Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1574 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced
16. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 8, 2014, 22:22 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 20:49:
You guys know there was a free HD teture pack for it, right?

Pretty sure most folks should know about it. I think...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 8, 2014, 20:09 Slashman

siapnar wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 19:27:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 15:46:
Only issue the game had was with the vehicle controls, which I don't see them mentioning.
I stopped playing because the vehicles were so damn arcadey.
That type of driving just didn't fit into the rest of the game

LOL! Seriously?

6. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 8, 2014, 16:18 Slashman

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 16:15:
I might pick it up again if it's cheap enough. I never thought the visuals were the problem, it was the driving that was the big issue.

Also, a lot of the DLC is of the overpowered variety, so depending on what they add, things might quickly get waaaaay too easy. Both Year of the Snake and Nightmare in North Point were actually pretty fun, so having those included is pretty cool.

All in all, since I already own most of it anyway, I doubt I'd pay more than 5 bucks for it, unless the graphical update is truly jaw-dropping.

Pretty much this. Was really hoping for a sequel reveal instead.

News Comments > Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs
43. Re: Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs Aug 7, 2014, 09:11 Slashman

WoW has a decent number of players in Asian countries which don't/can't use regular subscription plans AFAIK.  

37. Re: Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs Aug 6, 2014, 13:41 Slashman

Jamil20 wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 10:52:
Slashman wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 09:26:
...and I still would have preferred a Warcraft 3.

You mean Warcraft 4.

I didn't play much Warcraft 3 single player. Didn't even finish the frozen throne expansion. The story became way too Disney. The custom maps on the other hand were amazing. This is where DotA got started, and where tower defense became big.

Ooops! typo on my part.

And yeah I wasn't a huge fan of the story but I had a lot of fun playing it at LAN parties with my friends and also the custom maps and games mods people made were really worthwhile.

30. Re: Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs Aug 6, 2014, 09:26 Slashman

NKD wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 22:23:
Slashman wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 21:17:
Well I'm sure you can outline a bunch of things that it has which no other MMO has or point out what, exactly, makes it so wonderful. Because none of the people I know who play it could do that apart from : 'It's what everyone else is playing.'

And we all know there are no games in the history of gaming that are fluff or mediocre that have sold well.

I don't really know of many mediocre games have maintained a massive base of paying subscribers for 10 years. Yes, a publisher can easily bamboozle some people with a hype train and get a mediocre game to sell a few million copies. But 3 months later no one is playing, let alone 10 years later.

Obviously Blizzard is doing something right, whether you enjoy the game or not. Your assertion that it is all apparently smoke and mirrors and everyone is just fooling themselves just doesn't hold up to the facts. Some people, apparently a fair number, enjoy this type of game.

I am puzzled as to why people enjoy MOBAs, and I won't be caught dead playing one, but I'm not going to demean them for their taste in games just because I don't understand it.

Other people said it better than I could here already. The social aspects of the game are what kept people. Not that the game was amazing. Not that it required decent skill, not that it did anything innovative. It's Blizzard's weakest game in my mind and I still would have preferred a Warcraft 4.

Blizzard polishes everything to a fault. The way they go about that makes the game seem a lot more interesting than it is.

You jumped on the word 'mediocre' but ignored the word 'fluff'. And that is pretty much what I consider WoW to be. Exceptionally polished and shiny fluff. And as such, it is able to attract young and old alike. And I am willing to bet a significant amount that if any other game company at the time had made WoW, that it would not have had near the level of success it has had.

This isn't dislike of a genre. I played my share of MMOs. Though not so much now. This is dislike of Blizzard's weakest game and wasted opportunity to really do something interesting in the MMO space because they had the support and popularity at the time to make a huge difference.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2014, 13:39.

13. Re: Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs Aug 5, 2014, 21:17 Slashman

NKD wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 20:12:
Slashman wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 19:06:
And for another perspective, there are still millions of morons who think WoW is anything more than a by-the-numbers, cookie-cutter MMO made huge by Blizzard's brand name.

Yes, Blizzard's brand name. I'm sure that's why people play it. Not because they find it fun. They just haven't figured out that it sucks yet!

Genius.

Well I'm sure you can outline a bunch of things that it has which no other MMO has or point out what, exactly, makes it so wonderful. Because none of the people I know who play it could do that apart from : 'It's what everyone else is playing.'

And we all know there are no games in the history of gaming that are fluff or mediocre that have sold well.

8. Re: Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs Aug 5, 2014, 19:06 Slashman

And for another perspective, there are still millions of morons who think WoW is anything more than a by-the-numbers, cookie-cutter MMO made huge by Blizzard's brand name.  

News Comments > Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained
3. Re: Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained Aug 5, 2014, 10:07 Slashman

I'm just going to keep hoping for Limit Theory and Elite Dangerous to fulfil my space sim needs.

The last thing I wanted was a space sim MMO in any case.

Egosoft really screwed themselves and their fans with X Rebirth. With the pace that they are rolling out meaningful updates, they might get a decent game in 3 or so years. Give or take...

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added
55. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 4, 2014, 02:30 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 00:16:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 22:03:
Get your ships here!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge?search=package

To your point. While I agree this process is painful I prefer it to the publisher funded model.

I prefer crowd funding myself. What I don't like is how this whole thing is being handled. No one seems to be putting any breaks on it and it is reaching seriously absurd levels.

There is no way I would WANT to play a game where the developers are actively encouraging people to buy their way to the top of the food chain. That's if I was even interested in space sims as a multiplayer experience....which I am not.

There is no way you can tell me that doing things in this manner is the only alternative to publisher funding. Because then Divinity: Original Sin would never have been made.

49. Re: Into the Black Aug 3, 2014, 22:54 Slashman

Ludomancer wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 22:20:
I haven't bought either of these mentioned products, I'm just a voice of reason that you won't listen to because you're too desperate for a nostalgic distraction from the shit day-jobs you were tricked into for the duration of your time on this planet.

Weigh your decisions with the evidence of history and the wisdom to project the outcome from past events.

I'm not big on Star Citizen myself, but if you'e not into the 'nostalgic distraction from shit day-jobs', then why would you even bother posting on a website dedicated to PC gaming? Shouldn't you have something better to do?

News Comments > Sunday Previews
3. Re: Sunday Previews Aug 3, 2014, 18:05 Slashman

From what I heard he's been getting offers. I suspect he won't take any until he at least completes LT1. Not sure how it works but I don't think he can just transfer the LT property to a publisher or another studio. So he has to at least finish it.  

3. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 3, 2014, 12:43 Slashman

Wow...just...wow! Amazed  

News Comments > Sunday Previews
1. Re: Sunday Previews Aug 3, 2014, 12:41 Slashman

Seems like Josh has finally buckled down and increased his speed...again.

Got the feeling he may well pull off something amazing.

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Morning Previews Jul 31, 2014, 09:33 Slashman

Was the guy who wrote The Legend of Korra preview high on something? The whole preview is mostly incoherent.  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Beta Begins
33. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 15:29 Slashman

McTurbo wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:02:
your getting to see the development side of the game.. and some people are crying cause its not feature complete or have x feature they want right now..

It's called human nature at its dumbest. We want nice things except...we don't really want nice things.

The thing about early access is that you can go to the game's forums or talk to other people who bought the EA package and get feedback before you jump in. There is no obligation on a potential buyer's part to pay for EA unless they want to help test the game, play early or take advantage of a cheaper EA price point.

Why are we spending time lamenting people making a choice with more than adequate information available about the product? Don't buy in if you think the developers are somehow waiting to scam you.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Beta Begins
29. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 14:24 Slashman

nin wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 13:53:
"In space, no one can hear ozmodan scream."

Thank god. We don't need him reaching other inhabited worlds...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 27, 2014, 14:23 Slashman

Skyrim? Again???  

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion New Frontiers Edition
8. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion New Frontiers Edition Jul 25, 2014, 14:51 Slashman

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 13:17:
Fun game but I'm still waiting for a proper sequel with MUCH needed multi-core support.

What exactly IS the holdup with a sequel? Can't be that they don't think it will sell.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion New Frontiers Edition
4. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion New Frontiers Edition Jul 25, 2014, 12:38 Slashman

Flatline wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 11:14:
Sins of a Solar Empire: Beating a Dead Horse edition (They were going to call it the "we're out of ideas" edition but thank god good taste prevailed).

Fun game 7 years ago when it first came out.

It's obviously still a fun game to a lot of people if the Steam stats are anything to go by. A daily average of over 1000 players online at any time is pretty good for an old game.

1574 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo