Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 737 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > More on Reclaim Your Game, Dragon Age II, and SecuROM
21. Re: More on Reclaim Your Game, Dragon Age II, and SecuROM Mar 14, 2011, 13:46 JoeNapalm

Verno wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 12:05:
They were smart about its release date if nothing else, its up against nothing right now. That being said its metacritic rating is quite low for a big budget title and that could potentially hurt its sales. The word of the mouth on the game isn't wonderful either. Unfortunately marketing is very effective with the casual/console crowd.

Its almost insulting that they tried to pass off a lesser sequel for a larger price tag.

Almost??

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: More on Reclaim Your Game, Dragon Age II, and SecuROM Mar 14, 2011, 11:05 JoeNapalm

killer_roach wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 10:46:
JoeNapalm wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 09:50:
Never mind that - they're obviously the victims of terrible libel, here.

I mean, they didn't use the SecuROM rootkit. They used a totally different rootkit, that just happens to use a lot of the same files.

Inquisitive

Except even the old-style SecuROM wasn't a rootkit. It ran in user space. Granted, it was a royal pain in the ass to get rid of, but that's not the same thing as being a rootkit.

Eh, it hides - but with no root, I guess you are right.

Here, I'll fix it:

"I mean, they didn't use the SecuROM rootkit trojan. They used a totally different rootkit trojan, that just happens to use a lot of the same files."

(There, is that better?)

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatraite

3. Re: More on Reclaim Your Game, Dragon Age II, and SecuROM Mar 14, 2011, 09:50 JoeNapalm

nin wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 09:38:

In related news, DA2 is still a watered down mess.

Never mind that - they're obviously the victims of terrible libel, here.

I mean, they didn't use the SecuROM rootkit. They used a totally different rootkit, that just happens to use a lot of the same files.

Inquisitive

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

[EDIT: There is no "a" in libel.]

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2011, 10:19.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Beta Patch
87. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 14, 2011, 09:41 JoeNapalm

Verno wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 08:47:
All of the forum cat fighting aside, this game really stinks for a few reasons:

- wave based combat removes tactical depth
- Boring, aimless plot
- Generic character archetypes
- higher difficulties add to tedium instead of challenge

Actually a few more than that but those are the big ones. If you only spend your time working on a single city then it better be interesting. High Town, Low Town, Dark Town? Is this game aimed at 12 year olds who need wealth disparity explicitly spelled out for them? The much hyped ten year plot mainly consists of retreading Kirkwall doing Fedex quests. The plot itself lacks any punch or attachment for the player. Hawke is just generic enough to be slightly boring but not enough that I could insert myself into the role, I think perhaps the dialogue wheels limited options came into play here.

It's a very frustrating game because any time you think they are taking a step forward with the design its actually not just two but three steps back somewhere else. The repeated levels are unforgivably lazy design and whats worse is that the lead developer tried to pass this off as no big deal in an interview. You can't make a sequel that is less of everything unless its somehow a better game for it, this game definitely is not.

Well said, Verno.

Teddy wrote:
That DA2 is a different style game than DA:O doesn't make the game that it is any worse simply because you enjoyed the original more.

Yeah, actually...it does. A mediocre stand-alone game can be viewed on its own limited merits, but a mediocre sequel is viewed in the light of its predecessor.

Episodes I - III were mediocre movies, but as sequels to the Star Wars Trilogy, they were truly awful.

For a sequel, the bar is set by what came before. The sequel picks up from there - that is the new high water mark. If they don't want to be judged in terms of DAO, then they shouldn't have used the name "Dragon Age".

Teddy, you and a few others are defending the game - I get that, you're allowed to like it. I've defended games that no one else seems to think are worth a damn. But what you CAN'T do is tell people that they're wrong to hate DA2 so much, or not to compare it to DAO.

Or you can, and have, but you're wasting your time.

Cause they do, and they're gonna.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Dragon Age II Beta Patch
21. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 19:34 JoeNapalm

Teddy wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 18:25:
It's also well known in the industry that gamers behave like children who will post metacritic reviews having never played the game. Better still are the idiots who post reviews that they LOVE the game top to bottom and give it a 1 because they can't figure out the website.

Regardless of what the whiners say, the game is good. It's not as good as the original in my opinion, but that doesn't automatically make it a 2/10 game. That's the true idiocy of gamers today, if it doesn't live up to what THEY expected from the game, all of a sudden it's the worst game of all time. If they'd had no expectation and it was a new IP that they tried, they'd give it a 7 or 8 instead.

Pure idiocy. A game sequel isn't scored according to how much you liked the original more, or what you were expecting from it. It's scored based on what it is. That's what gamers never seem to grasp about reviews and that's why official review scores typically vary so much from anonymous gamer review scores, particularly when involving a sequel.

It's pure idiocy to think that players aren't going to look at a sequel in comparison to the original.

While DA2 might have been a decent action game, it's the sequel to a well-liked RPG. The people who are trashing it in their ratings are rating it as a sequel to DAO.

The simple fact is the Bioware/EA decided to cash in for the quick money and broad demographic, just like they did with ME2 - but what those wonks don't realize is, they're doing irreparable harm to Bioware's reputation.

Sure, they can make big money in the short term, but they've cooked the goose that was laying the golden eggs. The asshats responsible don't care, though - they can probably live in style for the rest of their lives, and let the IPs what we all enjoyed wither and die.

I liked it better when gaming wasn't "mainstream"...It's gotten way too Hollywood.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Game Reviews Mar 9, 2011, 16:09 JoeNapalm

No one is claiming DAO was perfect.

But pretending that DAII is a step forward is a hard sell.

Even in your attempt to defend it comes off as mostly a list of things that are either unimproved or a step back.

You say it's deserving of the score I'm questioning...a 94...and then say you think it's about an 80. In terms of ratings, you're saying it deserves an "A" but you'd give it a "C".

(Yet we're the one's with mental issues. Dozey )

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > 3D DOOM Movie Reboot?
12. Re: 3D DOOM Movie Reboot? Mar 9, 2011, 15:39 JoeNapalm

Yeah - if you really want to do DOOM justice, do a 300-style movie that is 90% battle scenes, but instead of 300 Spartans vs 100,000 Persians, make it one badass Marine vs endless hordes of demons.

And add cheerleaders...cause Creston's right. Way better with cheerleaders.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

5. Re: Game Reviews Mar 9, 2011, 14:40 JoeNapalm

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 14:24:
Evan from PCgamer was complaining on Twitter yesterday about the accusation regarding that review.

He complained yesterday about something I said today?

Weird.

I can assume, then, that I'm not the only one who thought that?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

1. Re: Game Reviews Mar 9, 2011, 14:02 JoeNapalm

Is it just me, or does that PC Gamer review seem...well...

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the damn thing reads like he was given a list of bullet points and buzz words to hit.

By EA.

The thing reads just like one of their press releases, right down to the tone and phrasing.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Dragon Age II and High-Rez Patch Released
68. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 15:29 JoeNapalm

Elessar wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:52:
nin wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:49:
so the Press A issue doesn't really apply.

But how will awesome things happen?!?!?!
If you press A, you will more than likely move or strafe to the left. There may be something awesome over to the left though.

I don't know what's over there to the left, but Elessar's comment is Awesome.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Dragon Age II and High-Rez Patch Released
39. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 13:31 JoeNapalm

ScottB wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 13:24:
Hopefully Bioware is hearing the complaints posted here and other places and DA3 will have more depth, but having the choice of buying DA2 is not a bad thing.

BWAAH HA HA HA ha ha HA HA ha ha HAAAAA HA ha haaaa hah heh heh heh..

*wipes tear away*

Oh man, that's great. You're killin' me.

*snorfle*

Seriously...the only thing they'll hear is the chime of cash registers, dude...or the lack thereof. Anything else is a pipe dream.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared
22. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 13:24 JoeNapalm

Tumbler wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 11:52:
I know I can drop an extra thousand to upgrade my PC and then drop an extra $40 on each game I play but I'd rather keep all that money and play console games.

An extra $40 on each game?

Huh?

Console games tend to be priced higher, and stay priced higher longer, than PC games.

Hell, these days, thanks to Steam, I rarely pay more than $10 for a game. Even if I pre-order, though, I'm still paying less for a PC game...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 13:14 JoeNapalm

Anonymous wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 12:19:
I don't know about the rest of you, but games short of flight simulators simply aren't as complex as the author seems to think.

I think he suffers from a severe form of Noobitus and has always been a casual gamer.

Seriously. Do any of you ever suffer from being so inept as to find the learning curve of a video game too much? WTF game is there, short of a flight simulator, that is actually hard to learn to play?!!!!!!!!!

This guy is a CASUAL GAMER who clearly LACKS INTELLIGENCE. CHILDREN are better at learning to play games than this guy.

NOW if this guy says his lack of time isn't adequate to *get into a game*, or tends to FORGET WHERE HE IS in a game, OK, but it seems more like this guy is just retarded.

Yeah, you might be onto something.

I mean, I played Arkham Asylum...then stopped playing when I beat it. I later came back to it, to play some challenge levels.

First couple of rounds I got ruined, because I couldn't quite recall the controls ("Which is throw and which is grapple?! Ahh!").

Then I crushed my previous high score in short order.

Most games are like riding bicycles. Could be that the author is, in his mind, remembering himself as more skillful than he really ever was...

Or he's just a git.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > GTA5 Details?
28. Re: GTA5 Details? Mar 8, 2011, 11:04 JoeNapalm

Razorclaw wrote on Mar 7, 2011, 22:12:

the one thing I really wish they could do for the gta series is make the city much much much more detailed. you should be able to enter all buildings. and all rooms in a building and so on. not just a couple of buildings throughout the city. and secondly making the people of the city less like random spawn automatons you run over with a car and more like actual "people".

Have...have you given any thought to the kind of resources you're talking about, here?

I really wish that they could make it a totally immersive virtual reality that tapped straight into my mind, overlaying reality.

That doesn't mean it's POSSIBLE.

I guarantee that when they A) develop a console that can simulate an entire living city, inside and out, including fully autonomous AI for the entire population, B) said console costs less than the gross national product of most European Union nations, and C) it's cost effective for them to spend the development time (probably at least a decade) to come up with said virtual metropolis - when all of those conditions are met, your wish will come true.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 09:59 JoeNapalm

Exactly, Verno.

I know I can't do 5-hour end-game raids in MMOs...so I don't play those.

I don't expect them to somehow warp the game to match my schedule.

If that means I have to play Angry Birds instead of WoW, yeah, that sucks - but your "thirty-something" (God, I hate that phrase), maybe you should accept that your choices have consequences and deal with it?

I mean, c'mon, man! You're Scottish! Stop whining!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Release Details This Week
7. Re: Deus Ex: Human Release Details This Week Mar 7, 2011, 16:02 JoeNapalm

Grifter wrote on Mar 7, 2011, 15:49:
well Rock Paper Shotgun previewed it about a month ago and from what they said it sounded like this game is going to be awesome.

Allow me to ask you just one question:

When was the last time you read a preview that didn't make a game sound awesome?

My powerful psychic powers predict the answer to be "Never."

Which isn't to say that the game can't be awesome - just that you should never trust a preview. If they dared say "This game is going to go over like a fire mage in a fireworks factory" then they'd be finished as a gaming rag, guaranteed.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2011, 15:51 JoeNapalm

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 7, 2011, 15:06:
I guess I use classic and retro interchangeably.

Joe, put your nerd peen away. Nobody's impressed.

Moving the goalposts, followed by the classic ad hominem attack.

You're hitting all the classics.

Still specious, of course...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Release Details This Week
1. Re: Deus Ex: Human Release Details This Week Mar 7, 2011, 15:12 JoeNapalm

They're announcing that they're going to have an announcement.

Anyway, since everyone says we're all so negative, here, I'll offer a positive comment for Deus Ex III:

Please don't suck! Inquisitive

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2011, 14:58 JoeNapalm

killer_roach wrote on Mar 7, 2011, 14:47:
Honestly, I start to wonder if publishers have a game between themselves over how much sputtering rage that they can generate, when at the same time most of the people doing the raging end up playing the game (many of them buying it even!) anyway.

"The usual amount?"

"Why not."

-- Randolph & Mortimer

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2011, 13:58 JoeNapalm

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 7, 2011, 13:41:
If "classic gamers" were actually buying the "classic RPGs" that they say they like, then little companies like Spiderweb Software would be huge and there would be a thriving "classic RPG" indie market, right?

Logical fallacy...denying the antecedent.

Do I need to spell that out, or can we just agree that your argument is obviously flawed and invalid?

Let me fix it for you:

"If 'classic gamers' were actually buying the 'classic RPGs' that they say they like, then DAO would be huge and there would be a thriving 'classic RPG' AAA market, right?"

Which there is...DAO made an obscene amount of money. EA/Bioware is just run by marketing wonks and bean counters and want to (forgive me) leverage their current market position by appealing to a wider audience.

You don't appeal to a wider audience by making things deeper and more complex...you do it by catering to the lowest common denominator.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

737 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo