Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 793 (Graduate)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M?
43. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 17:10 JoeNapalm

Task wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 17:00:
JoeNapalm wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 16:55:
When are you folks going to realize that we are no longer the target demographic for games?

We, THE GAMERS, represent such a small wedge of the pie, now that everyone...everyone...is playing these "newfangled vidja games" that the market has evolved.

WE are a persnickity, demanding lot, who generally know a Hell of a lot more about the IPs and platforms that the suits who now own the industry do.

I am aware of this, but I can still dispense my displeasure regarding it, which is fun to get off my chest, because hey why not? Nothing will change really during this great decade of Dumbed Down Games Recession except for a few nuggets here and there. The winning move is to simply not play (the bad gamez).

Fair enough - but don't despair, we have our own new IPs that haven't been annexed by the masses, yet. Just look at your own sig line.

When people shake their heads and ask how SC has made so much money, this is why. People want to reclaim their hobby...and maybe their subculture. Hell, hipsters even took our beards!

Gaming is dead. Long live gaming!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday
13. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday Jan 4, 2016, 17:04 JoeNapalm

beigemore wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 16:44:
JoeNapalm wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 16:30:
I hope this is the true VR we were all promised back in the '90s, but I'll let you fine folks be the early implementers on this one.

Did you really fall for the '90s VR hype back then? Even as a kid it was not impressive or interesting.

No.

I figured decent VR was at least 30 years out.

But we're not so far from that mark, and I think that the Rift probably qualifies as "decent VR"...

...but on stuff like this and Google Glass, etc, I'm probably going to wait to see how people feel about it in a couple years.

In the meantime, I have TrackIR, which works almost as well, without as many of the inherent questions that strapping a phone to my face raises.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M?
41. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 16:55 JoeNapalm

When are you folks going to realize that we are no longer the target demographic for games?

We, THE GAMERS, represent such a small wedge of the pie, now that everyone...everyone...is playing these "newfangled vidja games" that the market has evolved.

WE are a persnickity, demanding lot, who generally know a Hell of a lot more about the IPs and platforms that the suits who now own the industry do.

The unwashed casual masses, however, will buy anything you stick a picture on that they recognize.

So...why, in the name of Zeus' butthole, would the bean counters make a game for US?

Fortunately, we have the rebirth of the gaming industry occurring at the same time, with all the inherent messiness, from the indy/crowdfunded sector...because, in spite of the annual predictions of the death of PC gaming, there's still enough of us out there to support the movement.

But never for a second think that it's more than table scraps for the big Houses, now. Whatever your "hardcore gamer" favorite is, it will never stand up to a Candy Bird or Flappy Crush or whatever my mother-in-law is playing today.

-Jn-

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday
6. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday Jan 4, 2016, 16:30 JoeNapalm

Sepharo wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 16:01:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 15:14:
Do pre-orders come with a "Rift" puke bucket?

I've thrown the DK2 on like 30+ people. Never seen anyone get sick. That includes old folks too.

I'm not sure how they can overcome the fact that your visual input and your inner ear are not telling your brain the same information. Not saying I don't believe you, I just don't grok how it could NOT make you sick to be in full VR dogfight mode while your butt is firmly planted in a stationary chair.

My other concern would be eye strain - yeah, I've read all about how it tricks your brain into thinking it's looking into the distance, but the fact is there's still screens strapped to your face. The focal distance is still way, way inside the two to three feet that conventional wisdom has recommended you keep your monitor.

And yeah, I know it uses optics to mimic something like meter or so for focal depth, but I still wonder if that is really the same thing.

I hope this is the true VR we were all promised back in the '90s, but I'll let you fine folks be the early implementers on this one.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2016, 16:37.

News Comments > New Conan Game Planned
8. Re: New Conan Game Planned Dec 18, 2015, 11:55 JoeNapalm

Actually, something along the lines of Shadows of Mordor would fit well with Conan.

Just replace all the Wraith-fueled magic with Cimmerian combat badassery.

-Jn-

News Comments > The Climb Announced
4. Re: The Climb Announced Dec 15, 2015, 09:58 JoeNapalm

It's good to see that Thing from The Adam's Family got married and can still find work.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex First Assault Early Access
2. Re: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex First Assault Early Access Dec 14, 2015, 14:34 JoeNapalm

I'm immediately suspicious of any game that has a "gameplay video" that doesn't have a single cut longer than 2s.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 14, 2015, 12:08 JoeNapalm

Stormsinger wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 11:46:
Verno wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 10:46:
I didn't read the article but I'm curious what they think of cell phone signals then then.
It's a good question. I don't think I've seen any interviews with one of these people where it was brought up. I wouldn't be surprised if they're also "a cause" of problems.

I really, really don't understand why some people have such a problem admitting "We don't know why this happens."

Seriously?

I mean, have you MET people?!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Online Update Next Week
4. Re: Grand Theft Auto Online Update Next Week Dec 11, 2015, 14:23 JoeNapalm

ZeroPike1 wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 07:26:
It seems so odd to me they are putting in so much effort into expanding the game now. Compared to when it came out on console ages ago. Just weird.

Well they could just improve the private play idea, Instead of being stuck in public you could run you own private friends lists in the main world, between events. But we seen how that went when they kicked the mod makers making that option a reality in the ass with a C&D.

Not sure what you're getting at? You have always been able to play with your friends and not on public worlds.

-Jn-

News Comments > XCOM 2 in February; Digital Deluxe Edition Revealed
9. Re: XCOM 2 in February; Digital Deluxe Edition Revealed Dec 10, 2015, 15:36 JoeNapalm

Simon Says wrote on Dec 10, 2015, 12:38:
THREE DLC PACKS ON RELEASE? You gotta be fucking kidding me... Well, here goes one game which I was awaiting with great anticipation to buy that I'll be pirating on release with all DLCs included. Fuck'em.

Now MoO remake, don't make that same "DLC puke in the plate" mistake please. Thanks!

Yeah, same thing at the auto dealership! They wanted to charge more for everything beyond the base model, so I just stole the car.

That'll teach 'em!

I love how people talk themselves into being "idealists"...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Sword Coast Legends Community Pack #2
1. Re: Sword Coast Legends Community Pack #2 Dec 9, 2015, 16:18 JoeNapalm

Why do they hype a D&D tabletop experience then push out, judging from the reviews, a bog standard action CRPG?

I mean, you must realize what your target demographic wants if you're hyping it as that. You must realize that the game you are making ISN'T that.

Where is the disconnect? It didn't even come out at Xmas, so I can't imagine that they're banking on Granny buying it to stuff in stockings because it says D&D on it...

Do publishers still not realize we read reviews on those newfangled interwebs?

-Jn-

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Horizons Next Week
17. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Next Week Dec 9, 2015, 16:07 JoeNapalm

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Dec 9, 2015, 15:29:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 9, 2015, 15:10:
So i've been waiting for this game to get some more depth to the content.

Like X3: Albion prelude level of content.

I'm still to understand that the majority of the game is just attack and kill?
I'm noticing there's a trend where gamers more used to "modern" mission systems don't really like Elite. From this perspective, there's very little in the game and it just feels empty.

Then there's the group (that I fall into), that's more into the immersion and roleplay aspect. I just have an ongoing mental storyline that my character is the center of. I kind of just take the stuff FD publishes and fill in the blanks with my own stories.

That type of game isn't for everyone, but I personally love how so much is left to interpretation. I find Witcher, Skyrim, Fallout, etc all incredibly boring myself, I want to create my own narrative. But I can put in hundreds of hours into Distant Worlds and Kenshi, neither of those games offer any missions or direction.

It has nothing to do with the narrative.

I found the actual gameplay in ED to be boring. And not that "space is really really big" kind of boring. I found the game to be boring unto itself, mechanically.

Landing at a space station shouldn't be the most enjoyable part of a mission.

YMMV.

-Jn-

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Horizons Next Week
11. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Next Week Dec 9, 2015, 14:33 JoeNapalm

Cutter wrote on Dec 9, 2015, 14:10:
And what can you do with those monies? What makes that grind worthwhile in the end?

Couldn't you ask that of pretty much ANY game?

I'm guessing you buy bigger ships to make more money to buy bigger ships - but if that cycle is enjoyable, isn't that kind of the point? To have fun playing the game?

Of course, that's where Elite Dangerous broke down for me. It was only entertaining for a few hours. Then it was basically going from point-to-point with some combat that was pretty simple turning fights.

It may have improved greatly since Beta, though. Couldn't say. I took the offered refund when they binned offline/private multi play.

-Jn-

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2015, 12:37 JoeNapalm

I do not love the prequels, nor your article.

I don't hate the prequels because I'm following the crowd - I hate them because they were TERRIBLE AWFUL MOVIES and because Lucas totally lost his tenuous grasp on what made Star Wars great somewhere between Empire and Jedi...at the exact instant he started listening to the focus groups instead of his soul.

Moreso, I resent the implication of that article that their opinion is somehow more enlightened than the common masses, simply by not being the common opinion, and respectfully request that the author get stuffed.

Thank you.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Oriental Empires Announced
6. Re: Oriental Empires Announced Dec 7, 2015, 12:27 JoeNapalm

So now we're preemptively outraged that someone else may or may not be outraged about a word that may or may not be derogatory?

Must be a slow trolling day.

-Jn-

News Comments > Space Engineers Free Weekend
2. Re: Space Engineers Free Weekend Nov 20, 2015, 10:18 JoeNapalm

harlock wrote on Nov 20, 2015, 09:53:
tried playing this again because the planets thing looked great.. but it still runs like complete ass on even ultra high end systems i guess, its like a java app or something trying to do a 3d world.. another bad side effect there is no particle fx or special fx at all basically, no terrain deformation animation, etc.. voxels just pop in and out without transitions

too bad because it seems like a great idea

People really don't grok Early Access, do they?

-Jn-

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2015, 15:53 JoeNapalm

nin wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 15:02:
Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 14:13:
"I've got the black lung, pops!"
*pathetic cough*

"Thank god I wore underwear today!"

Hope Bowie did another cameo...

"The files are IN the computer!"

-Jn-

News Comments > The Crew: Wild Run Released
4. Re: The Crew: Wild Run Released Nov 18, 2015, 09:34 JoeNapalm

Okay, so without any context, I would have thought that an ad for a new GTAO DLC.

So it's GTA without guns, then?

How's the driving model? Better, one hopes?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Mordheim: City of the Damned Campaign Trailer
5. Re: Mordheim: City of the Damned Campaign Trailer Nov 12, 2015, 15:39 JoeNapalm

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 13:47:
This looks pretty interesting, actually. What's with the suddenly(seemingly) interest in Mordheim/Warhammer Rat Bashing games?

If I recall, when THQ went under, the license went up for grabs.

Presto. Couple years of dev time later, new WH games.

Here's to their success. I always loved WH, and it's a shame that Blizz has always somehow managed to make uber-bank on shamelessly doing brightly-colored optimistic Warhammer.

-Jn-

News Comments > Online GTA Mods Closed
2. Re: Online GTA Mods Closed Nov 10, 2015, 11:06 JoeNapalm

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize the right play is just hire these guys or buy them out.

If your multiplayer model wasn't so broken, nobody would be making better versions of it.

-Jn-

793 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo