Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 738 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 25, 2011, 09:36 JoeNapalm

Paranoid Jack wrote on Mar 25, 2011, 00:56:
Only money I've spent in WorstBuy in the past three to five years has been gift cards I've received and even then I hated doing it. Annoying as hell to have somebody ask you every three to five minutes if they can help you. They just won't leave you the fuck alone so you can browse.

When they first opened up I loved going there to browse and bought stuff there on a regular basis. Another example of how retards running a company run it into the ground...

You should move to South Florida, Jack - you won't get bothered by people trying to help you. At a Best Buy down here, you can't get any of those blue shirted gits to make eye contact.

Not that the teenyboppers they hire, now, would be able to answer a question if they did try to help you.

Mostly, though, I resent that what used to be place I could stop into to get a fan or PSU or find a cable I really needed - now, it's a place where they think I'm going to pay $120 for an HDMI cable because it says "Monster" on it.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Lead and Gold Free Weekend; Free DLC; Sale
5. Re: Lead and Gold Free Weekend; Free DLC; Sale Mar 24, 2011, 17:05 JoeNapalm

Other than graphically, it doesn't compare well at all to, say, Fistful of Frags...and FFoF is a free mod.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Delayed Until June
4. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Delayed Until June Mar 24, 2011, 09:22 JoeNapalm

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini Demo
2. Re: Starpoint Gemini Demo Mar 23, 2011, 11:57 JoeNapalm

Yeah, I'll have to find time to take a look, too...

Always jonesing for something Traveller-esque.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Free Angry Birds
8. Re: Free Angry Birds Mar 23, 2011, 09:10 JoeNapalm

DarkCntry wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 05:01:
I didn't have any issues.

But alas, people are always going to find something to bitch about, even if it's free.

Ah, yes, the old "I didn't experience any problems so all reports of problems are invalid."

It must be hard, being the center of the Universe.

Dozey

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Free Dawn of War II Retribution DLC in April
4. Re: Free Dawn of War II Retribution DLC in April Mar 22, 2011, 10:37 JoeNapalm

Ingratitude much?

In these benighted days of Horse Armor DLCs, I for one would like to say "Thank you, THQ."

Most companies would want $6 for this...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up
44. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 17, 2011, 18:37 JoeNapalm

Erebus wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 20:19:
Darn it, I forgot to read through the whole thread to see what it was ok for me to say.

Well, based on the position you are supporting - that an individual should lose property rights for speaking out - maybe you SHOULD read and carefully consider what it is "okay" for you to say.

Please back up the statements of your running mouth by standing in the middle of Wal-Mart next time you're there (which I'm sure won't be more than 24 hours from now) and starting a 4-letter-word rant trashing the company and their employees, running down their products and services and doing so ad nauseum in a manner the other shoppers can't avoid. That's the kind of behaviour that most of these ban-clowns participate in, and I'm *perfelctly* comfortable with them losing their game privileges altogether.

1. I don't shop at Wal-Mart, as a personal choice. That said, I wouldn't imply that shopping there is somehow derogatory, as that would make me a self-important elitist prig, now wouldn't it?

2. Being kicked out a store for being disruptive is one thing - having them take back my purchased items before doing so? That would be a crime.

A git I may be, but I don't go around telling people what they can and can't think or call them names for expressing their opinion.

No, you want companies going around telling people what they can and can't think. That's MUCH better.

And if being called a "total git" for expressing an asinine opinion expressed without a moment of thought as to the repercussions of the position you choose to support is going to upset you, get under your skin, keep you up at night, or in any way impact your emotional well-being, may I suggest that you avoid posting on the interwebs?

I'm not trying to censor you - I'm just thinking that your skin might not be thick enough to endure the ridicule that even a well-considered, reasonable opinion would receive...let alone a bone-headed anti-consumer sheep opinion.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Trailer
13. Re: Battlefield 3 Trailer Mar 16, 2011, 16:52 JoeNapalm

TurdFergasun wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 16:40:
i'm not too keen on prone, it was a worthy sacrifice for gameplay in BC2. ppl are going to abuse it, and many cool maps will become camp graveyards. hopefully they release mod tools so u can limit the number of snipers per team or some other balancing tool.

Yes, because there's absolutely no way to fix dolphin diving. It's not just a problem specific to BF2 that could have easily been remedied by a code rat with an IQ over 60.

Also, once you put a baby in bathwater, and that bathwater gets dirty, you must pitch both out.

Or nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Trailer, Campaign Length
15. Re: Batman: Arkham City Trailer, Campaign Length Mar 16, 2011, 16:40 JoeNapalm

Public Service Announcement:

I'd just like to point out to the "Bluesnews people are all haters" demographic that this thread is an example of a constructive discussion of a good game.

A fair number of the regulars have already chimed in, with nary a harsh word (just the odd bit of constructive criticism...which, really, is the whole point, isn't it?).

See? If they made more games this good, we'd spend less time shredding the one's that suck.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread topic.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatraite

News Comments > More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up
28. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 16:32 JoeNapalm

Erebus wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 16:16:
While it's amusing to see the publishers running scared over this issue and un-banning left and right, as fas as I'm concerned one of the biggest problems with internet gaming is people feeling they can act like a horse's ass with no repercussions.

Name one "real life" business where you can stand in the middle of the store, act like a jackass, criticize and run down the establishment and its employees, and literally cause damage to the business with no repercussions. With the exception of a WWE wrestlish match or the Republican National Convention, I can't think of too many.

Ban 'em all and let God sort 'em out.

Impressive.

Even after so many have clearly illustrated how the last guy to post this is a total idiot - there you are to pile on with your support.

You actually believe it is a good idea to let a company revoke someone's rights (in this case a game they paid money for) simply because they "criticize and run down the establishment and its employees"?

So, if I don't like a game, and say so, the company should be able to prevent me from playing it? Even though I paid for it?

What if I give it a bad rating on a user review site? Or a mediocre one? Or just fail support it with every fiber of my being?

For crissake, go buy 1984 and have someone read it to you, then explain why you're being a total git.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Trailer, Campaign Length
4. Re: Batman: Arkham City Trailer, Campaign Length Mar 16, 2011, 11:23 JoeNapalm

nin wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 10:32:
The first game felt like the right length. The breadcrumbs from the story were spread well enough that, other than the Killer Croc level, I was never thinking "this is getting boring".

That matches my experience, exactly.

Here's hoping they expand on the success of the last one.

This will be one of the few games I'll be torn between the PC and PS3 on...I played the last one on the PC, and it was a very solid port.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > The Return of Lord British
15. Re: The Return of Lord British Mar 15, 2011, 17:39 JoeNapalm

CommunistHamster wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 06:51:
Look, he's made several great games and amassed enough money to go to space. I think he should retire now for about 5 years.

I think he spent the bulk of his fortune to get the Russians to let him go up to the Big Dark.

Of course, if UO2 had seen the light of day...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Dragon Age II Controversy of the Day
62. Re: Dragon Age II Controversy of the Day Mar 15, 2011, 16:37 JoeNapalm

PropheT wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 16:22:
If this is embarrassing for Bioware I see it as being more embarrassing for the gaming community as a whole. The gaming community sucks. It's petty, it has an overinflated sense of entitlement and ego, and everybody is so willing to jump on The Man for any perceived slight that there's no winning once the mob's hive mind has taken up arms against something. If anything, all this really serves to do is illustrate how completely and totally useless the user review scores are.

No winning?

Look, all they had to do was expand on the success of DAO. It was a no-brainer.

But some bean-counter marketing wonk at EA decided that they could just cash in - sure, they're alienate the current fans of the franchise, but most of them are likely to buy it, anyway, based on the name - meanwhile they expand their player base.

Which, in itself, wouldn't have been well-received...but they chose to do this to the self-proclaimed "spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate"!

They made a choice to invoke Bioware's reputation as a maker of epic PC RPGs, and they made a choice to intentionally abuse that reputation with this sequel in order to - and let's be perfectly clear on this - try to sell 4,000,000 copies instead of a mere 3,500,000.

They took a rep that Bioware had cultivated since 1995 and just milked it for a bit more bling.

This is why there's all the "nerd rage" people.

Maybe it doesn't matter to a lot of people - but most people, if they were objective, can see how all of the BS surrounding this game is really sort of shameful.

But hey, if you're okay with them trading on the whole "Baldur's Gate/PC game maker" image that they'd spent the last 15 years cultivating for more console sales, installing DRM while promising NOT to install any DRM, the professional and user reviews all appearing just a BIT too squirrelly to be totally above board...if all of that, combined, doesn't smack the least bit of distasteful to you, then give 'em your money.

I'm sure they'll be glad to have it.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

59. Re: Dragon Age II Controversy of the Day Mar 15, 2011, 16:18 JoeNapalm

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 16:10:
The problem is that in between those boss fights you face scripted waves of bandits jumping from roofs, spawning behind, inside, above, and below you. With more HP and DPS than your fully specced warrior. Difficulty should NEVER be increased by adjusting DAMAGE AND HP. Difficulty should only ever impact behavior, additional difficulty (friendly fire, fatigue, no auto regeneration etc) and AI to drink potions and heal themselves and use spells more "tactical" ie trying to stun or deadlock your mages, and your healer particularly.

I won't deny that the combat looks very flashy, but when its not against a boss its either a walk in the park (easy,normal) or completely broken (hard,nightmare).

Agreed. This is why I never bothered replaying Mass Effect at higher difficulty.

I mean, you'd never hear the end of it if the game, on higher difficulties, just made your weapons less powerful - but cranking up the armor and HP (in effect, the exact same thing as weapon nerfing) seems to be totally acceptable.

This applies to all games that do this, of course, not just Bioware. It's lazy.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Dawn of War II Voiceover Trailer
4. Re: Dawn of War II Voiceover Trailer Mar 15, 2011, 16:13 JoeNapalm

I beat Retribution as a Space Marine...

I didn't like that it level caps at 10. DOWII went to 20, I believe.

I get that this expansion is too short to get to 20, but why not just leave the cap at 20? So what if you can't get there?

As it is, you hit 10 about 2/3rds of the way there.

Also, though I very rarely pre-order, this kind of reinforced that I never should - the pre-order bonus items for my Space Marine captain made him utterly unkillable. While I lack the willpower not to equip them (c'mon...they're purple! I've been trained like a mouse in a skinner box to equip gear with purple title bars!) they sort of took a lot of the game down a notch.

All I had to do was send in ol' Captain Amazing, then set up my other troops to take out vehicles, hardpoints, and bosses (the pre-order gear doesn't do a ton of DPS, so the fire-team thing sped things up).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

50. Re: Dragon Age II Controversy of the Day Mar 15, 2011, 15:31 JoeNapalm

Dirwulf wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 15:22:
So many angry nerds on Metacritic lol.

The funny part is, its certainly not hurting the sales.

Only the raging nerds are on the boards yelling at the top of their lungs that their precious RPG was screwed up. Everyone else is too busy playing.

I hate to be the one to break this to you, dude...but you're posting on Blues News.

You might want to dial down the stone throwing until you move out of that glass house.

All of the people citing "nerd rage" and following up with how they're too busy playing a fantasy-themed video game might want to pause for a moment of introspection...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

9. Re: Dragon Age II Controversy of the Day Mar 15, 2011, 11:36 JoeNapalm

Indeed. A company consists of employees - so any time the company does something dumb, it is done by an employee.

Not that I disagree with Beamer's point entirely - EA/Bioware could have disavowed said employee, rather than embracing his actions.

They may not have directed the employee to do what he did, but rather than condemning it, they've endorsed it.

EDIT: And as for the negative Metacritic reviews - I've poked around a bit, myself. I'd say for every suspicious 0 review, here's an equally suspicious 10...only three reviews, a cut-and-pasted 10 for PC, PS3, and 360. Even if you call it a wash, the negatives outnumber the positives by 4-to-1 (and that's not taking into consideration that, in the gaming world, a 7 is an "average" score on a 10 point scale...)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

6. Re: Dragon Age II Controversy of the Day Mar 15, 2011, 11:13 JoeNapalm

Verno wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 10:53:
Why am I not surprised? So much for Laidlaw claiming they were just reading reviews and trying to sift through legitimate criticism. This whole game should be a lesson of what happens when marketing and business trump creative efforts.

Sadly, the lesson will be that it generates controversy, and as stated in the "EA <3s Fox News" story, EA considers controversy to be free advertising.

The only thing about this Metacritic stuff that shocks me is how hamfisted they appear to have gone about it. Same with the AAA review sites - it's as if they didn't merely exert their influence, as many big publishers do...it's as if they gave them a press package and told them not to deviate from the script.

I would have expected shills...Hell, I'm not sure I trust half of you people Paranoid ...but attributable employees? That just seems...gah.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > EA ♥s Fox News
20. Re: EA &#9829;s Fox News Mar 15, 2011, 09:08 JoeNapalm

People who think that all publicity is good and thrive on being the center of controversy probably didn't get hugged enough as children.

Seriously...this is juvenile behavior. If I can't get GOOD attention, I can get BAD attention, and it's still attention!

Listen, Frank - if you make a good enough game, everyone will talk about it. Trust me. I realize your way is easier...setting the bar as low as possible usually is.

"Creative integrity"...from EA... Laugh

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 14, 2011, 15:01 JoeNapalm

Quicksilver wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 12:13:
Who would've thought the future would actually be a cyberpunk novel?

Ooh! Ooh! I did! I did!

But...I was hoping for Snowcrash.

This is a lot more Spook Country.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

738 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo