Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 738 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced
7. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 11:24 JoeNapalm

MacLeod wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 11:15:
I guess I'm getting too old that it's actually annoying me with all the gratuitous T&A in EVERY game nowadays. I saw sci-fi MMO and my initial reaction was "Cool!", clicked on the first screenshot and saw a girl with short-shorts, low-cut top and bunny ears... *sighs*

Of all the things about this that could annoy me...

...the chick with bunny ears didn't make the list.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Assassin's Creed Revelations PC Demo
13. Re: No PC Assassin's Creed Revelations PC Demo Aug 11, 2011, 09:25 JoeNapalm

yuastnav wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 07:58:
Drezden wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 07:50:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 05:25:
No idea why anyone bothers with ubisoft games.

Because unfortunately they publish the Tom Clancy games which are the only good IP's they really have.

I'll be very disappointed too when Future Soldier comes out and has some sort of retarded DRM on it.

Too bad the last good Tom Clancy games were released over half a decade ago.

Ubisoft bought the name, but not the ability to make a good R6 game.

Morons turned it into just another shooter.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Aug 9, 2011, 11:26 JoeNapalm

Even if I didn't like Steam...which I do...EA is being very heavy-handed about this.

EA's reputation is well-earned, and for these same tactics. Their tactic, here - however thinly they want to veil it as a business dispute - is that gamers will adopt their service because they HAVE to play BF3 or SWTOR.

While, for some, I suppose they will be right. But I'm not going to be one of them. I want to play BF3, but I DON'T want EA's other crap, and I refuse to be strong-armed.

There are plenty of great games out there that don't try to drag me into some BS corporate marketing scheme...which is all Origin is. Some suit saw that Steam was dominating the Digital Distro market, and made the same misguided decision that so many suits made when they saw the piles of filthy lucre WoW was making.

EA is likely going to learn the wisdom of "If you can't beat 'em, Join 'em" the hard way. Yeah, people will flock to Origin for BF3, but they're going to take it on the chin vs what they would have made just putting it on Steam...and those gamers AREN'T going to suddenly abandon Steam for Origin, they'll play that one game.

I imagine Steam will have BF3, eventually. EA is too greedy to leave money on the table.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > EA: Origin Accounts "May be Cancelled for Non-use"
67. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 4, 2011, 11:51 JoeNapalm

Dev wrote on Aug 4, 2011, 11:33:
Verno wrote on Aug 4, 2011, 09:11:
Soon it's going to be all about who treats you well and offers decent prices/features because they're all going to be account based systems anyway.
That's an optimistic view. I think unless we get a serious contender to steam, we are looking more at each big game publishing company trying to do their own digital thing like origin (actiblizzard already has bnet, they might start having every activision title over there), and since people are going to have to suck it up to get the games they want if they aren't sold everywhere, it still won't be price/feature based.

No, they don't HAVE to.

I won't. I would buy BF3 and ME3 on Steam, but I refuse (based on prior experiences with EA) to participate in Origin. Since I can't even buy a boxed copy without having to use their online service, I simply won't buy them.

Frankly, there's enough good games out there that it's EAs loss, not mine.

This sort of strong-arm crap will continue, and get worse, until gamers realize that a goodie with a string attached is called bait.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2 Pre-Purchase Discounts & Bonuses
17. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Pre-Purchase Discounts & Bonuses Aug 3, 2011, 10:52 JoeNapalm

Jerykk wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 00:32:
Damnit Kosumo it is not irrational to preorder a game that you are going to buy anyway. So rather than paying full price, you might as well get a discount and extras that YOU WOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN OTHERWISE IF YOU DID NOT PREORDER.

I think he was suggesting that you wait for reviews before buying games.

Why would you wait for reviews if you already played it?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access
32. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 10:33 JoeNapalm

I have absolutely no interest in Origin.

BF3? Sure.

But not if I'm forced to participate in EA's Steam-wannabe simply to play the game.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > No Skyrim Demo Planned
34. Re: No Skyrim Demo Planned Jul 14, 2011, 17:18 JoeNapalm

WyldKat wrote on Jul 14, 2011, 17:13:
JoeNapalm wrote on Jul 14, 2011, 17:03:
saluk wrote on Jul 14, 2011, 15:48:
In the olden days when demos were common, you just package the executable, delete all the level files except the first (or first couple) and add an exit with the "buy now" page. It takes a couple hours of effort at most, and the files are small and easy to deal with.

Making a proper demo for a game like Skyrim could take weeks. It's just not worth it.

If I recall...Oblivion started in a dungeon...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Do you really think a starter dungeon is a good representation of what an Elder Scrolls game has to offer?

Good video games are like good books...they should be able to hook you in the first chapter.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > No Skyrim Demo Planned
30. Re: No Skyrim Demo Planned Jul 14, 2011, 17:03 JoeNapalm

saluk wrote on Jul 14, 2011, 15:48:
In the olden days when demos were common, you just package the executable, delete all the level files except the first (or first couple) and add an exit with the "buy now" page. It takes a couple hours of effort at most, and the files are small and easy to deal with.

Making a proper demo for a game like Skyrim could take weeks. It's just not worth it.

If I recall...Oblivion started in a dungeon...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jul 13, 2011, 16:05 JoeNapalm

Wait...it's hidden?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > On PlanetSide 2 Microtransactions
4. Re: On PlanetSide 2 Microtransactions Jul 13, 2011, 11:28 JoeNapalm

Prez wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 11:14:
@ OldSchool:

Even in a game that is otherwise free to play? What about a free to play game that also has a free downloadable client, so there's no upfront cost whatsoever? Dev's gotta eat ya know. It may not be what you are used to or your preferred means of gaming, but it's not a bad proposition for the gamer really.

As long as they do it right.

If they DO "sell power" it could potentially be a disaster.

"Step right up! You, sir! You look like a Reaver pilot! For just $4.99, you could take to the skies in this fine Air Superiority vehicle!"

They say they won't do this - but we'll see. SOE has shot themselves in the foot more times than a trailer park.

As it is - in Planetside, you could have Clan Emblems on your avatar and vehicles for free. From what this says, it seems like now you have to pay for that? That's pretty weak.

I'm almost a guaranteed Planetside 2 sale - as long as they don't muck it up. Even STO has free customizable Fleet emblems and uniforms, and it's F2P w/ microtransactions.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Jul 12, 2011, 15:43 JoeNapalm

Beamer wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 14:00:
Not going to lie, I can't figure out where you guys with families find time to game.

I have such little. I spent about 20 minutes with Frozen Synapse and 20 minutes with X-COM last night.
I'd actually say in a given week I have maybe 15 hours of free time, spread out between gaming, reading and tv watching more or less evenly.
Although I guess I spend another 8 or so screwing around online.

Sleep is highly overrated.

(Just kidding.)

((*YAAAAWN!*))

I don't have kids, but if/when I do, sleep will become VERY IMPORTANT. For them. *Grin*

But seriously, I figure that my father had time to watch NFL, MLB, college basketball, and actually played baseball. And hunted, hiked, snowshoed, cross-country ski'd, canoed, and had a sailboat. And a golf-course perfect lawn and garden.

Admittedly, I work more hours (don't tell him I said that, because he had to walk uphill both ways to work, barefoot in the snow) but I should STILL be able to find time for my games, writing, the gym, dojo, and range. And still sleep!

Oh...wait...my mom did all of the housework.

Scratch that. Sleep is overrated.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

PS - My point exactly, Alamar.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Jul 12, 2011, 12:12 JoeNapalm

Yeah - shocking.

The TODAY show is on, what...7am to 11am?

I seriously doubt "Men in their Thirties" are the target demographic.

-Jn-
Ifirit Sophist

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Demo Planned
11. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Planned Jul 11, 2011, 12:11 JoeNapalm

Darks wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 11:35:
Bumpy wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 10:23:
Hopefully there will be a PC demo and BEFORE release. I'm looking at you Witcher 2. <taps foot still waiting>

Do you seriously need to play a demo first of this game to actually know that this is a great game? No demo is required to know that this game kicks butt and is worth every penny, and btw, this game is on sale for the next 2 hrs too.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/20920/

After DA2?

Heck, after ME2, for that matter?

You bet.

Press "A" for it's easier to trash your rep than build it.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Screenshots
7. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Screenshots Jul 11, 2011, 09:26 JoeNapalm

Agreed on all points, Beamer.

(Wait...what did I just say?! )

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Screenshots
5. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Screenshots Jul 11, 2011, 09:01 JoeNapalm

It doesn't actually say it has any "Real-Time" - it says that it has waypoints similar to RTSs incorporated into a "Plan-and-Go" system.

The way it reads, it almost sounds like a Frozen Synapse kind of thing.

I would prefer something like Brigade E-5's "paused real time" over "plan-and-go", but...well...here's simply hoping it's a good JA game.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Announced
3. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announced Jul 8, 2011, 10:49 JoeNapalm

Planetside was never an MMO in the sense of what MMOGs have become - which is to say, WoW and it's mutant offspring.

Planetside was actually closer to a persistent-world BF2 with much much larger maps and battles.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > On PC Skyrim
43. Re: On PC Skyrim Jul 7, 2011, 10:59 JoeNapalm

sauron wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 10:14:

These guys make awesome games for the PC and do so in a way that nobody else dares even attempt. Give them the credit they deserve.

Really? 'Cause Oblivion struck me as a bog standard console action RPG. Yes, it was a BIG world (as was Morrowind), but it was mostly empty and/or cookie cutter (due to console bias).

I'm curious, what makes it something "nobody else dares even attempt"?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > On PC Skyrim
37. Re: On PC Skyrim Jul 7, 2011, 09:22 JoeNapalm

Frijoles wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 01:43:
There’s also a lot of “power user” stuff we do with the keyboard from how favorites work, to quick saves

TIL: "quick save" is for power users.

Yeah, you l33t h4x0rz and your fancy function keys!

*facepalm*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week
15. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 6, 2011, 09:10 JoeNapalm

The original was flawed but, for a time, brilliant.

Please be awesome.

Thank you.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Scrolls Will Launch Minecraft Style
9. Re: Scrolls Will Launch Minecraft Style Jun 30, 2011, 09:57 JoeNapalm

I gone in on a couple of games this way:

Mount & Blade, and Minecraft.

I got more than my money's worth out of both.

People often decry this method, but both Mojang and Tale Worlds started as ONE MAN shops. One dude.

I don't know about you, but I couldn't afford to develop an entire game out of my own pocket.

If supporting good Indy games - rapidly becoming the last bastion of PC gaming - requires that I occasionally pay less to support an incomplete project in the hopes that it sees the light of day...well, I'm pretty comfortable with that.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

738 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo