Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1497 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
181. Re: id On RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 20:19 Slashman

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 8, 2011, 19:58:
Nah Carmack's just smart. He's going where the money is. While PC gamers prefer to steal their games and waste everyone's time making up all sorts of shit excuses for it, publishers are raking in the big dow selling to the much less piracy-crippled console market.
If people want shit to change then they need to go back to buying their PC games instead of stealing them. As is always the case with this sort of thing people expect other people to move first and in the end no one moves. Except the world. It keeps on turning and it's turning in favor of the stronger console markets.

I know exactly what the replies to my post will look like. There'll be the same tired ol' arguments in favor of piracy. Sure. Go ahead and let it all out.
But anyone arguing against what I stated above is only in denial of the truth. A truth that people like Carmack, Yerli, Muzyka & Zeschuk, and many other leading heads of former PC power houses have long realized.

Yeah...I'm thinking that Valve and CD Projeckt don't actually count for anything. Neither does Bioware's success with Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect on the PC.

I'd like someone to explain why some companies can seem to make a very tidy profit with PC focused development and others claim they can't.

I'm not justifying piracy...I'm just genuinely curious how you explain these companies and the success they have with their titles in an environment that is rife with piracy and no one is buying games anymore. Because by your logic...it should be impossible to make a decent profit from PC gaming.

I'm curious what your take is on companies that do well in the market. Are they cheating?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Prototype 2 Combat Trailer
6. Re: Prototype 2 Combat Trailer Oct 7, 2011, 17:43 Slashman

Jdrez wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 16:34:
I never finished the original. The insane military response once you got high profile made it far too difficult for me.

Not to mention the utter BS of still taking massive damage from gun fire and rockets while you are completely helpless because the canned animation of climbing onto a tank removes your control but doesn't protect you from fire. That was a deal breaker.

Or you just weren't very good at it?

I found once you knew the things that could kill you...you always had several options as to how to deal with them. I loved the combat and shape-shifting of the first game.

News Comments > RAGE Interview
79. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 17:45 Slashman

^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 16:26:

It's funny, but I was talking about this topic just the other day with one of the programmers I used to work with. We went on a tangent talking about the merits of making a new engine versus using an old one beyond the scope of design that it was limited to when it was written...take, for example, the Quake 3 or Doom3 engine: Today, those things are beasts even on a Netbook; you can add bigger textures, more geometric detail, higher bit depth to the color palettes, and really not suffer too much on a modern rig at all (barring some coding tweaks that may be required to allow them).

True. The Source engine continues to see a lot of use in the industry.

The short version? Given how far hardware has come, you can really make a great looking game with an engine that's long in the tooth yet still looks amazing BECAUSE of the hardware changes. The idTech5 engine is suffering not because it can't do some amazing things, but rather because some talented teams out there have come up with amazing ways to make older engines look almost as good.

Right here is where the problem is. The Witcher 2 is running a brand new engine that CD Projekt made from scratch. It isn't an old engine tweaked to look amazing despite its age.

That's exactly why I chose TW2 as my example and not Borderlands or Fallout:NV.

Now here's what I find amusing. id, according to what folks have been saying, isn't planning to license their idTech5 engine out. Just use it til they decide to release it as open source. What, then, is the point of making a game that runs more like their tech demo efforts of the past? Why not expand on all the things that they seem to setup in the game and then leave hanging?

Did it make sense to have the mediocre story, the not-really-open open world, the lack of meaningful choices etc.?

News Comments > RAGE Interview
77. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 16:09 Slashman

^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 15:41:
I'm basing it on the technical aspect. I fully agree that the PC release, in it's current state, is borderline inexcusable; be that the fault of id/Beth QA or a lack of timely driver support by nvidia/AMD. That just plain has to get fixed. Assuming that it does (and given the track record here, that's probably a safe assumption) I expect that the visual aspect of this engine will live up to expectations eventually in Rage.

Granted, I'm probably thinking of the things that bug me, like how one can see tiling in Fallout and other open vista games; something that isn't here. That bugs me as much as the toolbox textures are bothering you, but I do agree that Rage may not be the best vehicle to showcase those benefits in it's current state.

But, I have to admit, seeing the game actually run on my Ion2 Netbook kinda blew me away.

I dunno...I kind of think that The Witcher 2 looks better and I don't have everything turned up in it. The screenshots of RAGE that I have seen look OK, but they never particularly impressed me.

Back on the topic of the interview: I think that the thrust of the interview is that here is a game with so much potential that id never took advantage of.

What people seem to be saying is that it seems kind of pointless to build a world that expansive and not fill it with more interesting things to do and choices to make.

If id's stance is that this isn't an open world game with RPG elements and lots of exploration...why create a world that seems to scream that it is? That's almost sure to make people want the type of things that they are told they can't have.

News Comments > Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview
44. Re: Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview Oct 4, 2011, 21:46 Slashman

Sepharo wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 21:00:
Cram wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 20:11:
Attributes were fun for the first couple run throughs of the game when you were experiencing the content for the first time and no one had done the math on the best builds yet. They quickly became pointless, and something most people held on too. However, perhaps not so much in single player, a mode I have little/no experience with where you couldn't just go and find a game to get yourself rushed through difficult areas of the game in any mode while holding onto hundreds of attribute points. I have a feeling those who only played single player often didn't have the luxury of holding onto points to make the best mathematically built build. But single player is, unfortunately for some, gone and I believe it was a good idea taking attributes with it.

I only played single player, except for a few games with friends every now and then. The aspect of the game you just described is one I would NEVER want to experience.

If Diablo 3 isn't better than Titan Quest then I don't feel so bad skipping it.

Oh look...I think you just found yourself $60 dollars to spend elsewhere!

News Comments > Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview
12. Re: Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview Oct 4, 2011, 15:59 Slashman

Indeed it was nice writing, Blue may have a future in game reviews!

Also...this is a dumbed down game. I hate to use that term for a PC exclusive title from Blizzard...but that's what it is.

What was said earlier about replayability seems to be the case. The only thing to differentiate between you and another player with the same character are Runes and your equipment. That's rather sad. Extremely sad.

I still think it won't be a much better game than Titan Quest...which is truly a sad thing considering how long its taken!

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases
17. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 4, 2011, 15:42 Slashman

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 15:08:
I really don't think this game is anything like Plants vs Zombies. It is more like Sanctum, where you can build you tower defenses but you are in the action as a FPS game. Plants vs Zombies is like a 2D side scrolling tower defense game.

That's my take on it. Sanctum is the first thing that came to mind when I saw it.

Sanctum is a great game btw. They just released some very nice DLC for it that adds new maps and new towers. Some new free towers and the shotgun for free as well.

I'm a big fan of tower defense games where I can actively participate as the protagonist.

Just...need...to...get...through...these...exams...

12. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 4, 2011, 14:36 Slashman

Bucky wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 14:21:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 14:09:
Isn't each fortress actually made up of several levels? I got the impression that the demo was part of the first fortress and had a few levels from the start.

I don't think each individual level is a separate fort. Could be wrong, though.

Ah, if that's the case it's an instant purchase. Now I need to go find out.

If you find out...let me know! I'm really liking the looks of this game. Still enjoying Sanctum right now, in fact.

5. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 4, 2011, 12:54 Slashman

Yeah...I'm gonna be picking this up!  

News Comments > BioWare on Autonomy
21. Re: BioWare on Autonomy Oct 4, 2011, 08:55 Slashman

Well if what they are saying is actually true, then that's even more pathetic.

The over-saturation of DLC, the dumbing down of gameplay elements and the moving away from the things that made your reputation stellar in the first place. If this is all your doing, then you're an even bigger set of tools than I'd thought. If it wasn't EA, you have absolutely no defense against the things people have been saying.

The amusing part is that your original formula worked. It made you hugely successful. And DA:O proved that people weren't opposed to the old-school RPG elements that have always defined your games.

Contrary to what people may say, I'm fine with Mass Effect being the flagship console series for Bioware. Its still fun to play on PC and I'm not too concerned with it. But when you take the core of what made you a great developer and throw it away in favor of an 'awesome button', then I'm less inclined to trust you in any of your future releases.

News Comments > Activision Independent Games Competition
6. Re: Activision Independent Games Competition Oct 3, 2011, 14:29 Slashman

"an award program designed to foster innovation"

I see this line and then I start laughing because...well...this is Activision. Isn't innovation the last thing they want to reward?

I mean...they have Blizzard with WoW(no real innovation in the MMO genre since it launched). Then Starcraft 2(nothing new there either). Oh and Diablo 2(doesn't look much more interesting than Titan Quest...and you still can't even multiclass). I'm not even gonna mention CoD...

Activision just doesn't spring to mind when I think of innovation. Or of someone eager to foster and reward innovation.

News Comments > Multiplayer Mass Effect 3?
10. Re: Multiplayer Mass Effect 3? Oct 3, 2011, 12:31 Slashman

Acleacius wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 11:55:
InBlack wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 10:54:
Will it feature inovative 3d physics, like you know jumping???

I would dig that if my character could jump, it would make me really immersed in the game and everything, not to mention how the multiplayer would become even more interesting in three dimensions...
lmao

Btw this can't be real, can it? Having multiplayer in Collector Edition only, weird.

I bet if you don't buy the CE, then you'll e given the 'option' to purchase it as DLC at a later date. Fun for the whole family!!!!!!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 2, 2011, 21:28 Slashman

Go Witcher 2!!!  

News Comments > John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release
76. Re: John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release Oct 2, 2011, 09:45 Slashman

Dmitri_M wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 08:03:
Need to stem the migration from RPGCodex

That site is rather scary... Halloween

News Comments > John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release
56. Re: John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release Oct 2, 2011, 00:38 Slashman

wrlwnd wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 00:15:
Cutter wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 17:12:
Whore yourself some more why don't you, Johnny? Going to be playing on the 360 too while you're at it?

Get a life, moron.

Some of us (me) actually have both a gaming PC and a console, and have no problem with a game being (gasp!) released on both.

It's the content that matters, not the platform. Duh.

Not trying to defend Cutter here or anything but...seriously? 'It's the content that matters, not the platform?'

I mean...you think it doesn't matter when the quality of content is directly influenced by the obvious limitations of an old platform?

I don't have a beef with you owning both platforms...but you'd have to be living in some alternate dimension to believe that what we get from multiplatform games isn't diminished for the PC by the fact that the lead SKU for development is a console.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 "Killer New Feature" Coming
8. Re: Mass Effect 3 Oct 1, 2011, 19:15 Slashman

I really hope it's NOT multiplayer, and is something suitably benign like leaderboards.  

News Comments > The Witcher 2 2.0 Released
15. Re: The Witcher 2 2.0 Released Sep 30, 2011, 10:30 Slashman

I also noticed a weird lurching to my movements after this update which wasn't there before. The game used to run butter-smooth.

It only seems to happen when I'm moving and not if I pan the camera around my character.

News Comments > Skyrim Voice Cast Announced
25. Re: Skyrim Voice Cast Announced Sep 27, 2011, 13:19 Slashman

Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 12:14:
Heh.

When the last game came out people complained that there weren't enough voice actors and all the NPCs sounded the same and were poorly acted.

So now Bethesda hires pros and people are complaining that the voice actors are "too famous" or they should have spent their budget elsewhere.

Really, guys?

9_9

Well yeah, really! The opinions here are about as reliable as your ability to read and comprehend what people are actually saying.

Oblivion didn't have enough distinct voice actors. Too many NPC roles were shared by a single actor. The fame of the actors didn't matter in context of the problem. There were simply insufficient in number to suspend the disbelief of the player that he was in a world with many different individual characters. This was very apparent when you'd have instances of two different characters talking to each other using the same voice.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes
10. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Sep 27, 2011, 13:13 Slashman

Why is it that most news I hear about CD Projekt makes me go like this? Pleased And news I hear about say Bioware, Blizzard(Acti-slave edition) and EA makes me go like this? Wall

Also...Microsoft is most helpful to PC gaming by staying away from it! You just keep sticking to the Xbox like glue MS.

News Comments > Skyrim Voice Cast Announced
18. Re: Skyrim Voice Cast Announced Sep 27, 2011, 12:00 Slashman

Lobster wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 10:52:
Whenever I read one of these announcements I can't help but wonder, could they have found another VA who is not famous? One who is just as good but costs about 1% as much as a big name? Maybe spend that money on making the game better instead of sprucing up the box art?

Seriously, WHO is going to buy this game ONLY because they're a Christopher Plummer fan?

See The Witcher 2 for a great voice cast that hardly anyone knew. I'm pretty sure it saved CD Projekt a good deal of cash to go with less famous, but still talented, voice actors. But hey...more fodder for the marketing engine to churn through, right?

1497 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo