Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JB

Real Name JB   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname sdgundamx
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 27, 2008, 04:05
Total Comments 18 (Suspect)
User ID 54381

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
30. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 1, 2013, 22:28 sdgundamx

Absolutely agree with you about the exploration aspect. All the hours I've played and I still come across things that I never noticed before (hidden chests in dungeons or high up on wilderness mountains, side quests I never new were even there, etc.). I haven't picked up Dragonborn yet and I'm really looking forward to that feeling of not knowing what's around the next corner.

About Ancient's Ascent, it sounds like it was a bug. Before you do the main quest, there are either bandits or other mobs (Wisp Mother's, skeletons, etc.) guarding the word walls. I kind of understand why they limited the first dragon appearance to the main story line--they wanted to have NPCs on hand to explain about the dragon soul absorption and using shouts rather than just some tool-tip box telling you about it. Plus that first fight is pretty dramatic. A couple of Whiterun guards usually get eaten before the end of it and I always get a chuckle out of looting the dragon only to find Whiterun guard armor and shields in its belly. It's too bad that the dragon fights quickly become so boring. I have far more tense encounters with giants (who will one-hit kill you at lower levels) and bandit chiefs wielding two-handed weapons than when fighting dragons.

Krovven wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 21:18:
A friend of mine, is almost 1000 hours into Skyrim. Yes, you read that right, 1000 hours, 982 specifically. I'm sure he will hit the 1000 mark sometime this upcoming week.

I've been holding off on Skyrim for a long time. Batman bought it for me as I was still sitting on the fence about getting it. If it wasn't for mods, I'd probably find it unplayable. How some of these things were not done by Bethesda just astounds me. The biggest problem with Skyrim is that there are too many mods due to severe design deficiencies from Bethesda. So instead of mods focusing on adding excellent content, mod authors have had to spend a lot of time on trying to improve the gameplay and GUI.

I've got 31 mods installed right now and I'd have more if my computer could handle graphical mods. And if I ever finish 1 playthrough, I'm sure I'll add more mods to increase immersion. As it is, I've been adding a mod here and there as I play.

Horror, if you use SkyUI, skills and items you add to Favorites you can bind to the number keys for quick access and use. While it's not a power bar...it's close enough.

Edit: What I like most is the exploration. ie: last night I came across the Pinewatch house, found the hidden door and made my way through. Killing the bandits, stealing their loot, through the traps (that was a bit weak), and stole the treasure. Loved it. This is why I like games like this.

On the flipside. Prior to Pinewatch I had found Ancients Ascent and got the Dragon Word. Problem was, there was no dragon protecting it (yet I could hear him flapping his wings from down the mountain at the burnt out hovel). Talking to my friend, the dragon wasn't there because I hadn't progressed the main storyline yet by going to Whiterun, and the dragon will show up there once I do.

It's stuff like this that baffles me in a sandbox game. Why would you have a trigger to spawn the dragon after I met quest requirements, when I could easily find the place if I'm just exploring near the starting area?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
29. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 1, 2013, 22:17 sdgundamx

I'm about equal with you with number of hours played and still haven't finished the main story. I spend most of my time tinkering with different character builds. For example, how about an archer that only uses poisons and a bound bow? How about a wizard who only uses staves to cast? etc.

I'm surprised about your comments about smithing. Are you playing on Master or Legendary difficulty? Smithing is most certainly not wasted perks on those difficulty settings, as you'll need the increased firepower/protection pretty early on to survive if you're a melee-type character.

jimnms wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 19:08:
Dirwulf wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 15:44:
I wonder how many people actually finished the main story in Skyrim. I have 71 hours invested in that game, and I didn't even get close. Maybe 71 hours isn't that much. I just got bored with the game. It's the same shit over and over and over and over and over...

I can top that. I have 377 hours without finishing it. Not all of that is actual game play. A lot of that is testing mods screwing around....[snip]

[/snip]...Having realized I wasted skills in the smithing tree was the final straw. I quit out of frustration with the game. I've gone back to it a few times. I'll update my current mods, install some new ones, play around a little, but then never stick with it...

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Nov 18, 2013, 20:31 sdgundamx

Ya, I've been using it already and I'm really impressed with it. Waaaaay better than the black-n-white x-ray style map they used to have.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Trailer
3. Re: Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Trailer Jul 10, 2013, 21:18 sdgundamx

Ward wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 20:47:
I never got into AC at all. Got AC3 for free with my SSD's never even played it but....wow this AC4 Black Flag looks fantastic, i am more interested in the ship upgrades and just plunder and increase the crew

Never seen ship combat look so flippin' fun!

You know, I was the same. Didn't really interest me when it first came out. But then I picked up Assassin's Creed II during the winter Steam sale on recommendation from a friend. I just got around to starting to play it and I'm really enjoying it, to the point where I'll probably pick up III and IV eventually.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jan 15, 2013, 02:26 sdgundamx

I think this quote from the article is just brilliant:

I don’t believe that game violence causes real world violence, but I do believe that it does little to prevent it (emphasis added). And games with meaningful (and potentially distasteful) choice just might do better because they stand a chance of making the player think about what they’re doing on screen.

I agree for the most part with him and I don't think there's any direct causal link between violence and video games (i.e. because someone played a game they then go out and decide to physically hurt someone).

However, I do think that games do reflect and sometimes reinforce our societal attitudes--one of those attitudes being that violence is an acceptable and even preferable method of solving problems in certain cases (for example, "self-defense" in all of its interpretations).

I would love to see games that get us to question these cultural values and providing more choice is one way to do that. Like he says in the article, you're still going to get people who kill in the game just for the humor's sake (because you can and because it doesn't have an RL consequences) but you might also get people thinking more about violence not just in games but in RL as well.

It would be cool if more games could be fun AND get people to think about real-world issues too. I never played Ultima 6, but I hear lots of older games talk with reverence about the impact that game had on them when they discovered (hidden text: spoiler alert) that the gargoyles they have been tasked with exterminating are in fact intelligent creatures merely trying to defend themselves from the human genocide being inflicted on them. This twist got gamers to think about how we "demonize" our enemies in order to rationalize the violence we inflict on them. More games like that would be awesome indeed.

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Mode Launches
23. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 00:04 sdgundamx

LazyCat wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 23:06:
Bit buggy with multiple monitors.
Compatibility mode- changing resolutions and graphics modes etc.

Could not find my gamepad. (its not an xbox controller)

Seems these days only a few indie titles can find a non xbox controller, all the mainstream big company developers suck.

I've been using an Xbox controller emulator for my gamepads. There are lots out there... can't remember off the top of my head which emulator I went with (I set it up a while ago and never thought about it again). Maybe someone else here can point you to a link.

7. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 20:55 sdgundamx

Okay, now I get it.

I never navigated Steam through the TV... just used my laptop to set everything up and then plugged in the HDMI. But yeah, if you'd rather do all that from the couch or you're hooking up to the TV with something other than a laptop which doesn't have an already attached monitor (as it shows in their promo) I can see why you'd want a smoother interface.

Thanks for explaining it.

3. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 20:20 sdgundamx

Wait, I'm confused... Can someone explain this to me?

I was already hooking up my laptop to my HDTV with an HDMI cable and playing Steam games like Batman Arkham Asylum--with *gasp* a wireless controller. I'm not getting what the need for Big Picture is...

News Comments > Digital Chocolate Layoffs? Hawkins Out As CEO
3. Re: Digital Chocolate Layoffs? Hawkins Out As CEO May 28, 2012, 21:23 sdgundamx

As a former employee of 3DO, my heart goes out to those who got laid off, but it's not surprising at all.

When 3DO was having problems, Trip Hawkins held a meeting for the staff. I personally asked him if we would be getting our final paychecks in the event the company declared bankruptcy (I'd been burned at a previous company) on time (payday was in 2 weeks) and he said unequivocally "yes."

3DO closed its doors permanently a week later, and guess what? No paychecks.

That was in 2003.

The bankruptcy courts finally approved the distribution of employee paychecks in 2010.

Trip Hawkins is an egotistical liar. I have no idea how he convinced investors to give him money to startup Digital Chocolate after he ran 3DO into the ground. But I guess they're learning the hard way now about who he really is.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 11, 2010, 02:13 sdgundamx

That "article" is actually a blog. Either way, it is terrible. I just posted a comment pointing out one of the many gross misstatements the author made. As an academic myself, I have to wonder how the woman got her PhD when she quite intentionally misrepresents the research to support her clearly biased opinion.  

News Comments > IO Interactive Cuts
9. Re: IO Interactive Cuts Nov 1, 2010, 03:40 sdgundamx

LOL, I worked in both the movie industry and the game industry, so I hear you loud and clear.

That said, my actual job was a lot of fun. The un-fun stuff was dealing with idiotic higher-ups.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: Trip Hawkins Mar 29, 2010, 00:46 sdgundamx

I'll listen to what Trip Hawkins has to say when I see my last month's paycheck from 3DO. Seven years and still waiting... how he convinced investors to give him the capital to start Digital Chocolate after running 3DO straight into the ground is completely beyond me.  

News Comments > Atari: Used Game Sales "Extremely Painful"
10. Re: Atari: Used Game Sales Dec 3, 2008, 17:43 sdgundamx

Agreed Techie - see, just look at the Garry's Mod article before this one.

It is supply and demand. Basic economics. I am not saying the perfect price point is $9.99 - but it sure as hell ain't $54.99!

Garry's mod has sold more than a lot of the "AAA" titles out there!

Just because you're not willing to pay $54.99 doesn't mean no one else will. Sales of game software are at record levels and actually expected to increase despite the tough economy. Cutting the price may garner them some more sales, but if that cuts into their profit margins then it would be suicidal. Supply and demand is working just fine with the current price levels.

The problem really is one of quality. There are many crap games out there that get massively hyped and make decent sales in the first week as people bandwagon into buying them. Then word gets around from the first adopters that the game sucks and sales take a nose-dive. But really, that's a problem for consumers, not for publishers. The fanboys will be in line from Day 1 to purchase the game regardless of if the stores charge 34.99 or 54.99. So why not charge the higher price?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Grand Theft Auto IV
29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Grand Theft Auto IV Dec 2, 2008, 23:45 sdgundamx

I must be the only person on the planet that does not like gta. I even played the first grand theft auto the one where it was all birds eye view before it went hollywood. Every GTA I have tried I was frustrated with controls I could never do what I wanted to do using them.

Trust me, you are not alone. Although I'll be honest, while I hated the controls of Vice City, the retro 80s theme was so alluring that I played it almost to the end of the story.

News Comments > Three Final Fantasy XI Expansions Planned
5. Re: Three Final Fantasy XI Expansions Planned Nov 23, 2008, 14:52 sdgundamx

I don't know what it is like now, but leveling was never really an issue when it first came out if you had a full group. The game basically forced you to utilize full groups in order to level at an acceptable pace. What cost a lot of time, though, was finding a group. There was all this elitism about the gear you had. Didn't have the best gear for your job/level? Then good luck getting a group.

The Catch-22 was of course that good gear cost gil. And the game was designed in such a way that you made almost zero money while grouped. In order to get gil you had to go solo farm for hours at a time. That's really what finally caused me to quit the game. I spent more time farming for gil to afford arrows for my ranger than actually grouped and leveling.

Still, I did have a lot of good times in this game. I played it far longer than I did WoW. FFXI was far more unforgiving, and I think that's what I liked about it. Dying hurt pretty bad and it was essential to work as a team when you were grouped. WoW always felt too easy to me, although granted I never did any of the high level raids. FFXI had plenty of flaws to be sure, but when you finally did find a good group it got really fun.

News Comments > Dungeons & Dragons Online Updated
9. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Updated Nov 4, 2008, 17:14 sdgundamx

When they get to the update that adds the fun, I'll be all over this.  

News Comments > Violent Games & Hostility
21. Re: Violent Games & Hostility Nov 3, 2008, 18:39 sdgundamx

After reading the article in Pediatrics, I have to say that the science looks pretty good. I'm not sure about the retrospective self-report measurements used in the Japanese samples, but I feel better about the measures used in the American sample. They all yielded similar results in the end, anyway.

Here's what I took away from this. The longitudinal path weights (betas) ranged from .075 to .158 across the different samples, which means that violent video game exposure accounts for from 7.5% to 15.8% of the variation in physical violence. In other words, a VAST majority of the variation in physical aggression are still unexplained.

Perhaps parental involvement or some other factor is a greater predictor, and therefore worthy of more "blame" than video games? At any rate, it's probably not a good idea to have your 7 to 12 year olds playing Manhunt.

Yeah, I agree. Isn't the mantra of all statistical analysis "correlation does not equal causation"? I still don't see how this study solves the chicken versus egg issue of whether games cause violent behavior or those with violent behavioral tendencies are drawn to games.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Vicodin Sep 27, 2008, 00:07 sdgundamx

Hey Blue, sorry to hear about the tooth. Be careful with that Vicodin. My friend's daughter just spent the night in the hospital after taking too high a dose (she just had knee surgery) and throwing up blood for two hours.

18 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo