Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1567 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs
8. Re: Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs Aug 5, 2014, 19:06 Slashman

And for another perspective, there are still millions of morons who think WoW is anything more than a by-the-numbers, cookie-cutter MMO made huge by Blizzard's brand name.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained
3. Re: Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained Aug 5, 2014, 10:07 Slashman

I'm just going to keep hoping for Limit Theory and Elite Dangerous to fulfil my space sim needs.

The last thing I wanted was a space sim MMO in any case.

Egosoft really screwed themselves and their fans with X Rebirth. With the pace that they are rolling out meaningful updates, they might get a decent game in 3 or so years. Give or take...

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added
55. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 4, 2014, 02:30 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 00:16:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 22:03:
Get your ships here!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge?search=package

To your point. While I agree this process is painful I prefer it to the publisher funded model.

I prefer crowd funding myself. What I don't like is how this whole thing is being handled. No one seems to be putting any breaks on it and it is reaching seriously absurd levels.

There is no way I would WANT to play a game where the developers are actively encouraging people to buy their way to the top of the food chain. That's if I was even interested in space sims as a multiplayer experience....which I am not.

There is no way you can tell me that doing things in this manner is the only alternative to publisher funding. Because then Divinity: Original Sin would never have been made.

49. Re: Into the Black Aug 3, 2014, 22:54 Slashman

Ludomancer wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 22:20:
I haven't bought either of these mentioned products, I'm just a voice of reason that you won't listen to because you're too desperate for a nostalgic distraction from the shit day-jobs you were tricked into for the duration of your time on this planet.

Weigh your decisions with the evidence of history and the wisdom to project the outcome from past events.

I'm not big on Star Citizen myself, but if you'e not into the 'nostalgic distraction from shit day-jobs', then why would you even bother posting on a website dedicated to PC gaming? Shouldn't you have something better to do?

News Comments > Sunday Previews
3. Re: Sunday Previews Aug 3, 2014, 18:05 Slashman

From what I heard he's been getting offers. I suspect he won't take any until he at least completes LT1. Not sure how it works but I don't think he can just transfer the LT property to a publisher or another studio. So he has to at least finish it.  

3. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 3, 2014, 12:43 Slashman

Wow...just...wow! Amazed  

News Comments > Sunday Previews
1. Re: Sunday Previews Aug 3, 2014, 12:41 Slashman

Seems like Josh has finally buckled down and increased his speed...again.

Got the feeling he may well pull off something amazing.

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Morning Previews Jul 31, 2014, 09:33 Slashman

Was the guy who wrote The Legend of Korra preview high on something? The whole preview is mostly incoherent.  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Beta Begins
33. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 15:29 Slashman

McTurbo wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:02:
your getting to see the development side of the game.. and some people are crying cause its not feature complete or have x feature they want right now..

It's called human nature at its dumbest. We want nice things except...we don't really want nice things.

The thing about early access is that you can go to the game's forums or talk to other people who bought the EA package and get feedback before you jump in. There is no obligation on a potential buyer's part to pay for EA unless they want to help test the game, play early or take advantage of a cheaper EA price point.

Why are we spending time lamenting people making a choice with more than adequate information available about the product? Don't buy in if you think the developers are somehow waiting to scam you.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Beta Begins
29. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 14:24 Slashman

nin wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 13:53:
"In space, no one can hear ozmodan scream."

Thank god. We don't need him reaching other inhabited worlds...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 27, 2014, 14:23 Slashman

Skyrim? Again???  

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion New Frontiers Edition
8. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion New Frontiers Edition Jul 25, 2014, 14:51 Slashman

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 13:17:
Fun game but I'm still waiting for a proper sequel with MUCH needed multi-core support.

What exactly IS the holdup with a sequel? Can't be that they don't think it will sell.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion New Frontiers Edition
4. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion New Frontiers Edition Jul 25, 2014, 12:38 Slashman

Flatline wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 11:14:
Sins of a Solar Empire: Beating a Dead Horse edition (They were going to call it the "we're out of ideas" edition but thank god good taste prevailed).

Fun game 7 years ago when it first came out.

It's obviously still a fun game to a lot of people if the Steam stats are anything to go by. A daily average of over 1000 players online at any time is pretty good for an old game.

News Comments > Op Ed
57. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 21:02 Slashman

With regards to the stalking and threats aspect of this article, I think that isn't something that can or should be dealt with by the community. Matters of that nature really should be presented to the authorities. Yes, it is horrible. Yes, it crosses the line. I just don't think there is much that the gaming community can do about someone who determinedly stalks someone even away and apart from the regular channels of communication like game forums.

The rest of the points being stated are not new and this isn't a new problem. The solution, IMO, does not start with angry articles of outrage. It is a societal problem that honestly begins with how responsible parents raise their children for the most part. By the time we start seeing the sexist/discriminatory behaviour in a game forum or social media, we're already at the 'too late' stage for the ones doing it.

News Comments > Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed
13. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 22, 2014, 19:45 Slashman

Julio wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 18:47:
They need time to remove content from the current build to ensure DLC is ready for day one.

Zing!!

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam
37. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 18, 2014, 10:54 Slashman

Quinn wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 09:14:
I wonder how it could've been that this panel of designers didn't realize anywhere in the development process that in order to have a succesful MMO, there has to be a good & fun reason for players to band together. Ironically, because ESO had such terrific quests and NPC's/voice-acting... teaming with other players only distracted you from the good stuff.

This is the situation with pretty much every MMO as dictated by the very nature of MMOs. An MMO that works well as a single player game will suffer when it comes to the multiplayer aspect because the experiences are fundamentally opposed.

Teaming up in an MMO is about doing things together you either can't handle alone, or it makes much less sense to pursue alone. Narrative and immersive story don't fit well in there(especially things like quests with multiple paths and moral choices), because it's a bunch of different people. Now if you have a single goal that simply requires multiple players with different talents and abilities, it works much better. The problem then becomes that the story and narrative are going to suffer because it won't become as personal an experience for each player.

MMOs cannot work like single player games and be truly good and the same is the true for the reverse.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam
34. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 18, 2014, 08:48 Slashman

yonder wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 07:38:
PropheT wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 20:00:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 19:41:
With an MMO, you go in with your friends, and if it doesn't work out then you've all lost a lot of money and hundreds of hours.

I have a hard time calling any game I get hundreds of hours out of a bad deal. Hell, if I got hundreds of hours out of it that's already a better deal than 90% of the games I buy.

Depends on if you have fun. You could grind a crappy FF game for 50 hours and really only have four hours of fun.

But I'm assuming that you're referring to hours of fun, not just hours of gameplay.

Some people shoehorn fun into their memories of the most annoyingly grindy and pointless games. This is especially true of MMOs.

The number of hours you spent in a game don't mean anything if you compare that game to every other game. A short 2d platformer is not going to give you 400 hours of gameplay. That has nothing to do with its relative worth if you had a blast playing it.

If we're now at the point where any MMO will do as long as it's an MMO and not the most horrible thing ever, then maybe a step back and some perspective is needed.

Is the game being enjoyed? Or is it some sad sense of nostalgia and need that is feeding that perception

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
40. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 21:57 Slashman

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 18:38:
Also love games where you can heal, rez at will and then a cutscene comes along, a person takes a blow that kills them and I can't do anything about it. First I've seen them take worst all the time in battle, second I can heal or rez any other time dying or dead players. But they die this way and all of a sudden I have amnesia and can't do fuck to save them.

Pretty sure this happens in most RPGs. I can think of a bunch off the top of my head, including several of the Final Fantasy ones.

The alternatives are to never have dramatic cutscenes where people die, make the gameplay unforgiving by ending if any party member falls in combat or design the game so that if any party member falls it can continue if they stay dead. There are drawbacks to each option.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
17. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 02:38 Slashman

1badmf wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 00:48:
for me, the design of the DA series was such that combat was always subservient to the narrative anyway, and in that regard it's done a fine enough job. if in DA3, they've made the world far larger, with more immersive graphics, design, and character interaction, and combat isn't totally unfair one way or another, that's all i need.

The fact us that DA2 sold worse than DA1. That should suggest that people thought it was an overall worse experience.

You can dance around with your 'I'm an oldtimer embracing the new shiny' spiel all you want, but at the end of the day, not giving your target audience what they prefer tends to have a detrimental effect on your selling power.

They are people who think X Rebirth is awesome. Current player numbers would strongly tend to suggest that they are a minority.

DA3 may turn out to be an awesome game. It may turn into DA2 all over again. I don't know. I just know that I have much less confidence in Bioware than I used to. So I'll just wait and see.

News Comments > Limit Theory Delayed
9. Re: Limit Theory Delayed Jul 4, 2014, 18:32 Slashman

I think he mentioned at least a couple times that he doesn't really get motivated to create content. He's much more motivated when producing the framework and driving systems behind the gameworld.

I suspect that may come to present a problem as time goes on. At some point he's going to have to buckle down and fill the game with interesting stuff (or at least the infrastructure to create the interesting stuff).

1567 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo