Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1603 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft Scrapping Always on DRM
17. Re: Ubisoft Scrapping Always on DRM Sep 5, 2012, 11:29 Slashman

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 11:25:
Slashman wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 11:24:
So should I pick up Anno 2070 now? Thinking2

Anno 2070 never had the always-on requirement. It uses Tages which has limited activations and I believe that's not going anywhere.

Meh...so wait for a sale then!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ubisoft Scrapping Always on DRM
15. Re: Ubisoft Scrapping Always on DRM Sep 5, 2012, 11:24 Slashman

So should I pick up Anno 2070 now? Thinking2  

News Comments > City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed
37. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 21:09 Slashman

LArac wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 19:40:

But Corps, do not think

Lee

There...I fixed that for you!

Actually, by now I was thinking we'd be hearing about a City of Heroes 2. I think it was way past time to do that.

A lot of the stuff they did recently was decent. But it was putting a fresh coat of paint on a really old house that needed to be condemned. I spent a lot of time in COH and I came to the point where I realized that nothing they could add(or were willing to try) could make the gameplay any better.

It was locked in the same technology bubble that it launched with in 2004. The mistake they made was not moving on to the next version of the game and trying to keep the old one fresh and relevant.

Those few years of neglect when everyone got routed to work on the cancelled Marvel MMO were what really hurt the game. Instead of furiously expanding the game at a time when it's numbers were highest and people were interested...it was just left to flail around until the NCSoft buyout.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2012, 21:17.

News Comments > City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed
4. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 15:42 Slashman

Weird. I wouldn't think they would have shut down with the amount of free stuff their F2P model offered.

I thought it would have been one of the more successful F2P MMOs out there.

I know it was definitely showing its age though. Ah well...

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Next Month
15. Re: Torchlight 2 Next Month Aug 31, 2012, 10:59 Slashman

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:40:
I'll admit to some ignorance about BL2 and ask, aren't they very different games? I thought BL2 was more of a FPS with TL2 being a ARPG. I mean yeah, there is cross-over but they aren't in direct competition are they?

That's just ridiculous. There was never a time when I was torn between firing up Borderlands and Torchlight 1, Titan Quest or any similar ARPG.

Borderlands is a FPS first and foremost. It has a couple of similarities with items and skills in isometric ARPGs but that's it. The mechanics are different and the skillset to play them is different.

The only way they compete is if someone was going to buy both games and discovers that they came out at the same time and their budget is limited.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming
25. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 30, 2012, 19:09 Slashman

Beamer wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 10:02:
Slashman wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 08:49:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 02:57:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 02:50:
PHJF wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 01:07:
Except Skyrim isn't a PC exclusive?

People have estimated the PC version has outsold both consoles combined.

That's fairly unlikely but I wouldn't be surprised if it at least outsold the PS3 version. I do wonder why Bethesda hasn't released any platform-specific sales figures yet. Maybe their DLC exclusivity contract with MS prohibits them from announcing sales figures if the Xbox version isn't the top-seller. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if such a clause existed. That's how MS rolls.

Why is that unlikely? Skyrim hasn't left the top 20 Steam charts since it launched last November. Console sales for a game peter out very quickly. While they may not have outsold both platforms combined(and I am not sure they haven't), they probably outsold each console by a large margin.

You both overestimate Steam sales and underestimate Xbox 360 sales.

So why don't you enlighten us as to the actual sales numbers. Since I'm sure whatever you pull out of your ass is valid...

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming
17. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 30, 2012, 08:49 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 02:57:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 02:50:
PHJF wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 01:07:
Except Skyrim isn't a PC exclusive?

People have estimated the PC version has outsold both consoles combined.

That's fairly unlikely but I wouldn't be surprised if it at least outsold the PS3 version. I do wonder why Bethesda hasn't released any platform-specific sales figures yet. Maybe their DLC exclusivity contract with MS prohibits them from announcing sales figures if the Xbox version isn't the top-seller. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if such a clause existed. That's how MS rolls.

Why is that unlikely? Skyrim hasn't left the top 20 Steam charts since it launched last November. Console sales for a game peter out very quickly. While they may not have outsold both platforms combined(and I am not sure they haven't), they probably outsold each console by a large margin.

News Comments > Darksiders II Patch Plans
11. Re: Darksiders II Patch Plans Aug 26, 2012, 12:46 Slashman

I'm going to wait for patches before I decide to buy but I did enjoy DS1.

I played the whole game with M/KB and thought the controls worked really well for it. If there is a camera problem with the M/KB as I have heard, then I'm not going to buy it because having the camera fully rotatable with M/KB is a major advantage. If it is 'stuck' to your back and has no options to change the way it works I'm going to have to pass. I don't play any games with controllers. The only controller peripheral I own is my flightstick.

News Comments > Torchlight II Release Date Announcement Next Week
34. Re: Torchlight II Release Date Announcement Next Week Aug 26, 2012, 00:56 Slashman

Truthfully, nothing holds a candle to Titan Quest + Immortal Throne but I don't think THQ is ever going to revive that apart from doing some retarded Dungeon Siege 3 remake.

Grim Dawn is a long way from release and nothing else seems to be rushing to fill the ARPG niche.

That said, I actually enjoyed TL1 for what it was and preordered TL2 based on the things they are improving. I agree that TL1 wasn't much more than an amalgamation of Fate, Diablo 1 and a couple other ARPG ideas, but I don't think they ever advertised it as anything else.

TL2 seems to be a much more serious effort. I hope Runic has the idea of making an MMO firmly out of their minds and stick to making these types of games.

15. Re: Torchlight II Release Date Announcement Next Week Aug 25, 2012, 19:52 Slashman

1AngryGamer wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 19:13:
Torchlight was for 12 year olds. I doubt this will be any better

Who was D3 for?

9. Re: Torchlight II Release Date Announcement Next Week Aug 25, 2012, 18:26 Slashman

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 17:50:
nin wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 16:36:
Julio wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 16:31:
Here's to hoping that this game is much better than TL1 and D3.

Topping D3 won't be hard. TL1 wasn't perfect, but it was fun, and I hope 2 is even better.

I'd actually be very surprised if TL2 was better than D3 even in its current state seeing how sorry TL1 was

I dunno...the ability to actually choose what skills I want to take at a given level rather than someone telling me what I should be using would be a huge advantage all on it's own. Oh and not having someone else tell me what stats I'm taking...you know...because I might get it wrong. Rolleyes

News Comments > Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95%
34. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 11:36 Slashman

Prez wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 11:24:
nin wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 11:19:
Apologies for my crassness

Yeah, it is a crazy day here when Prez starts talking about fucking people "right up the ass".

It made me feel better - I may do it more often. Err.... that's "say" it more often.

That's not a Freudian slip right...? Wiseguy

Anyway. Even if the piracy rate was 99% and you can still make a decent profit from your game, what the hell does it matter?

I mean, lets say your game sells 3 million. Do you really care that 4 million people pirated it? Is the actual game profitable or not? If your games aren't profitable, then don't make those games anymore.

If you want to do F2P because you think single player games won't pay your bills, then by all means, go F2P. There are enough other developers around that will jump in to fill the void. Hell, I've got too many games to play now as is.

Whining about piracy when companies like Bethesda, CD Projekt, Amplitude etc. are doing just fine makes you look like a moron.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Expendables 2
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Expendables 2 Aug 20, 2012, 23:16 Slashman

Lokust wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 21:39:
I'll buy it if I can kill Chuck Norris.

Guess you'll be picking it up sometime around when Chuck ends the universe...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
26. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 20, 2012, 10:13 Slashman

Verno wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 09:49:
tl;dr - lots of small issues end up chipping away and keep Darksiders 2 from being great (again). Definitely a good sale title to grab if you like third person action games with a Zelda twist though. Hopefully by then they fix the PC issues.

That sucks. My problem is that they downsized the dev team before they even finished development of the game. Patching may not happen anytime soon. I'll keep an eye on the Steam page for patches and I may pick it up in the Christmas sale on Steam.

Prototype 2 seems to have similar issues but I already know that will never get a patch with the studio closed.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 20, 2012, 09:34 Slashman

Verno wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 09:13:
A friend of mine got Sleeping Dogs from some dubious key store for $26, I warned him about regional keys but to my surprise it activated just fine through Steam.

I kinda wish I picked that up instead of Darksiders 2. DS2 is alright but it has a lot of the same problems as the first game, the port is incredibly basic and the RPG-lite additions they made don't really suit the game well other than padding it out.

From what I read, DS2 has a lot more issues than that. It has less graphics options than the first game and some folks say that the controls are worse with M/KB. Since I played through the first game just fine with M/KB, I'm not too thrilled to hear that.

I'm trying to figure out if I'll like Sleeping Dogs more than I liked SR3. I really liked the craziness of SR3. Sleeping dogs may seem to too serious now. I mean...will I be able to get a VTOL or use a bee gun? Wacky

News Comments > Game Reviews
13. Re: Game Reviews Aug 19, 2012, 12:06 Slashman

It's interesting that, judging from the LoP forums, some folks are able to play through the game with few crashes but a lot are unable to get past the first mission.

I was following the forums for a while and there were a lot of people saying to wait to buy the game because there was no concrete information on it in terms of gameplay videos. The forum rep kept doging the questions of showing gameplay vids or more indepth previews.

I'm pretty sure the devs knew what was going on and that Kalypso had to know as well. I just don't see how holding off for 3 more months could have hurt them worse than this release. Wall

News Comments > Ubisoft Uplay PC Launches
41. Re: Ubisoft Uplay PC Launches Aug 16, 2012, 21:01 Slashman

Julio wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 20:46:
Dades wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 20:24:
Yeah you'd have to be a fucking moron to install this spyware on your machine

Completely agree, who would put on Uplay after having such an obvious security flaw recently?

Pssst!!! StingingVelvet... Pleased

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Legends of Pegasus
9. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Legends of Pegasus Aug 10, 2012, 19:24 Slashman

WHOOHOO!!! I didn't preorder!!!

Anyway, Endless Space is tiding me over just fine and they released a big patch for it yesterday too.

LoP doesn't seem quite as bad as SoTS2 was on release so they can probably get to a 'decent' state with a few patches.

And for the record, I really don't like GalCiv 2 that much. The ship design feature is huge chunk of time wasting when they could have done better graphics and just let you add modules like ES. It works out EXACTLY the same because everything else is cosmetic. The battles are a yawn fest, and no, I don't play space 4x games just for the empire building.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support
14. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 17:46 Slashman

Dades wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 17:43:
I'm probably alone in this but I thought Terror from the Deep was a better game and way more tense. Something about finding a downed alien ship underwater was just awesome.

Most of the complaints about TFTD were that it was too hard to make it to the endgame. The necessary research items needed etc.

I thought that the game itself was great.

I was excited for Enemy Unknown, but the $60 price tag is not something I'm happy about. I'll wait for a sale.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Aug 5, 2012, 21:59 Slashman

Dades wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 20:02:
The MMORPG genre really needs fresh ideas though but no one will sink the money into it unless its a sure thing.

Here's the irony: There is no 'sure thing' in the MMO space anymore.

EQ clones, WoW clones...the market is saturated. I really have lost interest in MMOs because they [i]refuse[/i] to change. I'm no longer impressed by crappy skill-click-hotbar gameplay, held together by the 'thrill' of playing in a gameworld full of other people. I'm probably not the only one...

I'm sick of MMOs that come close to doing something different and then stop short of actually doing it.

1603 Comments. 81 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo