Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Blah D Blah

Real Name Blah D Blah   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dades
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 16, 2008, 12:22
Total Comments 2597 (Senior)
User ID 54452

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars
51. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 18:18 Dades

Has this guy done anything since then that warrants this level of faith and hopefulness? I haven't kept track.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 19, 2012, 18:16 Dades

Consoles can't even get next gen specs right Rolleyes

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 18:07 Dades

Ozmodan wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 17:44:
Seems to me a lot of sour grapes. If people are willing to pay for what they get, why complain? My kids love the new game, well worth the changes.

It means I get less FPS games I like and there are more FPS games like Call of Duty. It might be the market speaking but the market sucks and I'm going to say that even if someone has children who like it.

by definition it is beyond reproach because the person is enjoying it and isn't hurting another soul in the process.

That could apply to everything, including complaining about Call of Duty.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2012, 03:13 Dades

ChandlerL wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 02:20:
The baker's union just made the decision for 18,000 people-- most of whom were not part of that union.

Unions began life as a beacon of hope for an industrializing young nation. However most haven't been a mouthpiece for the worker in some time and is no better, hell often worse, than the businesses they try to vilify.

The union is the one being vilified here and they did the only possible thing they could. The severity of the latest concession that Hostess asked for would have put many of the bakers near the poverty line. The union doesn't collect any dues from members of a defunct company, if there was another option they would have taken it but Hostess didn't give any ground. The workers had already given major concessions while the executives actually gave themselves huge salary bumps and bonuses while the company struggled. But please don't let facts get in the way of a union rant probably brought on by misconceptions in the media who are owned by corporations who hate unions.

News Comments > Croteam on Windows 8 Issues
77. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 18, 2012, 00:11 Dades

FloodAnxiety wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 21:17:
Game devs should not feel threatened by the windows 8 app store. They can still sell their desktop games the same way as they used to. They are only worried because if users start to gravitate to the app store they may stop purchasing desktop apps from other channels. If that does happen then that will only validate the direction they are going with the app store.

They could invalidate all of the concerns by letting people load their own apps. Why won't they let people do that? It does not compromise the integrity of their store and there is no reason other than potential lock in. I hear a lot of people willing to be optimistic here but not a single one of them has a decent answer for that.

The certification process is a necessary evil to ensure that end user gets a good quality experience from these apps.

No it isn't and it does not ensure one, see the many poor rated apps on any store.

As for the desktop experience in Windows 8; I don't miss the start button at all. Instead of having a roughly 50x50 hot spot for the mouse to click on, there is a 4x4 hot spot right in the corner. I know where the start button is, I don't need the wasted pixels on my taskbar to show the Windows Logo. Not that I use it much anyways, since the Windows key on the keyboard has always opened the start menu and still has the same function.

Hot corners are completely unintuitive, they have been attempted in user interfaces for decades and are a failed concept. It is no surprise they are one of the most maligned part of the metro experience. The start button is familiar and that's why microsoft has hijacked it for metro, a launching pad is something users need.

- The app can utilize more resources. All apps are required to properly support suspending and the possibility that the OS can terminate the app when it is not running. This means that an app store game can be a resource hog, and other open apps that are not running will get terminated if your app requires the resources used by that app.

Actually there are many, many restrictions on how apps can operate in WinRT including resource allocation. I'm also a bit incredulous that anyone would suggest app suspension is somehow a benefit to desktop users where power and resources aren't a large concern. There is some irony in that Windows gained its popularity for multitasking and is now in fact moving backwards in that regard. Metro apps also severely hamper display of information and interaction with multitasking due to the extremely low number of apps that can be run at the same time (2) and what sizes they can be shown in.

51. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 17, 2012, 20:24 Dades

DDI wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 20:02:
So much crazy in here. Windows Desktop environment will not go away for a long time. Even Windows RT still has the desktop environment. The new Start Menu is far faster to navigate than the old one, even with a mouse. There is a shit ton of data to back it up.

The new start menu has been almost universally panned by desktop users because of its design deficiencies when operated by a keyboard and mouse. People have resorted to shortcuts to work around the tablet concessions or disabled it entirely.

DADES loves to spread the FUD. You can run the same exact certification tests before you submit the app so you aren't wasting time waiting for feedback. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694081.aspx The price for an individual to publish apps to the store (which you do not need to install your own apps) is $50 a year. Big fucking deal. If can't swing the $50 then make it a desktop app and get a real fucking job that gives lets you earn more than $50 a year. Apple is $100 year. Microsoft's 30% cut goes down to 20% once your app hits 25k of revenue, unlike Google or Apple where its 30% indefinitely.

My company is working on Windows 8 apps so I have no idea why you think I care about spreading FUD. I said the trace feedbacks (memory dumps) from users, not talking about initial submission. It is not free to develop an application, no one said it cost a fortune but its more than the existing standard of zero. That revenue portion is only until the end of 2013.

I don't run Windows 8 and don't know if I will but I still think a lot of the hype from the likes of Croteam and Valve is based on pure speculation and not evidence.

There's nothing speculative about it, they're commenting about the existing restrictions. It's all laid out in the store and certification guidelines. Their main concern is that if you don't want to use the store or microsoft refuses to accept your app for some reason, there is no other way to deliver a "Metro" app to users without running an enterprise version of Windows 8.

News Comments > etc.
33. Re: etc. Nov 17, 2012, 20:06 Dades

Sepharo wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 18:15:
No it just means that they don't vote like a single mindless mass.

This.

When you're talking about the blame game, all I've heard for the past 4 years is how the entire global economy melt down is all Bush's fault and the last 2 years how it's all congress' fault. I have not once seen a single democrat take any ounce of responsibility. And that is flat out dishonest. You have a democratic president and senate who have yet to manage to pass a budget for the past 4 years and all I hear from your side is that it's the GOP or Bush's fault.

It is congresses fault, its literally their job to pass a budget. Talking about democrats as if they are other people isn't going to get you anywhere either. I'm sure many democrats will take responsibility for their role but will you? The election is over, it's time to start getting the country back on track. Going to sit around and bitch or help get things going? It starts with everyone, you talking to your rep and it keeps going up.

47. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 17, 2012, 19:44 Dades

DangerDog wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 19:29:
They're referring to "metro" apps which can only be acquired from the microsoft app store, WinRT is the lame version of Windows 8 that only runs on an ARM processor.

No, that's Windows RT, the stupid ARM only operating system. WinRT is the development platform for all Metro apps, x86, x64 and ARM. Yes it's confusing as hell because microsoft is stupid.

What, did you think MS was going to offer the app store and certification free

Certification is free but costly and time inefficient for the developer. You need to buy a license to even submit content to the store. The user and log tracking is pitiful too. Stack traces are taking 7 days to be received for my companys app submission, it's ridiculous. They take a hefty cut of each sale just like the apple store and just like the apple store you can't load your own apps.

People give Android shit but they're the only ones who don't have their heads up their asses about a truly open platform. If you don't like the play store you can load your own apps manually or even use a custom store.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 2012, 19:55.

27. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 17, 2012, 17:05 Dades

bigspender wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 16:52:
so whats the big deal? make your game anyway you want, and then release a separate tiled application to act as a live shortcut if you so want.

I doubt it would pass certification.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2012, 15:01 Dades

MajorD wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 14:32:
This is a real shame.

I have heard & read more stories of business having to shutdown due to union strikes. So, in the middle of a recession, with unemployment at an all time high, they'll go on strike for more money and better benefits, which the companies simply can not afford as it is, because they are barely sustaining in the current state of the economy, and will eventually lead to the companies having to shutdown their operations. So what have they gained? //Shakes headů.

Unions 'might' still have their place in various sectors, but definitely not all anymore. In this day and age they aren't as isolated as they once were, and have definitely become more volatile.

That's what happens with some unions but many corporations know that public apathy towards unions is at an all time high and use that to their advantage. That's not what happened to Hostess anyway, they asked the unions to take a third major concession in 5 years and many of the workers voted against it because they could not afford to take another pay cut. These guys were not auto workers without a high school education making 80k, demanding raises.

There are a lot of markets that have working conditions that practically require unions to avoid corporate abuse but thanks to global trade many companies know they can get chinese workers to do it without that concern.

14. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 17, 2012, 14:43 Dades

Prez wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 14:40:
One cannot release a tiled UI application by any other means, but only through Windows Store!

How many times have I heard this would not be the case by people here pitching Windows 8 as the greatest thing since sliced bread? No way in hell I'm buying Windows 8, or any other Windows OS ever if this is where they are headed. Time to start learning Linux.

The microsoft buttboys use the excuse that you can just keep using the desktop applications, as if those are bulletproof in a market where microsoft could get 30%+ revenue instead of 0%. There is no financial incentive for microsoft to keep supporting them in the long term. I have no problem seeing a future DirectX be exclusive to Metro apps or require some sort of Metro compatibility layer. Microsoft is indifferent and sometimes even hostile to pc gaming, they even use the Xbox brand names for pc gaming shit now.

11. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 17, 2012, 14:36 Dades

DrSquick wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 14:31:
I don't get what all the hoopla is about, I only look at the start menu for a couple seconds; I dragged all my important apps to the left side, so I hit the windows key, and click the app I want, then the metro interface goes away. I'm guessing this is about people who want to make fullscreen metro games?

WinRT developed apps are what he was referring to. They can only be obtained from the microsofts shitty store, you cannot install them any other way. The big deal is that microsoft is forcing themselves into a 30% cut from game developers revenues. They are also forcing developers into certification.

It is inexcusable, I doubt even the biggest microsoft buttboys around here would defend the inability of a user to install their own applications. That's a pretty basic concept and one that the PC was founded on, I don't need microsoft or apple acting like the system administration of my machine. The best way devs can fight it is to ignore microsofts store platform and think about alternatives.

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: etc. Nov 17, 2012, 09:52 Dades

No one said the democrats are perfect but they have a plan for the country that doesn't consist of trying to remove women's rights, keeping America white and giving a ridiculous tax break to the already filthy rich. The democrats can be held accountable for their mistakes but only if republicans stop making complete asses out of themselves in the news and work with them politically so that they can make their own bed.

They're too busy with the self pity and the blame game to understand that there is something fundamentally wrong with the republican party that needs to be fixed before the public believes they can govern responsibly.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P
51. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 17, 2012, 02:32 Dades

D_K_night wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 01:27:
OK guys.

If they gave you everything in the game, no restrictions, no difference between you and the guy with a sub...why would ANYONE sub, then? Why wouldn't everyone just play for free?

Some of you are just plain asking for too much. The intent of F2P, is to show "ok, here's our game. You can do MOST things without paying a dime. but if you want the very best experience, pay up". How is that unfair? Conversely, if I'm a paying customer, why should the fella beside me, who's playing for free, get access to everything that I do, free of charge?

Honestly what if all they did, was level cap to 20, but enabled everything else. Would that make you guys happier? Sheesh.

Read the thread. They could have come up with a better business model than "pay for purpz". FREE GAME doesn't mean anything, there are many free games on the market and it's not a charity so stop acting like they're doing people a favor. People aren't complaining that they don't like the FREE CONTENT, they don't like the business model and implementation.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Nov 16, 2012, 23:09 Dades

Just wait a few days and you buy THQ itself for that price.

DADES

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 16, 2012, 23:06 Dades

Introducing Netflix Groceries

DADES

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2012, 21:21 Dades

1badmf wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 18:38:
the stupidity of unions to the nth degree - rather than accept reduced benefits and heed the warning of the company, they wouldn't give an inch and now 18,000 workers have no jobs to go back to. as a teamster i know this firsthand - a bunch of fools led by talentless egomaniacs. they have their purpose but that's been long lost by the greed and nepotism of the leadership.

It's not that simple. All of the union bashing is convenient but off base, they were not holding Hostess up with a gun. They have given major concessions twice in the past five years, reducing many workers salaries by 30-40% and reducing their benefits. Hostess came back again and asked for huge concessions that would put some workers at the poverty line. These guys were not auto workers making 75k.

Unions can get up to some pretty stupid things but Hostess is equally to blame for this situation, they asked and receive major concessions already in the past and still mismanaged the company into bankruptcy.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P
31. Re: SWTOR Nov 16, 2012, 14:27 Dades

D_K_night wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 12:28:
well looking at the comparison chart here:

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

You can see that with the F2P version...if you just want to play the game for the campaign...you can. Mousing over the greyed-out features shows they're not totally disabled - they're still usable.

honestly guys even with all the F2P "restrictions"(which really, they're more like debuffs), you can still complete the game from beginning to end, you can still play flashpoints...it's a complete game honestly.

That chart seems a like big list of CANT DO, I wouldn't be hopping to link that to people as proof how great the F2P model is. MMOs these days are all about the convenience factors, all of the little things add up to an incredible amount of time. I don't care if I can "play the whole game" if it is an annoying pain in the ass to do so.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Mister Torgue DLC Next Week; More Details
13. Re: Borderlands 2 Mister Torgue DLC Next Week; More Details Nov 16, 2012, 14:22 Dades

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 13:37:
Gee golly whiz, guys, it sure took me an awful long time to read the article past where Blue copy-pasted and learn the answers to such questions...

The article doesn't make it sound much better than initial thoughts and you sure seem to love this game.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Mister Torgue DLC Next Week; More Details
4. Re: Borderlands 2 Mister Torgue DLC Next Week; More Details Nov 16, 2012, 11:02 Dades

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 10:58:
Sounds like it's mostly a monster-arena style thing?

Creston

So it's the shitty DLC from the first game that everyone hated without a big stash to force people to get it? No wonder they can turn this out so quickly. Enclosed arenas are the lamest form of DLC no matter who makes them, why repeat past mistakes?

2597 Comments. 130 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo