Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 748 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > DNF Uncut in Germany
7. Re: DNF Uncut in Germany Mar 3, 2011, 10:55 JoeNapalm

Ratty wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 10:52:
Well now I guess I'm not looking forward to it as much.

You...you were still looking forward to this?

Personally, my enthusiasm had pretty much already waned away over the last 14 years...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Minecraft and Red Dead Redemption Honored
7. Re: Minecraft and Red Dead Redemption Honored Mar 3, 2011, 10:49 JoeNapalm

Yeah, RDR is one of the few games that made me happy to have a PS3 (which I got mainly to be a BluRay player).

I loved RDR (great story, great voice acting, great production values, etc), really enjoyed the zombie expansion...but would have been better on the PC.

This is the game that forced me to get good at a shooter with a controller - but it's still like trying to play a game with half your brain tied behind your back. I'm "good" at RDR with a sixaxis (based on my experiences in multiplayer) but I totally suck compared to what I can do with a mouse.

Anyway - I agree with Creston...both games earned the honors. A lot of people don't "get" Minecraft, or might not like a Western GTA, but they are both examples of what games can be like when made with a bit of vision, rather than just an eye on the bottom line.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Mar 3, 2011, 10:33 JoeNapalm

Jerykk wrote on Mar 2, 2011, 23:35:
"Not at all. We're just trying to figure out how to bring Mirror's Edge back and in what way. That's part of the creative development process.

$10 says they turn it into a shooter with optional platforming.

Hold "A" to freerun quicktime melee kill.

*Sigh*

It's too bad...I think this was a failure of marketing more than the game.

I'm somewhat of a freerunning fan - too old and sane to really get into the sport, these days, but did some back in college (wasn't called freerunning or parkour back then...just being crazy ninja guys, really). That said, I never would have given Mirror's Edge a second look, based on the marketing, when it came out, except I got a free copy with a video card.

Ended up liking it enough to buy it when it went on sale on Steam, as I wanted to show some support. I mean, you can play through the game pretty easily in one sitting, but it's still fun.

Based on prior experience with EA, "fun" will not be part of expanding the audience.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > APB-Reloaded Beta Begins
5. Re: APB-Reloaded Beta Begins Mar 2, 2011, 14:10 JoeNapalm

Trooper119 wrote on Mar 2, 2011, 12:53:
GamersFirst has a really messed up account system. A lot of old information seemed to have been lost (I experienced a similar situation with trying to redeem my key to register for this section of the beta, using several accounts that no longer work that I know I've used several years back to get into their other games). If you make a new account you can redeem the key with the new account without any issues.

Old? No...I set up an account with them for this Beta, and they used that info to get me the key. This isn't something old that they lost...they just have a screwed up system.

I'm sure I can fix it by setting up a whole new account. The question is...will I?

The point is, RealTime Worlds did this same crap - including making it really hard to actually pay to play, and in the end they got 86ed by it.

GamersFirst has to understand that people coming back to this game bring the memories of those prior frustrations with them. I'm an advocate for APB - but if they're going to make this difficult all over again, I've got a backlog of games on Steam that are a doubleclick away...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > APB-Reloaded Beta Begins
2. Re: APB-Reloaded Beta Begins Mar 2, 2011, 12:02 JoeNapalm

I got a key, but the GamersFirst website has never allowed me to actually log in to redeem it.

It claims I have the wrong password, so I ask to reset it, at which point it tells me that my email address - the email address they sent the damn key to - isn't valid.

I'm willing to be an unpaid tester for your game, guys...heck, I've been a stalwart defender of the game's potential...but this is the exact same kind of crap that caused me to stop playing the first time around.

I want to play, but if you make it a chore, I've got better ways to spend my precious time.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Steam Top 10
28. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 28, 2011, 13:28 JoeNapalm

Jerykk wrote on Feb 27, 2011, 21:05:

3) Mouse smoothing and a framerate cap are enabled by default and the only way to turn them off is by editing the encrypted ini files.

So yeah, they could have put some more effort into the PC port.

FYI, you'll want to check out the stickies here for the ini stuff: http://www.bulletstormforum.com/bulletstorm-pc/

See...this alone is enough to make me stay away.

For the effort they put into trying to encrypt the .ini files, they could have just added in-game menu support.

Instead, they try to enforce their crappy console settings.

Asinine.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Doctor Who MMOG
12. Re: Doctor Who MMOG Feb 25, 2011, 09:57 JoeNapalm

I think they had a committee come up with the IP that was most beloved and least likely to succeed as an MMOG.

Then some asshat jumped on the table and shouted "It just might be crazy enough to work!"

I personally vote we waterboard that dude, the committee, and the table until they all apologize. (I suspect that table will be a tough nut to crack.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2011, 10:46 JoeNapalm

Love for B movies is unusual?

Huh.

-Jn-
Ifirit Sophist

News Comments > DRM Change for AC Brotherhood
26. Re: DRM Change for AC Brotherhood Feb 23, 2011, 09:22 JoeNapalm

While I'm all for decrying Ubi's boneheaded DRM policies - I think the exact statement as quoted indicates an initial online check (ie, on first launch) after which you can play offline single-player from then on.

This is not terribly intrusive. Annoying and insulting, yes, but a one-time check isn't really that far beyond the pale.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > X3: Terran Conflict Patch
3. Re: X3: Terran Conflict Patch Feb 18, 2011, 16:19 JoeNapalm

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 18, 2011, 14:30:
I bought this on Steam a while back, but have barely touched it since then. I got my ass kicked in the very first mission, which is basically the tutorial. I think it severely demoralized me!

I got it during a Steam sale, and played a little - seemed like something that was right up my alley...if I had the time for it.

While it's very good at the atmospheric use of emptiness and scale, I simply don't have TIME to watch my ship flying through the vasty nothingness.

My problem, not the game's, really.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Dragon Age II Demo Promotion
14. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Promotion Feb 18, 2011, 16:16 JoeNapalm

shul wrote on Feb 18, 2011, 15:34:
what is it with all of the negativity? so it's not as complicated as the first one, boo hoo.

If you don't like to play it simply go on , your whining is driving me crazy.

How can it be driving you crazy when you obviously haven't even read this thread?

The complaints, here, have been:
1) the increasingly annoying used-car-salesman inspired PR campaign,
2) the continuing trend toward carving out game content and then trying to sell it back to the customer piecemeal,
3) in a cop's apartment.

If you want to complain about people's complaining, at least be relevant.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

8. Re: BOOM HERE COMES THE BOOM HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW Feb 18, 2011, 13:33 JoeNapalm

Icewind wrote on Feb 18, 2011, 12:43:
Thankfully, there are better RPGs on the way such as:

This: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/index.htm

This: http://www.deadstate.doublebearproductions.com/faq/

And even this: http://pathofexile.com/

Thanks for the links - those look interesting.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Console Diablo III Confirmed?
17. Re: Console Diablo III Confirmed? Feb 18, 2011, 12:03 JoeNapalm

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 18, 2011, 11:56:
They should do it for consoles, why the hell not? That kind of gameplay is just fine with a pad, as many, many console games can prove.

The key is to make the PC version a good PC game. I don't care if every video game on the planet is on consoles, I just want quality PC versions of them. Does anyone here doubt Blizzard knows how to make a quality PC game? Come on...

Do you think that concessions will not be made that are detrimental to the PC game in order to increase sales for the console version?

Please.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Into the Black Feb 18, 2011, 11:34 JoeNapalm

Best show ever.

I can't see it coming back, now, though.

Too much time has passed, and the movie tied up too many loose ends.

[**SPOILERS:
The characters they off in the movie weren't pointless - they were killed to convince the audience that maybe Joss really would kill off everyone. Really, a pretty vicious and effective technique, when you know you're writing the final chapter.]

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

PS - "Into the Black" has always sounded like a Firefly episode to me.

1. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Promotion Feb 18, 2011, 11:15 JoeNapalm

Everything they do to promote this game reduces my enthusiasm for it.

Or, in terms that the wonks might just grok:

Marketing - you're doing it wrong.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > PC Gaming Alliance Adds Speaker Series, Loses MS & NVIDIA?
5. Re: PC Gaming Alliance Adds Speaker Series, Loses MS & NVIDIA? Feb 18, 2011, 11:12 JoeNapalm

Mr. Anisotonic wrote on Feb 18, 2011, 11:08:
By now I really wonder why this... organization?, still exists, they have never done anything noteworthy, nor received any support from the pc gaming community... on the contrary, we demand they they kick out Epic from the group because it makes the whole thing seem like no less than a joke.

I think the answer to your question is obvious - this group exists to create the illusion of support for PC gaming while serving as a platform to do the exact opposite.

Doublespeak is the way of things, these days.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > EA Departures
6. Re: EA Departures Feb 16, 2011, 17:07 JoeNapalm

Kajetan wrote on Feb 16, 2011, 16:37:
w34sl3 wrote on Feb 16, 2011, 12:21:
This story sounds like the same regurgitated speach we hear from EA every so many years. "Oh we really dropped the ball, but we are going to do much better now." Yeah ok, if that was really the case then they wouldn't have a continual track record of the same failing practices.
Yes, they sound like Peter Molyneux: "Uuh, my last game was sooo bad, but this one will be good! Really, i mean it this time!".

Funny you should say that...Molyneux left Bullfrog when they got bought by EA.

I forgive that man many sins, for he brought us Syndicate.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2011, 16:58 JoeNapalm

Dino BBQ!

Maaaan...now I'm hungry.

My folks were so happy to find that they could get Dinosaur BBQ sauce online that they had to call me to enthuse.

Say "Hi" to Upstate for me. Brrr!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Feb 16, 2011, 16:55 JoeNapalm

PHJF wrote on Feb 16, 2011, 14:49:
I know one director who would be willing to fund and direct it...

*shudder*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris Hotfix
1. Re: Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris Hotfix Feb 16, 2011, 13:41 JoeNapalm

Klingon Academy Modern Systems Patch
KlingonAcademy.com now offers a pair of community-created patches for Star Trek: Klingon Academy to allow the game to be played on modern systems. Word is: "The first fix corrects a fault that could cause the game to crash on modern multi-core systems and the second is a DirectX wrapper that corrects a number of rendering issues with the game." Thanks Jack.

Looks like a separate news item, Blue?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

748 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo