Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 739 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam
23. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 20, 2010, 15:40 JoeNapalm

Too many various responses to quote them all, so I'll just hit the high points.

Obviously, anyone who only gives 1 cent is not so bloody poor that they can't afford more, or else they wouldn't have a machine to play on or electricity to run it on.

I'm not saying that everyone has to give a lot - but to give one cent is lame. If the games are only worth 1 cent to you, why even play them? If they were only worth that, you wouldn't even download them.

As for the tipping thing - in this country (the US), it is an accepted practice and courtesy to tip your server. No, you don't HAVE to pay, but it is widely accepted as both insulting and the action of a cheapskate. It's not enforced, any more than saying "please" and "thank you" or waiting your turn in line - but you can't be discourteous and then be offended when someone says it's discourteous.

Or rather you can, but most people are going to still think you're a jerk.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 20, 2010, 14:53 JoeNapalm

Prez wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 14:42:
Hey, "Pay what you want" MEANS "Pay what you want." If nothing else, the games and developers are getting more exposure than they ever would otherwise. And it has brought in over a million bucks. That's impressive.

I suppose you don't believe in tips, either?

Yeah, you can pay what you want...but the point of the thing is that you should pay what you think the games are worth to you - as well as giving you the opportunity to support a great charity like Child's Play.

If you want to pay 1 you CAN...but don't be upset if people think that's a lame thing to do.

-Jn-
Ifirit Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Dec 20, 2010, 14:45 JoeNapalm

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 12:36:
BTW AC2 is Asheron's Call 2 for many of us which longer exists. If you are going to use an acronym, make sure it uniquely identifies the game.

Is this a diatribe on FPS games, because I don't find in true in MMO's?

As Asheron's Call 2 has been long dead (for damn near five years) and Assassin's Creed 2 was released about a year ago...I figured most people would be able to figure it out.

Even were that NOT the case, any chimpanzee with enough grey matter to actually comprehend the post would be able to figure out what I was talking about from the context. What game it was doesn't even matter.

An no, the commentary doesn't apply to games that don't use regenerating health or overly simplified dynamics (ie, PC only games like most MMOs).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

7. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 20, 2010, 14:35 JoeNapalm

peteham wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 13:28:
Ugh, looking at the average, people must be paying douchetacular amounts, like $0.01... Seeing a median value would be interesting, though probably depressing as well.

That is really pathetic.

I mean, ripping off Indy devs is low. But ripping off Indy devs AND sick kids?

Anyone who does that deserves to have Santa take a dump in their stocking.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

1. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 20, 2010, 13:23 JoeNapalm

Humble Bundle + Child's Play = Awesome.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Dec 20, 2010, 11:46 JoeNapalm

I usually play on my PC, in the seclusion of my den, and my wife doesn't see the games much, but recently I was playing AC2 on the PS3 on the big screen, and my wife has been watching (while playing tetris on her laptop).

She asked me, just yesterday "Is this game really easy, or are you just a total bad ass?"

My response was, of course, that I am a total bad ass - but just between us, I don't even know if you CAN die in combat in AC2. I play stealthy because it's fun, but really...I can kill any number of foes, and I don't even have to play well.

And there's not even regenerating health.

Not an indictment of AC2 - just of lowest-common-denominator gaming.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Steam Top 10
22. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 11:19 JoeNapalm

I missed the Killing Floor sale.

Again.

*sigh*

I blame AC2, which I finally finished so I can play the new one.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > SEGA on Aliens Colonial Marines Status
4. Re: SEGA on Aliens Colonial Marines Status Dec 20, 2010, 10:58 JoeNapalm

Wasn't this supposed to be an RPG?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Planetside Next Beta Nears
20. Re: Planetside Next Beta Nears Dec 20, 2010, 10:57 JoeNapalm

Please...please...please...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Blizzard Confirms Titan MMOG
56. Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan MMOG Dec 17, 2010, 16:38 JoeNapalm

Creston wrote on Dec 17, 2010, 16:33:
kxmode wrote on Dec 17, 2010, 14:26:
Creston wrote on Dec 17, 2010, 12:05:
kxmode wrote on Dec 17, 2010, 11:31:
Blah blah blah. Blah blah, blee blee blah. *sad face*

I wish we could embed pictures, because this SCREAMS for Sad Keanu holding a copy of Cataclysm.

http://www.kxmode.com/tmp/sad-keanu-cataclysm.jpg

You, sir, are a God amongst men.

Creston

I sure hope you were directing that at kxmode, not Keanu.

*Grin*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 17, 2010, 16:04 JoeNapalm

Pretty sure it's not magic.

Oh, but I'm sure someone out there believes that it is.

They'll probably be burned along with copies of Harry Potter novels, in some places...*eyeroll*

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

53. Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan MMOG Dec 17, 2010, 15:57 JoeNapalm

AnointedSword wrote on Dec 17, 2010, 11:14:
Oh yes, the pride of some of us to think our opinion is the only opinion that matters. All you guys that say Wow sucks please enlighten me with a better and more polished mmorpg? Please do because I would probably play it.

Ahhh lookie!? It is Joe Napalm again! God figure.I should have known that the capitalist hating machine would be here:)

Here is a good video that talks about capitalism. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWsx1X8PV_A

I say again...

Uh, what?

Dude, I don't know what kind of glue you're sniffing, but every time you reply to me, it's like reading the rantings of someone who is in the throes of a psychotic break. Nothing you have EVER said to me has EVER had the slightest, most remote connection to anything I have EVER said.

I've curbed several harsh responses to this crap - because it's obvious you really have no idea what I'm talking about - but seriously, just knock it off.

I've checked your history, and you appear to have some particular problem with me, and me alone. I don't appreciate it. It's idiotic. It's embarrassing to watch, let alone be associated with simply as the target of your misdirected ire.

Do yourself a favor...next time you see one of my posts, just assume that you have no @#$%ing idea what language I'm speaking. The net effect will be the same, and it will save you the trouble of spewing nonsense and vitriol.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Mass Effect 2 to use ME3 engine Dec 17, 2010, 14:41 JoeNapalm

Verno wrote on Dec 17, 2010, 13:32:

Uhh, some people liked ME1, you realize that right? There is a middle ground between zero inventory and a billion useless things to tinker with. Bioware's design philosophy is too often all or nothing when there is a reasonable middle ground that would satisfy most types of players.

Exactly. It's like the neighbors complained that the dog was barking, so they shot it.

Don't like the cookie-cutter-ness of the planet missions? DEAD. Don't like the cumbersome console inventory interface? DEAD. Don't like some of the oddities of Mako handling? DEAD.

Sadly, I don't expect much from ME3 or DA2. I loved the previous games, warts and all, but Bioware is blinded by dollar signs, at this point...love of the game has been smothered by the love of big, heaping piles of gold.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Trial
17. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Trial Dec 17, 2010, 14:18 JoeNapalm

Creston wrote on Dec 17, 2010, 11:56:
Is there seriously someone who owns WoW, Burning Crusade and Lich King and DOESN'T have Cataclysm? This free trial seems aimed at a subset of WoW fan that quite likely simply doesn't exist...

Creston

+1 here, as well. Finally swore it off for good right after WotLK was released, actually...

I don't hate the game, like so many seem to - they're like people who've left the religion of their upbringing, seems like - but I have too little time and too many games to play to sink all my free attention into this mire.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

41. Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan MMOG Dec 17, 2010, 11:10 JoeNapalm

Verno wrote on Dec 17, 2010, 10:29:
Actually this is all a fake universe created by Blizzard, we're secretly hooked up to bio-machines which are using humans as the power source for their MMO servers.

You're our only hope Neo-sauron, take the red pill. Anxious

I don't buy that...Blizzard doesn't create Universes...they steal them and make them more marketable.

They're really damn good at it, but creating isn't their thing.

Other than that, I find your Coppertop theory entirely plausible, of course. *Grin*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

23. Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan MMOG Dec 17, 2010, 09:17 JoeNapalm

space captain wrote on Dec 17, 2010, 08:54:
still wanna see Planetside 2.. im seriously down for that

Ooooh yeah.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 17, 2010, 08:55 JoeNapalm

1/4 Of Game Console Owners Watch Broadband Video.

Only 25%?

I'm really sort of surprised.

I mean, streaming Netflix is so convenient it's silly.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Delay
3. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Delay Dec 16, 2010, 10:18 JoeNapalm

Techie714 wrote on Dec 16, 2010, 10:03:
Square Enix cited slow sales and industry criticism of some of its major game titles launched earlier this year, and said it wanted to concentrate on achieving high quality for its upcoming titles.

Interesting, I guess it needs even more work. I'm really hesitant on this title, it will either be a massive hit or a total waste....I dont see a lot of middle ground on this big release.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it was both - a total waste that is a massive hit.

Happens all the time.

It would be awesome if they could do it justice, but in the current climate...it seems almost inevitable that it will be lobotomized to appeal to a "wider audience"...

I guess I shouldn't be saddened by that - my backlog of games gets ridiculous this time of year...I'll have plenty to play in April, still.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: WoW ownership Dec 16, 2010, 10:08 JoeNapalm

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 15, 2010, 22:18:
What i don't own when I pay for, is something i don't feel bad not to pay for.

Which brings me to a funny conclusion.

Legal
Pay money - Own nothing

Warez
Pay nothing - Own warez (copy)

The fact that games are supposed to be "licenses for entertainment" is hilarious, i am not paying for the promise of entertainment. I am paying for a digital copy of a game. Once i pay for it, it is MY digital copy, and i don't care what big-money or the law says about that.

However - for MMO's its fairly obvious and logical that you don't own the game

More like:

Legal
Pay money - own rights to license to use the software

Warez
Pay nothing - get owned by malicious crap built into the warez

Strangely enough, "Big Money" and the Law don't care that you don't care. You ARE paying for a digital copy of the game, but NOT the rights to do anything you want with it. They wouldn't need this convoluted lawyer-speak if people would just be honest and pay for what they play.

You can justify it to yourself any way you want, but there is absolutely no difference between warez and shoplifting, just as there is no difference between digital distro vs a boxed copy.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Alien Hallway
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alien Hallway Dec 15, 2010, 16:52 JoeNapalm

In an effort to lower the bar on creativity, the next Sigma Team game was announced, titled "GAME".

It is an adrenaline-fueled thrill-ride, where players hit buttons on their keyboards, testing their mettle against colored pixels.

With an easy [sic] approachable interface, GAME requires no input from the user, allowing gamers to focus all of their attention on monolithic apathy and postmodern ennui! (Optional Fog-O-Matic gaming mirror controller sold seperately!)

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

739 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo