Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1523 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed May 11, 2012, 15:59 Slashman

WarpCrow wrote on May 11, 2012, 12:34:
It's funny that Blizzard have been able to take the same thing PC gamers crucified Ubisoft for, take it to even further extremes, and successfully sell it as a feature.

Well they haven't sold it to me. But every time I say so, someone jumps in to tell me that I'm going to buy it anyway.

I managed to live without Starcraft 2 and I'll manage to live without Diablo 3. Plenty of other good games to play, but most people have no self-control.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game of Thrones: The Game Trailer
6. Re: Game of Thrones: The Game Trailer May 11, 2012, 15:29 Slashman

Teddy wrote on May 11, 2012, 14:08:
MacLeod wrote on May 11, 2012, 12:19:
Cutter wrote on May 11, 2012, 11:59:
If George is so passionate about the series he should bloody well finish it instead of playing rockstar.

Yea, really. I'm concerned that he's going to croak before he finishes the damn thing. Then we'll get someone like Kevin J. Anderson to finish the series and I'll have to smash my head in trying to read it.

Then again, I'm sure even if he finishes it, KJA (and maybe, deciding to branch out from ruining his father's works, Brian Herbert) will decide to write prequel and sequel books that were found on spiral notebooks buried under the floor of his house with notes for another 5 book ideas.

Man, am I bitter over those crappy Dune prequel/sequel novels.

The scary thing is George RR Martin has said multiple times that he hates the procedure traditionally involved in writing. He doesn't do notebooks full of stuff, character boards, plot charts, or anything of the sort. It's all in his head. So if his mind goes (one way or the other) then so do the vast majority of the details on what was intended for future books.

It's also probably why it takes him so long to write a damn book, but then for all we know, it's part of what makes his books so good.

This sounds like we're headed for disaster...

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test
11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 10, 2012, 23:00 Slashman

zombiefan wrote on May 10, 2012, 22:27:
...I'm all over this like stink on rice.

Wait...WHAT??? Wtf

News Comments > Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge
14. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 10, 2012, 16:10 Slashman

Acleacius wrote on May 10, 2012, 15:37:
RollinThundr wrote on May 10, 2012, 11:09:
Oh boo hoo poor PB. No one holds a gun to their head with contract signings, or prevents them from hiring more staff.
I'm glad your here to clarify PB's contracts and budgets. It's good to know your a legal expert on developer and publisher contracts.

Hmmm...I may actually look into buying this now.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support?
17. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 08:45 Slashman

But hey...Nothing is more important than not punishing players for dieing!  

News Comments > Grim Dawn Funded
28. Re: Grim Dawn Funded May 9, 2012, 19:32 Slashman

nin wrote on May 9, 2012, 18:48:
Appreciate your honesty, Arthur.

I don't think he said anything that I didn't suspect to be the case already. Perhaps Creston has some more perspective on the issue now.

20. Re: Grim Dawn Funded May 9, 2012, 13:09 Slashman

Creston wrote on May 9, 2012, 12:33:
Point in case. Keep letting devs get away with this kind of shit, and you'll keep getting buggy games. And again, it's not THAT much to ask for a dev to fix a MAJOR gamebreaking bug like this, even if the publisher doesn't pay them for it. Bruno whatever had enough money to work on a new game for two-three years out of his own pocket, but he couldn't afford the... what? A week? Two weeks? to fix this bug?

You want to know why games on the PC are generally released in such a terrible state? Because gamers keep putting up with it and happily buy whatever next bug-ridden game comes out from the same developer.

/shrug.

Creston

Perhaps it wasn't an easy fix. Seriously, maybe they had a lot of trouble chasing it down and on top of that the studio was closing.

So you got a bug in Titan Quest and they were out of jobs. Maybe they didn't think prioritizing that bug fix was critical. Also...you don't know how many people actually experienced that bug in a critical, game-breaking capacity compared to the people who didn't.

In any case I'll enjoy Grim Dawn if it comes out and proves to be a decent game.

18. Re: Grim Dawn Funded May 9, 2012, 10:36 Slashman

Well it seems that the community patch does address some of the rubberbanding issues people were experiencing.

I still never had them to that degree even without it. I mostly got it because it fixed some of the Lich bugs and some item drop issues.

Still, even if it was affecting me, I think I like the type of games these guys make enough to support them without holding that kind of grudge. But it is what it is.

11. Re: Grim Dawn Funded May 9, 2012, 00:37 Slashman

Creston wrote on May 9, 2012, 00:29:
Slashman wrote on May 9, 2012, 00:22:
I have a huge number of hours in Titan Quest. There is an occasional hitch where the game seems to jump forward for half a second. Is that the 'dreaded' rubber-banding bug?

Its so infrequent as to have almost zero impact on the game. What the hell would you hold a grudge over something like that for?

Because unlike you where it seems to jump forward for half a second occasionally, for quite a lot of people it happens approximately every 10 seconds, and the jump is 3-4 seconds.

Now imagine playing the game like that.

Creston

When did you last play the game? Because no one I know who has played TQ recently has complained about that. I even installed the community patch and went to the website for the guys who made it and never heard about anything that severe.

9. Re: Grim Dawn Funded May 9, 2012, 00:22 Slashman

I have a huge number of hours in Titan Quest. There is an occasional hitch where the game seems to jump forward for half a second. Is that the 'dreaded' rubber-banding bug?

Its so infrequent as to have almost zero impact on the game. What the hell would you hold a grudge over something like that for?

News Comments > Diablo III Interview
87. Re: Diablo III Interview May 8, 2012, 10:17 Slashman

Alamar wrote on May 7, 2012, 20:05:
For Titan Quest; a game I really enjoyed, boss fights consisted of holding down an attack (maybe using a few more), and hitting the potion button every ~3 seconds... Boring as shit...

It quite depended on what type of character you played in Titan Quest.

I found that certain builds were dependent on mana more than health and vice versa.

My summoner never got hit very much, but used a lot of mana. So it also encouraged me to use gear/relics that bolstered mana regen and total mana. My rogue build avoided prolonged direct combat and relied on traps and poison bombs. So I always ended up with a truckload of unused health potions.

Titan quest had a lot more options to tailor your character to the playstyle you preferred than you may be giving it credit for. Yes, you could play a potion spammer if your build was inefficient in that regard, but you didn't need to.

News Comments > Diablo III Interview
54. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 16:25 Slashman

Prez wrote on May 7, 2012, 16:09:
Enough has been said about Blizzard's excuses for always-on DRM and the inclusion of a cash shop; I absolutely despise both design decisions, but it's not going to change so the point seems moot. What I do find interesting is what feature they picked to remain true to from traditional Diablo mechanics - namely the isometric perspective.

Hellgate turned out to be a disaster because of Bill Roper's greed and incompetence, but the fundamental mechanics were actually pretty sound. Many people called it a "First-Person Diablo" and what little I tried of it left me with a similar impression. Also, Guild Wars had a similar feel and it was ots third-person. Which all compels me to believe that changing the perspective alone doesn't make it "not Diablo". In truth, I would contend that the things they have changed make it less Diablo than a perspective change would. But maybe that's just me.

I pretty much agree. Allowing camera adjustments really doesn't make the game less or more Diablo as long as the gameplay remains familiar.

Still not buying it, but yeah...

News Comments > Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc?
48. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 7, 2012, 01:01 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on May 7, 2012, 00:51:
None of that sounds especially appealing. And this is from someone who actually likes complex combat systems.

I haven't played any of the games though, so I can'/t swear to it. It just doesn't sound very fun.

It's definitely an acquired taste. You basically can't make any mistakes, which in turn makes the combat much more intense. You have to scout your enemies and think carefully about when and where to engage. I find this more appealing than the combat in other action RPGs like Kingdoms of Amalur or Elder Scrolls, where you just wade in to battle and mash LMB as quickly as possible.

I think I'd prefer a middle ground. Interesting combat shouldn't necessarily be so painstaking that you can't sometimes just go with your instincts and rain blows down on the enemy(within reason and depending on the enemy).

News Comments > Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc?
45. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 7, 2012, 00:24 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on May 7, 2012, 00:07:
PHJF wrote on May 6, 2012, 23:58:
Combat in Risen was awful, plain and simple.

I assume you didn't like the combat in G1 or G2, either? Because the combat in Risen was pretty much the same, except blocking with shields was a bit overpowered.

As always, the combat in PB's games is an acquired taste. I enjoy it (except when it was dumbed down in G3 and to a lesser extent, Risen 2) but I can see why others wouldn't. It has always had a relatively steep learning curve and a very low tolerance for user error, with fully-committed enemy attacks and player hit reactions usually resulting in the player's death.

None of that sounds especially appealing. And this is from someone who actually likes complex combat systems.

I haven't played any of the games though, so I can'/t swear to it. It just doesn't sound very fun.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer
4. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 4, 2012, 23:58 Slashman

This just feels like the classic case of: 'Everyone and their sister is doing an MMO. We too, need a pointless blackhole in which to toss good money, which otherwise could have been used to create actual interesting additions to the Elder Scrolls game franchise.'  

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Revealed?
25. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 3, 2012, 20:16 Slashman

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 3, 2012, 18:42:
Not Homeworld 3?

Fuck you, Relic. Fuck you.

You damn well tell them!!!! Furious2

News Comments > Quoteworthy: Notch Knocks "Indie" EA
27. Re: Quoteworthy: Notch Knocks May 3, 2012, 19:19 Slashman

You mean like how EA wasn't directly involved in the making of Mass Effect 2 and 3? Or Dragon Age 2? How they surely gave Bioware total creative freedom?  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dawnguard Revealed
47. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dawnguard Revealed May 2, 2012, 12:38 Slashman

Theo wrote on May 2, 2012, 09:48:
Creston wrote on May 1, 2012, 17:53:
Yay, 360 timed-release exclusive.

It's like Todd Howard sits there wondering just HOW he can piss people the fuck off. "well, those damn PC pirates have had my game in the Steam top 10 for going on six straight months now, so let's make the DLC 360 exclusive!"

And yes, before some boring corporate assdrone comes on to whine how this was agreed on before the game released, it still fucking sucks ass, so shut up.

Creston

and it still sold less than on the 360. /wickedgrin

Are you sure that's actually still the case? Console sales drop off sharply once a game is out. Over the long run, I'd be surprised if Skyrim didn't outsell the 360 by a good bit.

News Comments > The Showdown Effect Interview
3. Re: The Showdown Effect Interview Apr 30, 2012, 13:42 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 10:44:
It's a side scroller? Oh well, so much for that.

What the hell is it with this retro 2d side-scroller craze?

Some things don't need to come back into fashion. We can do 3D now...really, we can!

I mean I liked Terraria as much as the next guy...but this is just getting silly.

News Comments > PC MW3 to Get DLC!
7. Re: PC MW3 to Get DLC! Apr 28, 2012, 14:13 Slashman

ChopperDan wrote on Apr 28, 2012, 13:50:
I guess they made enough money, so now they can release the DLC to us "pirates". After their new game announcement. Are people still playing this? I grew bored with it.

The fact that you bought it at all is more than a little worrying...

1523 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo