Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1428 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

News Comments > Crytek Refutes Working Conditions Accusations
37. Re: Crytek Refutes Working Conditions Accusations Sep 5, 2011, 20:12 Slashman

Beamer wrote on Sep 5, 2011, 20:01:
Have you guys actually worked in other countries?
Yes, there are rules about certain workers, but anywhere I've been abroad has longer work days than we do. Hell, my company is based out of Italy, and the employees in that office do 10-12 hour days every single day. They put in much longer hours than those of us in the states.

Of course, a huge chunk of those hours involve standing around drinkning free cappacinos, and they get cars, and they get 10 euros per day in food allowances, and the entire place is full of fresh mozzarella that's insanely good whereas I can't even find any in this shitty state, but... wait, what was I saying?

We don't know...but don't let us stop you!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Crytek Refutes Working Conditions Accusations
32. Re: Crytek Refutes Working Conditions Accusations Sep 5, 2011, 19:19 Slashman

Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 5, 2011, 18:33:
The German economy is pretty strong. If they can do that with a 37 hour work week and 24 days (enforced) vacation then the USA is doing it wrong.

You'd think it would turn on a few light bulbs but...

I'm honestly glad I don't live or work in the USA. Some of the crap that they do to employees is insane. And of course the general policy seems to be: 'If you don't like it...we'll find someone else who does to replace you.'

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 4, 2011, 20:29 Slashman

Can people stop buying into the MW franchise now? There are other games that deserve your money so much more...

Stop validating Activision!!! Furious2

News Comments > No Bastion DLC Plans
11. Re: No Bastion DLC Plans Sep 4, 2011, 20:20 Slashman

I'm planning to get this.

Right now I'm just getting started on Sanctum(I likes me some FPS tower defense). I'd say this is a good year for indie devs and indie games.

I may need some kind of Singularity Time Manipulator to work everything in though... Juggle

What's Spacechem?

News Comments > On EVE Online and Dust 514
13. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 4, 2011, 12:32 Slashman

You realize, of course, that the problem with it making its way onto PCs later is the fact that it means PS3 folks fighting PC folks in a FPS. No good ever comes of this. Something would have to be gimped on the PC end to make it fair.  

10. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 3, 2011, 23:12 Slashman

Jonny wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 19:23:
As far as I understand the reasoning, they reckon that Eve players already play Eve so they've got a chunk of the PC market sewn up. Whereas they've got none of the console market so making it PS3 exclusive breaks them nicely into that. Essentially also that they fear a PC release would cannibalise Eve players away from their subscriptions.

Seems to be a ridiculous position to me. I've heard over and over again people who like the idea of Eve but find it's mechanics dry and it's slow burning nature frustrating. I'd be willing to bet there'd not only be every current Eve player buying a copy on the PC, but a ready made market of those who want in to the universe without the spreadsheets.

While I don't think every current EVE player might buy a copy, I think there would be a really big buzz in the PC market for the game if it is any good. I didn't know a lot of EVE players that were FPS players. Most of them either liked MMOs or preferred a game that didn't require constant attention. With the space combat in EVE not being the most exciting thing in the world, but the universe being so dynamic and rich, Dust would really meld the two dynamics and I suspect would be a lot easier to implement on PC rather than PS3(which is severely limited in comparison).

News Comments > Valve Games on Origin
36. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 19:30 Slashman

Soooo...Origin is still doing the US only sales thing and screwing people who live in other countries.

I can certainly see that they are no better than Steam. I mean, sure I can't recall an instance in recent times when a Steam sale has NOT applied to me just because I live in the Caribbean.

But hey, Stingingvelvet, come out here and preach more about how EA and Origin are no different from Valve and Steam. You know...just because you happen to live in a place that you don't get screwed by them.

6. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 3, 2011, 19:10 Slashman

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 18:16:
jacobvandy wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 16:33:
This HAS to come out on PC. Has to.

It's just baffling to me that it isn't.

Exactly. It makes zero sense. Why would console players(probably the very antithesis of EVE players) be attracted to a game that affects a universe that they can't even see be affected?

My only theory is that the game is such a simplified and uninteresting shooter, that only console gamers would buy it.

If this was coming for PC, it would seriously make me want to jump back into EVE. As it stands now, it just makes me scratch my head.

News Comments > Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month?
24. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 09:36 Slashman

And look...yet another Blizzard title that I won't be buying and feel no sense of loss from. Warcraft 3 was my last game purchased from them.  

News Comments > Uncut RAGE for Germany, DOOM and DOOM II No Longer Indexed
1. Re: Uncut RAGE for Germany, DOOM and DOOM II No Longer Indexed Aug 31, 2011, 13:37 Slashman

So yeah...DOOM and DOOM II. That didn't take long at all...  

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million
17. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 13:04 Slashman

Verno wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 12:35:
Sure but TWT had a console release too, I don't think TW2 has so far. Even assuming your game is total crap you can usually count on Wal-mart shoppers to move a bunch of units on the consoles.

Exactly this. PC gamers, for better or worse(I personally think it's better), are the picky buyers compared to console gamers. They will literally buy anything packaged up as a game.

Also, consider that TW2 has steeper system reqs than the first one. It isn't a Blizzard game. CD Projekt made their own engine and made it so that it thrives on a decent gaming rig. Lots of people still have sub-par gaming rigs. And incidentally they are fine because console ports don't tax your system much(unless they are badly done ports).

News Comments > No GFWL for Batman: Arkham City?
47. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham City? Aug 28, 2011, 20:36 Slashman

Stolk wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 19:32:
So, what does everyone here plan on doing when the PC dies? Slit wrist?

What do you plan on doing when it's still around more than a decade from now? Jump off bridge?

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Aug 28, 2011, 18:51 Slashman

Buy this game!!! It's totally worth it!!  

News Comments > No GFWL for Batman: Arkham City?
42. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham City? Aug 28, 2011, 11:47 Slashman

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 10:03:
Krovven wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 04:24:
El Pit wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 03:32:
If I could control the games on a PS3 or X360 with kb/m, I'd buy a console

Why would I waste money on a 360 when I can play the majority of those games on the PC with better graphics and still be using either kb/mouse or the 360 gamepad depending on the game?

Your reasoning is simply idiotic.

Sorry, Krovven, but I'd have to agree with El Pit on this. If a PC and an Xbox can run the exact same game, and, let's be honest here, it doesn't look all that different, why WOULDN'T I switch if I had a KBM option? The differences in visuals are minutae. And the advantage of playing in a bigger screen with a better sound system is very compelling.

The hardware is cheaper. The games can be sold/traded. There are far fewer bugs. I can rent a game before I buy it...or choose only to rent it for a once- through.

There are really only 2 things holding me back:

1. They don't have KBM controls.
2. Customized matchmaking such that I play people I want to.

And (1) leads (2) by far as (2) is more application dependent.

Right now I have both. I play probably 95% of my games on a PC, but I do enjoy Red Dead Redemption on my 360.

Just my $0.02

^D^

The thing is that with the Batman games, this whole argument is pointless.

Mouse and keyboard were excellent for the PC in the first game. In fact, I was doing combos and stuff that my console friend couldn't even with his gamepad. The controls are so simple that I'd say there is no advantage of one over the other. I owned using M/KB.

On PC the graphics are better, you'll have more options to tune the look of the game and you can choose your control scheme. You have no choices on the console. There is only the couch argument, which is really not that big of a deal if you have a modern PC. You can hook it up to your tv.

In general, I don't play fighting games or racing games. I won't argue that those are best played on a console. With fighting games...most of them don't get made for PC...so that is a big + for consoles right off the bat.

But for every game that gets ported to PC, if the port is decent, there is no way that a console beats it on any level unless the developers purposely gimped the PC.

Just Cause 2 is a perfect example of a console game that was vastly superior on the PC. Darksiders, IMO, was also great on the PC. There were no downsides to those games on PC. Controllers were fully supported, if you thought they were better, and mouse and keyboard worked very well.

In the end...it's not a matter of being a snob...to me it's just common sense.

News Comments > XCOM E3 2011 Playthrough - Changes Detailed
19. Re: XCOM E3 2011 Playthrough - Changes Detailed Aug 27, 2011, 14:14 Slashman

Prez wrote on Aug 27, 2011, 13:43:
It moves further away than Fallout 3 did, but that can be a good thing, especially as it isn't billing itself as a sequel, more a way to renew interest in a dead game.

For me it moves SO far away from X-Com that one has to stop and wonder why even bother linking it to such a beloved game? Really, it could be a great game, (the video showed some real character and vibrancy in the part where you walked through the base) but unless it is completely overhauled in the next 7 months before release, it just isn't going to be X-Com from what I can see.

Fallout 3 still ended up feeling like Fall-out because the only thing they changed was the view. This game changes the theme, the focus, the time period, the mechanics, the design, the art style - virtually every conceivable aspect. In the end, all using the X-Com name in this manner does is piss off the X-Com faithful and create a lot of unnecessary negative buzz. That's the last thing any new game needs.

I asked the same question of Dungeon Siege 3. With Fallout 3, it still felt like the Fallout universe, so I'm not faulting them for going with a FPS view. It's the complete lack of all things X-COM that make it baffling. Just use another name already!

News Comments > XCOM E3 2011 Playthrough - Changes Detailed
17. Re: XCOM E3 2011 Playthrough - Changes Detailed Aug 27, 2011, 13:35 Slashman

MattyC wrote on Aug 27, 2011, 13:23:
Beelzebud wrote on Aug 27, 2011, 13:12:
Fallout 3 still sucks compared to the original two.

I have always been on the fence on that. I don't want to say it sucked. I mean, I had a lot of fun with Fallout 3 and NV. That said it clearly wasn't a Fallout game. They should have called it "Oblivion II: Now with guns n stuff". It just wasn't anything like the first two.

I think that people always look at things from a skewed perspective when it comes to their favourite games of old. Of course, you have to also take into account the business perspective of the developers and publishers(as much as ignoring it would be preferable). If they did just reskin X-COM with a new 3d engine and kept everything else(unchanged) from the original, how successful would it be?

We always like to say that there are plenty of people who want to play a remastered X-COM, but how many is the plenty? If a publisher/developer doesn't think they'll make the money they are looking to make from a game...they are going to ignore it or change it to something they think will be an easier sell. FPS is an 'easy sell'.

News Comments > The Secret World Beta Signup and Business Model Details
6. Re: removed Aug 27, 2011, 09:34 Slashman

Frijoles wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 23:58:
After Conan, I wonder if they built some item shop stuff in to the code so on Day X, they can just flip a switch.

That was my thought as well. It was like: 'Hey there's an 80% chance we'll hit F2P in short order anyway...let's prep now!'

News Comments > Obsidian on RPG Design
19. Re: Obsidian on RPG Design Aug 22, 2011, 12:52 Slashman

I'm more in Jerykk's camp on this with the exception that I might allow a single respec per character with an appropriatly high cost depending on how far along you are in your character progression.

There shouldn't be any perfect way to beat an RPG, so as many paths as possible should be viable. I'm fine with some paths being closed off if I lack a certain skill while others are open to me because I have a different one.

Developers should endeavour to not have useless skills in RPGs in the first place.

Replayability isn't a bad thing. In an RPG it should pretty much be a given.

News Comments > The Baconing Looms
7. Re: The Baconing Looms Aug 19, 2011, 22:26 Slashman

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 17:41:
Anyone play the Deathspank games? Looking to get back to these types of games since I am skipping some of the AAA titles this fall.

This may be a bad time to skip AAA titles. Skyrim, Arkham City, Deus Ex:HR...

Just saying...

News Comments > Trine 2 Co-op Trailer
9. Re: Trine 2 Co-op Trailer Aug 19, 2011, 18:26 Slashman

Another game I need to get around to finishing! Brood  

1428 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo