Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1602 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced
28. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 18:17 Slashman

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 18:07:
There's no reason for them to do a Kickstarter... Funding is not a problem for them, Vostok Games looks like it's basically a subsidiary of Vostok Ventures, Ltd., the Ukranian capital firm that is footing the bill for this new project. They've stated repeatedly that funding for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 was not a problem, but Sergiy Grigorovich, founder of GSC Game World, decided to shut down the studio for whatever reason and wouldn't license the rights to the IP or content they had been working on.

So we find and kill him then? Sounds easy enough...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced
11. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 15:11 Slashman

AnointedSword wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 14:24:
You will see a day where online catches up. The bottom line is, most people do not want to be alone;) They would rather get together with family and friends and hang out. This applies to virtual worlds as well.

What the hell are you talking about? What does being alone have to do with playing a single player game?

Most people want to play good games. The reason so many people are drawn to multiplayer games now, is in part, because making a decent single player game seems to be an artform that not many have mastered anymore.

I sometimes want to play multiplayer games(DotA 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike). I sometimes want to play single player games(Portal, Skyrim, X3, The Witcher 2). I might even sometimes want to play the multiplayer aspect of games with both single and multiplayer(Sanctum, Serious Sam 3, Starcraft).

What I don't need is every single game to come out as an 'MMO' with mandatory online and a gameworld that I have to share with people I don't give a rat's ass about. Oh and let's tack an item shop onto that so I can buy pretty outfits and 'I win' weapons and armor.

The height of stupid is telling people what they enjoy. Apparently I'm eccentric because I don't need to define my enjoyment of a game by the fact that I played it with friends or family. What a bunch of crap.

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind and Demo Released
2. Re: A Valley Without Wind and Demo Released Apr 24, 2012, 23:10 Slashman

The concept sounds great...but I really can do without another 2d side scroller. I'd be happy to see something like that in a fully 3d game world. Graphics don't have to be amazing...but serviceable enough to not hurt the eyes.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 22, 2012, 21:12 Slashman

netnerd85 wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 20:51:
Slashman wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 13:24:
Personally, I'd like to see #10 off the list permanently.
Someone needs to contact Gabe and tell him to remove it from the steam store rotating banner! So annoying seeing that horrible banner.

I have a hunch that what goes on that banner is determined by popularity. And it seems people like shallow, regurgitated shooters.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 22, 2012, 19:35 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 19:04:
Slashman wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 13:24:
Efflixi wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 12:35:
So nice to see some really good games up there. So sick of all the crap cheap games always coming out on top. In particular the top 3 pleases the hell out of me.

You mean Call of Poopy: Modern Poopfare 3?

Exactly. I keep wondering who the hell is even still buying that now.

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 22, 2012, 15:29 Slashman

nin wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 13:59:
Glad Grimrock continues its reign. And damn, skyrim still hanging in there...

Skyrim will never die...wait til the first mini-expansion/DLC comes out. It will be first place all over again.

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 22, 2012, 13:24 Slashman

Efflixi wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 12:35:
So nice to see some really good games up there. So sick of all the crap cheap games always coming out on top. In particular the top 3 pleases the hell out of me.

News Comments > Leaked Valve Employee Handbook?
3. Re: Leaked Valve Employee Handbook? Apr 21, 2012, 14:13 Slashman

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 13:47:

Edit: holy shit no wonder nothing ever ships.

Yeah...except that it does ship. They just haven't shipped the one game you want them to.

News Comments > PROTOTYPE 2 The Power of Revenge Trailer
9. Re: PROTOTYPE 2 The Power of Revenge Trailer Apr 15, 2012, 13:03 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 21:10:
I love how Activision never shows any indication that their games will be released on PC. They did the same thing for Wolfenstein and Singularity. Probably did it for the first Prototype as well.

They only care about the PC when Blizzard is involved.

I did like the first Prototype though, so I'm interested in this for sure...mediocre trailer notwithstanding.

News Comments > Steam to 10
28. Re: Steam to 10 Apr 9, 2012, 21:39 Slashman

I'm not sure how one could play Oblivion and call the Skyrim combat boring. I'd call it simplistic to a certain degree, but there are difficulty settings for that as well as several mods that could help.

If you are a mage I'd recommend this to start. And then this.

For melee combat..try this.

Honestly, I find the combat system to be pretty decent in 3rd person. I can't imagine that it would as much fun in 1st person, but that's my personal preferences talking.

Oh...and if you are a dual wielder...try this. It allows you to block with a bound key while using two weapons.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Apr 9, 2012, 21:21 Slashman

To be fair to SOL, the dev team have done a lot of patching and have addressed a lot of stuff that people criticized in reviews. Take a look at the update notes on the Steam page.

It won't change review scores...but the game may be a lot more tolerable to play now. I'm currently holding off because I'm filled up on space sim games with Albion Prelude and Wing Commander Saga. I may get around to SOL eventually though.

News Comments > Epic Making PC Exclusive Game
91. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 13:13 Slashman

Kajetan wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 11:17:

And thats the main problem the majors have nowadays. Budgets are exploding, marketing costs are going through the roof, revenue has to be bigger every year, which requires even MORE marketing. These companies are simply too big. They CANNOT produce games with less money anymore.

That would be valid if the money was going to the development costs of the game instead of buying reviews and 4-page magazine spots.

I'm not saying AAA games should disappear altogether, I'm saying that only doing AAA games is insane. Bigger earning doesn't mean anything if its accompanied by bigger marketing and dev costs.

Something will eventually give. Making the same game with 'AAA' production every year can't work for everyone.

80. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 10:23 Slashman

The thing is that publishers and large developers have no urge to diversify their portfolios.

Instead of using that huge budget to make 3 or 4 titles of different genres/IPs, they instead pour everything into a single game and 'bet' on AAA status selling their product.

A game is either so huge, that it demands a gargantuan marketing budget or so small that it is a dumbed-down casual game. No one is interested in the middle ground and the thought that maybe having 3 or four unique titles, each earning from different market segments might be less of a strain than nothing but 'blockbuster' AAAs.

There is a huge amount that can be done with a moderate budget. If the Witcher 2 can get made for around 35 million, why the hell are companies pouring 100 million into a game that may or may not sell well based on nothing but the 'AAA' nametag?

13. Re: Steam to 10 Apr 9, 2012, 02:06 Slashman

Prez wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 01:45:
need to curtail the "buy it cause it is on sale" habit I have formed....

Yes you do. Now, if you wish, you can use me for an example of... uh, never mind. Wacky

No, really. Please continue... Popcorn

31. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 8, 2012, 18:46 Slashman

"it killed a lot of great independent developers and completely changed our business model."

Are these the same independent developers who are pretty much making all their money from PC games nowadays? How do they do that?

4. Re: Steam to 10 Apr 8, 2012, 18:40 Slashman

How is Skyrim still doing this???

I mean...I do have a couple hundred hours in the game but...doesn't everyone have it by now???

News Comments > Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Beta This Week
2. Re: Yay! Apr 4, 2012, 10:37 Slashman

Never played the original but this got my attention when I first saw news about it here on Blues.

I'm jazzed for a good RTS game with interesting units and gameplay.

News Comments > Gods & Heroes Changes
14. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Apr 1, 2012, 10:59 Slashman

wtf_man wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 10:39:
Prez wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 00:11:
Thanks for that link too... WOW! To say the market is over-saturated is a massive understatement.

To be fair.. some on that list are canceled / dead. Clicking the "Released" link near the top would be more accurate. There's still a ton.

Also to be fair... a majority of them are Asian PvP grind/gank fests with micro-transactions.

Well yeah...but I also know of several that aren't even on that list so its still a stupidly saturated market.

I guess a lot of developers don't want the hassle challenge of making a real game with a decent single-player story and content. Crapping out a shoddy MMO is the path to 'easy money'.

News Comments > Gods & Heroes Changes
4. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Mar 31, 2012, 15:08 Slashman

I don't get why developers are even still jumping into this market.

Unless you've made a successful subscription-based MMO before, the odds of you making one now are miniscule.

There is so much room in the game development market and everyone wants to do generic fantasy MMOs.

News Comments > Mistborn Announced
12. Re: Mistborn Announced Mar 28, 2012, 18:08 Slashman

Necrophob wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 17:53:
I started reading the Wheel series back in '98 or so, got to book 8, and lost interest. I've picked them up again on my Kindle and am slogging through. The guy knew how to stretch out events that should have taken a few chapters, into multiple books.

Do Sanderson's Wheel of Time books have less mentions of bosoms, pony tail yanking, dress smoothing, and gender stereo types? And do they not build up a plot all through a book only to end the book with an out of no where fight with one of the Forsaken?

I haven't personally gotten to read Sanderson's entries yet, but I have a friend who is a certified Jordan addict and he's told me that most of the annoying long descriptions of how many petticoats women are wearing are pretty much gone. Sanderson seems to get to the heart of matters better than Jordan(although since he's using Jordan's notes, maybe he Jordan was just BSing us for 4 books to see how much he could milk it).

In any case, a lot of stuff that should have happened a while ago has happened according to my friend, so it might be worth giving it a look.

1602 Comments. 81 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo