Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 735 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 8, 2010, 10:37 JoeNapalm

As Twain liked to say...lies, damn lies, and statistics.

The article cites that more people who have dedicated gaming devices also play games on their smartphones.

Not exactly a revelation.

The article goes on to say that people are playing their DS/PSP less, and some people who own a DS/PSP don't play them at all...

Which makes sense - but it doesn't mean that it's because of smartphones. Correlation /= causation.

I mean, Hell, I fall into the category of someone who owns a PSP, no longer plays games on it, and "plays games on a smartphone" (which is to say I play about 10 minutes of Sudoku in an airport now and then).

The fact that I play some crappy free game on my smartphone has absolutely nothing to do with the PSP. Heck, it probably has more to do with the fact that the luggage pocket I used to put my PSP in, I now stuff with a Kindle.

Prob & Stat, along with logic, should be a required course in High School and/or College. Too many people fall for the old "If A = B, then C!" non-sequitur trick.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA's OnLive Skepticism
18. Re: EA's OnLive Skepticism Dec 8, 2010, 10:01 JoeNapalm

ibm wrote on Dec 8, 2010, 07:31:
Doesn't seem that long ago when 150ms was very acceptable. If you had lower than that you were a LPB and usually labelled a cheat

I must be a LPB, then...I haven't considered a ping of 150ms as acceptable since pre-1996.

America is behind the curve on broadband, but it isn't like it's unobtainable to a vast chunk of the market, now. Sure, having a low ping will make OnLine work better, but it's also going to increase the user's expectations - OnLive is always going to have more latency.

It might look great on paper, and may even work well for a certain subset of games. But I can't see how it can ever be successful as anything other than a cheaper alternative to consoles.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
3. Re: Hardware Reviews Dec 7, 2010, 17:06 JoeNapalm

Jay wrote on Dec 7, 2010, 11:54:
GTX 570 sounds absolutely awesome.
I just ordered a 470 last week and starting to feel a pinch of regret. Although it's almost $100 cheaper and comes with free games I actually want to play.

Try not to let it gnaw at you too much.

One thing I learned a long (long) time ago is that if you wait for the next awesome component to come out, you'd never buy anything.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch
17. Re: In other related news... Dec 7, 2010, 16:43 JoeNapalm

Blue wrote on Dec 7, 2010, 14:53:

There's already a business that follows this model. It's called the military.

Man! They beat me to it.

Again!

(Well played, Blue...well played...*Grin*)

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch
5. Re: In other related news... Dec 7, 2010, 12:02 JoeNapalm

My GOD! I just had a brainwave.

I'll start a buisness. Everyone I hire, I will title as Level 1 Peons/Widgeteers/Treeslayers/Code Warriors/etc.

For every set amount of time they clock, call it a full Quarter or whatever, they gain a level. When they complete a project, they get loot - an upgraded keyboard, a better pen, maybe a chair that doesn't make their legs go numb or their back hurt so much. (Or maybe I just throw some glittery crap on it, add some spikes or LEDs or something.)

Oh, and "higher level" workers get a better dress code. Noobs have to wear coveralls. Top level people get tuxedos with built-in special effects.

People who take sick days or vacation get a negative modifier on their earned "XP".

I mean, it's just a rough idea - I'll have to hammer out the details...maybe even pay them...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist (and future Mega-Billionaire)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2010, 11:23 JoeNapalm

That Airedale looks like a tiny version of the one my family used to have...

...though we never tried to dress him up like Godzilla.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Warsoup Revealed
2. Re: Warsoup Revealed Dec 7, 2010, 09:50 JoeNapalm

For some reason that vid makes me want to dig around in the back of my closet for Giants: Citizen Kabuto.

Looks more like that plus Halo than SC2.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > The Great Steam Treasure Hunt Begins
19. Re: The Great Steam Treasure Hunt Begins Dec 7, 2010, 09:32 JoeNapalm

Jumping Springheel Jack!

People are actually whining about this?!

Some people would complain if they won the damn lottery!

It's 100 free games. If they don't bloody have 100 free games that you'd want - for FREE, mind you - out of their library of thousands of games...then just take the flippin' ones you'd want!

Mind you, none of the people griping about this promo are going to be among the three grand prize winners - but it's a good promo, nobody's making anybody buy anything, and it's a good bloody prize.

Heck, in typical Valve fashion, they even put the games on sale - will they make money? Hell yeah. Shame on them for being in business to make money. It's not like it's @$%^ing horse armor.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 7, 2010, 09:11 JoeNapalm

Basically, the article says they would if someone payed them enough.

Which is less bad than I was fearing - for instance, it sounds like they're too far along to screw Shogun 2 up with this sort of backward thinking.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2010, 17:05 JoeNapalm

Creston wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 16:50:
I'm loving AC2, and will pick up Brotherhood as soon as I'm done with it.

Creston

Eh, so I'm not the only one this far behind the curve? Heh.

Though, judging from the game so far - it may take a quite awhile to work through it. Seems like I've barely scratched the surface.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 6, 2010, 17:02 JoeNapalm

Agreed - the PSP is a serious piece of hardware.

But the UMD stuff was obviously handled by drunken monkeys (and not the Kung Fu kind). An, of course, the game library...I played the heck out of a few great games, but mostly...few and far between enough to allow me to forget I owned the damn thing.

Oh, and Sony bricking the damn thing with every other update wasn't exactly helpful. I know they wanted me to pay $90 for them to fix it, but my buddy had the gear to do so for free, or it would have been pitched out a long time ago.

Sony's biggest obstacle with the PSP2 is...Sony.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Tomb Raider Reboot Announced
31. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 14:56 JoeNapalm

kxmode wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 14:51:

TOMB RAIDER: MODERN WARFARE: EPISODE 1

"She leads an elite team of Tomb Raiders® behind enemy lines to blaze a trail of glory while seeking treasure! Enemies beware! She kicks ass while taking names!"

Maybe they'll take the Max Payne route, and make Laura an old, fat drunk?

Possibly with daddy issues, just to add "depth" to the character.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2010, 14:53 JoeNapalm

Sounds a lot like The Ship.

"ACB" motivated me to get AC2. I guess the smart thing to do would be just get Brotherhood, as that's what I want to play...but I actually enjoyed the first one quite a bit, so why not?

(Other than the fact that by the time I get to Brotherhood I'll be a noob in sheeps clothing in comparison to the people who have played it to death...)

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatraite

29. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 14:44 JoeNapalm

Beamer wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 14:21:
Creston this is exciting!

The enthusiasm sells the joke perfectly!

Wait...joke? Aw man!

I was really looking forward to Text Raider!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patch Nears
5. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patch Nears Dec 6, 2010, 14:35 JoeNapalm

Techie714 © wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 14:30:
From what I've heard in the forums & Beth Blog, this patch is supposed to be the "big one" hundreds of fixes should be included.

Cool - an incentive to get me to go finish it.

Not that I was having serious issues, just many many little ones...which, as we know, is par for the Bethesda course - it just got old.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2010, 12:48 JoeNapalm

WyldKat wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 12:12:
Australian gamers should, in turn, lobby against the Bible because of all the violence, misogyny, and bigoted content that is unsuitable for fertile minds under the age of 18. I mean really they're after protecting the youth from harmful material, right?

I dunno, man. I poured holy water in my PC and it stopped working.

There was even a foul smelling mist that rose from the remains.

I think that should be proof enough that it was powered by evil spirits.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

13. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 12:44 JoeNapalm

Ah, but you forget those insidious foes, the marketing wonks!

By harvesting your IP and your DOB, they gain data that they can grind up for their potions and brews.

That aside, don't forget that it doesn't have WORK, they just have to cover their butts. If they say they let you in, but only after they asked your age and you lied about it, then the blame for any age-inappropriate material you might view is on you. Kinda like a movie rating on cable...they told you the rating, so don't be all offended by the content.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

3. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 11:02 JoeNapalm

CommunistHamster wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 10:54:
So, we've had acronyms in vogue (S.T.A.L.K.E.R., F.E.A.R.), dodgy punctuation (DiRT), leetspeak (F3AR), Title:subtitle (too many to name), I guess we've arrived at ALLCAPS names now.

Don't worry! The sequel (announced before this game goes gold) will be an MMO titled:

T.O.M.B.R.A.I.D.E.R.: WoRlD oF C|20F+C|24F+ - Agamemnon Gambit

(I joke, but inside I cringe that it may be too close to the truth.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview
17. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 6, 2010, 09:54 JoeNapalm

Rattlehead wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 01:28:
Minecraft is the most overrated indie game since mount and blade, it's basically legos with shitty graphics.

You do realize that both of those games were developed by "dev teams" of one (1) guy, right? No hundred-man art teams, there. Heck, Minecraft is in ALPHA!

Even triple-A titles tend to look like crap in Alpha, because their resources are directed toward getting features working, not making it pretty.

M&B:Warband features very respectable graphics for an indy game - once they got some money, they could spend the time to pretty things up. Notch is expanding his team from just himself to about 20 people, so I'm guessing some of those are artists.

Obviously, you're entitled to like or dislike whatever games your inclined to - but both of these are top notch (no pun intended) open-world do-whatever-the-@#$%-you-please games. Both are very successful (for indy games). Could it be that you just don't like that kind of game? I mean, yeah, if you think legos are dumb, Minecraft probably doesn't hold much for you...

...but a lot of people like Legos...

A gazillion people like a lot of stuff I don't understand, I know that.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Updates
15. Re: the irony award goes to... Dec 3, 2010, 17:00 JoeNapalm

ockky wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 16:54:

mage != wizard != sorcerer != warlock != elephants

mage
- 1 of 1 thesaurus result
Main Entry: conjuror
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: magician
Synonyms: enchanter, juggler, mage, sear, shaman, sorcerer, warlock, witch, wizard

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

735 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo