Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1591 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Epic Making PC Exclusive Game
91. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 13:13 Slashman

Kajetan wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 11:17:

And thats the main problem the majors have nowadays. Budgets are exploding, marketing costs are going through the roof, revenue has to be bigger every year, which requires even MORE marketing. These companies are simply too big. They CANNOT produce games with less money anymore.

That would be valid if the money was going to the development costs of the game instead of buying reviews and 4-page magazine spots.

I'm not saying AAA games should disappear altogether, I'm saying that only doing AAA games is insane. Bigger earning doesn't mean anything if its accompanied by bigger marketing and dev costs.

Something will eventually give. Making the same game with 'AAA' production every year can't work for everyone.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

80. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 10:23 Slashman

The thing is that publishers and large developers have no urge to diversify their portfolios.

Instead of using that huge budget to make 3 or 4 titles of different genres/IPs, they instead pour everything into a single game and 'bet' on AAA status selling their product.

A game is either so huge, that it demands a gargantuan marketing budget or so small that it is a dumbed-down casual game. No one is interested in the middle ground and the thought that maybe having 3 or four unique titles, each earning from different market segments might be less of a strain than nothing but 'blockbuster' AAAs.

There is a huge amount that can be done with a moderate budget. If the Witcher 2 can get made for around 35 million, why the hell are companies pouring 100 million into a game that may or may not sell well based on nothing but the 'AAA' nametag?

News Comments > Steam to 10
13. Re: Steam to 10 Apr 9, 2012, 02:06 Slashman

Prez wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 01:45:
need to curtail the "buy it cause it is on sale" habit I have formed....

Yes you do. Now, if you wish, you can use me for an example of... uh, never mind. Wacky

No, really. Please continue... Popcorn

31. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 8, 2012, 18:46 Slashman

"it killed a lot of great independent developers and completely changed our business model."

Are these the same independent developers who are pretty much making all their money from PC games nowadays? How do they do that?

News Comments > Steam to 10
4. Re: Steam to 10 Apr 8, 2012, 18:40 Slashman

How is Skyrim still doing this???

I mean...I do have a couple hundred hours in the game but...doesn't everyone have it by now???

News Comments > Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Beta This Week
2. Re: Yay! Apr 4, 2012, 10:37 Slashman

Never played the original but this got my attention when I first saw news about it here on Blues.

I'm jazzed for a good RTS game with interesting units and gameplay.

News Comments > Gods & Heroes Changes
14. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Apr 1, 2012, 10:59 Slashman

wtf_man wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 10:39:
Prez wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 00:11:
Thanks for that link too... WOW! To say the market is over-saturated is a massive understatement.

To be fair.. some on that list are canceled / dead. Clicking the "Released" link near the top would be more accurate. There's still a ton.

Also to be fair... a majority of them are Asian PvP grind/gank fests with micro-transactions.

Well yeah...but I also know of several that aren't even on that list so its still a stupidly saturated market.

I guess a lot of developers don't want the hassle challenge of making a real game with a decent single-player story and content. Crapping out a shoddy MMO is the path to 'easy money'.

News Comments > Gods & Heroes Changes
4. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Mar 31, 2012, 15:08 Slashman

I don't get why developers are even still jumping into this market.

Unless you've made a successful subscription-based MMO before, the odds of you making one now are miniscule.

There is so much room in the game development market and everyone wants to do generic fantasy MMOs.

News Comments > Mistborn Announced
12. Re: Mistborn Announced Mar 28, 2012, 18:08 Slashman

Necrophob wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 17:53:
I started reading the Wheel series back in '98 or so, got to book 8, and lost interest. I've picked them up again on my Kindle and am slogging through. The guy knew how to stretch out events that should have taken a few chapters, into multiple books.

Do Sanderson's Wheel of Time books have less mentions of bosoms, pony tail yanking, dress smoothing, and gender stereo types? And do they not build up a plot all through a book only to end the book with an out of no where fight with one of the Forsaken?

I haven't personally gotten to read Sanderson's entries yet, but I have a friend who is a certified Jordan addict and he's told me that most of the annoying long descriptions of how many petticoats women are wearing are pretty much gone. Sanderson seems to get to the heart of matters better than Jordan(although since he's using Jordan's notes, maybe he Jordan was just BSing us for 4 books to see how much he could milk it).

In any case, a lot of stuff that should have happened a while ago has happened according to my friend, so it might be worth giving it a look.

News Comments > Mistborn Announced
9. Re: Mistborn Announced Mar 28, 2012, 17:47 Slashman

Sanderson is the one finishing Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series and from most accounts he's a bit better at it than Jordan.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 26, 2012, 17:39 Slashman

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 04:41:
I am actually enjoying the xbox version................................

Sorry...you lost me when you said you were playing it on a console. Stunned

News Comments > Anno 2070 Patch
2. Re: Anno 2070 Patch Mar 26, 2012, 12:44 Slashman

Quboid wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 11:29:
But they don't fix the bug that everyone cares about.

That's because it's a feature.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found
5. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 24, 2012, 00:40 Slashman

Dev wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 21:56:
My guess is it could take almost a month to get certified by MS.

They could bypass that and just release the PC one right now as a beta, let the customers beta test it.

MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Surely you jest...

News Comments > Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn Dawns
9. Re: Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn Dawns Mar 22, 2012, 18:15 Slashman

Is this a stand-alone release or do you need Freespace installed to play it?  

News Comments > Vanguard Going Free-to-Play
7. Re: Vanguard Going Free-to-Play Mar 22, 2012, 14:03 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 13:14:
This game could have been so good! Anyway, I'll give it a whirl when it's F2P. I seem to recall I enjoyed the bard class a lot in this game.

The concept of the game was very promising...it just suffered from moronic management and a troubled development team.

News Comments > Dragon Age II "Exalted March" Expansion Cancelled
54. Re: Dragon Age II Mar 20, 2012, 15:50 Slashman

descender wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 14:27:
ME2 was a joke, but everyone kept their bioware blinders on and refused to criticize it's ridiculously boring gameplay... then DA2 was terrible...

I didn't think ME2 was a joke or particularly boring. It may have been too streamlined in places, but I thought it was a decently fun game. I kind of looked at it as an interlude between the first ME game and the grand conclusion.

I figured they were just getting things setup for an unforgettable finish...oh well.

In any case, I thought ME 2 was leaning in the right direction with better combat and less ridiculous inventories full of junk. Even if it didn't advance the main plot much, I felt that was OK because we all knew there was going to be a final game where everything got squared away.

News Comments > PC Binary Domain Next Month
19. Re: PC Binary Domain Next Month Mar 20, 2012, 10:24 Slashman

ItBurn wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 09:49:
Skyrim does this well where you can toggle turd person in order to see how awesome you look. Except that they force turd person when you're on a horse, or when you sit on a chair and other things, which harms the immersion a little bit more.

'Turd Person' I'm sure you spent a while coming up with that...

I play Skyrim in 3rd person exclusively. If it's a fantasy game and not a shooter, then I prefer to see my character doing stuff rather than just his/her hands.

News Comments > Dragon Age Entering "Next Phase"
46. Re: Dragon Age Entering Mar 20, 2012, 09:21 Slashman

everyone wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 09:06:
Not great, but promising. It showed that a more traditional style of RPG may still sell amongst all your CODs, GOWs, and WOWs. But rather than weed out the crap and expand on what it did well for the sequel, they stripped out all it did right, kept all it got wrong and added a lot more wrongness on top.

It's kinda like they cooked up a hearty suck-stew and the secret ingredient was crap-berries. mmmmMMMMM good!!!!

News Comments > PC Binary Domain Next Month
14. Re: PC Binary Domain Next Month Mar 20, 2012, 08:41 Slashman

Joss wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 20:32:
I avoid third-person shooters like the plague. I've skipped over some popular titles for this singular reason. It's first-person or bust godamnit!

So I guess you skipped over Just Cause 2?

This just seems like a silly justification for skipping over a game...but hey, to each his own.

If a game is a decent game, I'll play it, first or 3rd person as long as the gameplay lends itself well to its chosen perspective.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Trailer
7. Re: The Witcher 2 Trailer Mar 19, 2012, 17:39 Slashman

Holding off on my second playthrough until the enhanced edition comes out!!!  

1591 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo