Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Carl

Real Name Carl   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname gsilver
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 18, 2008, 23:18
Total Comments 62 (Suspect)
User ID 54461

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > 10 Game Free Weekend on Steam Starts Tomorrow
6. Re: 10 Game Free Weekend on Steam Starts Tomorrow Oct 16, 2014, 00:52 gsilver

And I didn't even get around to *just* Space Engineers last weekend.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > X-Rebirth DLC Free to Preorder
16. Re: X-Rebirth DLC Free to Preorder Sep 28, 2014, 23:40 gsilver

If this game eventually becomes something good, I'll get it.

...but I'm not holding my breath.

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Launches
14. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2 Launches Sep 27, 2014, 17:37 gsilver

If the reviews are good, I am so getting this.
I've been intrigued by the game but have been holding out until it was done and the verdict was in.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Sep 9, 2014, 21:35 gsilver

I was hoping/expecting The Stanley Parable to be in this bundle.
Maybe in week 2.

I'm still getting it, since I've been curious about Papers, Please and Gone Home. Not enough to get either by itself, but in a bundle like this it makes sense.

News Comments > 48 Hours of Titanfall Free on Origin
19. Re: 48 Hours of Titanfall Free on Origin Aug 22, 2014, 10:52 gsilver

Slick wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 06:41:
ever eaten anything with corn in it? (hint: everything) you're supporting diabolical GMO programs by Monsanto corp. Did you drive a car to get that food?
If they could just keep the corn on my dinner plate and out of my car, that would be good enough for me.

I drive a classic car, which I want to be around for a while, and it doesn't handle corn ethanol well, at all. The legislation around ethanol is ridiculous, as well. Only small quantities of fuel can even make it to the pump uncontaminated, and there are only a few gas stations in my state that even sell it. I

Modern motorcycles, lawnmowers, and a lot of other devices that rely on gas engines don't handle it well, either. That's without even getting into the energy loss of producing the stuff in the first place, or the loss in gas mileage seen in any vehicle vs regular gas.

News Comments > NeonXSZ on Steam Friday
1. Re: NeonXSZ on Steam Friday Aug 18, 2014, 11:40 gsilver

I picked this one up on Desura when it launched. It's a really neat game.

There should be a more 6-DOF games on the market.

News Comments > Strike Vector Free Weekend
3. Re: Strike Vector Free Weekend Aug 7, 2014, 15:30 gsilver

I bought Strike Vector at launch, since as someone who grew up with Descent, Wing Commander, and Crimson Skies, the game deeply appealed to me.

The game has had a hard time finding an audience, but I found it to be remarkably fun, and one of my favorites of the year.

Now that they've fixed the pricing issue ($25 is rather high, but $10 is quite reasonable), and have the free weekend to draw people in, I'm hoping that it finds an audience.

News Comments > OpenXcom Version 1.0
10. Re: OpenXcom Version 1.0 Jun 16, 2014, 02:31 gsilver

Dual-wielding was in the original game, and quite important. Without a stun rod in the off-hand to help capture aliens, I'm not sure if I'd have been able to progress.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Premium Beta Begins
42. Re: Elite: Dangerous Premium Beta Begins May 30, 2014, 13:18 gsilver

For those complaining about the price, it's basically funding an unfinished project... getting access to an unfinished build is just a perk. He certainly isn't "selling" the game at that price.

If I were a stark-raving-mad fan of the genre, I could see myself donating (and that's what it is) that much to the project, but I'm not. I like space combat games, so I'll be interested in seeing how the final product turns out, but that, which he will actually *sell* will carry a normal price tag.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 29, 2014, 11:01 gsilver

Shouldn't they be trying for 24 FPS? That's the true film framerate!

Then, apply tons of motion blur to try to hide the low framerate, just like film.

After that, apply a flicker filter to make it look even more like film.

...I joke, but there may be a dev crazy enough to do that.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
10. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 17, 2014, 23:58 gsilver

Yay! $10 if I need to re-download Titanfall.

...We really need more (or really, any) choice in internet providers.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale May 15, 2014, 09:59 gsilver

Rattlehead wrote on May 14, 2014, 23:52:
siapnar wrote on May 14, 2014, 21:08:
Spec Ops: The Line is well worth a playthrough, if not just for the story. Combat is pretty good, too
Really, from the demo it seems like another generic third person military thing.
That's the first impression from it, but it's also wrong.
The narrative really does set it apart from other modern military shooters.

News Comments > 75 More Steam Greenlights
10. Re: 75 More Steam Greenlights May 15, 2014, 09:54 gsilver

nin wrote on May 14, 2014, 22:35:
I don't see superhot listed, but they say they made it in 5 days...

They made it through last year, iirc.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup May 14, 2014, 11:04 gsilver

I just may jump into this one.

I played the demo last year, and it was a ton of fun, and besides, who doesn't want to be Neo? I'd really like to play a full game of it.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse May 13, 2014, 00:09 gsilver

I'm kind of tempted to cancel my Netflix, too.

$8 translates to two high-priced movie rentals on Amazon, and I do have to ask myself: "Do I watch two movies a month on Netflix?"

The answer is usually no. Even then, the $4 movie rental is much more likely to be something that I want to see, as opposed to just "some movie" to fill time which Netflix very often ends up being. It feels like 8 times out of 10, if I want to see a particular movie, Netflix doesn't have it.

News Comments > NOLF Trademarks Filed
2. Re: NOLF Trademarks Filed May 1, 2014, 18:40 gsilver

From the sound of it, they picked up the IP somewhere, so this is (hopefully) the first step towards a release on GOG and other services.

...I've been wanting to replay NOLF. I've got the cds somewhere, but a rerelease would be nice.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Apr 24, 2014, 11:05 gsilver

The thing about review scores is that they need to serve as a filter for bad games.

For example, say a bundle shows up, and a game on it has a trailer that looks appealing to me. A quick search on Gamerankings shows a 45% review average. Having spent only about 10 seconds of my time, I instantly know that it isn't worth looking into. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of games being released each year, and it would be madness to read a 500 word review for each, let alone reviews for more than one source.

Even people like TotalBiscuit of WTF Is... fame who hates review scores usually puts in his videos "but is it any good?" which leads itself to a "thumbs-up/thumbs-down" response. During the actual video, he doesn't usually respond yes or no, but he does usually have an answer in mind.

By the time I'm reading a 500-word review, the actual score doesn't matter, but before I get to that point I want to know if it's worth it.

News Comments > Frozen Synapse Free Weekend; Sale
5. Re: Frozen Synapse Free Weekend; Sale Apr 18, 2014, 12:39 gsilver

The campaign of the game proved to be too much for my feeble brain.

I got stuck at the mission where you need to defend an elevator. I did eventually beat it after countless tries, but by that point, I felt done with the game, especially when I kept dying in the couple of missions that I played afterward.

...and the mission was fairly early in the campaign, too.

But even though it's way too hard for me, I can't deny that it's a brilliant game... but it helps to be a brilliant person, too

News Comments > 75 More Steam Greenlights
5. Re: 75 More Steam Greenlights Apr 17, 2014, 11:48 gsilver

I'm glad to see NeonXSZ make it through. We need more good 6-DOF FPS games (similar to Descent).

I've been playing it since the Desura release, and it's quite good.

I saw the trailer to Mind: Path to Thalamus a few weeks ago, which also looked impressive.

News Comments > 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners
40. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 12:32 gsilver

Bundles are a big contributing factor to this. I often purchase bundles because I want to play 2-3 games in them, and they're cheap enough that it's very often worth buying a bundle for just two games in it. There are a number of games that have been in bundles that had yet to break the bundle price even individually.

Then, when you get the bundle, you can either redeem the codes for the games that you're unlikely to play, or let them sit.

Though when I buy games individually, by now it's almost always when I have time to play that particular game... though I still haven't found time to play Tomb Raider, which I bought over Christmas for $5

Edit:
Though just for fits and shiggles, I checked my Steam account. Yes, I do own Ricochet. I have no idea when I got it, but I assume that it was a fire-and-forget bundle redemption.

62 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo