Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1567 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Zenimax TMs "Hearth Fire"
6. Re: HearthFire May 29, 2012, 14:15 Slashman

nin wrote on May 29, 2012, 14:04:
yonder wrote on May 29, 2012, 13:50:
Do you guys (the original 3 commentators) honestly not have the IQ to figure out that this is for future projects like, I dunno, a Skyrim expansion?

Do you have the IQ to realize a joke? (Apparently not.)

SHHHH! I want to bask in his indignation for a bit longer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Patch Today
6. Re: Mass Effect 3 Patch Today May 29, 2012, 14:09 Slashman

StingingVelvet wrote on May 29, 2012, 13:03:
21 days until I can play this game... OMG OMG OMG.

Why the long wait? Are you traveling?

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Announced
13. Re: matthew@welchkin.net May 29, 2012, 14:08 Slashman

Hmmmm...OK, who started the top down rumor?

I'll keep my eye on it but I did kinda like the DKS.

Looks like there is a bunch of aRPGs to play coming up and I'm not lamenting my D3 boycott at all.

News Comments > Op Ed
54. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 11:48 Slashman

Ant wrote on May 29, 2012, 09:40:
Slashman wrote on May 29, 2012, 09:30:
See this is what I don't get.

All reviews say basically the same things: Weak/overdone story, the obvious always online downside, doesn't innovate or add anything significant to the genre, normal mode too easy and item stats are wonky(differences between legendary and rares??). Removal of tweakable stats is questionable.

Then they all go on to say the game is great, give it a 9/10 and advise people to go out and buy it. All of them. Its like they swallowed some kind of mind-altering, Blizzard-slave making drug. Its like if that stuff was present in any other game but Diablo 3 it would be getting a 6 or 7. Instead, it gets a 9.
Yeah. Use apostrophe for "its" (it's = it is).

Bah...I was still waking up. I don't usually do that.

Thanks grammar police person!! Dunce

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Announced
3. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 29, 2012, 11:43 Slashman

Cutter wrote on May 29, 2012, 11:38:
Grr, I hate top-down! Why not a follow-up to DKS? That was a great game!

That would call for 'logic' and 'common sense' to enter the equation again, and Larian figures that they should just jump on the dumb bandwagon while the jumping is good...

News Comments > Zenimax TMs "Hearth Fire"
3. Re: Zenimax TMs May 29, 2012, 11:41 Slashman

What the hell is wrong with these people? Do their lawyers not have things to do?  

News Comments > Op Ed
49. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 09:30 Slashman

See this is what I don't get.

All reviews say basically the same things: Weak/overdone story, the obvious always online downside, doesn't innovate or add anything significant to the genre, normal mode too easy and item stats are wonky(differences between legendary and rares??). Removal of tweakable stats is questionable.

Then they all go on to say the game is great, give it a 9/10 and advise people to go out and buy it. All of them. Its like they swallowed some kind of mind-altering, Blizzard-slave making drug. Its like if that stuff was present in any other game but Diablo 3 it would be getting a 6 or 7. Instead, it gets a 9.

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 01:23 Slashman

Prez wrote on May 29, 2012, 01:11:
The thing is that it doesn't work like Steam.

That was my point actually.

Sorry, I was actually emphasizing your argument, but I guess it did seem like I was making a statement against it.

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 00:33 Slashman

Prez wrote on May 29, 2012, 00:07:
"Its not DRM, its a all-in-one patch-updater, trophy system, in-game web browser and friend service."

Most people either know going in or learn soon enough that Steam is in fact DRM. But it is far less restrictive than Blizzard's garbage and offers more in the way of user conveniences to offset the downsides. Steam does not have to be sold as anything other than what it is, while Blizzard's DRM has to be disguied as something else so as to appear less onerous.

The thing is that it doesn't work like Steam. I can pull my network cable in the middle of all my Steam games and continue to play. If my net is down, I play in offline mode.

B.net may have some social functions built in, but its not like Steam or Impulse when it comes to D3.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed May 28, 2012, 17:38 Slashman

Beelzebud wrote on May 28, 2012, 17:31:
Lord Tea wrote on May 28, 2012, 17:24:
Who would give a shit about D3 in 5, 10 years anyway?

The same type of people that still play Diablo 2, 12 years after its release date.

You'd think that would be obvious...

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed May 28, 2012, 13:25 Slashman

ASeven wrote on May 28, 2012, 12:57:
Another great point made about Diablo3's horrible DRM for SP.

But it improves the quality of the game experience so much!!!

News Comments > Op Ed
47. Re: ahuh? May 28, 2012, 11:15 Slashman

Most successful games don't require high end hardware to run. See all Blizzard titles for examples of this.

Blizzard makes games that can run on your grandma's PC because they hope that your grandma will give those games a try. And unfortunately, that's exactly what happens.

Making games that scale up and down equally well is time-consuming and difficult though. Because the idea is that the game looks and performs decently at both ends of the hardware spectrum. It's really much easier to make a game that performs well on lower end hardware and add in a few features that high end hardware can utilize rather than looking to monopolize the full power of top of the line rigs.

The things is that even the next generation of consoles aren't looking all that impressive on the hardware front. And very few developers are making games aimed squarely at the PC market. And even when they do, they seldom want to target the high end hardware segment. You're not going to find a Hard Reset or Serious Sam 3 popping up every day.

News Comments > EYE Divine Cybermancy Patched
32. Re: EYE Divine Cybermancy Patched May 27, 2012, 23:47 Slashman

reisub wrote on May 27, 2012, 13:48:
Slashman wrote on May 26, 2012, 22:15:
...the problem is that these guys are French...
Harsh.

Dude...I totally see what you did there!

eRe4s3r wrote on May 27, 2012, 21:19:
Failing as in "broken ass game with flawed gameplay concepts" so ..sure.. SOTS2 didn't fail financially either, it's still a fail though. Actually.. you do know that nowadays a FAIL is not remotely related to financial success right?

Like you not getting my repeated hints that I am joking (at least related to Language issues), that's epic fail. How many more smiles does it take to make that more apparent?

It is, no matter whether you think I am trolling, a bad game. It is insane, but it is not good or memorable. It also most gibberish. ^^

I think we get that you don't like it, but not everyone hated it. And it seems to have sold reasonably well. The fact that it's not some super-marketed 'AAA' title would seem to suggest that some folks found the game enjoyable.

I'm curious to see if they do something better with their next game.

27. Re: EYE Divine Cybermancy Patched May 27, 2012, 13:10 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on May 27, 2012, 12:24:
obviously indeed

All this talk about a failed cyberpunk game makes me want to replay Deus EX HR.. so let me get to that instead ;p At least that is not incoherent gibberish ^^

Did it actually fail? I never heard them say that they didn't recoup development costs or make any money off it. And they are still patching it so...

Its got more recommends than Tropico on Steam so I dunno. It may just appeal to a niche audience.

21. Re: EYE Divine Cybermancy Patched May 27, 2012, 11:16 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on May 27, 2012, 10:14:
Well Day-Z is a mod so I don't really care, but EYE is sold as a game and to me a game has to be fun and If they sell it in English, it better be proper English. ^^

Even their "press releases" has broken English.. what the heck

Yeah...its true that they suffer from a lack of decent English language people on their team. Still, the game has over 4000 recommends on Steam, so at least some folks are finding some entertainment value from it.

I personally found it entertaining enough that I didn't feel like I wasted the $10 I spent on it when I picked it up on sale.

19. Re: EYE Divine Cybermancy Patched May 27, 2012, 09:32 Slashman

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 27, 2012, 07:34:
If that much time has to be spent trying to tell people how to play the game and not why they should play the game, your design has failed miserably.

One person enjoying the idiosyncratic esoterica of a game while many more finding it obtuse at best (from what I have read here and elsewhere) doesn't make it subtle or clever.

Actually, the problem is more that they didn't tell people how to play the game. I figure you'd play the game because you like shooters that aren't just the usual military fare.

I'm not defending it exactly, I just don't think its quite so bad once you get used to it. Maybe with a decent English translation and a larger team, they might make a better sequel. Anyway, its cheap and indie, so anyone can pick it up on sale and judge for themselves.

14. Re: EYE Divine Cybermancy Patched May 26, 2012, 22:15 Slashman

PHJF wrote on May 26, 2012, 22:00:
The maps and missions are rather simple, but the RPG elements and skills are fairly vast convoluted and complex inscrutable.

I wouldn't say they are inscrutable. I actually did figure out how things work. It takes a bit of time...but then if I didn't have time I probably would have a different hobby.

I like the hacking aspects and also the psi powers can be interesting in combat. The fact that you, yourself, can be hacked (and then need to hack yourself to regain control) if you mess up a hack attempt is rather novel.

As I said earlier, the problem is that these guys are French and also using the board game A.V.A to base their game world on, which most of their audience is probably unfamiliar with.

8. Re: EYE Divine Cybermancy Patched May 26, 2012, 19:45 Slashman

I think the problem is that its based on a table-top RPG that no one really knows about and has a bunch of things setup that build on that premise. The player has a hard time understanding what the heck is going on or relating to it.

I don't know if I'd say it was awful, but it does try to do too much without appropriately setting up story, context and introducing gameplay features.

It also doesn't help that it's not done by folks whose first language is English. Although I guess you could also say that's no excuse when you look at CD Projekt.

News Comments > Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat
8. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 26, 2012, 00:50 Slashman

I rather prefer 3rd person so this is a welcome addition.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts
61. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 21:44 Slashman

Beelzebud wrote on May 22, 2012, 21:34:
I really had high hopes for this game. Bioware's MMO and Star Wars seemed like a no-brainer.

And right there is the problem. It had no brain behind it at all. Bioware seriously thought that taking the piss-poor and hideously boring, standard skill click MMO combat, wrapping it in the Star Wars IP and adding the Bioware RPG story-telling would be a huge winner.

No doubt its the same stupidity that the Elder Scrolls MMO will attempt. Its the same lukewarm gameplay that WoW did and no, I never thought WoW was in the least bit impressive even in its prime(but it had Blizzard behind it so it had to do well).

Only a complete moron would still think that you could challenge and/or surpass WoW's success by copying it. Even adding a single player story into the game wouldn't change what it is...standard fare MMO grind-fluff.

1567 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo