Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1550 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > EYE Divine Cybermancy Patched
8. Re: EYE Divine Cybermancy Patched May 26, 2012, 19:45 Slashman

I think the problem is that its based on a table-top RPG that no one really knows about and has a bunch of things setup that build on that premise. The player has a hard time understanding what the heck is going on or relating to it.

I don't know if I'd say it was awful, but it does try to do too much without appropriately setting up story, context and introducing gameplay features.

It also doesn't help that it's not done by folks whose first language is English. Although I guess you could also say that's no excuse when you look at CD Projekt.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat
8. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 26, 2012, 00:50 Slashman

I rather prefer 3rd person so this is a welcome addition.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts
61. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 21:44 Slashman

Beelzebud wrote on May 22, 2012, 21:34:
I really had high hopes for this game. Bioware's MMO and Star Wars seemed like a no-brainer.

And right there is the problem. It had no brain behind it at all. Bioware seriously thought that taking the piss-poor and hideously boring, standard skill click MMO combat, wrapping it in the Star Wars IP and adding the Bioware RPG story-telling would be a huge winner.

No doubt its the same stupidity that the Elder Scrolls MMO will attempt. Its the same lukewarm gameplay that WoW did and no, I never thought WoW was in the least bit impressive even in its prime(but it had Blizzard behind it so it had to do well).

Only a complete moron would still think that you could challenge and/or surpass WoW's success by copying it. Even adding a single player story into the game wouldn't change what it is...standard fare MMO grind-fluff.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October
14. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 16:30 Slashman

Apparently if it doesn't have time units, its a consolized, dumbed-down experience.

The thing is that none of what they have shown of the game in terms of mechanics would be considered dumbed down if it was in another game, but if its X-Com, you're not having fun if it isn't exactly like the original.

Someone in their forums even wanted them to not update the look of the Muton because the original 'unitard' look was authentic and scary.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October
7. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 15:40 Slashman

Elim wrote on May 22, 2012, 15:22:
Dude, not even a discussion. Xenonauts.

Shiny graphics and dumbed down mechanics for consoles casual gamers vs a good indie XCOM clone, where you can actually fuck up and lose.

I didn't get the impression that you couldn't lose in this game. It seems like you lose guys in the tutorial missions even.

Also, unless they are flat out lying, the developers are saying that you can fail at the overall game.

In any event, just like the original, you can save and reload...so I'd say that its almost a moot point. In one of the interviews, a developers says that you were a 'real man' if you let your guys die in the original X-Com and carried on. But there wasn't a mandatory hardcore mode where you couldn't reload a save. It was all up to you.

News Comments > Diablo III Hacking?
227. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 12:45 Slashman

Orogogus wrote on May 22, 2012, 11:47:
Prez wrote on May 22, 2012, 10:57:
Up to this year D2 was still the go-to ARPG.

Got to disagree with you there. D2 is absolutely murder on the eyes with today's big screens - I'll take Titan Quest any day.

Well, I agree with you personally, but for whatever reason on other forums I would see people organize for D2 and not Titan's Quest, which is regularly like $5 on Steam. And I guess people get used to terrible resolutions somehow and play the Infinity Engine games. But yeah, when I look at it all I see are giant pixels everywhere.

At least one person was bitching heavily about rubberbanding in TQ, whatever that is. So maybe it's flat out unplayable for some people? If TQ is unplayable, I can't think of another significant ARPG that supports co-op. Dungeon Siege? Nox?

Rubberbanding issue aside, Titan Quest(plus Immortal Throne expansion) is currently my absolute favourite clicky ARPG. The dual class options lend a huge amount of depth and replayability, and the game looks decent even by today's standards of graphics.

There is a fan-made community patch which solves a whole host of issues and it installs seamlessly with the Steam version as well. The acts are huge and the story and setting are decent. I haven't really seen anything in D3 reviews or previews which makes me think it is significantly better than TQ. Which is what is so maddening about D3. It doesn't add anything!!! It actually takes stuff away and pretends that less is more.

206. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 10:37 Slashman

Actually, since they have removed stats and skill choices from the leveling process, couldn't they just start your character out at the appropriate level when you choose a higher difficulty mode?

It seems to me that this would be a much better option now that leveling is completely automated.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Interview
11. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Interview May 22, 2012, 08:27 Slashman

Did you guys know that the mod community is actually working on multiplayer Skyrim? Check out Skyrim Nexus. I forgot the name of the mod.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Interview
3. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Interview May 21, 2012, 22:39 Slashman

They'll try to ride the Skyrim name for all its worth...and then crater.

That's my prediction anyway.

"Oh wow!! This is an MMO based on the same world as Skyrim!!! It'll be like playing Skyrim, only multiplayer!!!" Smitten

No...no it won't! Nono

141. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 19:44 Slashman

RollinThundr wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:59:
I really don't understand how Blizzard has survived as long as they have on really good cinematics and hype. SC2 is the same thing, a 10 year old game with a somewhat shinier coat of paint that still manages to look like it should have shipped in 06.

Even with the success of WoW all WoW is really is a carebear EQ in a warcraft skin, yet people flock to it due to a developer name on the box. I just can't understand how Blizzard has legions of fanboys when in reality all of their titles are really pretty mediocre.

Its a mystery, wrapped in a smokescreen, soaked in obfuscation.

I don't get it, but I'm sure someone will tell me I'm crazy if I say it. Starcraft was a good game in its time and so was D1 and D2. But they weren't 'earth-shattering, world-creating' good. World of Warcraft is the most bewildering success story I have ever seen and I have no real explanation for it.

All that said, I don't doubt that D3 is an OK game. I just don't get all the reviews saying its a 9/10 or 8/10. It's a generic ARPG that adds nothing, innovates nothing and has the usual Blizzard polish. How in the hell does something like that take 12+ years to make while the Witcher 2 took 4 years? How is clicking on stuff in D3 so much more satisfying than clicking on stuff in TL or Titan Quest?

Even the reviews that sing its praises say the story is crap and the narrative is laughable. But that stuff gets a hearty ignore, along with the always online requirements, and the rest of the game gets a huge thumbs up. So the generic, loot-chasing gameplay earns the game a 9, but it doesn't really do much that hasn't been done before(except take away attribute points and skill choices).

News Comments > Op Ed
72. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 23:59 Slashman

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 20, 2012, 23:22:
avianflu wrote on May 20, 2012, 21:09:
I am kinda surprised so many long-timers here at Blues bought D3 at launch. If there was ever a game to wait on for a few months, this might have been the game?

To me, that is like waiting to see how many Wonka bar winners there are and THEN buying a chocolate bar......no thanks...I want a chance at the golden ticket right away....

What the hell does that mean? What, exactly, would you lose if you waited to get a game? Is it going to spoil? Are stocks going to run out? What frigging golden ticket are you talking about???

News Comments > Op Ed
70. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 22:10 Slashman

avianflu wrote on May 20, 2012, 21:09:
I am kinda surprised so many long-timers here at Blues bought D3 at launch. If there was ever a game to wait on for a few months, this might have been the game?

I didn't buy it!

In fact I pre-ordered TL2 yesterday.

News Comments > Op Ed
42. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 00:12 Slashman

The problem, of course, comes when the gaming journalist stops being a mouthpiece and tries to do good journalism.

At that point, they stop getting exclusive interviews and hands-on. They stop getting juicy advertising deals from the big publishers and are basically relegated to being in the same knowledge pool as us, the ignorant gamer.

We, in turn, then stop reading their magazines and going to their websites because they have nothing there that we didn't know about already. So we end up going to the people who do have some exclusive info...the sell-out gaming journalists.

Even the sites that we tend to look to for the real scoop often pull their punches and stop short of telling us what they really want to say about a game sometimes because they can't afford to completely alienate the guys with the big pockets.

Its a sad state of affairs and I have no idea how to fix it.

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Op Ed May 19, 2012, 21:50 Slashman

I actually pre-ordered Torchlight 2 today.

I'm playing Torchlight 1 now and its not too bad. I do like to support indie companies who deliver polished products and I like ARPGs. Kind of a win-win for me.

D3 is yet another Blizzard game that I'll be skipping...and I honestly am not missing it or Starcraft 2 a whole lot.

My buddy got the starter key from a friend of his who preordered the game and even though he was downloading it and getting ready to play it, he was shocked that it was online only when I told him.

Some people don't stay informed about this stuff. I wonder how many people really didn't realize it was online only when they bought the game.

News Comments > Origin Woos Crowd-Funded Games
30. Re: Origin Woos Crowd-Funded Games May 19, 2012, 09:50 Slashman

I don't like Origin mostly for the fact that somehow I'm never included in any of their sales because apparently I'm in the 'UK' or some shit like that. Whereas when Steam has a sale its a sale across the board, not based on territory. I don't live in the Us or Canada and that shouldn't be a factor in if I get a good deal from your service or not.

Origin is still light-years away from Steam and I don't see it changing anytime soon. I have no interest in becoming a customer of theirs at this time.

News Comments > Darksiders II Trailer
7. Re: Darksiders II Trailer May 18, 2012, 22:40 Slashman

Fantaz wrote on May 18, 2012, 21:35:
From the videos I've seen, this game looks very good... and I haven't played the first one.

The first one was very good IMO. Definitely an underrated title. The mix of fighting, platforming and puzzle solving is really satisfying.

Also, you get to play as the very embodiment of conflict itself. Thumbsup

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed May 18, 2012, 17:52 Slashman

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 18, 2012, 17:07:
One thing that interests me is more info behind this "lag". I had 1 rubber band issue for a split second that was more funny than anything, but 23 hours in 3 days is pretty solid. My pc is 5 years old, running a dual core with a 8800 640MB card. I by no means have a machine to the caliber that most have my settings are all med or high.

I wonder where the bottle neck is? I live in MPLS so my pipe for the 'nets is HUGE. In 7 years at my current place, I think I was without 'nets for MAYBE an hour total. So what is the problem? Am I just lucky? Do I play at odd times (23 hours in 3 days, I was all over the place). What is it?

They are early out of the gate, and I look forward to knowing more. If it didn't work, I would be pretty bummed, that is for sure.

Nice posts Creston and others. The conversations are getting good.

The lag isn't going to affect people with great connections. That it will affect people with spotty connections is a given.

Most of the people who are saying they have smooth play are people who have decent connections. Broadband in the US is pretty widespread and easy to get. I can only imagine what the game is like for people who live in areas where they literally cannot get a decent connection consistently.

I'd probably be able to play it decently, but even though I have an OK connection where I live, there are people not too far from me who have crappy internet and have no real alternative(I live on a small island).

In the end, there is absolutely no real reason to not have an offline mode.

News Comments > Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend
77. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 16:37 Slashman

Overon wrote on May 18, 2012, 16:10:
1AngryGamer wrote on May 18, 2012, 15:48:
Creston wrote on May 18, 2012, 15:46:
Overon wrote on May 18, 2012, 15:23:
Will torchlight require a persistent online connection for single player and/or a login like Diablo 3?

No, it won't.

Creston

OH NO ITS SO BAD TO HAVE THAT EEEEK!!! I CANT HANDLE THE YEAR 2012!
You mad bro?

Nah...he's just stupid.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed May 18, 2012, 14:31 Slashman

space captain wrote on May 18, 2012, 14:03:
for most people, the core of life experience is an almost absolute irony... i.e. all their problems are caused by themselves, which they blame on everything else

I look at it like people refusing to learn from mistakes. If you do something and realize it has a negative consequence, the rational thing would be to not do that thing again. Likewise it should be the same if you see someone else do something stupid that has a negative consequence.

Somehow, in our society, we've managed to encourage ourselves to keep doing the same stupid things while hoping really hard for a better outcome. The fact that it's D3 isn't a valid excuse for it if it wasn't a valid excuse for Ubisoft's games.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Gratuitous Tank Battles
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Gratuitous Tank Battles May 18, 2012, 09:34 Slashman

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 18, 2012, 09:32:
Wake me up when we start making games called "Gratuitous Nudity and Big Ass Explosions".

I'm preordering!!!!

1550 Comments. 78 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo