Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matthew Ardill

Real Name Matthew Ardill   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname commonperson
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 18, 2008, 17:06
Total Comments 95 (Suspect)
User ID 54267

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Within Announced
35. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 22, 2013, 09:22 commonperson

Riker wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 23:36:
Dev wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 22:48:
I'm interested, but $30 is a bit steep IMO

This almost feels like a full sequel. Tons of new content. $30 seems quite reasonable to me, and I'm glad they're putting that much into it.

I'm on the fence, I'm for sure getting it but I'm curious how much story content there will be. They're kind of coy regarding that and base invasions which leads me to believe it may be fairly substantial. Sure new game systems are great and all but if they don't weave it in story wise it's just paint on a rusting car. That being said given the trailer I think it implies some changes to the story arc.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 21, 2013, 13:14 commonperson

Ooooh! I thought it was a scrambled version of their logo. Maybe it's going to tie back in to Mosaic and the new "prequel" and infiltrators. Interesting! Good eye!  

19. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 21, 2013, 13:12 commonperson

Creston wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 12:45:
commonperson wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 11:59:
I know! I'm getting married in October

Congrats!

Thanks, I'm hoping to set aside some of the gift money for game goodness. ;-)

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie Announced
5. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Announced Aug 21, 2013, 13:10 commonperson

This interests me far more than Dust. Could be fun, I hope those of us who don't have money for an Occulus Rift can play it on our old fashioned monitors.  

13. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 21, 2013, 11:59 commonperson

Creston wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 11:41:
Oh for God's sake, not in fucking November!

AC4
Watch Dogs
X-Rebirth
XCom

WTF game industry??? Do you WANT me to wait six months and buy your shit on sale??

Edit: Actually, seeing that the price is 30 bucks, I'm going to wait for it to go on sale anyway.

I know! I'm getting married in October so have no money to get anything until probably next year. I'm just going to wait and get a next gen console and get the games then at this point. The industry really needs to learn to release product in more of a stretch across the year but I think there's also a push to get in at the tail end of the generation.

12. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 21, 2013, 11:58 commonperson

Creston wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 11:43:
Great. Nerf the one power that actually made end-game on Classic and above viable.

They may have balanced it with other powers. We'll have to see how it plays out, the wild variety of new powers seems quite interesting.

9. Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 21, 2013, 11:26 commonperson

Prez wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 10:23:
Still no base defense and no map randomizer. Damn.

In one interview (I think over on IGN) I read how they "remained coy" basically not saying no to Base Defense. My guess is it's either going to be in the game or it's something they are trying to get in but wont confirm or deny in case it goes sideways. Given the title my guess is it's in the game (especially since Optimus Prime's base got trashed in the trailer).

News Comments > Tropico 5 Announced
9. Re: Tropico 5 Announced Aug 15, 2013, 10:47 commonperson

I just love the video is a Great Dictator Chaplin shout out. Freaking genius.  

News Comments > U.K. Charts
2. Re: U.K. Charts Jul 8, 2013, 14:53 commonperson

jdreyer wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 14:03:
Who ARE all these people playing the Sims?

Also, hope Last of Us comes to PC some day.

My experience with the SIMS players has pretty much universally been middle aged women. Regarding The Last of Us that will never happen, Naughty Dog is a PS3 only shop and is owned by Sony. Their product (Uncharted and TLoU) are very much flagship brands that bring people to the console. You're more likely to see Halo 4 on PC than TLoU.

News Comments > Broken Age Budget Tight: Steam Early Access Planned
22. Re: Broken Age Budget Tight: Steam Early Access Planned Jul 3, 2013, 00:04 commonperson

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 23:44:
Don't blow this out of proportion though. Adventure games are linear with a set story and progression and so you can't cut anything. The real problem is this line

<snip>

The design should have been DONE before the game was put on KS. With certain extension options (Adding more stuff at points A B C) Improved ART, Improved MUSIC

but the general scope should have been set in stone!

You can always add more if you have more money, but the basic game scope should be planned out and done FIRST.

In the end, this is KS's fault. Because they take 0 responsibility and don't monitor or set milestones.

That first point is a big assumption, traditionally adventure games have been linear but what's to say this game will be linear? I'm not saying it WONT be but there could be branching tory lines, etc. like Walking Dead. Sure it's non-episodic (well WAS non-episodic) but actions informing later events could impact the direction of the story in a non-linear way.

So I don't agree that first point but ever everything else is 100% bang on, after funding this all future games I stopped and realized I need to see more proof of concept before I throw money at something. If I approached the initial DF proposal today with my current critical eye I'd probably not have funded it. I guess that's it's benefit from being early out of the gate for big name projects. There needs to be some kind of control in place (like minimum requirements for posting or some kind of vetting I mean look at the stir caused by that pick up book). I wouldn't say this is all Kick Starter's fault but maybe 50/50 they should require more guidance and DF should have known better.

News Comments > Broken Age Budget Tight: Steam Early Access Planned
13. Re: Broken Age Budget Tight: Steam Early Access Planned Jul 2, 2013, 22:53 commonperson

killer_roach wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 22:20:
It's Tim Schaeffer. The guy's the world's oldest teenager. I can seriously believe ADHD got the better of him. Unfortunately, it means they really need some more business-minded people around him, or else he's going to drive Double Fine into the arms of EA or Microsoft if he's not careful.

I totally agree (and I also agree with the statements about holding off on funding future projects which is where I stand until my Shadowrun, Star Citizen and this come out it'll take a seriously impressive design document with some real completed ground work done before I pledge a penny). I've worked with other programmers and the biggest problem half the time is their enthusiasm to try new things (be it design styles, languages, or tools) and scope creep is insane. Really what he needs is a good project manager who can keep the project on target and takes serious passes at design documents prior to commitment. Schaffer is awesome and really enthusiastic and loves games, that's to be admired but he needs a partner to keep his enthusiasm in check (not a Kotick but some one who actually loves games but has a sense of scope).

News Comments > Eternal Darkness Spiritual Successor Kickstarter Tomorrow
7. Re: Eternal Darkness Spiritual Successor Kickstarter Tomorrow May 5, 2013, 21:06 commonperson

Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 5, 2013, 15:34:
Denis Dyack is a horrible manager and based on some of his statements, it borderline unstable. I wouldn't touch a project he's involved in with a 10 foot pole.

Exactly, thank you Canada my tax dollars at work. *sigh* I'm actually pro-incentivizing growth in the sector with tax breaks and grants especially in places like Saint Catharines which has been struggling for years to find a stable growth industry and corporation to revolve around and SK pretty much laid low all the growth due to Dyack's ego. Thankfully the Ontario government hasn't panicked and pulled all funding mainly due to success like Ubisoft in Toronto and Quebec's strong growth in the sector but that's millions pissed away on a shite Norse God game and an even more shite X-Men game. A freaking shame when there are more deserving companies that could have used that funding to grow and bring more jobs to the province.

News Comments > Spicy Horse Announces Hell Invaders
5. Re: Spicy Horse Announces Hell Invaders Apr 25, 2013, 11:45 commonperson

Julio wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 10:46:
Cutter wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 10:41:
Why does McGee not want to make games at home? Too cheap? Rather outsource then hire domestically?

I'm guessing he wants labor at slave pricing like Apple. Maybe he should change his first name from "American" given he'd rather outsource to China.

He doesn't outsource, that would imply he runs a business out of America. He's relocated to China (having left in 2005 residing in Hong Kong, Llama Island, and now Shanghai), he's an expat residing in China running a business in China which he started AFTER leaving America. Given his "quirky" nature I think it's a cultural choice.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Star Trek: The Video Game
23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Star Trek: The Video Game Apr 24, 2013, 07:26 commonperson

Fletch wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 22:58:
Another interactive movie for consoles with a minute or two of third-person, cover system, hide-and-heal gameplay thrown in now and then. Pass.

Have you actually played it? It's pretty much standard FPS fare and no more an "interactive movie" than Gears or any other third person shooter is. It's not great but it's a middling title and the graphics are fairly decent on the PC (if a little lens flare heavy).

News Comments > Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June
62. Re: Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June Apr 10, 2013, 17:25 commonperson

Julio wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 16:55:
Too bad they basically lied about DRM free to their backers.

But they didn't you can still get it DRM free from their website, just future content after the promised content will not be available. Anyhow what ever, your loss. *shrug*

61. Re: Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June Apr 10, 2013, 17:21 commonperson

Harlequin wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 16:35:
He said it was the first RPG to create a "dystopian future combining magic and tech." which it did. Those that you listed have one or the other but not a combo of the two as SR did. SR was AFAIK the first bladerunner meets D&D setting/game system.

I more focused on the "basically all PnP was high-fantasy at the time" which wasn't quite true. And really the GURPS predated it with similar content but the big problem with Gurps is you had to draw from so many different source books but it predated by a few years (1986) and Rifts (and Paladium's other games) were cross compatible and would let you run magic in a similar setting was a contemporary (released in 1990). So while they may not have been as high profile (in the case fo GURPS it's kind of a gamer's game system and arguably Rifts had the same kind of penetration) Shadowrun brought a degree of polish and professionalism that neither other title had. BTW even I admited I was nitpicking. :-P

49. Re: Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June Apr 10, 2013, 15:49 commonperson

Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 15:39:
Yeah, for me, with the exception of Paranoia I didn't know anyone else doing anything else for PnP until Shadowrun arrived. Everything else was all D&D in my little corner of the world.

AD&D was my poison of choice back in the day (my DM was such a hardass he'd not even let us play 2nd edition it was Advanced with Unearthed Arcana or nothing). There's some great games from the 80s and 90s but trying to go back now very few stand up since there was so little refinement to the rules in a lot of systems but some are great. Have you picked up the reissue of Paranoia? The new version is fun but if you get the "Black Book" version it comes with a CD with all the previous iterations. Part of me misses playing in my friends basment 20 years ago that being said my once every 2 week sessions with friends in Australia over Roll20 to play Star Wars Saga Edition is a close substitute. :-)

44. Re: Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June Apr 10, 2013, 15:36 commonperson

Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 10:13:
Well, basically all PnP was high-fantasy at the time - with a few exceptions - so Shadowrun really broke the mold by taking it into the near, dystopian future combining magic and tech. It was just a real breath of fresh air at the time for PnP games in an interesting setting.

Except for Cyberpunk 2020... or Paranoia... or TMNT... or Rifts... or Champions... or GURPS... or the Battletech RPG and so on. Not to be too much of a nitpicker but when Shadowrun came out there were tons of good PnP RPGs but Shadowrun really did bring a nice degree of polish.

News Comments > EA "Wins" Consumerist Poll Again
40. Re: EA Apr 10, 2013, 15:22 commonperson

Cutter wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 22:04:
commonperson wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 21:08:
Honestly what this tells me that a)the sample pool is invalid and b)The Consumerist is rubbish. I'm sorry, but in no way does anything that EA has done in it's worst imaginings stack up against Bank of America or any of those other companies. It's crap like this that make gamers look like fools.

Hi, you must be new to gaming - as in you started yesterday - because this is really pretty much spot on. EA is the poster child of how to do everything wrong as a company - particularly when it comes to customer service. Their reaction to it last year only validated what this poll was saying. And the fact that it's so easy to actually do it right in the first place only further illustrates what a bad company they are.

Edit: Oh yeah, don't forget EA screws people all over the globe where BoA is US only.

Like I said they are not perfect or even good, though probably about on par with Activision in my experience, but PropheT said it best "Compare that to people who get screwed by Bank of America, who is paying out almost $10 billion in mortgage buyouts or cash for screwing people who got loans for the better part of the last decade. Look at Comcast, for the articles you see posted here almost as often as EA's despite this being a gaming site (same for Time-Warner). Carnival has been leaving people stuck at sea with only a "sorry" and a voucher for another one of their cruises, and a number of other issues that you don't see reported much."

Long story short, there's a seriously broken sense of priorities here that really make me struggle to take The Consumerist's study seriously.

News Comments > EA "Wins" Consumerist Poll Again
2. Re: EA "Wins" Consumerist Poll Again Apr 9, 2013, 21:08 commonperson

Honestly what this tells me that a)the sample pool is invalid and b)The Consumerist is rubbish. I'm sorry, but in no way does anything that EA has done in it's worst imaginings stack up against Bank of America or any of those other companies. It's crap like this that make gamers look like fools.  

95 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo