Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kabuto

Real Name Kabuto   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 28, 2008, 12:43
Total Comments 36 (Suspect)
User ID 54387

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2014, 07:45 Kabuto

Pretty fun game. Definitely a strong borderlands feel with the shooter/rpg mashup gameplay.

If they succeed in putting out enough content to fill all the gameplay types they're aiming for (sp/co-op/mmo lite/competitive shooter) it could be awesome.
If it lacks content or if the content feels too spread out over all the styles it could get boring quick.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers
24. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 3, 2013, 02:55 Kabuto

I was at the gearbox panel at PAX and my understanding, unless I misinterpreted things, was that because of the investment by gearbox shipbreakers is going to be a "full release" and no longer simply a f2p title.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 11, 2012, 16:35 Kabuto

It's too bad the wii u doesn't upscale wii games. That would have given people a big reason to upgrade ASAP despite the poor launch lineup.

Now, by the time the wii u has some compelling titles available it will probably have to compete directly with the ps4/xbox 720

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale May 8, 2012, 01:38 Kabuto

webweaver wrote on May 8, 2012, 00:53:
Battlefield 3 at $59.95 is 20% off??? Hmm, let's just raise the price of the game by 20%, then take off 20% and call it a "SALE". Way to insult our intelligence GameStop.

It includes "Back to Karkand". Still not a good deal though.

News Comments > Diablo III Auctions Detailed
44. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 01:28 Kabuto

I don't like the argument of "just don't use the RMAH". It ignores whether the game is designed and balanced around the RMAH.
 Look at so many free to play mmorpgs, or even many iPhone games, they are designed around in-game purchases. Those in-game purchases can normally in theory be unlocked without spending any real money, but the games are often balanced in such a way to make the unlocks too time consuming to actually be fun. 

For example, what if drop rates of rare items were reduced to 1/10th of what they were in D2 to encourage participation in the AH. That would be something that would greatly affect any players enjoyment of the game whether they choose to use the AH or not. 

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: Op Ed Apr 24, 2012, 05:28 Kabuto

As for piracy not creating revenue, again, you're contradicting yourself. You can't claim that saving money on a used copy will inevitably lead to sales of new copies, then turn around and say that saving money on a pirated copy won't

A few quick points, as I think this debate is losing steam.
When you trade a game in at GameStop people pretty much always take store credit for it because of the reduced cash value for trade ins, and proably more importantly, because promos only apply to trade ins for credit. That's why I talk about the money remaining in circulation within the industry, because it has to go towards additional game purchases.

And if used sales disappeared, do you think these people would stop buying games entirely? Or would they just buy fewer games? Keep in mind that used sales are non-existent sales for publishers and developers since no compensation is given to them. So basically, these people would still be buying the same amount of new games as before. That said, GameStop typically sells used games for only $5-10 less than new ones, so I'm guessing that most customers would accept the slight price increase and end up buying more new copies than they would have otherwise.

Consumers only have so much disposable income, what would happen without the abillity to buy and sell used games is anyones guess. My guess is that so called must have AAA titles would see increased sales while more fringe titles would see decreases due to more dollars being spent on the must have AAA games.

Saying that used games are only $5-10 less than new really isn't true. Most used games are sold pretty aggressively, GameStop is consistsnly offering promos on used games, as do most used game dealers. I bought my sisters family an Xbox 360 for Christmas and found most older titles to be anywhere from 50% to 75% off used vs new. I ended up being able to start them off with a much larger library of games by choosing to buy some titles used.

So if I buy a game, then upload a copy onto the net, that means that neither the publisher nor developer ever received compensation? Most pirated games originate from a legally-obtained copy. While each used copy was initially a new copy, that only applied to the first transaction (just like with many pirated copies). All the used sales? No compensation whatsoever (just like with pirated copies).

You should really drop this line of argument. The copy you post on the Internet is not the copy they received compensation for, it is a duplicate, as is every other copy downloaded. Your argument only makes sense If GameStop was manufacturing additional copies of the used games they sell.

News Comments > Op Ed
42. Re: Op Ed Apr 24, 2012, 01:56 Kabuto

Jerykk wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 00:12:

So you're saying that people wouldn't buy new games if there was no ability to resell them? The tremendous growth of digital distribution says otherwise. The notion that the industry would collapse were it not for used sales is fairly absurd. If used sales were abolished, life would go on as usual. There was a time when you could buy used PC games. Did PC gaming die when CD-keys and activations effectively killed the used PC game market? Nope. Do you really think that the console market would fare any differently? People can complain about consumer rights and entitlements all they want but at the end of the day, they'll still buy the games they want to play.

Talk about a straw man....
We are specifically talking about the subset of buyers who choose to resell their games, which considering the amount of business GameStop does, is quite significant.
Those buyers absolutely factor in the ability to resell into their purchasing decisions.

I don't remember making any argument regarding the collapse of the industry.
Personally, I think consoles could transition to an all digital market place if they learn from the pc side and copy the steam model of aggressive pricing. Unfortunately though, I bet they will simply try to use their closed marketplaces to price gouge consumers by offering less value for the same dollar amount. To be fair though, I was pessimistic about steam as well, and I have to admit that turned out great for consumers.

I already covered this one. Publishers and developers don't exist as one single conglomerate with shared profits. Buying a used copy of Psychonauts so you can afford to buy a new copy of CoD2012 does not help Double-Fine. It helps Activision and Infinity Ward/Treyarch. Different developers, different publishers. Even if you bought two games from the same developer and publisher, the used sale would negate the new one (provided the games had the same value at the same of purchase).

Again, you're are focusing on a single transaction. In a future transaction someone may end up trading in CoD2012 and purchasing a new copy of double fine adventure when it is released. Things balance out, the money stays in circulation within the industry. Piracy simply creates a new copy that otherwise wouldn't exist, no value is added, no revenue will be derived past, present or future.

This ability exists with new copies of games as well. However, when someone buys a new copy and DLC, the publisher/developer sees revenue from both the sale of the game AND the sale of the DLC

I thought we were discussing the difference between used games and piracy, the fact that you can buy dlc with a new game is irrelevent.

Ironically, many of your arguments can be applied to piracy as well. If you pirate a copy of Psychonauts, you'll save even more money which makes it even easier to buy a new copy of CoD2012. If you pirate a game and enjoy it, but can't get access to the DLC, you might be compelled to buy the full game. I know that having Steam automatically download patches and DLC is a lot more convenient than having to hunt down cracked patches and DLC. And if you're really concerned about saving money, piracy offers a means to try games that you'd otherwise never buy or at most wait until they hit the bargain bin (at which point neither the publisher nor developer sees negligible revenue). Who knows, if a pirate really likes a game, he might just buy it

See, it's very easy to make a broad argument full of convenient assumptions. Unfortunately, those assumptions can't really be supported by enough facts to provide the foundation of a strong argument. You need to focus in things that can be supported by facts. Like the fact that publishers and developers see no revenue from used or pirated games

I've presented numerous facts, that I doubt any fair minded person would dispute.
The one Incontrovertible fact still remains that every copy of a game in circulation new or used has provided its publisher/developer compensation. Whereas no compensation has been received past, present or future for a pirated copy.

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed Apr 23, 2012, 23:15 Kabuto

Sepharo wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 20:29:
Kabuto wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 18:23:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 12:30:

You're still arguing legality and not practical results. Once again, nobody is disputing that people are allowed to buy and sell used games. However, when used games are bought and sold, neither the developer or publisher sees compensation. Whether or not they deserve to see compensation is another matter entirely, but the fact remains that they don't see any. Same thing applies to piracy.

I see the problem here. You want to argue the single used game transaction and ignore the larger picture. You want to ignore that the original "new" buyer almost certainly factored in their ability to resell the game at a later time before making their purchase. You want to pretend that the money received by selling their game will not recirculate into the game industry and will only be used on preowned games. You want to ignore that each and every time a used copy of a game is sold it gives publishers the ability to up sell a new customer on high margin DLC. 
You have to take a pretty narrow point of view to equate piracy and used game sales.

Now you shall face my army of strawmen... Muwhahahaahah

Jerykk has made his position clear that he sees no difference between buying a used game or pirating a game because during the actual transaction (buying a used game or downloading a pirated game) no compensation is provided to the publisher and or developer. This position ignores any and all other factors that make buying a used game dramatically different than simply downloading a pirated copy. I pointed out a few of the differences to illustrate my point, which is hardly straw-man argument. 

News Comments > Op Ed
38. Re: Op Ed Apr 23, 2012, 18:23 Kabuto

Jerykk wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 12:30:

You're still arguing legality and not practical results. Once again, nobody is disputing that people are allowed to buy and sell used games. However, when used games are bought and sold, neither the developer or publisher sees compensation. Whether or not they deserve to see compensation is another matter entirely, but the fact remains that they don't see any. Same thing applies to piracy.

I see the problem here. You want to argue the single used game transaction and ignore the larger picture. You want to ignore that the original "new" buyer almost certainly factored in their ability to resell the game at a later time before making their purchase. You want to pretend that the money received by selling their game will not recirculate into the game industry and will only be used on preowned games. You want to ignore that each and every time a used copy of a game is sold it gives publishers the ability to up sell a new customer on high margin DLC. 
You have to take a pretty narrow point of view to equate piracy and used game sales.  

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Apr 23, 2012, 02:57 Kabuto

Jerykk wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 01:49:

Again, you're assuming that all pirated copies originate from a copy that was obtained illegally. In truth, most pirated games originate from a new copy that was legally obtained. After all, that's the easiest way to obtain games before they are pirated. For that one new copy, the publisher received compensation. Same thing applies to games that are resold as a used copies. However, whether or not the publisher and/or developer received compensation for the original purchase is largely irrelevant. They did not receive any compensation for the transactions made after that original purchase, whether it be a used sale from GameStop or a pirated sale from some street vendor in Thailand.

What you really mean to say is that used copies are generally harder to obtain than pirated copies. This is true (provided you have access to the internet). However, it's a pretty trivial point and doesn't change the fact that neither a used sale nor a pirated sale offer compensation to either the publisher or developer of the game being traded.

While piracy is illegal and used sales are not, they both have the same end result when it comes to publishers and developers. Used sales are convenient because they let you be cheap without compromising your moral integrity unless you actually care about developers being rewarded for their work.

It doesn't matter if the original copy that is cracked and distributed was legally purchased or not. That single copy can now be downloaded an infinite number of times, making the origins of the original copy irrelevant. A single used copy may realistically be resold a handful of ttimes, but the most important distinction is that every used copy in distribution was orignally a legally sold copy.

If you want to argue that used game sales hurt the industry as a whole, go ahead. I don't neccasarily agree, but the argument can certainly be made. But stretching that argument to say that pirating a game is the equivalent of buying used is absurd.

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Apr 23, 2012, 01:28 Kabuto

Jerykk wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 00:47:

One, usually. Same with used games. You buy a new game, then sell it, someone else buys it, then sells it, rinse and repeat forever. Pretty much the same as buying a game, then copying it and releasing it on the

Are you just being deliberately obtuse?
GameStop, and any used game retailer for that matter, requires a vast inventory of used games to operate. All of those copies were at one point purchased new.

Your argument that a single copy can be resold countless times, while theoretically true, is extremely unlikely in most cases due to the short shelf life of most AAA games. Regardless though of how many times a used game is resold the fact remains that originally that copy was purchased new and the publisher of said title did receive compensation for it. For a pirated copy no compensation will ever be received.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Apr 22, 2012, 07:59 Kabuto

I'm not going to rehash the entire used game debate, that has been done to death here. The point I take issue with, which I've seen you espouse, is that pirating a game is the equivalent of buying a used copy.

Jerykk wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 04:18:

Your position ignores the fact that a used copy only requires a new purchase once

How many copies need to be sold for a game to be pirated an infinite number of times?

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Apr 21, 2012, 23:49 Kabuto

NKD wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 20:06:
You're better off pirating the game than buying it used from GameStop. Either way the developer doesn't see a cent, and if you pirate, you're not supporting GameStop's vampiric business practices.

This position ignores the fact that for GameStop to sell a used copy a new copy had to of first been bought and resold. No such requirement exists for pirated copies. It also ignores the likelihood that fewer new copies would be purchased if buyers were unable to trade or sell them at a later time.

Given GameStops thriving business model, clearly there is ample demand for both recouping part of the cost of purchasing a game, and buying discounted games. Until I see publishers actively addressing these issues, rather than simply throwing a hissy fit, they won't have my support in demonizing used game sales.

News Comments > Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN
8. Re: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN Mar 26, 2012, 23:21 Kabuto

I went ahead and kicked in $15.00. I would need more information about these investors and what their actual commitment is before I would be willing to up my contribution.  

News Comments > Arma 3 Alpha Release Planned
1. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Release Planned Feb 24, 2012, 21:39 Kabuto

Sounds typical of a ArmA game, except this time I guess they aren't charging for the alpha testing.....  

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Feb 19, 2011, 02:15 Kabuto

Civilization V is on sale at Green Man Gaming for $19.96 during the next 16 hours.

News Comments > Dead Space 2 DLC Dead 2 PC
14. Re: Dead Space 2 DLC Dead 2 PC Jan 27, 2011, 00:35 Kabuto

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 26, 2011, 23:20:

All the Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age DLC came to PC. Shit, even the Mirror's Edge DLC did. I am not saying EA are the best at supporting the PC versions of console-focused games mind you, I am just saying their recent support has been relatively good.

I read the original Dead Space sold like crap on the PC, so I am assuming this is about the market being too small more than anything. They contribute to the PC market being small by making the PC version less appealing though, certainly.

The post I responded to specifically mentioned the non-existent support for the first Dead Space, but despite that they still went ahead and purchased the sequel at launch for full price. As the saying goes fool me once....

With that being said, I agree that it's a slap in the face to their paying customers to not offer the same support and content across all platforms. The only recourse though is to not buy their products until they change their business practices.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2011, 00:46.

News Comments > Dead Space 2 DLC Dead 2 PC
7. Re: Dead Space 2 DLC Dead 2 PC Jan 26, 2011, 21:58 Kabuto

Sempai wrote on Jan 26, 2011, 21:29:
I bought the PC Special Edition for $80 bucks.

Not ONE patch for the first Dead Space.

FUCK YOU EA!

The problem is that you chose to pay full price knowing full well that EA has a history of not supporting the PC version of their games. In the future, don't support companies with poor business practices.

News Comments > Direct2Drive Game Rentals
26. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 23, 2011, 01:19 Kabuto

I would have applauded this a few years back, but now that excellent deals offered through digital distribution services are the norm, $5 rentals seem pointless. The only way this new services makes sense for me as a consumer is if new titles are offered VERY quickly after release. Otherwise, I might as well wait for it to go on sale for $5-$10 and get the entire game.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2010, 20:56 Kabuto

Amazon has a few really good deals going on right now:

Mafia 2 - $12.50
ArmA2: Combined Operations - $12.50
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat - $5.00

All of those are the cheapest I've seen yet.

36 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo