Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 738 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 11, 2011, 09:28 JoeNapalm

What does the Constitution say about video games? That's easy:

"Congress will make no law abridging the freedom of speech."

Not sure where there's a grey area, there.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: PS3 hack Jan 10, 2011, 14:50 JoeNapalm

Creston wrote on Jan 10, 2011, 13:15:
Stupid, stupid Sony. Maybe next time when you offer a well-liked feature, you'll think twice about just removing it on a whim, for basically no reason whatsoever? Morons.

Creston

Dude, Planetside taught me many things...and one of them is that Sony is a masochist.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum on Steam
23. Re: Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum on Steam Dec 28, 2010, 10:14 JoeNapalm

NWN2 had some rough spots, but I still often think fondly back to my Elf Fighter's courageous one-man stand at the gates to his castle vs a Vampire onslaught.

I got most of the way through MotB and lost interest. I think I just got frustrated with the consistently Bioware plot rails of the day.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > On Sale
15. Re: On Sale Dec 28, 2010, 09:17 JoeNapalm

Creston wrote on Dec 28, 2010, 00:31:
Techie714 wrote on Dec 28, 2010, 00:05:
So far I've dumped about 13 hours into Just Cause 2. Terrible storyline with awful voice acting but great game mechanics & a lot of fun.

Not that it really matters, but I'd like to point out that the terrible storyline and awful voice acting in the game are deliberately done that way. It's called "camp." It's meant to be ridiculous and over the top. How are they ever going to do a game of a guy who stunt-jumps off and onto flying 747s while pulling parachutes out of his ass, and surviving terminal velocity by going FASTER, if they write a serious story behind it? It just wouldn't work.

It amazes me how nobody recognizes campy stuff anymore nowadays. Quite a few reviews of the game bitched about the "terrible voice acting."

Sigh.

Creston

Man, you just made me very nostalgic for NOLF.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Bulletstorm Using GFWL [Updated]
12. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL? Dec 23, 2010, 14:20 JoeNapalm

Dirwulf wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 13:47:
Actually Creston, you do get Xbox Achievements through the GFWL version of Batman, so that is something :P.

I don't want to speak for Creston, but as I share his annoyance with the GFMFWL in Arkham Asylum, allow me to respond:

Whoopde@#$%ing do.

Whoever coded that piece of crap needs their fingers broken so they stop writing software.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > EA Down on In-Game Ads
7. Re: EA Down on In-Game Ads Dec 23, 2010, 14:16 JoeNapalm

Beamer wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 13:30:
I'd prefer an ad-supported free game to a microtransaction supported free game. Even if the ads make no sense in context.

Key term: "free game," since that's what he's discussing.

Yes - ads in a FREE GAME are fine. And I agree they are preferable to microstransactions (which tend to range from poorly handled (STO) to outright atrocity (Horse Armor)).

Product placement is done in most movies, and is generally fine - but they've done such a ham-handed approach to it in games...just don't put them in a game and charge full price, and put a little thought into maintaining the integrity of the experience, rather than the jarring and tasteless implementations we've seen in the past.

Oh, and I hate EA and marketing wonks.

Thank you.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > More Legal Fallout
14. Re: More Legal Fallout Dec 23, 2010, 14:10 JoeNapalm

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 13:58:
Tumbler wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 13:33:
Why are people mad at Interplay here?
Because Interplay needs to die, painfully. Followed by a round of rocks dropped on it from orbit, followed by 10 days of nuclear bombing.

Interplay deserves to die, and the ashes. Well we need to make sure there's nothing left of them.

What did Interplay ever do to you?

They gave us Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Freespace, Wasteland, Bard's Tale, Descent...

Yeah, so Black Isle got deep-sixed and Interplay fell on hard times, but I don't know of any reason to despise them. Hell, Bethesda has done more to earn people's ire than Interplay ever has, that I'm aware of.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2010, 10:53 JoeNapalm

What to get for the Blue in your life.

Airedales AND Scotch?

Man, Blue's got good taste.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > More Legal Fallout
1. Re: More Legal Fallout Dec 23, 2010, 10:41 JoeNapalm

However, Bethesda lawyers now claim that when Interplay licensed the rights to develop and publish Fallout Online from Bethesda back in 2007, it actually never had the rights to use any elements of the Fallout universe and Fallout games aside from the title Fallout itself."

This...this is a perfect is why Bill Shakespeare recommended that we 86 all lawyers.

I'm SURE they thought that Interplay only wanted to use the name, and nothing else. Yeah...I bet that's exactly what they thought. *sneer*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > On Sale
18. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2010, 09:16 JoeNapalm

JayDeath wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 09:00:
I don't know why Aliens vs. Predator got such a bad rap. I enjoyed it. The multiplayer was a bit wild for me but cool. 5 bucks is a real steal.

I keep wondering about this - but I end up not buying when I read all of the people who loved AVP2 that hate this one...

AVP2 was a classic. If this one is nothing like it, I'm bound to be disappointed.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Windows 8 and Gaming
38. Re: Windows 8 and Gaming Dec 23, 2010, 09:12 JoeNapalm

Microsoft promises to support PC gaming by moving all PC games to reservations and providing a huge supply of whiskey and pox-ridden blankets.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 22, 2010, 16:12 JoeNapalm

Data Hog, eh?

Nevermind that I PAY for a huge amount of bandwidth (and only receive a tiny fraction of what I'm actually paying for). That's not a problem...but if I want to watch bloody Netflix on my 18Mbps (of which I see like 10%) then I'm a data hog.

Asshattery.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 22, 2010, 14:03 JoeNapalm

In other news, a poll of marketing wonks reveals that they don't give a @#$% how people feel about privacy, and will do whatever they can get away with.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

PS - NoScript, AdBlock Plus, Ghostery, etc, etc...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 22, 2010, 13:24 JoeNapalm

I would be willing to bet they earned more than a vacation.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion
52. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion Dec 22, 2010, 09:48 JoeNapalm

The One wrote on Dec 22, 2010, 00:14:
Approximately 2 million retards parted with their money...I am one..I played it three times......and I am done. I am playing BF2 Vietnam which like MOH is way the fuck better....BF2V is so great that the maps are awesome in scope and playability......everyday is a good day in Nam...BBQ's Hamburger, sexy radio talk from Vietnamese hookers...hand grenades boat rides and chopper time....digging on the Jethro Tull.....it's fucking beautiful man.....

You had me at Jethro Tull.

Damn it!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Minecraft Enters Beta
32. Re: Minecraft Enters Beta Dec 21, 2010, 11:18 JoeNapalm

Verno wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 11:09:
The whole "alpha/beta/whatever" software tag thing is a well established trope by now thanks to web 2.0 buzzword sites and so on was my point

Firstly, Alpha and Beta aren't "tropes" - they're an established part of the software dev cycle.

A trope is a cliche or figure of speech. Alpha and Beta are actual conventions...not just some vague concept.

Most words have actual, agreed upon meanings. Failure to understand them doesn't mean you can say they mean whatever you want.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > Minecraft Enters Beta
28. Re: Minecraft Enters Beta Dec 21, 2010, 11:06 JoeNapalm

Whether or not you pay for it, Alpha and Beta are still terms that have meaning. The game, up to this point, has been advertised as Alpha - meaning that it's NOT a stable, feature complete, or fully functional release. Whether or not you pay to participate in the Alpha, it does not magically change the meaning of the word.

No one is making you pay for the Alpha. Indy games like this offer a discount on the release price to participate in the Alpha/Beta because they are indy games and therefore do not have the resources for a full-on testing team. It would be idiotic to pay a big dev house to participate in Alpha, but this was a ONE MAN SHOW - he needed funding and a team, so Minecraft enthusiasts could get 50% for helping address both birds with a single stone.

Yeah, Notch made a ton of money doing this, and can now afford a team - and is therefore ending this phase of the project (paid Alpha).

If you participate in Alpha or Beta, and expect a finished, polished game, you're an idiot and don't understand the dev cycle. If you paid for it, KNOWING IT'S ALPHA, and expect a finished product, you're a fool and an idiot.

Do you buy a used car and expect a new one? No, because you knew it was used when you paid for it.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam
31. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 20, 2010, 16:33 JoeNapalm

Prez wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 15:48:
JoeNapalm wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 14:53:
I suppose you don't believe in tips, either?

Yeah, you can pay what you want...but the point of the thing is that you should pay what you think the games are worth to you - as well as giving you the opportunity to support a great charity like Child's Play.

If you want to pay 1 you CAN...but don't be upset if people think that's a lame thing to do.

-Jn-
Ifirit Sophist

I paid 10 bucks. Not sure why you're so riled up with me. But like has been said, the devs deliberately avoided setting a minimum price, and accept that some people will be cheap(er than others).

And FWIW, I'm an excellent tipper as long as the service is good, i.e. prompt and friendly.

Ah, not riled up at you, personally, Prez. Or at anyone on Blue's. I'm annoyed by the thought of people paying nothing and thinking they're awesome for it.

Those people may, in fact, be imaginary. But still...to me...annoying. *Grin*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale Begins
1. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 20, 2010, 15:59 JoeNapalm

KHAAAAAAAAAAN!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam
23. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 20, 2010, 15:40 JoeNapalm

Too many various responses to quote them all, so I'll just hit the high points.

Obviously, anyone who only gives 1 cent is not so bloody poor that they can't afford more, or else they wouldn't have a machine to play on or electricity to run it on.

I'm not saying that everyone has to give a lot - but to give one cent is lame. If the games are only worth 1 cent to you, why even play them? If they were only worth that, you wouldn't even download them.

As for the tipping thing - in this country (the US), it is an accepted practice and courtesy to tip your server. No, you don't HAVE to pay, but it is widely accepted as both insulting and the action of a cheapskate. It's not enforced, any more than saying "please" and "thank you" or waiting your turn in line - but you can't be discourteous and then be offended when someone says it's discourteous.

Or rather you can, but most people are going to still think you're a jerk.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

738 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo