Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Frode

Real Name Frode   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 26, 2008, 11:54
Total Comments 33 (Suspect)
User ID 54478

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 This Month
36. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 This Month Sep 19, 2014, 18:21 Frode

Cutter wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 17:52:
I'm talking about actual real gameplay included. Not just a sandbox

You seem to be confusing "gameplay" and "linear story". I'm not saying it's wrong to want a linear story to follow in a game, it's a matter of preference, but that's not in any way a requirement for having "real gameplay". ED has plenty of gameplay already, with more to come. The story is up to the player, however.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Watch Dogs in Q2
9. Uh? Feb 10, 2014, 15:54 Frode

Get ready to.... watch dogs? Does someone already own a trademark for Watchdogs, or did Ubisoft as a whole fail English 101? (Or is it really about dogs?)

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2014, 16:00.

News Comments > From Dust DRM to Change
30. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 04:40 Frode

Rockn-Roll wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 01:13:
You do realize that because of the pirates and cheaters honest gamers will no longer be able to save their games online. If they travel while playing or their computer crashes during a game then they will lose all their progress.
The developer could just as well have given the _option_ between a cloud save and local save. In fact, offering cloud save in exchange for verifying you have a legitimately bought copy would have been a sales incentive. Also, you can easily use Dropbox or something similar for online saving if really desperate (which is what I do for all games where I want the saves synced between computers).

Being able to play a single player game 100% offline is the most natural thing in the world. I'll never knowingly buy a single player game that requires me to go online every time I start it, or to stay online constantly while playing it.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Workarounds
15. Re: The Witcher 2 Workarounds May 21, 2011, 06:21 Frode

I can't even create an account to register. That is, I did get the account created, but it won't accept my login and hasn't since launch day.

Since I bought the game on GOG, I need to register to get DLC and patches. Support haven't answered my email, and the "recover password" link does nothing apart from telling me it has sent me an email it really hasn't.

No biggie as long as they fix it at the same time as they release the patch, since I'm waiting for that before starting to play anyways. But still, a rather botched release.

News Comments > Dragon Age DRM Servers Down
37. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Down Apr 13, 2011, 02:43 Frode

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 02:29:
God knows why they still require activation this long after release in the first place.
From what I can tell, this is actually DRM on the DLC, not the original game. Steam makes no mention of DA:O having any particular third party DRM, and the game starts just fine for me (I haven't even gotten around to playing it yet, so naturally haven't bought any DLC).

No idea how old the DLC is though. But, yeah, it should've been patched out a few weeks after release at most.

News Comments > Steam Guard Leaves Beta
13. Re: Steam Guard Leaves Beta Mar 18, 2011, 16:32 Frode

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 16:50:
I hope it works out for the best, I just feel like Valve marketing it to 3rd party companies is destined for consumer pain. :(
Such is the nature of things. But since publishers already add in third party DRM that accomplishes hardware lock-in, it's the same pain but without really annoying rootkit type stuff tagging along with the games, at least.

I wish everybody voted with their wallets and didn't buy a single game with any such system. There seems to be no limit to what people are willing to accept (Ubisoft, I'm looking at you).

11. Re: Steam Guard Leaves Beta Mar 17, 2011, 12:27 Frode

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 12:20:
Locking some game to a certain hardware config is a lot different than a disc check(Safedisc).
Sorry, I meant SecuROM (and similar online activation based schemes).

There, no more room for misunderstandings.

9. Re: Steam Guard Leaves Beta Mar 17, 2011, 07:19 Frode

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 06:33:
Now the only question is which publisher will use this 'feature' first?
I don't see how this is any different from publishers adding Safedisc etc. to accomplish the same.

As is the case with third party DRM, I'm sure any activation limits will be noted on the game's store page so we can all avoid buying it. If you're buying games with that kind of DRM, you are part of the problem.

5. Re: Steam Guard Leaves Beta Mar 17, 2011, 04:35 Frode

Grokk wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 01:33:
Assuming that the 'other party' has acquired your details through a key logger, there's a great chance they already have access to your email.
Which you can (to some extent) safeguard against by using Gmail and its two factor authentication.

Even without that though, it certainly is an extra layer with no real downside. I don't see any reason not to use it.

4. Re: Steam Guard Leaves Beta Mar 17, 2011, 04:30 Frode

Dev wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 03:51:
But still! Let there be an option to turn off if I enter a code from email.
Have you even bothered looking at Steam's settings? There's an entire freakin button - the first one on the first screen - dedicated to managing Steam Guard settings. Sheesh. Talk about crying wolf with your head in the... sand.

Edit: I suppose I should point out, just to avoid the most inane responses, that one of the options is indeed "disable".

News Comments > Mafia II Deluxe Edition, Preorder Bonus, and Steamworks Support
9. Re: Mafia II Deluxe Edition, Preorder Bonus, and Steamworks Support Jul 21, 2010, 13:44 Frode

I so wish they'd do something about digital download pricing already. 50 for a single player game, almost regardless of how good it might be, is just too rich for me. Especially when it'll almost certainly be available in stores at 35 at the same time.

So, physical product, transport, shelf space, 2-3 extra links in the distribution chain that wants their cut... And it's 30% cheaper than the downloaded version? Something's wrong with this picture.

News Comments > More World of Goo Sales Stats
7. Re: More World of Goo Sales Stats Oct 28, 2009, 16:45 Frode

A bug hampering certain aspect ratios from working correctly was fixed within weeks of the game's release.
The last I read (months after release), was that it still required mucking about in config files, and parts of the game was still off-screen. They tweaked it a bit so you could actually progress between levels, but that was it.

If they haven't done anything about it since then, it's status quo.

News Comments > More World of Goo Sales Stats
5. Re: More World of Goo Sales Stats Oct 28, 2009, 16:22 Frode

Did they ever get around to adding proper support for various resolutions? That's why I never bought it, not the price.  

News Comments > Pick Your Own World of Goo Price
1. Re: Pick Your Own World of Goo Price Oct 13, 2009, 12:49 Frode

Until they add proper support for common screen resolutions, they can give it away for free without me caring. No game is worth the hassle of rearranging icons and widgets after every time I play it.  

News Comments > The High Cost of WoW Obsession
11. Re: Game Reviews Sep 16, 2009, 04:27 Frode

It surprises me these people would spend so much with the economy being so bad right now. Save, save, save folks!

That only makes the problem worse. If you have a job and your finances are healthy enough to have disposable income, fanatically saving is the worst thing you can do during a recession. Those that still have jobs need to keep the economy alive by actually spending some money.

As for playing games/going to conventions being unhealthy? Doing those things doesn't make you unhealthy. Doing _only_ those things, might though.

Back on topic. The grand total over 5 years came out to $4400. We spent more than that on a 3 week vacation earlier this year. For all those hours of enjoyment, all those trips, all that time with the wife, I would have to agree with the author of the article. Money well spent.

News Comments > Need for Speed: SHIFT Specs & DRM
3. Re: Need for Speed: SHIFT Specs & DRM Sep 4, 2009, 17:46 Frode

SecuROM? Sorry, not happening. Even the "simple" offline CD check is quite effective at breaking itself and refusing to let you play your game.  

News Comments > PC Modern Warfare 2 $60? [Updated]
8. Re: PC Modern Warfare 2 $60? Aug 18, 2009, 10:13 Frode

Uhm, the first one was $70 on Steam when it was released. Though I suppose that could've been an inflated price shown only to Europeans. I remember thinking that was a ridiculously overpriced game, considering the reviews were pretty unanimous in mentioning the extremely short single player game. I never bought it.  

News Comments > Ubisoft's Anti-Piracy Plans
128. Re: Ubisoft's Anti-Piracy Aug 4, 2009, 12:34 Frode

Dropping the prices on all games to $20 solves nothing.
Maybe, maybe not. There have been documented cases recently where dropping the price by _a lot_ has increased sales by ridiculous amounts. Enough to compensate for the lower price many times over.

These were limited time sales, but still, it's food for thought. I can only speak for myself, but I know for certain that if all games were $20, I'd be spending a lot more on games than I am now. It's just extremely rare I see a game I feel is worth $50. But I see _tons_ I feel is worth $20.

News Comments > World of Warcraft 3.2 Info Blowout
25. Re: World of Warcraft 3.2 Info Blowout Aug 3, 2009, 03:25 Frode

I doubt it
Then you probably haven't played WoW all that much. Guilds wobbling due to lack of people is an annual holiday happening.

Whether the return to normal will or won't happen as usual this year only time will tell. I suspect it will though.

The whole China ordeal is probably a part of why they're silent about the subscriber numbers currently.

News Comments > World of Warcraft 3.2 Info Blowout
22. Re: World of Warcraft 3.2 Info Blowout Aug 2, 2009, 13:37 Frode

The main reason it's popular is because nearly every machine in the last 10 years can play it in some degree or fashion.
By that reasoning, every 10 year old game should be incredibly popular...

Joking aside, I agree machine requirements do play a part. Blizzard created an MMO "for everybody". Combine that with virtually everybody having sufficient hardware to play it, and the rest is history.

Anybody dismissing WoW based on graphics has no clue what makes a game enjoyable. It has never been the graphics.

33 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo