Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1520 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
72. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 23:59 Slashman

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 20, 2012, 23:22:
avianflu wrote on May 20, 2012, 21:09:
I am kinda surprised so many long-timers here at Blues bought D3 at launch. If there was ever a game to wait on for a few months, this might have been the game?

To me, that is like waiting to see how many Wonka bar winners there are and THEN buying a chocolate bar......no thanks...I want a chance at the golden ticket right away....

What the hell does that mean? What, exactly, would you lose if you waited to get a game? Is it going to spoil? Are stocks going to run out? What frigging golden ticket are you talking about???

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
70. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 22:10 Slashman

avianflu wrote on May 20, 2012, 21:09:
I am kinda surprised so many long-timers here at Blues bought D3 at launch. If there was ever a game to wait on for a few months, this might have been the game?

I didn't buy it!

In fact I pre-ordered TL2 yesterday.

News Comments > Op Ed
42. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 00:12 Slashman

The problem, of course, comes when the gaming journalist stops being a mouthpiece and tries to do good journalism.

At that point, they stop getting exclusive interviews and hands-on. They stop getting juicy advertising deals from the big publishers and are basically relegated to being in the same knowledge pool as us, the ignorant gamer.

We, in turn, then stop reading their magazines and going to their websites because they have nothing there that we didn't know about already. So we end up going to the people who do have some exclusive info...the sell-out gaming journalists.

Even the sites that we tend to look to for the real scoop often pull their punches and stop short of telling us what they really want to say about a game sometimes because they can't afford to completely alienate the guys with the big pockets.

Its a sad state of affairs and I have no idea how to fix it.

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Op Ed May 19, 2012, 21:50 Slashman

I actually pre-ordered Torchlight 2 today.

I'm playing Torchlight 1 now and its not too bad. I do like to support indie companies who deliver polished products and I like ARPGs. Kind of a win-win for me.

D3 is yet another Blizzard game that I'll be skipping...and I honestly am not missing it or Starcraft 2 a whole lot.

My buddy got the starter key from a friend of his who preordered the game and even though he was downloading it and getting ready to play it, he was shocked that it was online only when I told him.

Some people don't stay informed about this stuff. I wonder how many people really didn't realize it was online only when they bought the game.

News Comments > Origin Woos Crowd-Funded Games
30. Re: Origin Woos Crowd-Funded Games May 19, 2012, 09:50 Slashman

I don't like Origin mostly for the fact that somehow I'm never included in any of their sales because apparently I'm in the 'UK' or some shit like that. Whereas when Steam has a sale its a sale across the board, not based on territory. I don't live in the Us or Canada and that shouldn't be a factor in if I get a good deal from your service or not.

Origin is still light-years away from Steam and I don't see it changing anytime soon. I have no interest in becoming a customer of theirs at this time.

News Comments > Darksiders II Trailer
7. Re: Darksiders II Trailer May 18, 2012, 22:40 Slashman

Fantaz wrote on May 18, 2012, 21:35:
From the videos I've seen, this game looks very good... and I haven't played the first one.

The first one was very good IMO. Definitely an underrated title. The mix of fighting, platforming and puzzle solving is really satisfying.

Also, you get to play as the very embodiment of conflict itself. Thumbsup

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed May 18, 2012, 17:52 Slashman

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 18, 2012, 17:07:
One thing that interests me is more info behind this "lag". I had 1 rubber band issue for a split second that was more funny than anything, but 23 hours in 3 days is pretty solid. My pc is 5 years old, running a dual core with a 8800 640MB card. I by no means have a machine to the caliber that most have my settings are all med or high.

I wonder where the bottle neck is? I live in MPLS so my pipe for the 'nets is HUGE. In 7 years at my current place, I think I was without 'nets for MAYBE an hour total. So what is the problem? Am I just lucky? Do I play at odd times (23 hours in 3 days, I was all over the place). What is it?

They are early out of the gate, and I look forward to knowing more. If it didn't work, I would be pretty bummed, that is for sure.

Nice posts Creston and others. The conversations are getting good.

The lag isn't going to affect people with great connections. That it will affect people with spotty connections is a given.

Most of the people who are saying they have smooth play are people who have decent connections. Broadband in the US is pretty widespread and easy to get. I can only imagine what the game is like for people who live in areas where they literally cannot get a decent connection consistently.

I'd probably be able to play it decently, but even though I have an OK connection where I live, there are people not too far from me who have crappy internet and have no real alternative(I live on a small island).

In the end, there is absolutely no real reason to not have an offline mode.

News Comments > Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend
77. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 16:37 Slashman

Overon wrote on May 18, 2012, 16:10:
1AngryGamer wrote on May 18, 2012, 15:48:
Creston wrote on May 18, 2012, 15:46:
Overon wrote on May 18, 2012, 15:23:
Will torchlight require a persistent online connection for single player and/or a login like Diablo 3?

No, it won't.

Creston

OH NO ITS SO BAD TO HAVE THAT EEEEK!!! I CANT HANDLE THE YEAR 2012!
You mad bro?

Nah...he's just stupid.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed May 18, 2012, 14:31 Slashman

space captain wrote on May 18, 2012, 14:03:
for most people, the core of life experience is an almost absolute irony... i.e. all their problems are caused by themselves, which they blame on everything else

I look at it like people refusing to learn from mistakes. If you do something and realize it has a negative consequence, the rational thing would be to not do that thing again. Likewise it should be the same if you see someone else do something stupid that has a negative consequence.

Somehow, in our society, we've managed to encourage ourselves to keep doing the same stupid things while hoping really hard for a better outcome. The fact that it's D3 isn't a valid excuse for it if it wasn't a valid excuse for Ubisoft's games.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Gratuitous Tank Battles
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Gratuitous Tank Battles May 18, 2012, 09:34 Slashman

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 18, 2012, 09:32:
Wake me up when we start making games called "Gratuitous Nudity and Big Ass Explosions".

I'm preordering!!!!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Gratuitous Tank Battles
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Gratuitous Tank Battles May 18, 2012, 09:10 Slashman

The visuals just don't impress me. I did like Gratuitous Space Battles ok. But I'm kind of tired of retro looking indie games.

I have a decent PC...I'd like some games that take advantage of that.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
127. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 16:24 Slashman

WarChilde wrote on May 15, 2012, 16:21:
Slashman wrote on May 15, 2012, 15:16:
You actually lose progress when your game drops. You can't save so you are plunked back in the game with whole areas that you had explored now fogged out again(at least according to one of the first impression reviews). I mean I can't imagine what it would be like to have just nearly beat a hard boss and have your connection drop(either on your end or Blizzard's servers and have to do over the whole section that you just played through).

This is nearly the same as D2 (both single and online play). But in D2 you always restarted in town. In D3 you start at the last checkpoint.

Which is fine if you're in a multiplayer game with people who keep the instance progress, but if you're playing solo its just a big, annoying do-over. D2 also had checkpoints.

If you're playing alone, you progress is screwed. That's wonderful!!!!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
101. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 15:16 Slashman

I'm less concerned about launch than I am the long term implications for this.

You actually lose progress when your game drops. You can't save so you are plunked back in the game with whole areas that you had explored now fogged out again(at least according to one of the first impression reviews). I mean I can't imagine what it would be like to have just nearly beat a hard boss and have your connection drop(either on your end or Blizzard's servers and have to do over the whole section that you just played through).

I'm fine waiting for Grim Dawn and playing other things. D3 just isn't calling to me like its predecessors.

News Comments > 38 Studios in Financial Trouble?
8. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 14, 2012, 22:37 Slashman

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on May 14, 2012, 22:27:
Cutter wrote on May 14, 2012, 22:02:
Well, thats what happens when you try to make a console/pc hybrid/wow clone. I couldn't even bother finishing it. Far too repetitious in art assets, tedious quests, combat, etc. No jumping sucked. They went far too much for style over substance and that is why they fail. How on earth they think an MMO with the same crap is going to be some huge hit is beyond me. The taxpayers of RI should tell the govnor to pull the plug while they can.

Actually, I never even made it that far to find out all that stuff. As far as I was concerned the story just seemed extremely generic and failed to hook me at all. Which I found really dissappointing because I really like RA Salvatores stuff.

Salvatore became a victim of his own ego and Wizards of the Coast's milking.

The first couple of Dark Elf trilogies were great but nothing after that was worth much. I had some hopes for the Cleric Quintet, but those got dashed rather quickly...

News Comments > Steam top 10
5. Re: Steam top 10 May 13, 2012, 12:27 Slashman

nin wrote on May 13, 2012, 12:18:
nofb wrote on May 13, 2012, 12:05:
Portal 2? It's quite old... how come?

$7 and all the free maps you can eat?

Free maps! Yummy!!! Cake

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Launch Trailer
6. Re: Max Payne 3 Launch Trailer May 12, 2012, 09:42 Slashman

Was modding in the first 2 Max Payne games a big thing? I never really saw much relating to the modding community for 1 and 2.  

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interview
8. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interview May 11, 2012, 18:10 Slashman

I'm not convinced that this will be the disaster you guys are predicting.

I read some of the other interviews and it seems these guys are actually trying to put some thought into the game. I'm not sure why people thought it would be a copy and paste of the original.

I haven't really seen anything that leads me to believe that they are doing a bad job with this.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed May 11, 2012, 15:59 Slashman

WarpCrow wrote on May 11, 2012, 12:34:
It's funny that Blizzard have been able to take the same thing PC gamers crucified Ubisoft for, take it to even further extremes, and successfully sell it as a feature.

Well they haven't sold it to me. But every time I say so, someone jumps in to tell me that I'm going to buy it anyway.

I managed to live without Starcraft 2 and I'll manage to live without Diablo 3. Plenty of other good games to play, but most people have no self-control.

News Comments > Game of Thrones: The Game Trailer
6. Re: Game of Thrones: The Game Trailer May 11, 2012, 15:29 Slashman

Teddy wrote on May 11, 2012, 14:08:
MacLeod wrote on May 11, 2012, 12:19:
Cutter wrote on May 11, 2012, 11:59:
If George is so passionate about the series he should bloody well finish it instead of playing rockstar.

Yea, really. I'm concerned that he's going to croak before he finishes the damn thing. Then we'll get someone like Kevin J. Anderson to finish the series and I'll have to smash my head in trying to read it.

Then again, I'm sure even if he finishes it, KJA (and maybe, deciding to branch out from ruining his father's works, Brian Herbert) will decide to write prequel and sequel books that were found on spiral notebooks buried under the floor of his house with notes for another 5 book ideas.

Man, am I bitter over those crappy Dune prequel/sequel novels.

The scary thing is George RR Martin has said multiple times that he hates the procedure traditionally involved in writing. He doesn't do notebooks full of stuff, character boards, plot charts, or anything of the sort. It's all in his head. So if his mind goes (one way or the other) then so do the vast majority of the details on what was intended for future books.

It's also probably why it takes him so long to write a damn book, but then for all we know, it's part of what makes his books so good.

This sounds like we're headed for disaster...

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test
11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 10, 2012, 23:00 Slashman

zombiefan wrote on May 10, 2012, 22:27:
...I'm all over this like stink on rice.

Wait...WHAT??? Wtf

1520 Comments. 76 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo