Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1583 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > 0x10c Interview; Test Footage
24. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 10:33 Slashman

NKD wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 02:23:
And what could The Witcher 2 have been if they didn't spend so much time on art? The percentage of the average "Triple A" game development team made up of artists increases every year.

I dunno. Why don't you tell me what it could have been with your crystal ball. I only know that it was an excellent game that put a lot more expensive to produce games to shame with its quality and after sale support.

Also...the bulk of the budget for 'AAA' games goes into marketing and hype building. If developers got more of it, they could do even more.

Plus certain concepts, like freely designing your own starship like in 0x10c (from polys, not from blocks), would be complicated immensely if we were dealing with some kind of "halfway decent" graphics. Good luck getting fancy textures to look nice over arbitrary shapes.

Minecraft sold over 9.2 million according to sales figure from Notch. I think he could afford to do something slightly more than what we're seeing in that video.

In fact, if a small indie becomes as successful as Notch is saying that Minecraft made them, I think they're almost obligated to hit it out of the park with their next title in all areas compared to their last.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > 0x10c Interview; Test Footage
9. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 02:16 Slashman

NKD wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 01:51:
Cutter wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 00:59:
Hey 1985 called and it wants its graphics back. Thanks but I'll be playing something gorgeous like X Rebirth instead.

Might as well call it X: Watered Down or EVE Online: Single Player Offline Mode.

Not even the same genre. By the way graphics whores such as yourself are the reason we can't have nice things. Gotta spend 80 billion dollars on artists.

Because of course, halfway decent graphics means that the rest of the game has to be crap. Gee...I wonder how The Witcher 2 team did it?

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch
38. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 10:01 Slashman

ochentay4 wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 09:44:
Slashman wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 23:32:
And finally the game unlocked for me and a patch to boot!!!

I'm playing normal/ironman. I don't think I have the cajones for classic/ironman. I'll attempt that once my but is finished getting kicked on normal. Dunce
Hi, its COJONES not CAJONES. Cojones=Balls / Cajones/Drawer. Nevertheless, Im happy for you! I couldnt buy it yet!

Wait...is that drawer like the thing you pull out of a desk or drawers like underwear? If it's the latter, it could still technically work for that sentence.

Also, I have the tutorial enabled for my first game, I assume it will eventually unlock everything and let you do whatever you want after you cover the basics right?

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch
20. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 11, 2012, 23:32 Slashman

And finally the game unlocked for me and a patch to boot!!!

I'm playing normal/ironman. I don't think I have the cajones for classic/ironman. I'll attempt that once my but is finished getting kicked on normal. Dunce

News Comments > Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced
68. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 10, 2012, 21:24 Slashman

I'm really intrigued. But I just don't know if he can possibly deliver on what he's promising. Not without some of those features being seriously compromised. I just can't see it happening all in one go.

In all honesty, I'm more interested in a decent, single-player space flight sim(preferably Privateer style).

Having a completely separate and fulfilling single player, offline experience plus the persistent online universe is a bit much for me to believe.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
115. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 10, 2012, 15:26 Slashman

Prez wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 14:40:
IMO they need to dial down Classic just a bit, because as it is now calling it 'classic' is retarded. The old game wasn't near that hard.

Basically yeah. In truth your soldiers dropped like flies in the original too; the difference being you could field a squad of 14 so the mission wasn't FUBAR if 4 squaddies eat a plasma bolt. In XCOM, it's a fail. On Classic mode I finished several missions with only one remaining soldier, having lost 3 highly trained soldiers in the process. 2 or 3 missions like that will easily put you into a death spiral as enemies get tougher and your fielding nothing but rookies. I lost my first 3 classic difficulty games like that - no fun. It feels as though there ought to be a difficulty level in between Normal and Classic.

People are scaring me into playing normal around here...

I really need tomorrow to get here already!!! Wreck

99. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 10, 2012, 10:39 Slashman

OK...now I'm thinking I'm going to go normal/Ironman.

One...more...stinking...day...

55. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 17:50 Slashman

Prez wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 17:43:
Well I've been playing the hell out of it and it really is well done. I am doing my best to beat down that voice that pipes up every so often to remind me how different this is than the original and having marginal success. I definitely love the challenge - I have been wiped out on several missions now, and (like the original) it is really hard to recover from a disastrous mission in which you lose all of your best soldiers and your global approval rating bottoms out.

What the game does, it does extremely well. But I have complaints (surprise surprise). I am not so enamored with the fact that there are no base defense missions. Those consistently were some of the most intense, nerve-wracking missions in the first game (and it was also neat to run around inside something you built yourself) and it is a crime that this feature didn't make it in. Also, I remember fondly attacking alien bases as they started popping up all over the world - those were awesomely difficult and terrifying, but their not here either. My biggest concern, the lack of action point movement, is not as jarring a change as I expected and in fact it works really well. I lamented he lack of randomized maps, and I still do; this is mitigated somewhat by a large variety and randomness of starting points, but I still wish they were in here. Squad size, another huge concern of mine, is still a sticking point with me but it is not a deal-breaker. I would have liked to see squad size upped to 6 at the start and expandable to 8 though. Despite these gripes, the game is extremely fun, challenging, and addicting - three critical trademarks of the X-COM brand so that is a relief.

I hope the game sells well enough to warrant a sequel with those crucial features added back in. Firaxis may be on the verge of doing what began to seem impossible - pleasing hardcore X-COM fans with a modern re-imagining.

Wow Prez, if I hadn't already preordered it you would have sold me.

As it stands...I have to wait 2 days to find out how good it is!!! Furious

50. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 16:42 Slashman

Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 15:05:
Slashman wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 14:54:
Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 14:34:
Slashman wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 13:49:
What really pisses me off is that I have to wait a whole 2 extra days to play just because I'm not in the US. Why in the hell do I have to wait when I pre-ordered and paid the same money as everyone else???

And sometimes you'll get it first. Some games will launch on Friday in the UK and the next Tuesday in the US.

Blame your brick & mortar system. It isn't like this hasn't been discussed to death. It will be broken soon, but for the time being every country still operates on its standard delivery dates. In part because there's the belief that more people will see something online and expect it to be in stores than there are people will see it online in other regions and expect it to be available in their own.

That would make more sense if I was even in Europe. I'm in the freaking Caribbean and Steam doesn't even treat me as a european customer. Maybe I'm outside classification or some such nonsense.

Do movies/games typically come out on Thursdays for you?

I agree it's silly, but given that it's about a billions degrees below zero in the US I consider it a worthy tradeoff for the awesome weather you're likely having. No matter what unfair advantage we're getting, it's a tradeoff for crappy weather!

So I have to get penalized for having decent weather now? Pout

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 14:54 Slashman

Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 14:34:
Slashman wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 13:49:
What really pisses me off is that I have to wait a whole 2 extra days to play just because I'm not in the US. Why in the hell do I have to wait when I pre-ordered and paid the same money as everyone else???

And sometimes you'll get it first. Some games will launch on Friday in the UK and the next Tuesday in the US.

Blame your brick & mortar system. It isn't like this hasn't been discussed to death. It will be broken soon, but for the time being every country still operates on its standard delivery dates. In part because there's the belief that more people will see something online and expect it to be in stores than there are people will see it online in other regions and expect it to be available in their own.

That would make more sense if I was even in Europe. I'm in the freaking Caribbean and Steam doesn't even treat me as a european customer. Maybe I'm outside classification or some such nonsense.

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 13:49 Slashman

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews
13. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 12:13 Slashman

Well I did get a copy of Civ 5 with my preorder. Now I'm addicted to Civ 5 as well!!!

I hate you Firaxis!!!!!! Where the hell am I going to find the time for all this, including my second playthrough of Torchlight 2 with the Outlander?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
49. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 23:13 Slashman

Classic Ironman is where I'll be headed as well. It's been too long since there were good games that made you stare defeat in the face with no chance of a do-over.  

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 20:48 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 20:37:
Will you jerks shut up?! I'm trying not to cave on pre-ordering this and you're making it almost impossible!

MUAHAHAHAHA!!!! You know you want to...give in to the dark side!!

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 15:58 Slashman

Turglar wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 15:51:
XCOM looks decent, but firaxis isn't getting any more of my money until they add pitboss to civ 5 like they promised some 2 years ago.

OK...wtf is Pitboss?? I'm a Civ newbie. Only started playing Civ 5 a week or so ago.

News Comments > Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt
25. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 22:58 Slashman

Thankfully I did not.

But I am sad that another promising space 4x game went down the toilet.

News Comments > Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt
19. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 20:03 Slashman

The writing was kind of on the wall though. I was following this game on the Kalypso forums and there was never any word on there from any of the actual dev team...just from Kalypso mods.

They never released any gameplay vids or gave any hands-on previews. People had been asking them to provide beta access for preorders. There was never anything.

The only thing they ever released was some kind of online magazine type thing with all this positive spin and then the game went live and the crap hit the fan. Hard.

The German players got it first and flooded the forums with all the bugs they were finding...and there were heaps and heaps. From there, everyone knew what was going on... basically another SotS 2, except this time from an unknown developer with no history of sticking to their game for the long haul like Kerberos.

All Kalypso did was give out free game codes for Dungeons and Patrician 4. And then they stopped even that. There was never a refund offer like Kerberos did with SotS 2. Steam actually relented and gave refunds to some people when they protested hard enough and others waited to see if they could fix the game. Guess that will never happen.

News Comments > Morning Previews
15. Re: Morning Previews Oct 6, 2012, 00:28 Slashman

Honestly, I can't see any reason not to be excited about this game.

After reading everything that went into its development, and seeing the preview feedback, I can't think that it won't be a great game.

I played and loved the first two X-Coms, but I wasn't necessarily looking forward to a perfect duplication with updated graphics. I think this will work out just fine.

News Comments > Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Demo
12. Re: Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Demo Oct 5, 2012, 09:13 Slashman

The weird thing is that its not a very difficult concept for a game. It's not like they were attempting something that's never been done before.

Why is it so hard to make workable pathfinding? Further...how could they not be aware that it was so horrible and release the game like that in the first place?

News Comments > Serious Sam 3: Jewel of the Nile Next Week
7. Re: Serious Sam 3: Jewel of the Nile Next Week Oct 5, 2012, 09:10 Slashman

SS3 was better than SS2 for sure. I still really like Second Encounter but I don't have many complaints with SS3.

Not sure about picking up this DLC though. Too many games. TL2, Civ5, Endless Space with the new add-on and soon XCom as well.

I need some kind of time manipulation device... Thinking

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2012, 09:17.

1583 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo