Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Blah D Blah

Real Name Blah D Blah   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dades
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 16, 2008, 12:22
Total Comments 2597 (Senior)
User ID 54452

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Silicon Knights ordered to recall and destroy all unsold copies of Too Human, X-Men Destiny, mor Nov 10, 2012, 00:43 Dades

Prez wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 23:37:
I never played it so if someone says "Too Human" was a terrible game I can't refute it. However, the idea of a judge mandating that a work of creative art (even a bad one) be destroyed is a disturbing one to me. It just seems unnecessary; forcing them to stop selling the game and paying back the revenues earned from the game seems that it would be adequate. It's not so much this particular game but the precedent it sets - as crazy as copyright law has gotten it presents some worrisome possibilities.

It's just unsold copies sitting in inventory or on store shelves. They were also ordered to destroy all source code so that the game can't be remade but that seems fair considering what SK did. The whole suit was preposterous, can't say that Dyack didn't get the compuppance he so richly deserved. Here's the actual decision, the interesting stuff starts at page 17.

Basically they said Epic delivered an engine that didn't work, and that they broke all of their improvements off to a new engine that was now their original property, then they proceeded to sue Epic and refused to pay for the UE stuff they did receive. In reality, "their" engine contained a massive amount of stolen code from UE3 (they even duped comments vertabim including spelling errors), then they tried to hide it through code scrubbing.

So what they did was make their own engine using trade secrets from UE3 engine which is why these products are being recalled. Each game contains copied code from UE3, for example:

The Box/Ritualyst contained 20,259 lines of Epic Game's UE3 code,
The Sandman contained 20,259 lines of Epic Game's UE3 code,
X-men Destiny contained 16,065 lines of Epic Game's UE3 code,
Siren the Maelstrom contained 535 lines of Epic Game's UE3 code.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 2012, 01:02.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Molyneux's Curious PC Curiosity Explanation
7. Re: Molyneux's Curious PC Curiosity Explanation Nov 10, 2012, 00:18 Dades

I made a game where people play a game that makes a game for others to play, it's called Redundancy. I have been completely swamped with people who want to play it, it is too popular for me to really tell you when the PC version is coming but it will be out as soon as I'm sure there are enough gullible losers AHEM customers to play my experience. I am Peter Molyneux and my head is a hot air balloon.

News Comments > No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"
112. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2012, 23:58 Dades

Prez wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 23:27:
If my posting too much bothers you I guess I'll stop. Don't want to piss off anyone else needlessly!

It doesn't bother me, I just found it weird you said people were being hysterical when you come across as one of the most opinionated about it I've seen

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 9, 2012, 23:35 Dades

killer_roach wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 15:55:
Biggest issue with plasmas anymore is weight and power consumption. No matter what you do, a good plasma's going to use several times more juice than an LED.

That's not true of the newer plasmas, LCDs have also increased in power usage in many cases due to adding other functionality. My new LG plasma and a Sony LCD are within 10W of each other under load according to my Killawatt device. The newer plasmas are much thinner now too and have more attractive bezel designs, if you saw my LG from the side you could easily confuse it for an LCD. I think it weighs roughly 50 pounds though so that removes a lot of female shoppers from the equation. It's a middle market plasma at best so I wasn't expecting much but it blows our other TVs out of the water in terms of picture quality.

News Comments > No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"
110. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2012, 23:22 Dades

Prez wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 23:00:
But the level of over-the-top hysteria surrounding what is essentially a minor change is ridiculous.

I think you've posted more about it than anyone else here so I don't know where you're getting hysteria from. I get your argument about preference but difficulty levels are a more effective way of ensuring everyone gets to play the game they want. Regenerating health is almost always lazy, bandaid design. Maybe in a perfect gaming industry they would actually balance around regenerating health appropriately but we all know game development is often chaotic and rushed out the door so often its just the fastest approach to gold certification. I don't think having a traditional health system means shutting anyone out either, regen systems have their own set of quirks and problems just the same.

News Comments > Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year
5. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 7, 2012, 22:39 Dades

nin wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 22:20:
What about a Torchlight 2 expansion? That sounds a lot more fun!

The Runic guys are pretty burnt out on Torchlight stuff after almost five years of doing it, they are doing a different game next. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with, it might not even be an ARPG.

News Comments > Steam for Linux Beta Client
21. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 7, 2012, 21:44 Dades

As long as they contribute GPL'd code back then they are free to do whatever they want, stop being a nutbar.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
186. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 21:40 Dades

RollinThundr wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 16:32:
What arguments are those? I've consistantly said the same thing in nearly every post when it comes to politics. Stop spending so much money.

Which subsections of the proposed budget did you take issue with?
Obamacare is not an acceptable answer, its a news soundbite that is used on the uninformed and easily influenced. Sections, lines and numbers of the budget you are criticizing. You are so concerned with how government money is spent, I'm assuming you did some research into it instead of just getting vague talking points from the news to regurgitate. Which budget? Fiscal 2013? 2014? Did you compare historicals?

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Patched
12. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Patched Nov 2, 2012, 23:17 Dades

I haven't played in a few weeks but my mod list looks like:

Skyrim Perk Enhancements & Rebalanced Gameplay - subtle but great perk/gameplay overhaul, goes well with ASIS, much better than ACE to me.

Immersive Armors - bunch of lore appropriate armor for everything from guards to bandits

WATER - makes water look and flow much better

Skyrim Flora Overhaul - better plants/trees

Cloaks of Skyrim - great mod, adds regional specific and unique collectable cloaks with enchantments

Static Mesh Improvement Mod - improves the little things quite a bit

The Asteria - floating dwemer ship for a home

Dance of Death - killmove mod, must have

Alternate Start Live Another Life - changes the crappy Skyrim intro into a choose your own adventure style beginning, awesome for replays

Interesting NPCs - adds some new voiced and text only NPCs to flesh out many locations in the game

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 1, 2012, 07:33 Dades

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 22:27:
This works as well, and is free. http://tunlr.net/

No it doesn't work for Netflix anymore. They removed support for it.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 07:32 Dades

Rigs wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 07:13:
I can see the uproar over the whole journalistic integrity thing involving reviews, but I don't understand the disdain of 'game journalists' promoting games they like. Like the picture he talks about with the guy sitting next to a table of Doritos, Mtn Dew and Halo4. So what? Why can beloved sports stars get millions for promoting and marketing but gamers can't? Yes, I understand the conflict of interest it would cause during a review. So just don't have that guy review the game. Simple. If it's clear someone is a fanboy of a certain game, find someone else to review it. I'm a non-apologetic HALO fanatic but could I be objective in a review of Halo4? Probably not. Obviously if MS gave me $10,000, a new 360 with HALO4, a lifetime supply of Doritos and Mtn Dew (I could only wish! ), I wouldn't expect to be taken seriously in a review of said game. But what's wrong with liking the game your reviewing? Or did I miss the point?

=-Rigs-=

Read up on the topic. All of the points where you said "so what?" or "I dont get it" are where this idiot had a major conflict of interest and chose to lie or obscure it instead of disclosing then tried to hide it from the internet with a patently bullshit libel suit.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 31, 2012, 21:39 Dades

Bhruic wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 20:11:
Wallshadows wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 19:33:
Is it just the Canadian version which has terrible selection or is this what I can expect as the 'norm'?

Pretty much just the Canadian version. I had the same experience. There's lots of stuff that I could search for and would show up, but then wasn't visible in Canada.

There's some proxies you can use to fake being in the US that'll give you a larger selection, but I'm not sure it's worth it for the one month trial.

My friends swear by unblock-us, its not a real proxy, just a dns redirection for their content servers. The US streaming content is incredible compared to how shitty the canadian one is, something like 100 times the content.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Oct 31, 2012, 21:10 Dades

Prez wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 20:09:
Lauren is a pathetic cretin who should never make a dime off the industry again. Eurogamer shouldn't have caved; I have read repeatedly that her claims would have not held up in UK court. As an aside, her employer only denied that they made any legal threats in their statement; they never denied she did.

Also, bravo to Atkinson for so eloquently stating why the UK law is so mind-numbingly stupid and evil.

She's a craven marketing flunkie who feels entitled to swag and glibly plumbs the depths of the communities using her internet girl gamer status. She is everything wrong with marketing and gaming press.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V in Spring
19. Re: Grand Theft Auto V in Spring Oct 30, 2012, 22:39 Dades

No way I'm playing a console version, PC or bust. In this economy with the current state of consoles they can't afford to pull another Red Dead Redemption.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 28, 2012, 21:53 Dades

Netflix being bought by Microsoft is about the worst possible thing that could happen to the company. Xbox 360 exclusive!  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 28, 2012, 21:52 Dades

8900 pieces of trash on launch day, only 900,000 more to catch Android and Apple.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 27, 2012, 13:14 Dades

Metro is trash, totally bullshit with a keyboard and mouse. When people say oh I dont mind it after all because it reboots 3 seconds faster I just have to laugh. All of the stuff you like about it was already in Windows 7 except for a few incredibly minor visual improvements to task manager. The only thing that makes Metro start palatable is installing a third party app to disable it entirely, what a joke. I think expectations are just set so low that if it doesn't nuke your hard drive contents people feel its ok.

Where was that clown who kept saying how great storage spaces was? Obviously some idiot who claims to know software and hardware but doesn't know shit. Windows 8 storage spaces is a fucking disgrace. It does block-level RAID-like garbage. Make a 'pool' and your files get spread between all your hard drives in 256MB blocks.. so recovery from any one drive is totally impossible. Parity is slow as piss so that is unusable, speeds lower than fucking USB1 interfaces. No re-balancing. Just fucking worthless trash.

Windows 8 - almost as good as Windows 7

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 25, 2012, 07:28 Dades

20 second video ads in the Solitaire Suite as of yesterdays update. This is Microsofts vision of the Windows 8 future. Ads in the weather app. Soon I'm sure even the desktop app will get widget ads. This is unspinnable even by the worlds biggest shillmaster. Video ads are the most intrusive, fucking annoying thing in the world and they won't stop in the gaming apps as they've shown already.

Maybe their plan is to make such horrible default apps loaded with bullshit ads that the community is forced to make better apps, assuming there is a community at all.

News Comments > RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming
8. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 24, 2012, 22:28 Dades

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 22:06:
Does anybody actually uninstall games these days? I've got over 550 games on Steam and I keep them all installed - that includes RAGE. I have 40Mbit broadband and I'd still rather not have to wait the twenty minutes it takes to download most games when I could just keep them installed.

Of course people uninstall games, doing so safely while retaining the ability to get them again later on is a big reason why digital services are so successful. Many people do not buy terabyte disks in bulk just to keep some old games around.

News Comments > RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming
4. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 24, 2012, 22:03 Dades

The mod tools won't make any difference at this point, the few people who did care probably got tired of the lies and moved on. It was coming at release, then a few weeks after, then no word at all for months and now Real Soon.

2597 Comments. 130 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo