Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Blah D Blah

Real Name Blah D Blah   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dades
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 16, 2008, 12:22
Total Comments 2575 (Senior)
User ID 54452

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
26. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 20:31 Dades

a7m2 wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 19:59:
Make sure to mention all these valid points in the next petition.

Snide one liners don't address anything I said. They are selling a product to a specific market, they are not your little buddy doing you a favor. I didn't petition anyone but I'm sure the people that did had more in mind than "welp heres a pc game, we think!".

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 19:31 Dades

a7m2 wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 19:22:
Nobody's forcing you to play it. Don't you think that we're lucky to even get this port at all, from a small dev team inexperienced with a PC platform?

Nobody is forcing you to defend it so vigorously and yet here you are too. It's not an act of charity, they release a PC game and the market judges it accordingly. Most don't that it was a console game before or that the developers don't know much about the platform. If you want to treat it differently because the developers don't make many PC games then thats your right but it's not going to stop other people from treating it appropriately.

As for the controls, the keyboard and mouse are the standard forms of input on the PC so gamers generally like to see them well accounted for in the porting process. This shouldn't be difficult to understand and whatever controls are "optimal" doesn't really matter, it's a point of preference.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 16:35 Dades

a7m2 wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 16:26:
From Software did a great job with this port, considering all the circumstances

The software simply running on a computer does not a good port make.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins
44. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 11:35 Dades

My one beef is that its yet another MMO with a UI you can't customize. The UI is fantastic and I love 99% of it but it would be nice to move things around or change them a bit. You would figure since WOW introduced some client side scripting that others would get in on it but nope.  

36. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 00:48 Dades

It's not built like WOW, don't expect an endgame raiding setup. I keep telling my friends this because I don't want them to bum rush the leveling content then get upset in a month, it's not the usual subscription MMO with repetitive content that you're meant to do in perpetuity. They expect you to take breaks from the game, come back for more content, expansions and to pvp.  

News Comments > Torchlight II Release Date Announcement Next Week
32. Re: Torchlight II Release Date Announcement Next Week Aug 26, 2012, 00:15 Dades

Yakubs wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 23:53:
I haven't tried TL2 but I have a hard time believing the improvements are really that earth-shattering.

They are, it's night and day for most things except the art style. I disliked TL1 but TL2 is pretty good and revives that ARPG addiction feeling I haven't had since D2.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
14. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Aug 25, 2012, 23:03 Dades

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 17:13:
Anyone paying close enough attention to know if Apple's patent suit is anywhere close to having merit? Or is it just normal stupid patent law that would have been thrown out before the trial started if common sense prevailed?

You can look at most of the court documents online, I was checking out Apples declaration of patent violations earlier. It contained gems like "black and rectangular".

Samsung (and LG) certainly aren't totally innocent, I remember Whirlpool caught them stealing trade secrets and violating patents in their appliance lines a few years ago. This is just ridiculous though, Apple is trying to litigate away any competition. Even a drastically different design would still violate their incredibly vague patent portfolio.

I'd be freakin' pissed if I worked on something for 5 years using my own hard-earned money and all that time, only for someone else (a much bigger company) to come along and blatantly rip off my design and start selling it in just a few months! I'm glad Samsung lost. This kind of copying stalls technology because it does not encourage innovation. Apple and Samsung aside, this shouldn't happen to anyone! I hope the injunction goes through! No one should be able to sell a flippin' copy of my idea!! Think about if it was your idea! You'd be pissed too.

Uh no, read what the patents consist of. You are totally offbase here.

News Comments > Torchlight II Release Date Announcement Next Week
26. Re: Torchlight II Release Date Announcement Next Week Aug 25, 2012, 23:00 Dades

I didn't really like Torchlight, the skills and weapons were pretty boring. I liked some of the ideas they had but I played it for a day or two and forgot about it quickly. This game looks a lot better though, an actual overworld, quests and story to dive into. The skill tree seems a lot more fleshed out too.  

31. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 25, 2012, 22:55 Dades

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 22:48:
Any comments on PvP? Thats what sold me on GW1 honestly, the MMORPG part of GW2 is cool, but for me not the selling point, as it honestly looks like any other MMORPG. I'm not sure if you have to level to a certain level to actually try it or like in GW1 you can roll a premade char with select skills and try it immediately?

sPvP lets you enter the game at maximum level with all skills, races, items and classes automatically unlocked. The rewards are mostly cosmetic.

WvW is characters of any level, using the skills that you have in your possession at that particular time. The rewards are things like exp and money. WvS is essentially an improved version of DAOCs RvR, siege weapons, castles and the like. It's quite fun. You should still level a character to 80 at some point though so that you have your unlocks all done at least.

27. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 25, 2012, 22:43 Dades

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 22:23:
Maybe i'm being pessimistic, wouldnt be the first time. But this game's Blues News reception is earily similar to SWTOR....i want to believe....i really really do

Even if you only liked one race and one class you would still have a shitload of stuff to do for $60. There's no sub fees, just buy it, play until you're bored then stop. Pick it up again later when they patch, expand or you just want to WvW. It is really fun, the launch had a few minor hiccups but has been pretty smooth.

Make sure you get out of the early areas before you judge the whole game though, they are a bit of zergfest right now since its launch time. Some stuff might be confusing as it treats many things a bit differently than other MMORPGs but you pick it up gradually.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
33. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 15:34 Dades

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 14:57:
I installed windows 8 on a local PC that seniors use. Guess what, they all loved it. It was far easier to use than their old XP. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it. For the average user, Windows 8 is better!

Oh right, your made up internet anecdote trumps any other thoughts, we forgot.

There is nothing wrong with the interface!

On a tablet.

26. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 13:02 Dades

Enahs wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 10:57:
Most of you do not seem to understand what the vast majority of people use computers for. Simple stuff. Web browsing, Word. Gaming for the masses are simple games ala Angry Birds. The vast majority of people just want their computer to work, and be easy to use.

I don't think they really wanted an inefficient tablet interface for PC use but we'll see.

That is what Windows 8 is. The small minority of internet nerds and journalists (relative to the major population) use the computer completely different then what the majority of the planet uses.

The idea that tech enthusiasts, IT workers and others don't matter is flawed. Those are the people who installed Windows XP for everyone who bitched about Windows Vista. They helped Mozilla and Chrome achieve significant market share. Word of mouth sways opinion as easily as traditional marketing these days thanks to the internet and many people just want to be told their best options rather than figuring it out for themselves.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads
58. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 25, 2012, 12:52 Dades

Everything appears to be up and stable now. The patching server is a bit iffy but a few retries gets you in. Looks like they will be in good shape for the official launch.  

19. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 09:38 Dades

I doubt the EU will do anything at all. MS is doing it right now, you can't distribute desktop apps at all on the store. You can have a link that goes offsite, thats it. The EU can't stop them with the threat of fines that are heavily outweighed by the profits derived from the behavior. Apple is doing this stuff and worse with their app store and they have a near monopoly in some regions. This walled garden bullshit is where the future is headed, we'd be there already if MS didn't have to worry about upsetting their meal ticket corporate customers who need compatibility.  

17. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 09:25 Dades

Prez wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 05:33:
Seriously, I can't for the life of me understand how I'm supposed to buy that Valve and Blizzard are going to be afraid about Microsoft elbowing in on their territory as the author seems to insinuate. Why in the hell would any PC gaming company be afraid of Microsoft when every last "effort" (if it can even be called that) MS has made in the PC gaming space has been a disaster or a joke?

Is it the control that Microsoft will have? Maybe, but I am reading that the author thinks that Gabe Newell is lashing out because he feels threatened by MS as a competitor, which is just laughable.

You're not looking at the big picture. They will control:

- API
- the distribution chain
- exposure in OS
- approval/denial rights

Desktop and desktop apps are now going to be hidden away. You can't manage them from Metro and vice versa. The desktop is going to become legacy code, only preserved to keep corporate customers happy. They already tried to shut desktop apps out of the store and it took a monumental effort to get them to concede to allow a website link for them.

If Microsoft didn't have plans for these things, metro would be truly optional. They are building for a new generation and one only needs to look at Xbox Live or the Apple App store to see what the end game is.

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 01:27 Dades

Since a few people brought up Apple, they won their shitty patent war. Unfuckingbelievable. The US patent system needs to be dissolved and redrawn.  

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 24, 2012, 23:53 Dades

noman wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 20:04:
The second article rightly claims that Windows 8 is good for gaming. It really is, even in the release preview version. It's faster and more stable than Windows7, with lower memory footprint and better CPU/GPU resource usage.

Bullshit, 3% difference on mostly synthetic benchmarks is well within runtime differentials and margin of error. Stability is to TBD.

Metro is mostly optional

You need to revisit the definition of optional.

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 24, 2012, 18:46 Dades

First article addresses most of the crap in the second article. Windows 8 is MS trying to force the world onto their shitty store so they can get a cut before Apple runs away with the mobile market.

If anyone wants to see just what accepting Windows 8 and the MS store will look like, have a gander at the ad filled wunderdunce that is Xbox Live.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
58. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 24, 2012, 07:20 Dades

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 14:46:
Well the Windows 7 article forgot one big point. Windows 8 is going to be far cheaper than 7, hence I think 8 will be far more popular than he thinks.

Oh and to all of you whining about Windows 8, if you took some time to get used to it, you would realize it is far superior to 7.

The price doesn't really matter, most computer users won't buy their own copy of Win8, it will be preinstalled. That $40 price is a promotional deal that has an expiration date. Why can't I toggle metro if I don't want their phone interface? Just even how you interact with it doesn't make any sense for mouse use.

No one said the start menu in previous versions of Windows was more useful necessarily, that's a different argument

Its better at making MS money by driving people to the store LOL.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2012, 07:38.

News Comments > 38 Studios Assets & IP To Be Sold
12. Re: 38 Studios Assets & IP To Be Sold Aug 24, 2012, 07:11 Dades

DrEvil wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 21:25:
PHJF wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 21:13:
Nobody is going to give one cent for this worthless IP, by the way.

Actually, the IP behind the world itself is worth something. R.A. Salvatore and others spent a great deal of time creating an entire world and characters just for the game. The game itself barely scratched the surface of what was written and created for it.

Amalur was pretty standard and unremarkable, I'm not sure anyone cares about the world or characters. The creation of it might have cost money but the value is determined by what the public will pay for its products. The only reason Amalur shipped 1 million copies was due to EAs distribution muscle and an expensive advertising campaign.

2575 Comments. 129 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo