Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1546 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > DMS ♥s Steam
18. Re: DMS &#9829;s Steam Feb 23, 2012, 14:06 Slashman

Bhruic wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 12:26:
Shift 2 Unleashed
Steam: $19.99
Origin: $19.99

Shank
Steam: $9.99
Origin: $9.99

The Sims 3
Steam: $29.99
Origin: $29.99

FIFA Manager 11
Steam: $29.99
Origin: $39.99

So ok, there's one. Apparently you guys get shafted in the UK, but in NA, the prices are virtually identical for all games.

Not just in the UK. I'm in the Caribbean and I get the apparently UK shaft. I don't get that on Steam.

Having all be rosy in the US does not mean that it is rosy everywhere. Also...I don't benefit from Origin sales. When there is a sale and someone on Blues points me to it on Origin...I don't get offered the sale price. I never get that crap happening with Steam.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DMS ♥s Steam
11. Re: DMS &#9829;s Steam Feb 23, 2012, 12:14 Slashman

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 10:29:
Blah blah blah Steam saved PC gaming that was never going anywhere in the first place, Valve is the bestest ever and in the same breath folks being dishonest about EA's prices which are equal or lower in some repects.

Same ol putting certain publishers on a pedastal while blasting others. Gamers on the whole make no sense to me.

I've never benefited from a sale on Origin. Everytime someone says there is a sale there I go and find that it doesn't apply to me. I've yet to find a Steam sale that I wasn't able to take advantage of unless the product wasn't available for my region specifically.

So I'm sorry...but Origin has proven to be pretty shitty for me. Segmenting sales based on regions is crap. Something is either on sale or its not.

Actually right now they have Orcs Must Die for 13.99 Euros while Steam has it for 14.99 US dollars. Yeah...I'm loving the good deals on Origin.

News Comments > Sins of a Dark Age Announced
31. Re: Sins of a Dark Age Announced Feb 22, 2012, 08:43 Slashman

Blair Fraser wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 21:57:
Slashman, our data shows that the majority of $ is made in aesthetics (even for strategy games). People purchase the other type of content to trade money for time in order to access alternate experiences even though they are perfectly balanced in power.

Since I don't know where your research came from I can't exactly argue, but I wonder if you are not looking at MMOs and relating them to your game.

Aesthetics would be a selling point for some, but I'm a bit skeptical that having your purchasable commanders and champions no more powerful than the free stuff is going to drive sales.

I think that like all F2P games, it will start out balanced, but as time goes on and you add content, the stuff you add will simply be better than the stuff you started with(both the free and buyable items).

News Comments > Sins of a Dark Age Announced
15. Re: Sins of a Dark Age Announced Feb 21, 2012, 21:42 Slashman

Blair Fraser wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 20:47:
Jaguar I completely agree. We've tried out best to wipe those three main concerns out. No buying power, no pushy pushy etc. In addition, we are focusing on not having to grind to unlock the fun stuff. E.g a given faction's units are all available right off the bat - not need to grind to unlock the anti-cavalary unit or what have you.

If that is truly the case, then why go F2P at all? Usually F2P means that there is stuff that will separate people who buy from people who just choose to play your game for countless hours without paying.

What would compel people to purchase anything? Aesthetics is more appealing for MMORPG type people than competitive multiplayer types(at least I always thought so).

If your purchasable commanders or champions are so very well balanced against the free stuff and can be unlocked anyway, why would someone buy content?

News Comments > Karateka Remake This Year
16. Re: Question: Feb 18, 2012, 20:20 Slashman

Ant wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 19:19:
Slashman wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 18:32:
*sigh*

I had forgotten the original box art. It actually still pisses me off!

This is in feudal Japan and the warlord is Japanese...but the princess and the hero are both blondes. Wall2
Jordan said it in Wired's interview:

“Honestly, I would do it with an Asian cast ... The reason the characters had white hair in the Apple II original is because it was the only color that would stand out against the black background. It didn’t really make sense to have blondes in 16th-century Japan...”

It was a design problem so I guess the cover artist did based on that computers' limitations.

That's a convenient answer, but the problem is that the facial features of the hero and princess aren't oriental either. If they had even slightly Japanese looking features with the blonde hair I could forgive it...plenty of Japanese men and women dye their hair...you still won't mistake them for caucasians when you see them. The warlord on the box art had oriental features

13. Re: Question: Feb 18, 2012, 18:32 Slashman

*sigh*

I had forgotten the original box art. It actually still pisses me off!

This is in feudal Japan and the warlord is Japanese...but the princess and the hero are both blondes. Wall2

3. Re: Karateka Remake This Year Feb 18, 2012, 14:40 Slashman

Man I remember playing this on the Commodore 64 way back in the day. Had a real blast with it. I'd love to see it remade. Of course there is no mention of a PC version...which pisses me off. Annoyed  

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! Mod Support
6. Re: Orcs Must Die! Mod Support Feb 16, 2012, 07:36 Slashman

LightAssassin wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 05:59:
Was interested in it until I found about no co-op... makes the game point less to me.

Yeah because no action game can possibly be fun or entertaining without co-op. Rolleyes

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 12, 2012, 23:00 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 22:56:
The side quests are just like any other RPG. They all are fetch quest. I'm still waiting for the first RPG where the NPC's are lazy and cowards.

All RPG quests ultimately boil down to fetching, delivering or killing stuff. However, you can make these tasks more engaging by adding interesting characters, branching paths, ambiguous moral choices, compelling backstory, etc. KOAR doesn't really do this.

Yeah...this is looking like a $10 sale purchase. Absolutely no reason to pay full price for something like that.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 12, 2012, 18:29 Slashman

Dang...I'm surprised that there are still people who don't own Skyrim yet...not to mention enough of them to keep it in the top sellers week after week.  

News Comments > Steam Downtime [Updated]
11. Re: Steam Downtime Feb 12, 2012, 18:27 Slashman

Only noticed when I exited one game and clicked on Store by mistake instead of library.  

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit
128. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 11, 2012, 23:30 Slashman

DanteUK wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 18:54:
Hate to bring the thread back on topic but ...

Anyone else get 4/5 times more Crash-To-Desktop than before the Patch/HD DLC ?

I rolled back all the mods, updated my video drivers but still I'm getting CTD's every 10 minutes or so.
If I disable the HD update using the nexas mod manager thingy then I can play for 20-30minutes before I get a CTD.

Really annoying as before the last patches I'd played just over a 100 hours with only maybe 2 or 3 CTD's a week.

Only thing I've read on other forums is dropping sound quality in windows to 44 from 48 helps. I tried that, didn't help.

Have you tried removing and installing the latest SKSE loader...if you're using SkyUI, that is?

News Comments > Syndicate Voice Talent Revealed
8. Re: Syndicate Voice Talent Revealed Feb 11, 2012, 12:18 Slashman

panbient wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 07:48:
Does anyone else read current PR releases about 'celebrity' voice actors being involved in a game production and immediately get flashbacks to the mid-90s and its misguided belief in how much better games would be due to the presence of 'celebrity' actors within their FMV clips?

Whaaat? You mean the games didn't get better with big name Hollywood talent? Shocking!!! Wideeyed

News Comments > Steam Breach Follow-up
6. Re: jtw321@gmail.com Feb 10, 2012, 21:49 Slashman

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 21:39:
They've been too quiet about this, and hiding these messages on their forum, where most users never go, isn't the way this should be handled.

This should be emailed to everyone on their list, not left up to gaming sites to report on it.

At this point, Sony is looking more forthcoming on information. At least when they screwed up they offered people a free game.

This message popped up when I signed into Steam earlier this evening. So its not just hiding on their forums.

News Comments > Blizzard Sues Over DOTA TM
31. Re: Blizzard Sues Over DOTA TM Feb 10, 2012, 15:42 Slashman

Did Left4Dead start as a mod too? I thought that was an original IP by Valve.  

News Comments > Skyrim IAAS Game of the Year
6. Re: Skyrim IAAS Game of the Year Feb 10, 2012, 10:47 Slashman

Skyrim is certainly my GOTY for 2011...and possibly for 2012 too since I don't think anything else is coming out that will topple it.

Bethesda really hit it out of the park with this one. It's not perfect by any means...but the sheer volume of content and the improvements over Oblivion is staggering. I have 90 hours in and have only visited 3 cities and done 2 parts of the main questline.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
10. Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 9, 2012, 14:16 Slashman

I think it finally makes the game look 'complete'.

It will never be The Witcher 2 in terms of graphics...but these textures do help a lot.

On the downside...using the pack kills my enhanced night sky mod with its coloured galaxies.

News Comments > Skyrim Sizzle Reel
12. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 13:15 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 12:28:
I really hope they release these as free mods, like J.E. Sawyer did with his New Vegas mod.

I finally started this two nights ago, on the 360.

Why would you buy the console version of any Bethesda game..?

I second this! Why the hell would you????

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit
69. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 21:07 Slashman

nin wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 20:20:
Really impressed with the steam workshop! Lots of sorting options, including seeing what mods your friends are using.

Is it as good as the Nexus mod manager, though?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 7, 2012, 20:53 Slashman

born2expire wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 20:37:
Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 16:25:
Looks interesting. Not "$60 on the first day" interesting, but I'll probably check it out once they've patched it up and wringed out all the DLC.

It's not $60 is $59.99, EA sees a difference why can't you?

I'm sure I'll see it once I've had my daily whack on the head with an idiot stick...

1546 Comments. 78 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo