Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Blah D Blah

Real Name Blah D Blah   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dades
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 16, 2008, 12:22
Total Comments 2597 (Senior)
User ID 54452

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
18. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 27, 2012, 16:39 Dades

Author was spot on, hypocrisy abounds there. Human decency? First world problems.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: 3D film making Dec 27, 2012, 11:55 Dades

Quboid wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 11:06:
Creston wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 10:23:
Let's fucking hope so.

Creston

I like 3D films, it's the related things I dislike.

No one does anything interesting with 3D. I've seen two films that used decent depth perception techniques and that's it. I'm not even convinced there is anywhere to go with it, creating realistic 3D simulations seems far too labor intensive to be anything but a niche. Right now it's an industry bereft of any creative goals, purely a financial boondoggle for Hollywood.

News Comments > Christmas Metaverse
32. Re: Christmas Metaverse Dec 26, 2012, 20:10 Dades

noman wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 13:20:
I think, the main issue is that once again offline mode didn't work consistently across the broader set of Steam users. Rare connection issues are in some cases expected, and Valve did fix the issue reasonably quickly. However, offline mode should always work.

They fixed this almost 8 months ago, offline mode works perfectly now and doesn't require you to be connected or set manually. Pull your ethernet cable and see for yourself.

News Comments > Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg
90. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 17:05 Dades

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 16:23:
Here is one example (Ubisoft not EA) why always online DRM such a great idea for single player games: http://tinyurl.com/c3fod6q
You may think people on Blues over reacting but I think for a good reason.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Games are buggy enough without connection crap in the mix. If EA wants to make an MMO then actually make one but everyone knows this is just their attempt to force an ongoing revenue model down our throats without actually having to provide the kind of ongoing support and meaningful content an MMO requires.

89. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 23, 2012, 17:01 Dades

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 16:25:
And I bet most that use the same things "in-flight", "military", these don't even affect them

It potentially affects anyone who has an internet connection and wants to buy the game. No one is trying to prove anything to you, they are interacting with Maxis and EA. We heard you the first 10 times, you don't care, go buy it then. Other people have different concerns from you and don't want to give up so easily on their favorite games.

85. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 23, 2012, 14:39 Dades

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 13:07:
I still stick with the reality, we know what this game is requiring of us, sure we can talk against it, but add it all up and decide for yourself. To me this always online thing doesn't resonate because I do play mmo style games that require always online and next to no one complains about it.

Your reality isn't the same as everyone else, people posted several different examples you have ignored. It doesn't need to "hit home" with you, who says you need to be convinced for it to be valid? It's valid for the people who have created this shitstorm of bad PR for EA. There is no design rationale that explains the behavior of this game. Your MMO example sucks, of course people playing an online game that requires a persistent connection for its actual gameplay don't bitch about it being an online game, apples to oranges.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 09:31 Dades

Use a skin moisturizer, I have the same problem in winter with my skin cracking and it works wonders. The problem with moving closer to the equator is that the temperatures tend to be unrelenting, at least in MN you get seasonal change. For some people that's good, a lot of people get headaches due to barometric changes but for other people that's bad, if you sweat a lot or have a ton of body hair for example. Florida isn't a dry heat, it can get very sticky and unpleasant at times. Also I hope you know spanish, it's quickly becoming a first language there despite the efforts of crackpot right wing racists to cling on.

77. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 09:01 Dades

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 06:33:
The reason I don't consider it the same situation as D3 is really, this is EA trying to deter pirates, where as the only reason D3 was online only was Blizzard wanting to push everyone towards their real money AH.

No as it was explained to you several times already, that's not the only reason they are doing it. That's the same thing as saying blizzard only did it for pirates.

66. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 00:49 Dades

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 00:43:
People hate EA because they're EA. Plain and simple.

No people hate EA when they do shitty things like this. They don't just hate them for no reason, EA does dumb shit to earn it. Plain and simple.

Funny how offline mode was a big deal when it was Blizzard but suddenly doesn't matter now. BN posters didn't cause this, reddit posters did and they were so many that EA felt obligated to respond so it isn't a small vocal minority.

62. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 00:19 Dades

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 23:59:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 23:49:
RollinThundr wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 19:58:
Yet you all have no problem buying hundreds of titles on Steam only to be always online to play them. Look I get it for those who travel alot, or military who don't have an always on connection. But that's like a 1% of less minority of most PC gamers. It's no where near the issue some of you are making it out to be.

LOL, typical winger. Disregards facts, or doesn't bother to learn them, instead saying what feels "right." Don't go away Thundr, we love you man.

Fact of the matter is, if it was another publisher behind the game most of you prolly wouldn't give a shit. I get it, it's popular to hate EA for any reason.

Fact of the matter is that you hated on Blizzard for months for the same reason and are trying to dodge the hypocrisy. Your argument to the contrary involving DRM with online services has already been debunked. Most online services have an offline mode or don't require a consistent connection, just a polling one.

People don't hate EA for any reason, they hate EA because they do this kind of shit to games. Do people need to draw it with crayons for you?

58. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 22, 2012, 23:25 Dades

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 23:14:
EA can burn for I'll I care, the thing is they are being transparent months in advance.

They have to be transparent, can't exactly hide these things from the press and public. They don't get points for answering questions from the press and making up excuses why they inserted a draconian form of DRM into the game. Leaderboards, wow how could they have accomplished such a wonder without a persistent connection?! The quality of the game looks like its suffering from both the DRM and a desire of EA to dumb it down for a wider audience.

56. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 21:53 Dades

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 19:58:
Yet you all have no problem buying hundreds of titles on Steam only to be always online to play them.

Yet you were the one bitching about D3 and still ended up buying it don't talk to anyone else about being a hypocrite. Your example sucks too, Steam has a working offline mode, this will not. People can buy games on most digital services and still play them offline, the difference is pretty important.

If one has all these concerns, then don't buy it. I can't believe Sim Games plays a passionate role here at Blue's and face it this is EA just being EA. At least they are upfront about it, I suppose.

Ugh enough with the EA defense already. The AMA was on Reddit, not Bluesnews. You might not like to face it but it seems like its a pretty popular issue to the point where EA is trying to deflate it. People like Simcity, its a popular PC classic, they want to buy the game but EA is doing their best to dissuade them.

41. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 22, 2012, 16:26 Dades

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 13:17:
It does sound like it can be single player only, just that you still need to be online, thus back to the DRM phobia. I get that it's not ideal, but I really believe very few really struggle being online consistently.

People who travel frequently for their job. People in the military. People who just want the choice because the implementation makes no sense. People who don't want features that are inherently negative to the user experience with little upside. People who don't want EA to be able to sunset the game at their will. If any of the above sounds like a phobia then you don't have a grasp on the discussion. Use your imagination, this isn't difficult stuff.

If the implementation can be toggled off at will then the connection requirement itself makes no sense.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
8. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 22, 2012, 15:20 Dades

PHJF wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 12:43:
How are landline broadband caps such a red flag when the entire cellphone industry is based around data caps? Is wireless data really so much more precious than wired?

Wireless data is incredibly expensive. You license spectrum which is itself very expensive. The infrastructure needs constant maintenance by highly qualified staff. You need costly permits for local municipalities and to rent the space from local businesses or whoever is leasing the space where you need to drop a site. Your insurance costs are 2-3 times higher than a wireline business. The equipment needed is sold at enterprise rates. On top of that you have all of the expenses of your average ISP.

All things considered, wireless data is actually cheap in some respects.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale
97. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 23:27 Dades

nin wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 23:20:
How do I invite someone? I go to Play It Forward (2011 xmas), click Invite Friends, select someone, but then when I hit "Invite selected to group" PLay it Forward isn't one of the options (I have Blues, Summer Camp and Holiday Sale Community Group).

Edit: If I go to their page and hit "Invite to join your group" my only options are Blue's and Summer Camp.

edit again: I could finally add them, but only through the pop up friends window.

They seem to be using the 2012 group Dev and Verno linked earlier, I'm going to join it now and give some games away.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 20, 2012, 07:08 Dades

Beamer wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 07:01:
So you want Microsoft to artificially make the OS more bloated so that people have to buy new computers?

That's what you just asked for.

That's clearly what I meant, you sure puzzled it out genius.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 19, 2012, 23:31 Dades

PCs are at critical mass and why should people keep upgrading? Their old shit still runs all of the current software. The market is healthy but they just aren't giving people a reason to get new hardware. New versions of Windows champion how much better they run on lower hardware and Microsoft just wants to make dinky IOS style apps so it can pretend its going to be relevant in the future. It's not a hardware problem, its a software problem.

News Comments > EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM
71. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 19, 2012, 23:27 Dades

EA won't shut down servers?! Hah get the fuck out of here with that bullshit. Frank Gibeau would boot his own mother from the servers if it meant he could sell her the next year version with updated decals.

News Comments > Steam Stops Selling The War Z
58. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 23:24 Dades

Judging by the volume of complaints about bugs in War Z and its much smaller scale, I think I'd rather get Day Z if I was going to choose between them.

News Comments > RAGE DLC Next Week
64. Re: RAGE DLC Next Week Dec 19, 2012, 23:21 Dades

Verno wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 23:04:
In the end its all moot, Rage ultimately underperformed according to Bethesda and id and we will likely never see a followup. Hopefully they will one day make good on the promise to release the mod tools but in the meantime no one is telling you not to enjoy the game, just explaining why they didn't.

He's just explaining why he doesn't like their explanations so who cares.

How much did it sell anyhow? Nevermind looked it up myself, 1.47m all platforms worlwide. Bleuch. I remember alot of advertising for that game too. I bet EA is glad they passed on publishing to bethesda.

My problem with the game is that it feels like they just threw in features willy nilly without thinking if it worked in the game. The racing seemed like a good idea but they didn't go far enough with it. The collecting items is just make shift work. The travel doesn't make sense considering the size of the world. They go to the trouble of making towns but everything feels like a paper cut out, noninteractive and full of one off dialogue. Invisible walls everywhere despite constant loading between areas. I thought the guns and AI were were ok but they don't redeem the rest of the game being so bland.

I got it for $5 so I'm not mad about it but its easy to see why it failed.

2597 Comments. 130 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo