Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kabuto

Real Name Kabuto   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 28, 2008, 12:43
Total Comments 36 (Suspect)
User ID 54387

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Dec 4, 2010, 04:23 Kabuto

The EA Store is having a buy 2 (or more) and get 50% off sale. Their latest releases are excluded though.

Is the DA:O expansion pack worth picking up for $7.50? Does it add anything worthwhile to the game?

What about Bad Company 2, is the SP only portion worth playing?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
51. Re: Ars Technica - Buying used games Aug 27, 2010, 22:56 Kabuto

Ruffiana wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 20:42:

Movies have multiple revenue streams. If movies were only ever released on DVD direct to consumers then it would be an apt comparison, but by the time a movie reaches the home DVD ownership phase, it's already had a run in movie theaters and probably made a profit. It's been available on pay-per-view, and it's been on HBO/Showtime for a couple of months. Even after it's put onto a DVD and sold at Best Buy they can still make money from a film by licensing the rights to cable or network stations. Unlike games, movies have much more longevity. People will watch buy and a movie from decades ago.

Music has rapidly changed it's business model over the years to deal with digital format and ease of copying/distribution. Like films, a recording artist can bring in money from live venues and concerts (akin to movie theaters in being a unique, one time experience), album sales, individual track sales through iTunes, Amazon, etc...licensing of songs for use in film, television, or games. Like movies, music is ageless. People will buy music that they like and hold on to it. Unlike films or games, it takes far, far fewer people to produce a piece of music...so the financial investment and risks are much lower.

As for books, it doesn't take multi-million dollar investments and huge teams of people to create a book...so there is substantially less financial risk involved. There's also some value of a book associated with the physical good, the printed word on paper...and those goods do degrade over time. They grow musty, their spine gets broken, pages tear, print fades. Unlike a game, people are likely to hang on to a book for decades and re-read years, decades, or even centuries after they were written. Keep in mind that books in digital format is a fairly new industry, but it's already having an impact on retailers world-wide.

So while the formats of various media are similar their costs to produce and markets are radically different. Games really only have one market for making money, in a very limited time frame, and yet are still are on par with films in terms of cost to produce, market, and distribute. The reason you don't hear more from the film, music, or book industry about used sales is because it's just not cutting into their profitability in the same way...but that could very well change in the future.

You're arguing differences in business models, not fundamental differences in the products themselves.

As others have already suggested, if game publishers aren't able to survive with their current business models, then they should should probably explore other options, rather than complain about a long established consumer right.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Day 9
5. Re: Steam Summer Sale Day 9 Jul 2, 2010, 20:29 Kabuto

I picked up Borderlands, I couldn't pass it up for $10.00.

I'm considering buying Saints Row 2, but I've heard bad things about the PC port, particularly that the frame rate is terrible. Anyone have experience running it on a X4 955 w/ 8800GTS (G92)? I just want to know if it's at least playable before purchasing it.

Edit: Is any of the Borderland DLC worth buying for single player only?

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2010, 20:55.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
36. Re: Steam Sale Jun 24, 2010, 22:13 Kabuto

Is Space Rangers 2 worth picking up? How has the gameplay and graphics help up after 4 years?  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jun 5, 2010, 03:51 Kabuto

Wow, SC2 is already being marked down to $10.00. I guess abandoning your user base by turning what was a unique RTS game into another C&C clone didn't pan out.
With that being said, for ten bucks I'll buy it and play through the SP campaign.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale May 18, 2010, 20:21 Kabuto

Is the single player portion of Universe at War worth playing?  

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2010, 00:18 Kabuto

It's downloading now.
Thanks guys.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Apr 19, 2010, 23:37 Kabuto

Anyone have any experience with Men of War? Is it worth playing?  

News Comments > Ubisoft: DRM "Vital" To PC Success
85. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 17, 2010, 03:34 Kabuto

spindoctor wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 11:33:
gilly775 wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 10:15:
Really? Vital? And how come this DRM isn't vital to companies like StarDock and yet they are selling games well with no DRM???

Because Stardock games cost 20-50 times less to make and subsequently the sales required (and obtained) are significantly less? Half a million sales of a game is a success for Stardock. Half a million sales for the high budget games would result in the studio being shutdown and the employees being fired.

I doubt Ubisoft's PC only releases (Silent Hunter 5 and Settlers 7) had budgets 20-50 times that of Sins of a Solar Empire. And by the same token, I doubt Ubisoft is depending on PC sales to get their big budgets titles such as AC2 or SC:C in the black.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Apr 13, 2010, 20:39 Kabuto

It has nothing to do with the actual dollar amount, it's the perceived value that people are looking at.
If a publisher is going to charge 1/6th the price of the full game for a DLC pack, they better be offering roughly 1/6th the content of the full game, or many people will perceive the DLC to be lacking value.

I don't think most people believe that below some arbitrary dollar amount getting value back for their money stops being important.
If it were that way, grocery stores would never put anything on-sale. After all, who would care about saving 50 cents or a dollar on an item.

News Comments > StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia
26. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 20:02 Kabuto

As it stands, I don't have any problem with what they are doing. It makes sense to offer a less expensive legal alternative in markets rife with piracy. However, it does go to show that a lot of the hoopla about lost revenue due to piracy in their primary markets is often a lot of hot air. If it wasn't, why not use the same strategy in the US and Europe?

I thought blizzard already announced their plan to monetize bnet using a free to play system with paid "extras". I don't see why they would abandon that model before it even gets started.

News Comments > Steam Top-Sellers
13. Re: Steam Top-Sellers Apr 12, 2010, 06:59 Kabuto

That makes as much sense as if I claimed the lack of AC2 and SH4 on the list proves people won't buy games with intrusive DRM.

What affect Ubisoft's decision to include such draconian DRM has had on sales is only known by those with access to total sales numbers and pre-release sales projections. Even then, it is difficult to factor why any product does better or worse than projections.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Apr 9, 2010, 00:11 Kabuto

"NOTE: The Impulse version of King Arthur does not include multiplayer gameplay. "

I haven't played the game, but that seems like a significant caveat against purchasing it on impulse.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Apr 8, 2010, 22:32 Kabuto

Is ARMA 2 worth picking up for $30?
One of my concerns is whether the performance has been improved since the demo version. The demo ran pretty iffy on my 8800GTS (N92).

News Comments > On Gears of War 2, PCs, and Piracy
61. Re: No subject Sep 30, 2008, 07:25 Kabuto

Sure, all of those people are just buying it to play SNES games right? Hahahaha. Easily the biggest load of crap you have ever posted. PSP piracy is rampant pal, stop making excuses.

While I haven't really been keeping up on the PSP "hacking" scene, I believe a large contributing factor for the poor PSP game sales is sony continually trying to kill the "unauthorized" software people keep creating for the PSP (emulators and the like).
New PSP games force a bios update to play, which screws up everything non-sony you have installed.
I think quite a few people may be making the choice to continue, as you say, using their SNES emulator rather then playing the latest PS2 rehash.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Royalties for used games Sep 28, 2008, 08:46 Kabuto

Royalties for used games why not?

Then what about books, movies, CDs, art, ect..
Can you really formulate a logical reason why video games are different then every other product ever created when it comes to second-hand sales?

36 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo