Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 738 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2011, 13:58 JoeNapalm

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 7, 2011, 13:41:
If "classic gamers" were actually buying the "classic RPGs" that they say they like, then little companies like Spiderweb Software would be huge and there would be a thriving "classic RPG" indie market, right?

Logical fallacy...denying the antecedent.

Do I need to spell that out, or can we just agree that your argument is obviously flawed and invalid?

Let me fix it for you:

"If 'classic gamers' were actually buying the 'classic RPGs' that they say they like, then DAO would be huge and there would be a thriving 'classic RPG' AAA market, right?"

Which there is...DAO made an obscene amount of money. EA/Bioware is just run by marketing wonks and bean counters and want to (forgive me) leverage their current market position by appealing to a wider audience.

You don't appeal to a wider audience by making things deeper and more complex...you do it by catering to the lowest common denominator.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
1. Re: Morning Screenshots Mar 7, 2011, 13:46 JoeNapalm

Normandy-3?!

What...are they going to...again...Oh, flaming Hell...

*sigh*

This is really going to be just silly, isn't it?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2011, 13:38 JoeNapalm

The only way to make them care, and to stop tearing the soul out of great IPs, is to not buy it.

Sure, they'll cry piracy. Hell, they might even stop developing for the PC altogether, because about 95% of the intelligence bell curve consists of idiots, and about 95% of those own a console (which isn't to say that owning a console makes you an idiot - just that if you're an idiot, you're much more likely to own a console than a custom built gaming rig).

Marketing to the lowest common denominator and cranking out a sequel every six months until the well runs dry is pure EA.

You're not gonna fix that by buying the eviscerated corpse of your beloved game with a "II" carved in it's forehead.

Just...don't buy it.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Patch Plans
6. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Patch Plans Mar 7, 2011, 13:21 JoeNapalm

Worthiness of the game aside...

...people who cheat in online games? Sad.

Just...sad.

Go play in God Mode single player...or, better yet, play without the h4x0rz and actually learn to play better.

I mean, if your self-esteem is so bloody low that clicking an "I Win" button makes you feel better about yourself, maybe it's time to indulge in some self-loathing, confront the slings and arrows, and maybe not be such a worthless shite?

Am I right? I'm right. You know I'm right.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 7, 2011, 09:08 JoeNapalm

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 7, 2011, 02:16:
I'm sure you will pirate the game and give the full version a try so please, I beg of you, play on hard and turn off the auto-tactics for your companions. If you still never need to pause or manage your party with tactics then wow, you're a fucking God and I salute you.

Well, I for one will not pirate it. Nor will I buy it (until it's on sale for less than I spend on lunch, anyway).

It's the principle. DAO, as it was, was good. DA:Awakenings was sort of pathetic...I played through it with my Sword & Board guy (nowhere near the killing machine that my Duel Wield guy is) and barely had to pay attention.

The beauty of DAO was that, if you set up your tactics intelligently, you only had to micro-manage for special cases. It was doubly rewarding - you felt good when you didn't have to baby-sit your NPCs during most fights, because it meant you'd done your tactics well - and you felt good when you won the hard fights where your tactics broke down, because you could adapt on the fly.

Shutting off the tactics is shutting off part of the game I actually enjoy.

And buying this game is endorsing a direction that Bioware is moving at an accelerating pace, a direction that I find distasteful and stupid.

So, no sale. Of course, that immediately makes me blood brothers to pirates, these days, in the eyes of the publishers, but screw em.

There's still Indies out there who appreciate my business and still want to make good PC games.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2011, 14:13 JoeNapalm

Stay. The fuck. Away. From Bladerunner.

Do you see my Avatar? Do you?

It's Deckard, and he ain't happy.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Mass Effect Speculation
4. Re: Mass Effect Speculation Mar 4, 2011, 11:25 JoeNapalm

Beamer wrote on Mar 4, 2011, 10:53:
PCG ate it up:
The best RPG combat ever. Not gaming's best story, but maybe its best storytelling. Darker, sexier, better. [Mar 2011, p.64]

As if that meant anything, anymore?

I want DA2 to be great - but if it's half as neutered as it seems, I hope that it gets rammed back down their throats with a vengeance.

Of course, if PC sales for DA2 don't shine, it will obviously be entirely due to piracy. Dozey

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Valve Announces Steam Guard
39. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 16:28 JoeNapalm

I'm going to wait to hear more about this before I make up my mind.

On one hand, this sounds a lot like the authorities coming around and saying "Hey, there's been a lot of break ins around here, we're going to put all new locks on your doors, free of charge" and everyone going nuts and shouting "OH MY GOD! You're going to lock us in and burn the house down, aren't you?! AREN'T YOU!?!?"

Kind of paranoid...

On the other hand...some parts of that article do have the faint scent of an accelerant, and while Valve hasn't done anything to me to deserve that kind of suspicion (yet), some of the people they hang out with are @#$%ing pyros (in terms of the analogy (though I think some of them really are pyromanics, too...I'm look at you Ubi)).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Quote of the Day II
18. Re: Quote of the Day II Mar 3, 2011, 16:10 JoeNapalm

C'mon guys...this isn't the first time we've seen MS trying to poison the well.

It's the logical fallacy of the loaded question...just like asking someone if they've stopped beating their wife.

It's really simple - if they come out and say "PC gaming is DEAD!" they have to defend that position...a position that most gamers have known for decades is total crap and being pushed by Microsoft because they want to own everything - the software AND the box you run it on (this isn't a tinfoil hat theory, it's MS's openly stated goal when they don't think they're addressing the unwashed masses (ie, gamers)).

But if they come out and say "PC gaming isn't dead!" when nobody bloody said it was, it plants the seed that someone must be making the case that PC gaming has gone the way of the Dodo. It puts anyone taking the position of the actual facts at the disadvantage of appearing to be on the defensive.

It's a commonly used, and quite smarmy, tactic amongst marketers, lawyers, and politicians.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Minecraft and Red Dead Redemption Honored
15. Re: Minecraft and Red Dead Redemption Honored Mar 3, 2011, 13:31 JoeNapalm

Bumpy wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 13:19:
Rented RDR on 360 and really didn't enjoy it much. Great production values but there just wasn't enough cool things to keep me interested.

Was just too empty and void.

Should of been done more like Oblivion where you find tons of caves, villages, loot, weapons, armor(clothes), unique places, strange people, etc..

Wait...RDR was empty, but Oblivion was full of strange and unique places and people?

Are you sure you have those titles on the right way?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > DNF Uncut in Germany
7. Re: DNF Uncut in Germany Mar 3, 2011, 10:55 JoeNapalm

Ratty wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 10:52:
Well now I guess I'm not looking forward to it as much.

You...you were still looking forward to this?

Personally, my enthusiasm had pretty much already waned away over the last 14 years...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Minecraft and Red Dead Redemption Honored
7. Re: Minecraft and Red Dead Redemption Honored Mar 3, 2011, 10:49 JoeNapalm

Yeah, RDR is one of the few games that made me happy to have a PS3 (which I got mainly to be a BluRay player).

I loved RDR (great story, great voice acting, great production values, etc), really enjoyed the zombie expansion...but would have been better on the PC.

This is the game that forced me to get good at a shooter with a controller - but it's still like trying to play a game with half your brain tied behind your back. I'm "good" at RDR with a sixaxis (based on my experiences in multiplayer) but I totally suck compared to what I can do with a mouse.

Anyway - I agree with Creston...both games earned the honors. A lot of people don't "get" Minecraft, or might not like a Western GTA, but they are both examples of what games can be like when made with a bit of vision, rather than just an eye on the bottom line.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Mar 3, 2011, 10:33 JoeNapalm

Jerykk wrote on Mar 2, 2011, 23:35:
"Not at all. We're just trying to figure out how to bring Mirror's Edge back and in what way. That's part of the creative development process.

$10 says they turn it into a shooter with optional platforming.

Hold "A" to freerun quicktime melee kill.

*Sigh*

It's too bad...I think this was a failure of marketing more than the game.

I'm somewhat of a freerunning fan - too old and sane to really get into the sport, these days, but did some back in college (wasn't called freerunning or parkour back then...just being crazy ninja guys, really). That said, I never would have given Mirror's Edge a second look, based on the marketing, when it came out, except I got a free copy with a video card.

Ended up liking it enough to buy it when it went on sale on Steam, as I wanted to show some support. I mean, you can play through the game pretty easily in one sitting, but it's still fun.

Based on prior experience with EA, "fun" will not be part of expanding the audience.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > APB-Reloaded Beta Begins
5. Re: APB-Reloaded Beta Begins Mar 2, 2011, 14:10 JoeNapalm

Trooper119 wrote on Mar 2, 2011, 12:53:
GamersFirst has a really messed up account system. A lot of old information seemed to have been lost (I experienced a similar situation with trying to redeem my key to register for this section of the beta, using several accounts that no longer work that I know I've used several years back to get into their other games). If you make a new account you can redeem the key with the new account without any issues.

Old? No...I set up an account with them for this Beta, and they used that info to get me the key. This isn't something old that they lost...they just have a screwed up system.

I'm sure I can fix it by setting up a whole new account. The question is...will I?

The point is, RealTime Worlds did this same crap - including making it really hard to actually pay to play, and in the end they got 86ed by it.

GamersFirst has to understand that people coming back to this game bring the memories of those prior frustrations with them. I'm an advocate for APB - but if they're going to make this difficult all over again, I've got a backlog of games on Steam that are a doubleclick away...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > APB-Reloaded Beta Begins
2. Re: APB-Reloaded Beta Begins Mar 2, 2011, 12:02 JoeNapalm

I got a key, but the GamersFirst website has never allowed me to actually log in to redeem it.

It claims I have the wrong password, so I ask to reset it, at which point it tells me that my email address - the email address they sent the damn key to - isn't valid.

I'm willing to be an unpaid tester for your game, guys...heck, I've been a stalwart defender of the game's potential...but this is the exact same kind of crap that caused me to stop playing the first time around.

I want to play, but if you make it a chore, I've got better ways to spend my precious time.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Steam Top 10
28. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 28, 2011, 13:28 JoeNapalm

Jerykk wrote on Feb 27, 2011, 21:05:

3) Mouse smoothing and a framerate cap are enabled by default and the only way to turn them off is by editing the encrypted ini files.

So yeah, they could have put some more effort into the PC port.

FYI, you'll want to check out the stickies here for the ini stuff: http://www.bulletstormforum.com/bulletstorm-pc/

See...this alone is enough to make me stay away.

For the effort they put into trying to encrypt the .ini files, they could have just added in-game menu support.

Instead, they try to enforce their crappy console settings.

Asinine.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Doctor Who MMOG
12. Re: Doctor Who MMOG Feb 25, 2011, 09:57 JoeNapalm

I think they had a committee come up with the IP that was most beloved and least likely to succeed as an MMOG.

Then some asshat jumped on the table and shouted "It just might be crazy enough to work!"

I personally vote we waterboard that dude, the committee, and the table until they all apologize. (I suspect that table will be a tough nut to crack.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2011, 10:46 JoeNapalm

Love for B movies is unusual?

Huh.

-Jn-
Ifirit Sophist

News Comments > DRM Change for AC Brotherhood
26. Re: DRM Change for AC Brotherhood Feb 23, 2011, 09:22 JoeNapalm

While I'm all for decrying Ubi's boneheaded DRM policies - I think the exact statement as quoted indicates an initial online check (ie, on first launch) after which you can play offline single-player from then on.

This is not terribly intrusive. Annoying and insulting, yes, but a one-time check isn't really that far beyond the pale.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > X3: Terran Conflict Patch
3. Re: X3: Terran Conflict Patch Feb 18, 2011, 16:19 JoeNapalm

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 18, 2011, 14:30:
I bought this on Steam a while back, but have barely touched it since then. I got my ass kicked in the very first mission, which is basically the tutorial. I think it severely demoralized me!

I got it during a Steam sale, and played a little - seemed like something that was right up my alley...if I had the time for it.

While it's very good at the atmospheric use of emptiness and scale, I simply don't have TIME to watch my ship flying through the vasty nothingness.

My problem, not the game's, really.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

738 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo