Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1497 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > FTL: Faster Than Light This Week
50. Re: Re:Indie Rant Sep 12, 2012, 21:42 Slashman

Yakubs wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 21:02:

You don't get it do you? FTL is a low-budget strategy roguelike hybrid intended to be developed in a short amount of time. If you'd take a moment to use your brain, you'd realize what kind of audience a low-budget strategy roguelike hybrid has.

My opinion on graphics in indie games has nothing to do with what kind of audience FTL has. You seem to be having trouble accepting that. Take all the time you need.

I'll give you a hint -- A TINY F*CKING AUDIENCE.

Here's a hint from me: I don't care. There are some games I'm just not gonna buy if they don't appeal to me enough and yes, sometimes graphics can be a deal breaker.

*Gasp* Imagine that! There are people who don't like the same things as you do! I'm sure you'll eventually get over it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Re:Indie Rant Sep 12, 2012, 19:49 Slashman

Yakubs wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 18:41:
Honestly, go back to the world of AAA sequels immediately and never return. Console releases should suit your "taste" perfectly.

Ah yes! The overreacting moron. Where would the internet be without people who don't read entire posts carefully before mouthing off?

I'm not saying that every indie game needs AAA quality graphics. I never mentioned that I want realistic graphics.

I dunno...have you seen Bastion, Orcs Must Die, Shadowgrounds, or Trine? All of those are from the large AAA publishers no doubt.

My point is that there is, for me, a saturation point where I don't need another game with 8-bit looking graphics just because it's an 'indie'.

It isn't a matter of going back to anything. I play all kinds of games. I own Revenge of the Titans, Frozen Synapse, Aquaria and Braid to name a few. That still doesn't mean I want all my indie games to look like they got made for the Atari 2600.

Good frikkin' grief...now we have indie elitist snobs!

25. Re: Re:Indie Rant Sep 12, 2012, 17:47 Slashman

Sorry as I am to say it, I'm going to have to add my vote to the 'Tired of crappy graphics in indie games' camp.

Make no mistake, I've got quite a few of them in my Steam list and I enjoyed several of them. But I have a relatively powerful PC and I'm tired of running games that look like they're from 1989.

Good graphics don't make a good game, but they add a lot when paired with good gameplay. Frankly, I'm tired of sacrificing one for the other. Indies need to step up a bit. I'm not going to buy another 3 or 4 Terrarias.

News Comments > Akaneiro: Demon Hunters Video; Beta Signups
4. Re: Akaneiro: Demon Hunters Video; Beta Signups Sep 12, 2012, 00:11 Slashman

Another F2P aRPG because that niche is so empty right now...  

News Comments > Path of Exile Free Weekend
13. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 11, 2012, 15:24 Slashman

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 14:15:
Oh, I just realized I have a spare beta key. Who wants it?

I'll take it!

News Comments > The Secret World Lead Laid Off
16. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 12:26 Slashman

Trying to make MMOs in the traditional vein of WoW and Everquest will no longer work!!

How hard is that for people to understand? You can't do things like the old days anymore. People aren't going to pay for pointless grindfests and mediocre combat systems just because you try to slap a little more deep backstory onto them.

Everyone who would pay for that kind of thing is already paying for it and they really don't want to leave it for more of the same. Even despite them saying so.

News Comments > More Chris Roberts Game Teasing
9. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 10, 2012, 22:13 Slashman

As long as it's a proper space flight sim and not Freelancer. I like using my flightstick.

Also...please do not let it be an MMO. Please!!!

News Comments > Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow
34. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 10, 2012, 09:30 Slashman

RailWizard wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 00:48:
It was pointed out to me recently that this site is a popular place for posts of people within the industry.

It does not surprise ONE BIT that you don't understand where I am coming from.

Actually I kinda do see where you're coming from, I was just hoping I was wrong and you weren't that retarded. Ah well, life is full of disappointments...

This is pre-emptive bitching. Why? Because I like Valve and I see where they are going. So fuck YOU if you do not understand.

Retarded, foul mouthed and clairvoyant. A winning combo if I've ever seen one. Good for you.

edit: actually to clear things up, MY advice to Valve is to become relevant again. I.E. RELEASE some games that you have developed.

I'm sure they were wringing their hands just waiting for you to give them the direction they need to move forward in.

News Comments > Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow
22. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 10, 2012, 00:33 Slashman

RailWizard wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 23:56:
nin wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 23:12:
Allright, it's almost time for you all to stop feeding the mogwai...

Yeah that's cute and all, maybe it will even sway a few of the peons around here, but really, you couldn't even answer the question without resorting to elementary level attacks.

All that really matters is the product. The fact that they treat their employes well(allegedly) is all well and good, but the bottom line is that I as a consumer don't really care about that shit.

I want my product. The one that I asked for, and none other.

Did you pre-order something and not get it from Valve? What the hell are you even talking about? Do they owe you money or something?

News Comments > On Darksiders II Sales
32. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 9, 2012, 02:40 Slashman

Prez wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 01:11:
Slashman wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 00:40:

And as to the matter of co-op...DS2 doesn't have companions AFAIK. So what is the basis for thinking that co-op was some kind of huge missed opportunity?

That point was more of a general observation than specific to Darksiders 2. It was a tangent off of the original debate as to whether DS2's lack of success was due to not having it. (A view that I dont share fwiw)

Fair enough. I will likely pick DS2 up on sale in the holiday sale period on Steam.

28. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 9, 2012, 00:40 Slashman

PHJF wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 23:44:
The first game wasn't a sprawling mess filled with fluff content.

So you're in favor of more linear gameplay with less to do? I thought that was the exact opposite of what most PC gamers wanted. Clearly I'm uninformed.

And as to the matter of co-op...DS2 doesn't have companions AFAIK. So what is the basis for thinking that co-op was some kind of huge missed opportunity?

18. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 20:40 Slashman

bigspender wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 19:44:
when will publishers realise that many people use their gaming time as a social event - games need co-op - especially if they are these sort of hack and slash games, or adventuring games.

i played about 1/2 way through the first game, but i got bored playing on my own and didnt feel the need to return since I want to play other coop games with my friends.

also releasin a single player game at the same time as highly anticipated MMO (GW2) doesnt seem to be a good idea, just about everyone i talk to at work etc is playing it.

Some people actually like single player games and don't need someone else to tell them when they're having fun. I know it comes as a shock to you, but a fair number of people even enjoyed Skyrim. Amazed

13. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 19:07 Slashman

I finished Darksiders 1 with a mouse and keyboard with zero problems. I have no idea how someone could have trouble finishing the game due to the controls. In DS1 at least, the controls were fine.

I'm curious to play 2, but I don't think the $50 price point is right for this on PC. The first one launched at $30. They should have kept that price point on PC for 2.

News Comments > Ubisoft Scrapping Always on DRM
41. Re: Ubisoft Scrapping Always on DRM Sep 5, 2012, 15:07 Slashman

Dmitri_M wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 13:58:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 11:25:
Slashman wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 11:24:
So should I pick up Anno 2070 now? Thinking2

Anno 2070 never had the always-on requirement. It uses Tages which has limited activations and I believe that's not going anywhere.

On their official forum the developers claim the activations reset to their original total each month.

Crap...I might actually pick it up next time there is a sale then. It never got down low enough in the summer sale to make me eye it. Maybe in the holiday sale it will hit -75%

17. Re: Ubisoft Scrapping Always on DRM Sep 5, 2012, 11:29 Slashman

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 11:25:
Slashman wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 11:24:

Anno 2070 never had the always-on requirement. It uses Tages which has limited activations and I believe that's not going anywhere.

Meh...so wait for a sale then!

15. Re: Ubisoft Scrapping Always on DRM Sep 5, 2012, 11:24 Slashman

News Comments > City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed
37. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 21:09 Slashman

LArac wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 19:40:

But Corps, do not think

Lee

There...I fixed that for you!

Actually, by now I was thinking we'd be hearing about a City of Heroes 2. I think it was way past time to do that.

A lot of the stuff they did recently was decent. But it was putting a fresh coat of paint on a really old house that needed to be condemned. I spent a lot of time in COH and I came to the point where I realized that nothing they could add(or were willing to try) could make the gameplay any better.

It was locked in the same technology bubble that it launched with in 2004. The mistake they made was not moving on to the next version of the game and trying to keep the old one fresh and relevant.

Those few years of neglect when everyone got routed to work on the cancelled Marvel MMO were what really hurt the game. Instead of furiously expanding the game at a time when it's numbers were highest and people were interested...it was just left to flail around until the NCSoft buyout.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2012, 21:17.

News Comments > City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed
4. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 15:42 Slashman

Weird. I wouldn't think they would have shut down with the amount of free stuff their F2P model offered.

I thought it would have been one of the more successful F2P MMOs out there.

I know it was definitely showing its age though. Ah well...

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Next Month
15. Re: Torchlight 2 Next Month Aug 31, 2012, 10:59 Slashman

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:40:
I'll admit to some ignorance about BL2 and ask, aren't they very different games? I thought BL2 was more of a FPS with TL2 being a ARPG. I mean yeah, there is cross-over but they aren't in direct competition are they?

That's just ridiculous. There was never a time when I was torn between firing up Borderlands and Torchlight 1, Titan Quest or any similar ARPG.

Borderlands is a FPS first and foremost. It has a couple of similarities with items and skills in isometric ARPGs but that's it. The mechanics are different and the skillset to play them is different.

The only way they compete is if someone was going to buy both games and discovers that they came out at the same time and their budget is limited.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming
25. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 30, 2012, 19:09 Slashman

Beamer wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 10:02:
Slashman wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 08:49:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 02:57:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 02:50:
PHJF wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 01:07:
Except Skyrim isn't a PC exclusive?

People have estimated the PC version has outsold both consoles combined.

That's fairly unlikely but I wouldn't be surprised if it at least outsold the PS3 version. I do wonder why Bethesda hasn't released any platform-specific sales figures yet. Maybe their DLC exclusivity contract with MS prohibits them from announcing sales figures if the Xbox version isn't the top-seller. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if such a clause existed. That's how MS rolls.

Why is that unlikely? Skyrim hasn't left the top 20 Steam charts since it launched last November. Console sales for a game peter out very quickly. While they may not have outsold both platforms combined(and I am not sure they haven't), they probably outsold each console by a large margin.

You both overestimate Steam sales and underestimate Xbox 360 sales.

So why don't you enlighten us as to the actual sales numbers. Since I'm sure whatever you pull out of your ass is valid...

1497 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo