Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Blah D Blah

Real Name Blah D Blah   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dades
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 16, 2008, 12:22
Total Comments 2597 (Senior)
User ID 54452

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > More on Steam Hardware
42. Re: More on Steam Hardware Jan 10, 2013, 07:14 Dades

Same was true of Windows once. I remember devs screaming for OpenGL support in DirectX since Direct3D was so shitty. Everything starts somewhere.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout 4 Tease?
61. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 22:03 Dades

I thought New Vegas was unquestionably the better game in just about every respect except for bugs. Somehow they managed to make a Bethesda game even buggier. Sometimes I think these things just boil down to what people played first and nostalgia. Neither game will ever be as good as Fallout 2 to me but some kid playing Fallout 2 today would think I'm nuts.

40. Re: More on Steam Hardware Jan 9, 2013, 20:06 Dades

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 18:42:
Beamer wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 16:23:
The reason HTPCs haven't taken off is few people want to bother with that. They just want something that works.
If Valve designs this in a way that it just works, and I'm guessing that's how they've spent the year or two we've been speculating about this, then they will find more success than HTPCs have.

That would be one hell of a Linux conversion.

You obviously haven't used Ubuntu lately. There are even premade customized HTPC flavors of it, XBMCBuntu, OpenElec and more. What do you think Android is built on? Linux doesn't need to be complicated. Wine is a pretty decent abstraction layer these days and with a professional company porting gaming software others are bound to follow.

10. Re: More on Steam Hardware Jan 9, 2013, 07:34 Dades

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 23:35:
I'm not even sure who this is for, really. What market do they think they are appealing to? I can't think of anyone, from PC gamers to console gamers, casuals to Android indie worshipers, who isn't better served with a different product.

Helps if you try thinking about it for 10 seconds. The hardware in there could make it everything from a kickass HTPC to a living room console that has access to a massive existing library of games. The biggest barrier to the PC in the living room has been form factor and input, this combined with the ten foot interface solves both problems.

News Comments > Steam Hardware
37. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 8, 2013, 20:26 Dades

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 19:31:
3/4'ths of my family, desktop computing, one on the couch. Pc Gamers in general are a little more passionate with their pc's then the couch crowd. There are still millions of us and we pay. So the market will continue. Two boys, they started on pc's, went to consoles, I told them I'll see them back here later. Now they are 95% pc players. Another time dad was right.

I'm sure the comeback will involve telling you that this is a market niche and the masses don't do that. Those 50+ million Steam accounts aren't enough to sustain a market even though consoles do the same with similar install bases.

SteamBox looks cool, I would get one.

News Comments > Diablo III Inadvertent PvP to be Fixed
17. Re: Diablo III Inadvertent PvP to be Fixed Jan 8, 2013, 20:08 Dades

descender wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 14:52:
PVP was awesome in d2.

No, no it wasn't. It was completely unbalanced, buggy and broken. It still is. The difference was people didn't know these things mattered back then.

Sounds like Diablo 3 in general HTH.

News Comments > On Standalone DayZ DelayZ
21. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 8, 2013, 07:10 Dades

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 02:32:
WarZ was supposed to have bases.

WarZ was supposed to have many things (RPG mechanics, larger maps, large player counts) but its a pretty big failure and doesn't. I don't think anyone cares if games are influenced by DayZ as long as they do a good job of it. State of Decay looks good, WarZ is not.

News Comments > On Standalone DayZ DelayZ
16. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 7, 2013, 22:05 Dades

That State of Decay video looks nothing like typical Day Z gameplay to me. I haven't played War Z but pretty much everyone seems to think its a shitty game, I don't really care whether its a clone or not.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 7, 2013, 18:00 Dades

Their maps app is not as bad as people made it out to be

Yes it was, there was thousands of examples posted publicly. Their CEO came out and admitted it after a massive drubbing by the public and the media. It was exactly as bad as people made it out to be, no ifs ands or buts.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
17. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 7, 2013, 07:24 Dades

Just use the Windows 8 drivers, it will work.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
8. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 7, 2013, 00:10 Dades

Hellbinder wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 21:08:
Windows 8 is awesome as is a windows 8 phone I was helping someone with recently.

all the animosity people have against windows 8 makes ZERO sense.

You haven't even used Windows 8.

News Comments > THQ Sale Update
12. Re: THQ Sale Update Jan 6, 2013, 22:58 Dades

killer_roach wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 19:59:
nin wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 13:54:
People want to play their games w/o hassle. Is that wrong? Do they need to jump through hoops?

Is it too much to ask that they have an IQ above room temperature?

Is it too much to ask that the people who design GFWL have an IQ above room temperature IQ? Maybe they could spend some of their billions fixing it instead of putting out press releases about how much they love pc gamers.

I bought Dark Souls on the christmas sale to play since people rave about it. The bundled version of GFWL wouldn't work, the game crashed to desktop since it couldn't login. I had to uninstall GFWL and the Marketplace application (why are there two different applications?). Then I had to download and place a different xlive.dll into the %system32% directory by hand, then I had to reinstall GFWL. GFWL had to update. Finally I get it up and running, go to login and GFWL gives me error code that Google turns up nothing on. Finally after digging 20 minutes through a bunch of jumbled community forums I find out its because you need to login to xbox.com and accept the terms of service. Why you need to login to XBOX.COM for GAMES FOR WINDOWS is fucking beyond me. Finally I go to login and it works but Dark Souls plays in an offline mode if you don't use a GFWL online profile which I don't want to bother with so I give up and uninstall the game.

At best Games for Windows might not get in your way, at worst it completely wastes your fucking time and is basically unsupported abandonware by its parent company. It is fucking useless and should not be implemented since there are way better solutions. It is just lazy porting shit and microsoft moneybags that get it used.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2013, 23:05.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jan 6, 2013, 22:56 Dades

ItBurn wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 22:25:
I really liked alpha protocol.
People said that the controls were bad, the the aiming was broken and that the minigames sucked. I disagreed on all points. Controls were fine. The minigames were fine. The aiming was fine. As far as the aiming goes, it was tied to your skills. Bad skills, you won't aim perfectly. I guess people expected it to be an action game, but it was a rpg.

They've talked about how internally they didn't know what game it was going to be, half of the team was split between making it a hardcore RPG and the other half wanted a shooter. It turned out to be weird mix of gameplay that didn't really work that well, the game was carried by its strong writing and branching dialog trees. I thought it was ok, not really deserving of its accolades or hatred equally.

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns
60. Re: EA Server Shutdowns Jan 6, 2013, 21:48 Dades

http://i.imgur.com/NRzIH.jpg

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2013, 14:54 Dades

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 14:39:
As I stated in the Nvidia driver thread, the new drivers make the game alot more smooth, and the story just got alot more interesting after saving Oliver.

Don't worry, it gets stupid again really soon but the gameplay was always a better showcase than the story. Loved Far Cry 3, just wish the writing wasn't so disjointed.

News Comments > Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year?
7. Re: Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year? Jan 6, 2013, 14:52 Dades

Saw this on slashdot Blizzard planning a linux game. Makes sense if you think about, Blizzard wants to do what Valve is doing and go directly to the customer, Windows 8 introduced a forced middle man for casuals who use the app store.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 6, 2013, 11:26 Dades

FloodAnxiety wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 01:52:
Steam Hardware Survey for December 2012 indicates usage of Windows 8 by Steam Users is already at 6.93% and rising much faster than any other OS. For Linux, only 1.51% of Steam Users (and that's graciously including "Other" in with Ubuntu.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

The Linux client was in beta and that's a huge gain for a small period of time compared to something like Windows.

News Comments > Op Ed
42. Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2013, 10:58 Dades

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 04:18:
I read cases about welfare fraud all the time, it's higher than 2% I've no doubt. Not only that but I've known people on welfare personally who shouldn't have qualified to get it. As for PBS and NPR you have to start somewhere, why is government funding tv and radio stations anyway, with my tax dollars?

This is called denial, you think you know more than the people administrating the programs and think that it matters in any way compared to the larger deficit picture. Government funds the arts because it has a positive effect on our society as a whole and helps people who could not otherwise get assistance. The reason it funds practically anything else including infrastructure.

The Dept of Education is a joke, and an utter failure, we're falling behind in things like Math and Science because public schools are all about indoctrination at this point rather than actually teaching kids a god damn thing. I work for a local town in IT, I've spent a ton of time in and around the public school system, public schools at this point are essentially a festering pool of liberal agenda politics and not much else regardless if you're in a blue state or a red state.

Nevermind, I can see you are not worth debating with. Liberal indoctrination, yeah ok crazy person, you sure know what's going on in the world and are worth listening to.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jan 6, 2013, 02:05 Dades

Those gamesplurge reviews are really weak.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Now you see that evil will always triumph.. because good is dumb Jan 6, 2013, 01:57 Dades

Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 22:23:
Federal and state authorities have chosen not to indict HSBC, the London-based bank, on charges of vast and prolonged money laundering, for fear that criminal prosecution would topple the bank and, in the process, endanger the financial system.

It doesn't take a genius to see that the reasoning here is beyond flawed. When you decide not to prosecute bankers for billion-dollar crimes connected to drug-dealing and terrorism (some of HSBC's Saudi and Bangladeshi clients had terrorist ties, according to a Senate investigation), it doesn't protect the banking system, it does exactly the opposite. It terrifies investors and depositors everywhere, leaving them with the clear impression that even the most "reputable" banks may in fact be captured institutions whose senior executives are in the employ of (this can't be repeated often enough) murderers and terrorists. Even more shocking, the Justice Department's response to learning about all of this was to do exactly the same thing that the HSBC executives did in the first place to get themselves in trouble they took money to look the other way.

Bankers always pull that shit. Look at the big bailout in 2008. These are the guys who are all rahrah capitalism survival of the fittest when its someone else but as soon as they're in trouble they're sucking hard on the government teats and begging for more relief. They sold the politicians on the lie that the world would collapse without them. The politicians are afraid of losing power, have a lot invested (HEH HEH) with the banking industry and just go along with it. No one is jailed, banks are up to the same old shit days later. They had the nerve to give themselves fucking bonuses and the government just said hey guys please dont do that instead of yanking back every penny.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that they let a bank get away with financing the cartels. The punishment never fits the crime when you're a rich white guy.

2597 Comments. 130 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo