Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1500 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever DLC Next Week
17. Re: Duke Nukem Forever DLC Next Week Dec 10, 2011, 01:51 Slashman

PHJF wrote on Dec 9, 2011, 22:40:
I'll wait and get all the DLC with the "Game of the Year" edition!

If you aren't joking I'm coming to your house to beat you over the head with a Serious Sam engraved baseball bat.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Namco Bandai Wins Witcher 2 Lawsuit
8. Re: Namco Bandai Wins Witcher 2 Lawsuit Dec 9, 2011, 18:16 Slashman

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Dec 9, 2011, 16:22:
Next time PC only.
The consolation of the game just wasn't good for the franchise or game mechanics and play and look where it got them. Hoping to get in on console money and they just flushed it down the toilet.

Well I dislike consoles myself, but they at least did it 'right', or tried to, by porting from PC to console. That's not something that any company in recent memory has done.

It's either console to PC ports or supposed cross-platform development with PC suffering in almost every case(even when the port is excellent).

So I didn't mind it going to console...as long as PC continued to be the lead platform.

News Comments > X3: Albion Prelude Announced
35. Re: X3: Albion Prelude Announced Dec 9, 2011, 13:45 Slashman

You need to stop trying to compare Freelancer and X...they are completely different games. Freelancer isn't a space sim...it doesn't even let you use a flightstick.

Because Freelancer is something else...it HAS to rely on things like in-system chat and pre-canned formations etc. I'm not saying those are bad things, but they are not the core of what makes up X games.

X games are about setting your own goals and using the building blocks of the game to make them happen. They aren't RPGs, they aren't story-driven cinematic experiences.

In a very real sense...if they became too much of some of those things...they would lose some of the freedom they currently have.

If you want Freelancer...you can fire it up...but that's not a space sim. Window dressing is fine...but if all you have underneath is a shallow hole...it's not going to work as the type of games that X games are.

Also...there are wing formations in X3:TC...most people just don't bother using them.

Consider the fact that X games continue to thrive...while there hasn't been a Freelancer sequel...nor indeed another game attempting to recreate it. Maybe you're looking for something that Egosoft isn't trying to provide. But like I said...check the info for Rebirth...it looks a lot more promising...well for me anyway.

News Comments > Namco Bandai Wins Witcher 2 Lawsuit
5. Re: Namco Bandai Wins Witcher 2 Lawsuit Dec 9, 2011, 11:47 Slashman

So this essentially means that THQ cannot distribute Witcher 2 for Xbox?

I wonder how this will affect the release of the game overall on console...

33. Re: X3: Albion Prelude Announced Dec 9, 2011, 10:17 Slashman

@eRe4s3r

Just so we're on the same page, when you say the universe is empty...what it is empty of?

There are lots of sectors with ships going back and forth from station to station. There are civilian ships(like funeral services, maintenance services, hospital ships etc.) As I said before...they just don't announce their purpose unless you scan them for info.

I've come across UFOs(actual flying saucers). I've flown into sectors with dozens of ships going to and fro.

The things that I've not seen are mining vessels actually mining ore etc. and ships do not generally initiate contact with you, its true.

I think the X-Tended mod does a lot of that kind of stuff though.

Again...X games focus on providing building blocks. Up until Rebirth, they have not been about RPG elements or deep story etc.

And I agree that the economy only works up to the factory station level. NPC ships are spawned into the universe and shipyards do not need resources to produce ships.

If you read up on Rebirth, though...it seems like a lot of that will change.

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming
90. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 9, 2011, 03:15 Slashman

I'm going to tentatively agree that I have very few crashes like that.

One of the things I'm anal about is knowing every program that runs at startup on my PC. I frequently check to see if anything new is installed and stop it from running. That includes any messenger programs, Office, Groove Monitor etc.

The only things that run at startup for me are Steam, APC Powerchute UPS software, my CPU temperature/fan monitor and Daemon Tools(sometimes).

I don't use antivirus software...because I literally never get viruses. I don't open any email attachments that I cannot 100% verify are legit (and never any .exe files sent via email), use Facebook apps of any kind.

I do semi-frequent scans with Malwarebytes and a couple other anti-malware apps. I meticulously review and control what updates Windows downloads.

Apart from being slow to update to the newest video drivers, I don't get many game crashes that aren't usually a known game fault and awaiting a fix from the dev or community.

I also don't buy ATI video cards. I've gotten rather tired of watching people bang their heads in frustration every time a new game comes out and inevitably it runs more stable on nVidia hardware. Then comes the wait for new drivers or a patch that makes ATI stuff work.

I also routinely pull my system apart, clean it, change my thermal compound(on both my CPU and Video card) etc.

31. Re: X3: Albion Prelude Announced Dec 9, 2011, 00:10 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 22:40:
Its like x doesn't even try to do atmosphere. Huge universe, nothing in it but deco. It does look pretty, but in the end its all shallow masquerade. Behind those station masks is nothing but emptiness. Quite literally.. ;p Ever since i realized that the player is literally the ONLY thing that acts in X i dropped this game. I am not expecting miracles.. just something more than the bare simulation

Not all of that is quite true. The AI does act...you just don't see it unless you're paying attention or take some effort to look for it.

Xenon and Kha'ak sweep through sectors, Paranid and Split forces will attack Argon and Boron sectors. Stations will send out traders to buy goods etc. Pirates will sometimes wipe a sector of stations.

I'm not arguing that the aliveness of the universe doesn't jump out at you, but X games seem to have always been more about building blocks for you to pursue whatever end you want rather than atmosphere.

And in all fairness...there are a huge number of mods out there that address most of the issues people bring up.

The games all have a steep learning curve and require a fair bit of patience to get things done. It's just the way they have always been. Terran Conflict does have some story missions that have you doing things like spying(planting trackers on enemy ships and stations) etc. but they don't form the heart of the game.

Rebirth seems set to address most of these issues though. I can't comment on in-system radio chatter...but they have redesigned the sectors and travel(it actually uses a highway system now).

Stations now all have visible production going on and much more activity. You also now have a crew on your ship and can hire/fire personnel to manage your assets etc.

It will be interesting to see how it all comes together...still a lot of unanswered questions about Rebirth. I hope they release new info soon.

55. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 8, 2011, 12:39 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 12:27:
Complaining that the game does not work on hardware running outside its default spec? People actually do this?

So Skyrim's official minimum CPU requirement is a 4 GHz CPU? Please. The game was designed for X360. No port should ever require a 4 GHz CPU as the consoles are using 6-year-old hardware. As I mentioned earlier, the inconsistent results seem to suggest that clock speed isn't the only issue here. It may also boil down to CPU type. The only other player in this thread with a C2Q also mentioned having the same performance issues as myself. The patch itself claims to have optimized performance for C2D CPUs. I'm not sure what further evidence you need that the game does not perform equally on all CPUs, even ones running at the same clock speed.

If you can run the game without issue, that's great. Good for you. It doesn't mean that your experience is universal, nor does it mean that people suffering issues have insufficient hardware. The game is very clearly CPU-bound. I tried dropping the resolution down to 720p and disabling AA and AF and I got no performance boost. In fact, lowering the detail settings made no difference, except for shadows and object draw distance. I got a significant boost dropping shadows from Ultra to High (but a negligible boost dropping from High to Low) and dropping object draw distance from max to min. Those are the only settings that made any difference. I get better performance in Witcher 2 and graphically, that game is significantly more demanding than Skyrim.

Just out of curiousity, when you say you get bad performance in towns...do you mean less than 30FPS? I'm asking because you mentioned running well followed by 60FPS.

17. Re: X3: Albion Prelude Announced Dec 8, 2011, 12:35 Slashman

Creston wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 11:46:
Bhruic wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 22:51:
Very interesting. I think I still have an old TC save lying around where I've got some kick-ass ships.

Hmm, the line: "It is important to note that X3: Albion Prelude will NOT feature savegame compatibility with X3: Terran Conflict." makes me think that you can't import games. Although they did word that rather ambiguously, they could just mean that you can't back-port the saves.

That's a good point, actually. I just took it to mean you can't backport saves, but maybe you can't import either.

Oh well, it doesn't take that long to get a kick-ass ship.

Creston

Or they may surprise you and make it harder. They mention new missions and (presumably) new mission types.

Also...there will be full scale war going on so it might mean that you can't relax quite as much as you could in TC. Well that's my hope anyway.

8. Re: X3: Albion Prelude Announced Dec 7, 2011, 23:44 Slashman

Wildone wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 23:13:
It didn't say if its using the new engine or old? I don't wanna bother with the old anymore

It requires an installation of Terran Conflict so I'm guessing it uses that engine. If you want the new engine, you'll need to wait for Rebirth to be released.

5. Re: X3: Albion Prelude Announced Dec 7, 2011, 22:37 Slashman

Wildone wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 22:30:
Wtf is this, DLC before the real game comes out? Is this using the new game engine or the old one? what is this

Calm down dude. Read it properly and watch the trailer.

It's a lead-in to the new story for Rebirth. And it's free if you have the X Superbox.

7. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 22:03 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 21:47:
Is this the patch that makes towns not run like ass if you don't have a 4+ GHz CPU?

That's an actual real issue?

Man...I'm beginning to feel better about holding off getting it now...

2. Re: X3: Albion Prelude Announced Dec 7, 2011, 21:57 Slashman

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 20:59:
NO NO NO NO, come out in 2 months, I'll have time to actually play it and get into it!

MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

Wait...why am I laughing??? I'm in the exact same position of not having enough time to play all the game I have... Sweatdrop

News Comments > Arkham City Skin Pack Released
14. Re: Arkham City Skin Pack Released Dec 7, 2011, 13:49 Slashman

nin wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 10:11:
If I was still playing this, I might be interested in the Dark Knight one. But yeah, $5?

Still think Asylum was better.

How was Asylum better exactly?

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Interview
12. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 19:06 Slashman

Yakubs wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 17:46:
Gotta love gaming activists. Keep fighting the good fight against big bad Blizzard, guys.

Don't worry too much. We'll always have sheep like you that will buy whatever they crap out regardless of the product!! You're a REAL hero!

News Comments > The Darkness II Co-op Detailed
4. Re: The Darkness II Co-op Detailed Dec 6, 2011, 14:25 Slashman

Why would one need co-op in a game like this?

From what I recall...the source material is about a lone guy up against his former mob mates right?

News Comments > EA's Command & Conquer Domain Spree
32. Re: EA's Command & Conquer Domain Spree Dec 5, 2011, 17:33 Slashman

I've always felt like TA and Sup Com(1) were a separate type of RTS than C&C Generals, Red Alert and standard C&C.

SC was a different kettle of fish too. So was Warhammer 40k(the first one...can't stand DOW 2).

TA and Sup Com were not that exciting for me...too large scale and kind of boring.

Generals and RA were more immediate action and somehow more satisfying.

I played the hell out of SC and Brood War but have no plans to touch SC2.

DoW is still my RTS of choice up to now. I love the racial variety and brutality of the combat. My only beef with it is lack of true flying units and that you can't zoom out as far as I'd like.

24. Re: EA's Command & Conquer Domain Spree Dec 5, 2011, 13:22 Slashman

Beamer wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 09:34:
Slashman wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 08:33:
Beamer wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 08:11:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 4, 2011, 19:45:
The C&C series would be in a much better spot if EA hadn't shoved one out the door every year.

C&C Pre-EA:

C&C Post-EA

Nothing really changed as far as release schedule after EA picked them up.

Does that list include Red Alert and Generals titles too?

Yes, but not expansions or Renegade. Can't remember if I included Sole Survivor.

I was never a real C&C fan. I thought Warcraft 2 was far better, then moved to Total Annihilation, then decided I no longer found RTS games even slightly entertaining.

I tried Generals, but it felt too zoomed in (which made no sense as it was 3D) and too bland. Plus, as I mentioned, I just wasn't into RTS games by that point.

Wow...can't recall the last time I came across someone who thought Generals was bad...especially after Zero Hour.

20. Re: EA's Command & Conquer Domain Spree Dec 5, 2011, 08:33 Slashman

Beamer wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 08:11:
The C&C series would be in a much better spot if EA hadn't shoved one out the door every year.

C&C Pre-EA:

C&C Post-EA

Nothing really changed as far as release schedule after EA picked them up.

Does that list include Red Alert and Generals titles too?

10. Re: EA's Command & Conquer Domain Spree Dec 4, 2011, 19:51 Slashman

As would the Dragon Age series if they hadn't started that trend with it.

1500 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo