Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 738 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale - GOG.com Sale, New Humble Indie Bundle
32. Re: On Sale - GOG.com Sale, New Humble Indie Bundle Dec 15, 2010, 14:51 JoeNapalm

Esoteric wrote on Dec 15, 2010, 10:28:
Haha, I see Notch from Minecraft contributed 2,000 on the Humble Bundle, nice.

That's a pretty classy move, really.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > OnLive Claims Cloud Gaming Patent
24. Re: OnLive Claims Cloud Gaming Patent Dec 15, 2010, 14:28 JoeNapalm

Dev wrote on Dec 15, 2010, 01:56:
So what part is wireless again?

The perpetually misused buzzword part.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Dec 15, 2010, 14:16 JoeNapalm

Back in college, while I was working my butt off to hammer out code to solve all sorts of bizarre hypothetical scenarios (mostly involving towers and chess boards), I let my then-girlfriend talk me into taking a graduate level English class.

I only got into the class because she pulled some strings with the instructor...it wasn't like I had the pre-reqs, being a computer geek.

Damn, that was the easiest four credits of 4.0 that I ever earned. Somewhere early on, it dawned on me that while I was used to something as insignificant as a misplaced semi-colon or parenthesis being difference between success and failure - for that class all I had to do was A) have an opinion, and B) find someone at the library who shared that opinion.

This dude just failed Part B.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 15, 2010, 13:29 JoeNapalm

While I, too, find Quantum computing to be fascinating...you've basically got a computer that (if we could build one, which we can't) could return the answer to your question before you answered it.

It just might not be right.

I say we hook that baby up to NORAD post haste.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Dec 15, 2010, 12:21 JoeNapalm

Stanly Manly wrote on Dec 15, 2010, 12:09:
How do these "journalists" even get hired? I mean, what kind of company pays some community college dropout to freebase some meth and then write some random bullshit about a subject they know nothing about?

Fox News?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Dec 15, 2010, 11:06 JoeNapalm

WoW going F2P?

The article overlooks one glaringly obvious fact - millions of people are currently paying for subscriptions. Yeah, they're "testing the waters" on microtransactions - to make even MORE money...

...but WoW will not go F2P until they cease making obscene amounts of money off of subscriptions. Microtransactions might be the Next Big Thing, but Blizzard isn't going to kill the goose that is laying vast troves of golden eggs simply because someone else might give them some eggs.

Is F2P WoW inevitable? Maybe. But not in the foreseeable future.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Ender's Game Project Cancelled
24. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 15, 2010, 10:01 JoeNapalm

JohnBirshire wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 21:27:
I don't know what the game would be like, 90% of the book was training exercises in a no gravity dome or something of that nature from what I can remember.

There doesn't seem to be much in the book that a game could be made out of.

Actually, Homeworld basically is Ender's Game.

I mean the actual "game" that Ender was playing...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Warface Footage
3. Re: Warface Footage Dec 14, 2010, 13:31 JoeNapalm

Private Pyle, what are you trying to do to my beloved Corps?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 14, 2010, 13:13 JoeNapalm

I love these Netflix articles. Reminds me of all that tough talk from Blockbuster.

Hey, a little tip for you, Mr. Bewkes - if you're trying to make it appear as if you're not worried about Netflix, maybe you...the CEO...shouldn't be the one dismissing them as insignificant?

Merely the act of the CEO speaking about Netflix, no matter what he says, sends a message...and that message is that Netflix is a big enough deal to have his attention.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Cataclysm Sells 3.3m in 24 Hours
23. Re: Cataclysm Sells 3.3m in 24 Hours Dec 13, 2010, 12:56 JoeNapalm

AnointedSword wrote on Dec 13, 2010, 11:37:
JoeNapalm...why are you so concerned about what others make? Stop focusing on the negative and go after success yourself. Unless you are an alien, I believe anyone can be successful if they have the right mindset. Btw, I am not nerding out on you. I am trying to open your eyes to the truth. I have started my own business and I am my own boss. There is also a flip side of having your own business. You have to get out there and bring the money in because no one will cut you check for just showing up.

Call up your local internet provider and ask them how much it was cost to host for 3million plus people. Once you get that number, let me know if you think running a business is all fun and games.

Well said, TJ.

Uh...what?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2010, 13:22.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Trailer
2. Re: Batman: Arkham City Trailer Dec 13, 2010, 11:52 JoeNapalm

Batman: Arkham Asylum was a great game, visually.

A great game, in general, but they did a very good job of translating the input from the player into a movie-like effect on the screen.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Cataclysm Sells 3.3m in 24 Hours
2. Re: Cataclysm Sells 3.3m in 24 Hours Dec 13, 2010, 11:28 JoeNapalm

Lemme see here...3,300,000 x $40...carry the one...

Yup, that's $132M in a day.

Or $5.5M an hour.

In effect, damn near $100K a minute.

Without considering subscriptions, Collector's Editions, etc.

Now, before y'all nerd out on me about net vs gross and market variables, currency differences, Asia, etc...I think we can all agree that they just made a huge bucket of green, green money.

I can already hear the new WoW clones crowding the wings. Hail Blizzard, those who are about to die a quick and painful death seek to emulate you.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patch Next Week
6. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patch Next Week Dec 10, 2010, 14:34 JoeNapalm

GarrettTX1 wrote on Dec 10, 2010, 14:12:
Was going to buy it on day one - but thankfully read the Bethesda forums for a few days first. Also, almost grabbed it yesterday - but will hold of until after it's released and then can read their forums again for a few days....

Not sure what the term "QA" actually means to game developers anymore...

Basically what you just described...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar
16. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 10, 2010, 10:02 JoeNapalm

Rockn-Roll wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 21:02:
Making an average 10hour long game = $2,000,000/year for 3 years.
Cost of an average game to the end user: $60.
Mowing an average 50ft by 50ft lawn once a week = $10/week for 6 weeks.
Raking leaves on a 50ft by 50ft lawn once a week = $10/week for 6 weeks.

Do the math...games are cheap to the end user. Find some lawns to mow or rake and let those of us that like to work and play do it without sad remarks from the Lazy Lizards.

I know I should ignore the troll, as you all have done so admirably...but WTF does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

By your logic, the average cost of milk is $3.50 a gallon, therefore I should be happy to pay an extra $10,000 for a car.

The issue at hand is COD games costing more than the generally established price point of a game, yet having fewer features. If you regularly pay $10 for a movie ticket, yet a particular new release cost $15 but was only 45 minutes long, you'd probably not be happy.

Or rather, based on your comment, you'd not only be happy, but tell anyone who complained about it to get a job. PT Barnum would have @#$%ing loved you, man.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle on Steam
3. Re: Humble Indie Bundle on Steam Dec 9, 2010, 16:33 JoeNapalm

I think I've bought Lugaru like three times, now...

...but I'm okay with that.

I wonder if I activate my code if I can give any duplicate games to my friends?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > EA: A Decade of The Old Republic Won't Need Millions of Subs
41. Re: EA: A Decade of The Old Republic Won't Need Millions of Subs Dec 8, 2010, 17:56 JoeNapalm

Cutter wrote on Dec 8, 2010, 17:14:
The whole genre needs a reboot. It's gone way too far off track. It was us old school PnP/MUDders who created this damn genre so I know what I speak.

Except that it's come full circle, and now WoW is bleeding over into PnP (D&D 4e).

All of these publishers and devs have $$ in their eyes, still. As long as people are foolish enough to think that the fortunes WoW earns are still up for grabs, they'll keep adding to the bonepile.

How hard is it to understand that it's a finite market? Blizzard's the Alpha, and the rest of the pack are fighting over scraps.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 8, 2010, 16:57 JoeNapalm

m0deth wrote on Dec 8, 2010, 16:13:
If this is all it has to offer, I'll pass, I'm no fan of the "cloud" which is nothing more than the ancient server/thin client model over IP.

Glad to hear someone else say it. There are, of course, technical and economic differences - but it's not terribly different from the old mainframe/dumb terminal arrangements from the '70s.

It has it's place, but it's not gaming. I'm looking at you, OnLive....

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 8, 2010, 16:48 JoeNapalm

Beamer wrote on Dec 8, 2010, 16:33:
Gaming PCs? Probably about 3 million.

Thank god I'm not the dick to say it.

My guess? Nobody bloody knows.

How do you track that, when anyone with a little bit of know-how can throw a nice rig together on their kitchen table?

Probably another reason that so many are so interested in proclaiming the death of the PC, come to think of it...@#$%s up their precious marketing metrics.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

31. Re: EA: A Decade of The Old Republic Won't Need Millions of Subs Dec 8, 2010, 16:23 JoeNapalm

Hey, if we're talking about what Blizzard did right, let's not forget what they really do BEST - which is take other people's ideas and make them better.

Well, if not better, then more polished.

If I were one of the guys behind Games Workshop, I'd probably drink a lot...

...a lot more, anyway...

*Grin*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

22. Re: EA: A Decade of The Old Republic Won't Need Millions of Subs Dec 8, 2010, 14:58 JoeNapalm

[Edit: Verno and Entropy beat me to it.]

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

738 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo