Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Blah D Blah

Real Name Blah D Blah   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dades
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 16, 2008, 12:22
Total Comments 2597 (Senior)
User ID 54452

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
49. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 22:52 Dades

After seeing tons of recommendations here i finally read some Joe Abercrombie books and I have to say they are a breath of fresh air in a stale fantasy genre. The First Law trilogy was a delightfully malign twist on the LOTR crap. I'm not a big fan of scifi but like Cutter said Roger Zelazny was a gifted author.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers
57. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 19, 2012, 22:45 Dades

Maybe its just the people playing but I thought that looked awfully boring. Got the game for $5 a few months ago and its been a real stinker in this household. What happened to you iD?

I wonder if Bethesda will just absorb the employees into other studios in the company, probably for the best. Imagine the Fallout or Skyrim guys with some FPS devs and real animators.

News Comments > Diablo III Bot Bans
11. Re: Diablo III Bot Bans Dec 19, 2012, 07:01 Dades

To think Blizzard has fallen so far..

News Comments > EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM
58. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 19, 2012, 07:00 Dades

Bhruic wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 06:26:
I'm not sure why you are arguing this one, it's pretty clear that their entire design decisions were based around the idea of interactive zones.

I don't buy it, what came first, the chicken or the DRM? I suspect the DRM came first then the design decisions as a result of their limitations.

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 18, 2012, 22:42 Dades

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 22:09:
Seriously, why all the mind numbingly stupid hate?

I wouldn't be throwing around a really tame 79 metacritic rating as evidence of anything. With the poor sales and word of mouth surrounding this game you should consider yourself lucky to get DLC at all. Why all of the mind numbing fanboy defense? You don't seem willing to acknowledge any of the games flaws so your opinion holds as little weight as anyone else.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2012, 22:48.

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 18, 2012, 19:49 Dades

pagb wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 19:40:
At least I enjoy Rage over the sheer borefest that is Borderlands... I got the 2nd one free with my new videocard, and it still was expensive.

I'm far from a fan of BL but it has far more depth and character than Rage which is saying something considering how shallow BL is. You might like Rage and taste is personal but for all I know you like Justin Bieber too so I don't put much stock in other peoples opinions.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2012, 19:46 Dades

It's like Black Friday but with less violence.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
93. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 19:41 Dades

siapnar wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 18:02:
I had that exact PSU do weird things on me recently. It wouldnt boot my new machine (similar to yours) properly, so I upgraded to a Seasonic.
If you find some strange things happening with your PC, test it with different PSU before anything else and see if that OCZ is the culprit.

Yep they're cheap FSP and Sirtec shit sold with an OCZ tag. Makes you wonder why they bought PC & Power and Cooling, no surprise that brand is being run into the ground.

52. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 19:39 Dades

EverythingISayIsRight wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 18:23:
Remember when MW2 came out and people 'boycotted' it? This will be no different.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/11/1258035395841.jpg

That's a really stupid jpeg of a single page of the most popular franchise in the world and indicative of nothing, troll harder moron.

37. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 15:04 Dades

It's not about what EA wants, I don't give a shit if they want every game to be social or not. If they want to sell me a game then it's about what I want. I don't need to spend my money on EA games, I can happily spend it somewhere else. No sale.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
67. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 23:00 Dades

siapnar wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 18:50:
All this talk about SSD, what do you guys think of hybrid SSD?
I bought a Seagate Momentus XT 500gb for like 90 bucks and it seems to perform just like an SSD apart from data transfer.
I think it's a good trade off considering the price, as well

They used to have a price niche but these days they are just really mediocre overall. The prices on real SSDs are so low that it removes the only real attraction to one of those hybrid things. People who want the extra storage won't be impressed with the slow sustained transfer rates and the performance out of cache is awful.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
7. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 16, 2012, 16:24 Dades

El Pit wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 14:36:
The markets will prove that Smellfinger is right. E-readers are the dinosaurs of the portable computer market, simply not versatile enough.

They don't need to be versatile, reading (more casual, magazine style reading) is a specialized activity that doesn't lend itself well to tablets and smartphones. They don't need to be profitable themselves either, the whole business model is driven by the content sales. They aren't going to be a massive growth market as there is a lot of competition but there is no reason ereaders need to be supplanted by tablets which will do a worse job in every way.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2012, 14:26 Dades

The reliability of FiOS VOIP will be fine, your ONT will have a battery backup for short term power loss and Verizon has nation-wide redundant peering. Your phone calls will display on your TV if you stick to their gear. Congratulations, it's a hell of an internet connection and Verizon doesn't compress the shit out of their HD channels like Charter. You can host a bunch of Quake and Team Fortress 2 servers on that connection, it's that good.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 16, 2012, 14:15 Dades

Tablets are poor ereaders in many reading environments and have worse battery life so no, they will not kill off ereaders for a long time. They just won't be a profitable market and like books might become an accepted principal commodity.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2012, 14:21.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 16, 2012, 00:12 Dades

I went back to Firefox this year and I have to admit it improved a lot. Of course thats after it went down the crapper for no reason so maybe we're just back at even keel now.

37. Re: This Dec 16, 2012, 00:05 Dades

Prez wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 15:28:
That's all I am going to say about this because of course I will be called wrong by all of the internet know-it-alls who find things like this an opportunity to prove how brilliant they are (and maybe push an agenda or two) instead of showing a fucking shred of humanity.

Or maybe some of those people have a point that media attention does not explain all mass shootings and that it is impossible to stop world wide media coverage in this day and age. The way news is created and propogated negates the idea. It is literally impossible to the point where it is a waste of time even trying to implement something like it. News now spreads faster than humans can actually create it, think about that for a moment before responding. Anyone can have their 15 minutes of fame, that's the day and age we live in.

There probably is no solution in a world where a sick person can obtain a firearm and has intent to harm others. It is a large world with many different types of people, we don't like to admit it but tragedies are an unfortunate statistical anomaly if look at it in a big picture way. It sucks but so does the world. We love to think we can fix everything but the only real way to do that is through stricter controls and better societal support mechanisms that most people in North America do not want except in these rare post-tragedy moments.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 23:54 Dades

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 23:45:
A study was done and these mall/school shootings are happening because the media is making a big deal about it. Quit putting their face on TV and people will quit doing it to be famous.

I've never heard of such a study and googling it comes up with nothing, which one are you referring to? I did hear a doctor say that on TV once but it was just supposition, it's not a subject that is easily studied as you can't trial it in any meaningful way.

I think the simpler answer is that a lot of people are just fucked up and attention or not they will do fucked up things. It is impossible to tame the media anyway, we're in an age where information is instantly accessible worldwide, might as well try to stop the sun from rising.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 23:06 Dades

Prez wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 21:41:
You said yourself that a motivated person will find a tool with which to kill. What difference does it make what the object was "designed for"?

One is more effective than the other. A knife has purposes other than competition or death, a gun does not. A maniac with a knife will likely be stopped before he murders 20 people singlehandedly, the same assumption can't be made about a gun wielding individual. I am pro-gun, shoot competitively and I hate nanny state shit but there are simply way too many guns in America, there is no other way to put it. Legitimate, black market, whatever, too many guns in the hands of people who make a rash decision, have a shitty upbringing, go through a divorce or just hate someone else. Guns + Emotions = death.

There is no magical solution to the problem and I hate how the anti-gun pundits pop out of the woodwork every time this happens but we need to start somewhere. Other countries have less guns and more sensible gun control. They also have less people shooting each other. I don't think it's a coincidence.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 19:31 Dades

Bodolza wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 18:27:
Here's a perfectly boring, yet plausible explanation: Bruce finds a phone. He calls collect to one of his millionaire buddies in the area. His friend hooks him up with a private plane to the closest airport to Gotham. No passpord required, and he's there by nightfall. He rents a dry suit and snorkels across the river. Shouldn't be too hard for one guy to sneak in at night. The next morning he's in Gotham.

There you go. Perfectly plausible. No handwaving required, and took me about 30 seconds to think up.

I've still have yet to see anyone give an example of an actual plot hole in this movie. Something completely out of character or unexplainable (like Kirk running into Spock in a cavern on some random planet.)

I get what you're saying, they aren't huge logical flaws in the plot but they aren't minor gaps either. The audience can make small leaps in service to the plot but some went against established parts of the movie. They made a special effort to show how impregnable and inescapable Gotham City was. They deprived Batman of all resources and dumped him in a desert. The audience is supposed to have some imagination to fill in small gaps, not fill in incongruent chunks of the story. Some of you are being too harsh on the movie but the writing had a lot of flaws.

It wasn't bad, but there were some things that just irked me the wrong way. The 'leap of faith', Bruce being dead, the mansion being turned into an orphanage, Robin (to a degree). I get it that Nolan didn't want to do another Batman movie, but at the same time it really feels like it was 'sabotaged' so that it couldn't continue due to it.

This is what I thought too but I've only watched it once, I'll have to see how it lives through a second viewing.

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
4. Re: Evening Screenshots Dec 12, 2012, 07:09 Dades

Cutter wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 23:44:
Another butt fugly console title. Too bad because I do love a good pulse rifle.

Many years of that ahead, the new consoles look to be really under specced if the Wii U is any indication.

2597 Comments. 130 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo