Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Carl

Real Name Carl   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname gsilver
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 18, 2008, 23:18
Total Comments 45 (Suspect)
User ID 54461

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Frozen Synapse Free Weekend; Sale
5. Re: Frozen Synapse Free Weekend; Sale Apr 18, 2014, 12:39 gsilver

The campaign of the game proved to be too much for my feeble brain.

I got stuck at the mission where you need to defend an elevator. I did eventually beat it after countless tries, but by that point, I felt done with the game, especially when I kept dying in the couple of missions that I played afterward.

...and the mission was fairly early in the campaign, too.

But even though it's way too hard for me, I can't deny that it's a brilliant game... but it helps to be a brilliant person, too

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > 75 More Steam Greenlights
5. Re: 75 More Steam Greenlights Apr 17, 2014, 11:48 gsilver

I'm glad to see NeonXSZ make it through. We need more good 6-DOF FPS games (similar to Descent).

I've been playing it since the Desura release, and it's quite good.

I saw the trailer to Mind: Path to Thalamus a few weeks ago, which also looked impressive.

News Comments > 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners
40. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 12:32 gsilver

Bundles are a big contributing factor to this. I often purchase bundles because I want to play 2-3 games in them, and they're cheap enough that it's very often worth buying a bundle for just two games in it. There are a number of games that have been in bundles that had yet to break the bundle price even individually.

Then, when you get the bundle, you can either redeem the codes for the games that you're unlikely to play, or let them sit.

Though when I buy games individually, by now it's almost always when I have time to play that particular game... though I still haven't found time to play Tomb Raider, which I bought over Christmas for $5

Edit:
Though just for fits and shiggles, I checked my Steam account. Yes, I do own Ricochet. I have no idea when I got it, but I assume that it was a fire-and-forget bundle redemption.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Mar 31, 2014, 10:50 gsilver

Yes, too much innovation is why the hundredth iteration of Mario doesn't sell, while stuff like Papers, Please, The Stanley Parable, and Gone Home are big on the PC.  

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Demo
9. Re: Shadow Warrior Demo Mar 27, 2014, 11:51 gsilver

Shadow Warrior is on my monolithic "to play" list.

...I've gotten better with my purchases, so I don't own it, thankfully.

Though I'll give the demo a shot.

News Comments > Molyneux: Indie Revival "Won't Last"
19. Re: Molyneux: Indie Revival Mar 25, 2014, 11:54 gsilver

I think that part of the problem with the indie scene these days is not enough quality control, too many developers, and not enough funds to go around.

The time between release and ultra-cheap bundle seems to be decreasing all the time (example: I bought One Finger Death Punch on the week of it's Steam release, and it was bundled less than a week later) and while that's not necessarily a bad thing for consumers, there's only so much money to go around, and each indie developer ends up getting a smaller and smaller piece of the pie. There are success stories, sure, but we also see good games that flat-out fail to sell.

I mean, sure, a lot of indies are doing great work, but they need to eat, too.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Mar 10, 2014, 19:52 gsilver

Heh. I think that's a record for me. I bought One Finger Death Punch yesterday (within the week of its Steam release, no less) and it's already part of a cheap bundle.

Fun game, though.

News Comments > Dark Souls II PC Specs
22. Re: Dark Souls II PC Specs Mar 7, 2014, 16:21 gsilver

A gamer on XP is a gamer who has not played Just Cause 2.
...That's a sad world to live in.

News Comments > Dark Souls II PC Specs
12. Re: Dark Souls II PC Specs Mar 7, 2014, 12:19 gsilver

I find it kind of funny that the "Minimum" video card (Radeon 5870) is more powerful than the "Recommended" one (Radeon 6870)... AMD renumbering shenanigans at work.  

News Comments > Strike Vector Free Content Released
6. Re: Strike Vector Free Content Released Mar 1, 2014, 16:34 gsilver

ViRGE wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 20:14:
I keep meaning to look into this game, but never get around to it. How is it?
I grew up playing games like Unreal Tournament, Descent, and Crimson Skies. Strike Vector combines a lot of what I like from each, and I find the gameplay to be absolutely thrilling.

The learning curve is no joke, though. The crashes can be frustrating until you figure out how to avoid them. Thankfully, the game has very good controls, so while you may frequently crash early on, it's always because you made a mistake, and not (just) the game being mean.

The game is a bit lacking on content/polish at the moment (the new CTF mode helps, a lot) but the developer is adding said content on (for now) a monthly basis, which helps.

News Comments > Strike Vector Free Content Released
1. Re: Strike Vector Free Content Released Feb 28, 2014, 15:42 gsilver

Delicious tasty walls. Every pilot wants to crash into them because of their tasty goodness... Unfortunately for them, that also usually results in death.

I like how when I jumped into it this time, the first map I played was Firestorm, which even a player like me, who is pretty good at the game, had a hard time avoiding crashing.

The Firestorm map is also a lot more Descent-ish than the other maps, which I like.

News Comments > Broforce Beta Sales; Steam Early Access Next Month
5. Re: Broforce Beta Sales; Steam Early Access Next Month Feb 11, 2014, 20:33 gsilver

I played this a while ago upon a friend's recommendation. Frankly, I had a blast with it. The destructible terrain has a lot to do with it, as do the characters.

I had some interesting runs, like knife-only (well, excluding a couple of blocks/bosses), or special weapon-only. In the latter, Indiana Brones is unstoppable.

From the trailer, it looks like they've added a lot of stuff since my last run.

News Comments > Space Pirates and Zombies 2 Announced
14. Re: SPAZ? Feb 7, 2014, 16:00 gsilver

I had a lot of fun with the original, but I also made liberal use of the cheat codes to bypass the grinding elements.

I don't find much fun in grinding, so it was nice to bypass all of that and focus on the combat.

I'm looking forward to the sequel.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Feb 4, 2014, 15:38 gsilver

One of the important things here is preservation of works where the author is unclear.

Things like No One Lives Forever will be *ahem* Forever off the market, because the rights issues are so convoluted that no one can publish it.

And that's just in gaming. With music, and collaborative recordings, things get far murkier.

News Comments > Epigenesis Free Weekend
1. Re: Epigenesis Free Weekend Feb 1, 2014, 13:03 gsilver

Logged on to Steam today to try it out... Something on Steam's servers is acting up, so there is no option to try it  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Strike Vector
5. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Strike Vector Jan 28, 2014, 16:11 gsilver

I've been playing this game for a few weeks.

The difficulty curve definitely needs mentioned. Until you get the hang of simple navigation, expect to crash, a lot. The nice thing is that the controls are quite responsive, and harrier mode can turn on a dime (plus, doesn't crash), so there are no situations in which a crash is unavoidable. It took me a few hours to get basic movement down, and I'm still learning the basics of actually shooting down other ships.

I think that the game could have used another month or so in beta, since there are still disconnect bugs, and some balance issues (for example, LMP is basically a weaker gatling... so there's little reason to ever use it)

Still, I'm having a ton of fun with the game, and it was instantly appealing to me.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access
15. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 20:45 gsilver

I've played a bit of it, and I've done pretty well thus far without putting any money into it.

There are aspects that are blatantly pay to win (like the armor, grenades, ammo... ok, a whole damn lot) but you can do perfectly well if you know what you're doing.

Though I've been playing Hawken, too, and that one seems a lot more reasonable, since there are real no "tiers" of mechs (later ones are just different, and they give you a bunch off the bat) and it's relatively easy to get any equipment you want for a mech.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Nov 15, 2013, 00:23 gsilver

Worth a buck for the old Jagged Alliance games, I suppose. I already have the others.  

News Comments > X Rebirth Trailer & LE Details
10. Re: X Rebirth Trailer & LE Details Oct 21, 2013, 14:33 gsilver

I will not preorder this one, but if they make good on their promise of making it accessible to mere mortals, I will buy for sure. I've always been fascinated by the scope and depth of the X games, and I loved Wing Commander / Privateer, but found actually playing X3:TC to be a rather frustrating experience.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Oct 21, 2013, 00:20 gsilver

At least with Breaking Bad, they took adequate steps to remove "availability" from the reasons to pirate. Old episodes are on Netflix, and new episodes are available for purchase online almost immediately.

Unlike some other shows...

45 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo