Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for CannibalBob

Real Name CannibalBob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2008, 07:55
Total Comments 51 (Suspect)
User ID 52745

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated]
100. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 22, 2010, 21:34 CannibalBob

Heh, I figured it was just a stunt. I mean, if you read the messages they posted carefully, they never exactly and clearly say that they are shutting down and staying down. Rather, they say things like "it was a good run", which, on its own, simply means "thank you". Nothing wrong with saying "thank you" to your customers once in a while.  

"If you like it, they will stop making it" - Herblock's Law
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Amnesia Postmortem
50. Re: Amnesia Postmortem Sep 19, 2010, 23:00 CannibalBob

Adding my comment here:
I'm a regular Steam user and noticed this game's release. It didn't interest me (I have both Penumbra games and barely played them) and I knew nothing about the game. The price is cheap for a new game ($20) and would have bought it if I was interested.

So I'd say that the reason it's not selling well is a combination of the game being too niche (I honestly do not see much of a demand for horror games) and poor marketing.

I hate the argument of blaming it in piracy. Sure, it will get pirated and it may have been pirated X times, but that doesn't mean it would have made Price * X amount of money. As far as I can tell, most pirates are not interested in paying for the games anyway so I doubt they would have paid if that was the only option.
According to Valve, a lot of piracy occurs in countries where the game has staggered release dates (or none at all), such as Russia or Germany. Perhaps that is the issue?

News Comments > Valve Plans 3 "Big Surprises"
59. Re: Valve Plans 3 "Big Surprises" Sep 1, 2010, 18:51 CannibalBob

Calling it - DotA, Minecraft and something on the PS3 (L4D2?)  

News Comments > Team 17 Goes Digital-Only
9. Re: Team 17 Goes Digital-Only Aug 30, 2010, 18:00 CannibalBob

I have noticed cheaper games (frequent buyer of Steam/D2D/GG/Impulse sales :D)

But I agree, the newer games seem to stick at full price for longer than retail games used to. I think it's because the digital store can afford to keep the games at that price for longer, and it seems it's the publisher who sets the original price, not the store - the store seems to only control the deals and specials, not the base price.

News Comments > Tropico 4 Announced
8. Re: Tropico 4 Announced Aug 13, 2010, 17:39 CannibalBob

Interesting. Feels kind of too soon for a sequel. I wonder if they'll continue with expansions for T3?  

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Update "Next Month"
15. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update "Next Month" Aug 12, 2010, 04:03 CannibalBob

Looks great; item trading should definitely be interesting and (hopefully) makes items "worth" a bit more.

I just hope they don't make trading direct-only and without some sort of database. I'd hate to see people jump into a game, spam the chat with "WTT X FOR Y" and leave when nobody responds. Trading should take place outside the game imo.

News Comments > StarCraft II Trailer
6. Re: StarCraft II Trailer Jul 21, 2010, 22:25 CannibalBob

OK wait... this is the story from SC1. I really hope SC2 kicks off *AFTER* SC1!  

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Patched
9. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Jul 20, 2010, 15:25 CannibalBob

If you ever have problems connecting to steam, then change your download region to something less "populated" (like France).  

News Comments > WSJ: StarCraft II Cost More Than $100M
31. Re: WSJ: StarCraft II Cost More Than $100M Jul 17, 2010, 05:15 CannibalBob

Let's see... 100m for 5 years is 20 million a year, and if employees get paid 50-100k, that means there were 200-400 people workin on this full time. If you factor in people who worked on the CGI cutscenes as well as game testers and other expenses like hardware, then those numbers seem to make sense. Maybe  

News Comments > UFO: Alien Invasion Patch
4. Re: UFO: Alien Invasion Patch Jun 28, 2010, 15:47 CannibalBob

I played this a looong time ago (2 years ago?) when it was new. It was still very fun but it was unfinished. I have yet to try it now but I think I'll give it a try, now that it has a global world aspect as well including base building.  

News Comments > XCOM Trailer
21. Re: XCOM Trailer Jun 11, 2010, 16:16 CannibalBob

Game looks pretty fun (looks like a standard shooter, which are always fun), but I don't see the X-COM resemblance.  

News Comments > Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad Rising Storm
4. Re: Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad Rising Storm May 18, 2010, 21:28 CannibalBob

Uh oh, is TWI turning into Blizzard where they announce new paid game content before the actual game is out yet?  

News Comments > Epic on Piracy and PCs
17. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 13:19 CannibalBob

I always shake my head when people discuss the "impact of piracy" - as if they know what the impact of piracy is. There's no way to accurately measure the impact of piracy on sales. Sure you can look at how many torrents were downloaded but how many of those downloads would have been sales? I've read that 10% is a reasonable amount but still, there is absolutely no way to know for sure.

Plus, we're talking about Epic here. They haven't released a blockbuster PC game in a long time. GoW on the PC is crap, and UT3 was (imo) good but simply didn't do anything new versus UT2004. Hell, they actually went a little *backwards* by not including Assault Mode.

You also have to consider the massive amount of games on the PC. Hell, people still play TRIBES, CS1.6 and Starcraft. Those games are 10+ years old! What PC game marketers need to do is constantly keep their game in the radar - don't release it, get your money in the first month and forget about it. Valve is doing a great job with this by constantly updating TF2 and hence makes it look appealing to anyone who doesn't have it - it also keeps people playing and keeps word-of-mouth going, too.

News Comments > Raven Hears the Call of Duty?
11. Re: Raven Hears the Call of Duty? May 13, 2010, 20:22 CannibalBob

Screw CoD - Make a Heretic 3 or Hexen 3, Raven!  

News Comments > Latin American StarCraft Pricing Details
12. Re: Latin American StarCraft Pricing Details May 7, 2010, 17:33 CannibalBob

Whoa! They're actually doing this? They're actually charging monthly for this kind of game?

Wow I'm kind of speechless here...

Everyone - seriously - **** this game, play something else. There are other RTS' out there. Play Company of Heroes, or Supreme Commander. Don't give these pieces of **** your money.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Patched
10. Re: Star Trek Online Patched Apr 30, 2010, 02:41 CannibalBob

Ya know, I quite enjoyed Cryptic's first MMO - City of Heroes/Villains (I started with COV). Sure, it's the same old grind that you see in every MMO, but it was just a fun and cool game. Combat, when it wasn't lagging, was enjoyable with the ragdolls and physics. The best part of the game is the characters - you can make all sorts of crazy-looking characters and it's pretty awesome when you see someone who makes you actually LOL. Last is that COV/COH has some really awesome mechanics that solve a few problems plaguing MMOs - one is the sidekick/lackey feature and the other is the mission Architect. The Sidekick/lackey feature literally means your level is flexible - group with someone of vastly different level than you and you can artificially change your level to match his. This means you can now earn XP, influence and have a challenge (eg not powerleveling) - this makes playing with friends much, much more enjoyable. Mission architect isn't great but the idea is - allow players to create their own dungeons, list them and allow players to play. A huge problem with MMOs is players run out of stuff to do and developers "solve" this by regurgitating old stuff either with higher difficulties, or have some ultra rare loot so you have to play it 100 times, or simply copy-paste new areas so they *seem* new but it's still the same crap (notice how you still fight boars in WoW, even at level 80).

Last but not least, Cryptic has been supporting CoV/CoH with *free* updates every few months for the past few years - actual content patches, too, like level cap updates, new skills/abilities, new areas and more. This is really rewarding for those who subscribe, since they actually see where their money's going. Again, this is unlike Blizzard, whose updates typically consist of bug and balance fixes as well as content for super-high level play (such as raids). For a normal player, this kind of sucks since you will not see this new content (you have a regular playing schedule) and the balance fixes won't affect you as much since you probably only have 1 or 2 toons.

What does this have to do with STO? Cryptic is a dedicated developer with some interesting ideas. This means eventually, maybe... just *maybe* STO will become good.

News Comments > ArenaNet: Guild Wars 2 an MMORPG
14. Re: ArenaNet: Guild Wars 2 an MMORPG Apr 28, 2010, 00:01 CannibalBob

It is comparable to MMORPGs, but I don't think A.net ever said it is one. They even say in the article that it is a CORPG, and I remember hearing stuff like that from them many, many years ago when GW was new.

I'm a huge fan of GW but honestly have not been keeping up with GW2 news (little as there is). I read this blog and wow, it sounds really great! I'm interested more in the story/decisions/consequences aspect of things, since that is what made GW so much more unique than MMORPGs (since all MMORPGs have 0 story).

Those 'world events' sounds like a great idea, too. Something happens and players go investigate, resulting in sort of ad-hoc groups. That's a great idea since questing alone is incredibly boring. I just wonder if that means you have to wander around, doing boring things, waiting for something interesting... or if it will have 'schedules' or triggers (eg. do a quest line and something big happens).

Also, I really hope they make leveling unimportant and fast. The worst thing in games like WoW were taking months to level so you can actually *begin* to start playing. Then you realize there's nothing at level 80 aside from re-doing everything on "heroic". lol.

News Comments > New Steam Client Released
23. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 26, 2010, 21:30 CannibalBob

I've been in the UI beta since the start and I love it. Just being able to type in the game so it selects it is worth it alone.  

News Comments > PC Left 4 Dead 2: The Passing Released
13. Re: PC Left 4 Dead 2: The Passing Released Apr 22, 2010, 21:04 CannibalBob

If you're having trouble downloading the DLC in Steam, click steam->settings->downloads and change your download region to somewhere european - like france or poland. Restart steam and it should start downloading.  

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Cracked?
33. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 12:13 CannibalBob

I believe Ubi's latest games have fared pretty well against 0-day piracy, which is no small feat.

But all this hubbub about the DRM isn't worth it imo.

Personally, I prefer Valve's method - battle piracy through proper distribution, pricing and extra features.
Online-only features should offer additional features like patches, new content (DLC), achievements and so on.

51 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo