Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Blah D Blah

Real Name Blah D Blah   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dades
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 16, 2008, 12:22
Total Comments 2597 (Senior)
User ID 54452

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Linux Plans
43. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 17, 2012, 18:03 Dades

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 08:07:
Linux looks like ass, is more difficult to use, barely supports games, has limited application support, has poor driver support, has a poor user experience, etc. To claim that it is superior to Windows is laughable. That's not to say it doesn't have many merits but if you want to do anything practical with your computer then that pretty much rules out Linux.

Windows is almost as bad as LED TVs, uh oh!

Sounds like you haven't even used Linux in the past five years. Do you think Valve decides to commit millions in resources to development on inferior operating systems going nowhere if they could just stick with Windows and not worry about it? Maybe like many other people, they are worried about Windows 8 being a turd.

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2012, 18:08.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends
43. Re: Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends Jul 16, 2012, 19:14 Dades

Closed Betas wrote:
Server side control of drops, which alleviates all types of hacking, duping, and online auction house protection.

That's working out really well for them so far.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
84. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 17:04 Dades

Rage sucks for $5 because you'll get more fun out of your money from pretty much any other $5 game in the steam sale. It's also a really mediocre game that id put out and left to die after getting their first month sales.  

News Comments > Medal of Honor: Warfighter to Grant Battlefield 4 Beta Access?
34. Re: Medal of Honor: Warfighter to Grant Battlefield 4 Beta Access? Jul 15, 2012, 10:39 Dades

$70 for new games plus your shitty timed preorder crap and a mountain of DLC, yeah no fucking thanks.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2012, 16:52 Dades

Fang wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 16:39:
I just picked up a virus from one of the links here. I believe it was the How HL2 will end link. It didn't load for me, instead it went to a steam community files link, and it started loading virus popups soon after that.

Just a warning for anyone else. Hopefully, it can prevent others from losing an afternoon.

You're probably compromised from a different source, I couldn't find any ads or external content on that link and scans shows it as clean. I would look into localized malware using MalwareBytes but if you already cleaned your machine, the actual source is likely gone already.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 13, 2012, 23:24 Dades

Heard nothing but complaints about the new XBL interface and it's massive spam of ads. Can't believe people pay for that trash, sucker born every minute.  

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
64. Re: Diablo III Patched Jul 13, 2012, 17:11 Dades

10 years and 2 expansions changes a lot. Dont be stupid.

They've had roughly that same time period and a budget the size of Everest to make Diablo III so that excuse doesn't fly.

News Comments > Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter
42. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 17:08 Dades

Darks wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 14:49:
Re-Added

#$%^ off dude, if you’re too stupid to understand what I was relaying across then you’re a lost cause and part of the problem.

Readding moderated posts is probably a good way to get banned and that kind of immature garbage makes it obvious why it was removed.

News Comments > Vivendi Seeking Activision Buyers
84. Re: Vivendi Seeking Activision Buyers Jul 12, 2012, 21:51 Dades

Speaking of crashes, if anyone remains morbidly curious about this, the first creditors meeting occured a few days ago for 38 Studios. 38 Studios missed all forecasts. A few former 38Studios execs testified under oath about the state of the company, its assets, and the days leading up to its collapse. Guess what? Curt was largely full of shit about most of the stuff he said.

They did cling to the fact that they had other "investors" super eager to pour money into them if only the state had approved tax credits that the state could not have legally approved, but denial is weird like that.

News Comments > UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year
2. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 12, 2012, 21:20 Dades

Looks like they're trying for Minecraft Fortress. Might be successful, those are two massive communities.  

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
101. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 21:19 Dades

Wow Steam has really upped its support game, I sent in a ticket and got an answer and fix in 20 minutes.  

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
95. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 20:51 Dades

Teddy wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 20:39:
Amazon's download service is US only. Can't even buy keys from them from elsewhere, unless you want to mess with VPN's. Can't speak for him, but that's why I don't use it.

Incorrect, you can setup a billing address on your Amazon account with a US property/place and it will happily let you buy/download whatever you want even if you use a foreign credit card. They don't seem to verify the details against your credit card. A lot of canadians at Slickdeals seem to use public US addresses like government buildings, libraries and hospitals.

I don't think this works with Amazon Instant Video but it does work for the videogame marketplace, thousands of people use it. Anything you have to get shipped will obviously not.

News Comments > Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced
43. Re: Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced Jul 12, 2012, 19:11 Dades

Classic EA franchise my ass.  

News Comments > Clint Hocking Joins Valve
15. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 12, 2012, 19:00 Dades

killer_roach wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 15:53:
Considering the number of employees Valve has, they should be doing at least one full-scale game a year. Then again, Steam has pretty well allowed them to take their time with their projects.

Nothing wrong with Valve shepherding projects along if it keeps producing quality games. Most of the ones mentioned here were unpolished alpha mod equivalents before they were in the picture, people really underestimate the level of work involved.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Jul 12, 2012, 07:14 Dades

Penny Arcade: "What we're asking for is fair"…

You make a web comic, have some perspective.

77. Re: Vivendi Seeking Activision Buyers Jul 12, 2012, 06:58 Dades

Krovven wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 04:34:
wtf_man wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 20:59:
I said WoW and probably COD... two of their major cash cows, are on a downward trend.

Again, try reading their financial reports, you are wrong. They made 1 billion in profits in 2011 over 416mil in 2010, with WoW and CoD being their main earners. This is fact. This is not debatable. This is not opinion. It's that simple.

You're the one who should try reading the second part of what he said. He said they are on a downward trend but still very profitable which is a big part of why Vivendi wants to offload them.

News Comments > EA Shakeup Rumor
24. Re: EA Shakeup Rumor Jul 11, 2012, 21:37 Dades

RailWizard wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 20:28:
"Live within your means." does not seem to apply to the corporate video game world any longer.

Apparently not. That's Times Square, you might as well piss money away advertising there. I wonder how much that one cost them.

56. Re: Vivendi Seeking Activision Buyers Jul 11, 2012, 18:26 Dades

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 18:14:
Dades wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 17:40:
Bubbles can burst.

Maybe this is just semantics, but that isn't a "bubble bursting" to me. Guitar Hero's sales steadily declined to the point where it just didn't make sense to continue with Guitar Hero 6 (or whatever they ended at). That was a reasonable cost-value judgement. The 3DS is struggles for a number of reason, the big one being everyone already owns some version of the DS and 3D isn't really worth the upgrade... but that isn't really a bubble.

Your examples in my opinion weren't bubbles bursting but simply market corrections. The products themselves ran a little high for a period of time, but the market corrected itself and the impact of their loss in the long run was rather minor to the industry as a whole. More of a fad than a bubble as at the time the products were something of value, they just over saturated the market or got played out, replaced by something new and shiny.

That's just splitting hairs over the terminology. You brought up some examples of modern franchises that seem like there is no downside, your exact phrasing was "if that were true then Call of Duty 3 or Black Ops wouldn't have sold half as well". I brought up some previous examples to show that nothing short of the Mario franchise is etched in stone in the videogame industry. The audience is changing as much as the gaming industry and there are many different things vying for peoples attention these days. I don't take it for granted that the publishers will be able to sustain themselves with this same business model. People like to compare movies to games but movies are a social activity for both sexes and all ages, much more than gaming and the opportunities for upselling are totally different.

Maybe videogames as a market will eventually get to that point, DLC has been successful so far but there are a number of conflicting business models at work that need to be sorted out. I think F2P is a lot more promising but it begs the question of what investors will finance the upfront costs if there are no box sales.

52. Re: Vivendi Seeking Activision Buyers Jul 11, 2012, 17:40 Dades

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 17:13:
I feel if your vision of the consumer and the industry were true, Call of Duty 3 and Black Ops wouldn't of sold half as well. But like we've both said, that is a matter of opinion and my computer science degree doesn't help my case much in matters of economics or sociology.

Bubbles can burst. Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero seemed unstoppable juggernauts once upon a time too. The DS Lite sold umpteen units while the 3DS struggles. The core gaming industry is no longer as concentrated as it was when the last generation started and the casual market is very transient as the Wii has demonstrated. I think you overestimate peoples reliance on videogames for entertainment, we are a society of many distractions these days even more than five years ago.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
44. Re: Diablo III Patched Jul 10, 2012, 19:11 Dades

eunichron wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 17:52:
How is streamlining not a valid card to play? It puts more focus on the action, and less on whether or not you have built your character correctly. As I said, whether or not their design choices were successful is purely subjective. They could have played it safe and made another Diablo 2 clone as Runic and Grinding Gear have opted to do

Action RPGs are already about action oriented gameplay, the lack of customization and choice (no, I'm not just talking about attributes) just hurts its long term gameplay depth as we're now seeing. I don't view reduction as innovation. They reduced a lot of features from the previous games or replaced them in less meaningful ways with little gameplay testing.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2012, 19:19.

2597 Comments. 130 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo