Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Blah D Blah

Real Name Blah D Blah   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dades
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 16, 2008, 12:22
Total Comments 2575 (Senior)
User ID 54452

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
49. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2012, 18:41 Dades

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 18:28:
You shoot with cops all the time and you've never encountered the sheepdog analogy? You're either full of it or you shoot with Barney Fife. That analogy is so common among LEOs that to not hear it ever means you're not talking to LEOs. Hell, I know many civilians that consider themselves sheepdogs because they would jump in to help even though others wouldn't.

No, you have misread and inserted words that were not there. Hearing of a theory and subscribing to it are two different things. I've heard of it, I don't subscribe to it and in my experience with cops and soldiers, many others do not as well.

I'm not even going to attempt to respond to the argument against carrying a gun. You can believe what you like, it doesn't bother me one bit until you try to push your ideology on me.

Good because I didn't make any argument against carrying a gun, I said I don't think civilians being armed is a good idea as some sort of solution to violent confrontations in public places. No one pushed any ideology on you. I believe in (and exercise) the right to carry arms, I do not believe carrying arms is necessarily a solution to every problem, even violent ones.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2012, 18:49.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2012, 17:25 Dades

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 16:45:
It is VERY accurate. Ask any law enforcement, military, or other similar profession. Doesn't really matter if it is humble or not. I don't go waving it around, I posted a link. Never even have brought it up before, and I don't go bragging. You wanna jump on my shit? It doesn't bother me one bit. I am proud of what I do, as are my peers. The studies done in regards to sheep, wolves, and sheep dogs are numerous. I stand by my statements.

No one jumped anything. I don't prod you, I don't know you, you're some random internet person who means nothing to me outside of the text they post. Sometimes I agree with you, other times I don't. I read the link, there were no links to any studies in it, just a vague set of societal classifications that I don't agree with. I shoot with cops and soldiers at the range and competitions all the time, they are made up of the same moral and social archetypes that the rest of us are.

I like to think that most cops, soldiers, EMS, firefighters and other public servants feel a duty and honor to serve. They aren't warriors bred to fight evil wolves or some other romantic notion. They are normal people who choose to do these things and that is what makes them worthy of respect in my mind.

45. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2012, 16:33 Dades

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 16:18:
It won't matter what I say dades, you are a cop basher and have prodded me since day one. I really don't care about your opinion nor how you feel about mine. I am as humble as I need to be.

That's very dishonest, I have never bashed any law enforcement. You were the one posing a scenario, the rest of us were just responding to it. As for being humble, you called other people sheep and labeled yourself some sort of benevolent protector. It is not a very accurate depiction nor is it humble.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2012, 15:45 Dades

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 13:41:
If there were 10 armed citizens in there, I bet not ONE of them wold realize the other 9 were there. You have never been in a stressful/heightened situation. You tunnel, they would have eliminated the threat and a lot less people would have died. They all would have focused on 1 thing - the crazy man shooting people.

None of us was there but it was a darkened theater filled with people bumping, jostling, running for cover, tripping over others and screaming. The gun man had multiple weapons, body armor and the element of surprise. I doubt any civilian being armed would have made a difference except perhaps inflicing accidental damage to themselves or others. Very surprised to hear someone claiming to be a cop that actually wants armed civilians in that situation, trained or not.

I carry everywhere. Did before I was a cop, will after I retire. I am a sheep dog. I watch over the sheep.
http://killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

You're certainly very humble about it too.

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: etc., etc. Aug 11, 2012, 01:57 Dades

D_K_night wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 00:58:
"The message from players exiting the game is clear: 40% say they were turned off by the monthly subscription, and many indicate they would come back if we offer a free-to-play model,"

- WRONG. That's not the reason players left.

The reason they left, was not because of the subscription fee, but because the content within the game didn't justify the sub fee.

If the sub fee really was the reason, then why didn't WoW immediately implode and die? It's because, as dated as the game is(for the moment in time, until their next expansion)...I apologize for saying this guys, but WoW is still a very good game. Engine responsiveness second to none, plenty of content to explore...list goes on forever.

Thank you, god these executives can be totally brainless and disconnected from the very content they fund. They made a game that wasn't worth paying a monthly fee for, that's the real problem. Going free to play won't necessarily solve that, they don't have a lot of post level content that is compelling.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
46. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 11, 2012, 00:55 Dades

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 16:12:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 15:17:
Whether it's a "BUSH IS HITLER" or "OBAMA IS HITLER" sign, the person holding it is just as retarded.

Don't disagree with you there.

Mighty big concession there.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2012, 00:49 Dades

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 19:46:
I followed his link and got right into the beta. Not that it was very enjoyable. Holy lag!

Yeah I've been in this since the tech test started and I'd just like to warn people that its a real beta. It has many problems and its about reporting and killing bugs, it's not a glorified demo like most other betas.

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Aug 11, 2012, 00:23 Dades

Closed Betas wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 20:28:
Trust me when I say stay far away from Green Man Gaming... You have been OFFICIALLY warned..

Oh they're fine, stop being such a weirdo.

News Comments > Diablo III 1.04 This Month
17. Re: Diablo III 1.04 This Month Aug 11, 2012, 00:21 Dades

I love the misdirection. Please ignore our massively embarrassing security breach, here's some patch scraps that mostly reverse bone headed decisions people warned us about!  

News Comments > Diablo III 1.04 This Month
9. Re: Diablo III 1.04 This Month Aug 10, 2012, 20:37 Dades

Alamar wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 19:59:
Unleash the Told-ya-so's...

-Alamar

People did tell them so already, many times.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2012, 17:55 Dades

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 17:18:
Yes, people declare the bloody end every time something happens with guns. Crazily enough, it's never happened. Oh no! The assault weapon ban was lifted! The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Mass murder every day of the week....oh, wait, it didn't happen. BUT IT COULD HAVE!

Give me a break.

I love hunting and have been doing it most my life but people shouldn't carry concealed weapons of any kind in public places without incredibly stringent requirements on training and mental faculty for decision making. It has nothing to do with gun control debates or how people feel about vigilantism, it's just about human nature. Most people do not make good decisions under stress and stressful situations become dangerous when people have weapons. Conceal carry permits go partway to addressing this but fail to take into account situations where someone with adequate training could still be influenced by outside factors. It also makes things a lot more difficult for law enforcement.

People having weapons will rarely prevents situations like this, it is the price of having a society. There will always be social outliers, people with mental problems and sociopaths who will find a way to hurt others. That is why we have law enforcement, mental health care and a justice system. It doesn't always work right but for the most part we all muddle through.

News Comments > Firefall eSpots Toolkit Plans
4. Re: Firefall eSpots Toolkit Plans Aug 10, 2012, 17:48 Dades

Please leave the typo, it makes this story cooler for some reason.  

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Rebirth Interview; Video
9. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Rebirth Interview; Video Aug 10, 2012, 17:46 Dades

Few other companies would have the sack to say they're sorry and try to fix the game from the ground up. How about a trailer showing something other than cinematics? Damn Square-Enix loves their bloody CGI.  

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support
13. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 17:43 Dades

I'm probably alone in this but I thought Terror from the Deep was a better game and way more tense. Something about finding a downed alien ship underwater was just awesome.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 17:37 Dades

nin wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 16:17:
Smartphones & tablets have rendered high-end portables obsolete.

Until they get past touch based controls, I'm going to disagree with you there. But I openly admit I may be in the minority with that opinion...

You can use a PS3 controller with an Android phone right now, they added support for game controllers in 4.0 ICS. I think it is kind of ridiculous to tote both around but the option is there.

Kids are the main market for portable gaming outside of Japan where public transportation is ubiquitous. Nintendo has a lock on them thanks to Mario, Pokemon and their other mascots. Sony is making portable systems for adults which is to be lauded but their market has consoles, computers and many other places to game already. They also don't have the same travel time to use for portable gaming that a younger audience will.

News Comments > Epic Forms Impossible Studios from Big Huge Ashes
15. Re: Epic Forms Impossible Studios from Big Huge Ashes Aug 10, 2012, 07:40 Dades

If these folks can produce a compelling title for mobile platforms that includes serious gamers, it'll sell bucketloads and they'll be heroes.

I don't actually believe this is possible, the mobile market has incredible visibility problems. You would need to spend at least your dev budget on marketing to pull it off. Go look at the shelves in a Wal-mart for the Wii, multiply what you see by one thousand and you'll see what they're up against. Many people are not interested in playing serious games on a phone, they just want something silly to pass the time while they're on the train or sitting at the doctors office. Even if you get them interested, good luck getting them to pay real game prices when they're used to paying $1 or nothing for every game.

News Comments > Battle.net Security Breach
48. Re: Battle.net Security Breach Aug 10, 2012, 07:25 Dades

passwords (encrypted, not stored plaintext)

Their wording is really vague on this which concerns me. Cryptographically scrambled means what exactly? Hashed and salted? Encrypted? ROT13? What? It's kind of important. I don't need someone to parrot industry standards to me either, the company just got breached so my faith in them following any industry standards is pretty much nil.

32. Re: Battle.net Security Breach Aug 9, 2012, 21:32 Dades

s1mon75 wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 21:09:
yet the vast majority of their users will continue to play and enjoy their games.

The majority hitting the web in general bitching up a storm or the majority of millions of lost wow subs in the last three months?

You don't speak for a majority more than anyone else does. Every company is fallible, Blizzard is no different.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Gets GoW Producer
16. Re: BioShock Infinite Gets GoW Producer Aug 9, 2012, 20:21 Dades

Ratty wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 19:08:
I've posted this thought here before but I'll do it again. From everything I've heard they're trying to do some REALLY challenging things that nobody has ever done before. They way they describe what Elizabeth can do and how she reacts in different situations is far advanced of any AI companion in any game so far. The other thing Ken mentions, the skylines, I've never seen anything like that either.

I've been skeptical of the trailers. They seemed so much like cut scenes to me which is a real step back for sandbox games. But I'm thinking - hoping - it's simply because they were showing things that had never been done and I was unused to.

It all looked scripted to me. Have you seen any versions of those trailers where the gameplay is any different? I haven't and I've been trying. Companies normally show off and tout that sort of stuff, they don't hide it.

21. Re: Battle.net Security Breach Aug 9, 2012, 20:09 Dades

I think you mean authentication. But realistically, you're making the same mistake. And making a stupid assumption.

It was a typo and I've made no assumptions, just allowed for the possibility that due to this security breach a user account could be compromised. That could be due to social engineering using information gained, phishing campaigns with the emails harvested or yes even something involving accounts directly, however unlikely.

2575 Comments. 129 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo