Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1555 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced
27. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 00:19 Slashman

Cutter wrote on May 30, 2012, 21:10:
Slashman wrote on May 30, 2012, 18:34:
Wait...didn't you say a while back that after the D3 insanity that you had lost faith in gaming and were considering fading out to a different hobby? Or was I thinking of someone else?

Overall that hasn't changed. Four games do not equate to an industry wide shift. The industry, as a whole, is still headed in the wrong direction IMO. So, it is refreshing that at least there are still some games coming out that can give old gamers like me a reason to be happy.

Well I'd like to think that where there is a void in the gaming industry, some developer will rise to fill it. It may not shift the entire industry...but I don't think it has to. As long as there are enough games like Torchlight and Grim Dawn, I'll gladly pass all the D3s by, for example.

Oh...there is also this one that looks interesting. They are offering a completely offline version too from what I understand.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 30, 2012, 19:58 Slashman

Quboid wrote on May 30, 2012, 19:33:
Slashman wrote on May 30, 2012, 19:27:
Rea1One wrote on May 30, 2012, 18:55:
Don't like medieval crap so i've never gotten into Witcher but Cyberpunk I will buy.

Day one purchase!

The Witcher series isn't 'medieval crap'. It's actually one of the better RPG series out there, but don't let that stop you from talking without consulting your brain.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't saying The Witcher is crap, just that he doesn't like medieval settings. He didn't exactly exactly phrase it like a Shakespearean sonnet, but it's still a perfectly valid opinion. But don't let that stop you from insulting people who you fail to understand.

Phrasing isn't the problem. It's the implication that if it's 'medieval', then its crap. I don't particularly like point and click adventures, but I don't necessarily think they should all be classified as crap.

But hey, butt in where ever you like and tell people what they really mean to say. And even you are right, he still stated it in a way that made it seem like he was saying The Witcher series is crap by virtue of it being medieval.

18. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 30, 2012, 19:27 Slashman

Rea1One wrote on May 30, 2012, 18:55:
Don't like medieval crap so i've never gotten into Witcher but Cyberpunk I will buy.

Day one purchase!

The Witcher series isn't 'medieval crap'. It's actually one of the better RPG series out there, but don't let that stop you from talking without consulting your brain.

14. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 30, 2012, 18:34 Slashman

Cutter wrote on May 30, 2012, 17:46:
nin wrote on May 30, 2012, 15:35:
Man! First a decent DX sequel, then a Shadowrun game, and now this! Very excited!

Hells yeah! Coupled with the new old-school style CRPG for the Divinity series announced yesterday - and let's not forget Wasteland - 2013 looks like it's shaping up to be the best year in a very long time for CRPG vets.

Wait...didn't you say a while back that after the D3 insanity that you had lost faith in gaming and were considering fading out to a different hobby? Or was I thinking of someone else?

News Comments > CD Projekt RED's RPG Tease
22. Re: CD Projekt RED's RPG Tease May 30, 2012, 10:26 Slashman

Kajetan wrote on May 30, 2012, 04:03:
Jerykk wrote on May 29, 2012, 23:54:
New Vegas isn't cyberpunk.
But there are no elves and orks

That's what I was thinking of when I said it.

17. Re: CD Projekt RED's RPG Tease May 29, 2012, 23:37 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on May 29, 2012, 23:12:
Dmitri_M wrote on May 29, 2012, 21:45:
A RPG free of the swords and sorcery mumbo jumbo? Please say it's so. I love anything cyberpunk. Take my money! (it'll be a first - most of these RPG developers have never earned a dime from me, I love RPG game mechanics just can't stand the early afternoon children's tv show storylines).

Deus Ex! And that's pretty much it. Well, I guess EYE could be considered an RPG... kinda. Shadowrun as well, though that came out a while ago. I'm surprised there haven't been more cyberpunk RPGs. It seems like such an appropriate setting. I guess publishers are still fearful of non-fantasy settings.

New Vegas doesn't count?

News Comments > Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends
1. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 29, 2012, 22:29 Slashman

Waaaaaiiiit...what???  

12. Re: CD Projekt RED's RPG Tease May 29, 2012, 19:18 Slashman

If they are using the Witcher 2 engine for this game, then I imagine that it won't be point and click.

But to echo what others have said here, I'm almost sure to love anything from CD Projekt so they can take my money!

News Comments > Zenimax TMs "Hearth Fire"
6. Re: HearthFire May 29, 2012, 14:15 Slashman

nin wrote on May 29, 2012, 14:04:
yonder wrote on May 29, 2012, 13:50:
Do you guys (the original 3 commentators) honestly not have the IQ to figure out that this is for future projects like, I dunno, a Skyrim expansion?

Do you have the IQ to realize a joke? (Apparently not.)

SHHHH! I want to bask in his indignation for a bit longer.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Patch Today
6. Re: Mass Effect 3 Patch Today May 29, 2012, 14:09 Slashman

StingingVelvet wrote on May 29, 2012, 13:03:
21 days until I can play this game... OMG OMG OMG.

Why the long wait? Are you traveling?

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Announced
13. Re: matthew@welchkin.net May 29, 2012, 14:08 Slashman

Hmmmm...OK, who started the top down rumor?

I'll keep my eye on it but I did kinda like the DKS.

Looks like there is a bunch of aRPGs to play coming up and I'm not lamenting my D3 boycott at all.

News Comments > Op Ed
54. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 11:48 Slashman

Ant wrote on May 29, 2012, 09:40:
Slashman wrote on May 29, 2012, 09:30:
See this is what I don't get.

All reviews say basically the same things: Weak/overdone story, the obvious always online downside, doesn't innovate or add anything significant to the genre, normal mode too easy and item stats are wonky(differences between legendary and rares??). Removal of tweakable stats is questionable.

Then they all go on to say the game is great, give it a 9/10 and advise people to go out and buy it. All of them. Its like they swallowed some kind of mind-altering, Blizzard-slave making drug. Its like if that stuff was present in any other game but Diablo 3 it would be getting a 6 or 7. Instead, it gets a 9.
Yeah. Use apostrophe for "its" (it's = it is).

Bah...I was still waking up. I don't usually do that.

Thanks grammar police person!! Dunce

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Announced
3. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 29, 2012, 11:43 Slashman

Cutter wrote on May 29, 2012, 11:38:
Grr, I hate top-down! Why not a follow-up to DKS? That was a great game!

That would call for 'logic' and 'common sense' to enter the equation again, and Larian figures that they should just jump on the dumb bandwagon while the jumping is good...

News Comments > Zenimax TMs "Hearth Fire"
3. Re: Zenimax TMs May 29, 2012, 11:41 Slashman

What the hell is wrong with these people? Do their lawyers not have things to do?  

News Comments > Op Ed
49. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 09:30 Slashman

See this is what I don't get.

All reviews say basically the same things: Weak/overdone story, the obvious always online downside, doesn't innovate or add anything significant to the genre, normal mode too easy and item stats are wonky(differences between legendary and rares??). Removal of tweakable stats is questionable.

Then they all go on to say the game is great, give it a 9/10 and advise people to go out and buy it. All of them. Its like they swallowed some kind of mind-altering, Blizzard-slave making drug. Its like if that stuff was present in any other game but Diablo 3 it would be getting a 6 or 7. Instead, it gets a 9.

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 01:23 Slashman

Prez wrote on May 29, 2012, 01:11:
The thing is that it doesn't work like Steam.

That was my point actually.

Sorry, I was actually emphasizing your argument, but I guess it did seem like I was making a statement against it.

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 00:33 Slashman

Prez wrote on May 29, 2012, 00:07:
"Its not DRM, its a all-in-one patch-updater, trophy system, in-game web browser and friend service."

Most people either know going in or learn soon enough that Steam is in fact DRM. But it is far less restrictive than Blizzard's garbage and offers more in the way of user conveniences to offset the downsides. Steam does not have to be sold as anything other than what it is, while Blizzard's DRM has to be disguied as something else so as to appear less onerous.

The thing is that it doesn't work like Steam. I can pull my network cable in the middle of all my Steam games and continue to play. If my net is down, I play in offline mode.

B.net may have some social functions built in, but its not like Steam or Impulse when it comes to D3.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed May 28, 2012, 17:38 Slashman

Beelzebud wrote on May 28, 2012, 17:31:
Lord Tea wrote on May 28, 2012, 17:24:
Who would give a shit about D3 in 5, 10 years anyway?

The same type of people that still play Diablo 2, 12 years after its release date.

You'd think that would be obvious...

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed May 28, 2012, 13:25 Slashman

ASeven wrote on May 28, 2012, 12:57:
Another great point made about Diablo3's horrible DRM for SP.

But it improves the quality of the game experience so much!!!

News Comments > Op Ed
47. Re: ahuh? May 28, 2012, 11:15 Slashman

Most successful games don't require high end hardware to run. See all Blizzard titles for examples of this.

Blizzard makes games that can run on your grandma's PC because they hope that your grandma will give those games a try. And unfortunately, that's exactly what happens.

Making games that scale up and down equally well is time-consuming and difficult though. Because the idea is that the game looks and performs decently at both ends of the hardware spectrum. It's really much easier to make a game that performs well on lower end hardware and add in a few features that high end hardware can utilize rather than looking to monopolize the full power of top of the line rigs.

The things is that even the next generation of consoles aren't looking all that impressive on the hardware front. And very few developers are making games aimed squarely at the PC market. And even when they do, they seldom want to target the high end hardware segment. You're not going to find a Hard Reset or Serious Sam 3 popping up every day.

1555 Comments. 78 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo