Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1555 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Feb 16, 2013, 09:17 Slashman

Dev wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 06:50:
GMG has complete Max Payne 3 (the game and all DLC) for $14 after voucher. Or if you are like me and already had the base game, its about $8 for the season pass containing all DLC.
http://www.greenmangaming.com/search/?q=max+payne+3
20% off voucher code
GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS

I have the base game and just can't bring myself to even contemplate multiplayer in a Max Payne game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines
39. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 11:04 Slashman

There is no way they didn't know it was this bad and they still put it out.

I don't have much sympathy for them. If you make something that's flat out bad...it doesn't deserve to do well.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 09:48 Slashman

Hey Darks...where are you now to defend the game we horrible Bluesnewsers unfairly called crappy before release?  

News Comments > Games for Windows LIVE Issue
12. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 11, 2013, 19:19 Slashman

DangerDog wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 19:08:
Games for Windows LIVE tech support.

Is your computer plugged in?

DOH! Dunce

News Comments > Impossible Studios Closing
10. Re: Impossible Studios Closing Feb 9, 2013, 08:37 Slashman

Well the guys who worked on Vanguard: Saga of Heroes got the axe in the middle of a parking lot...  

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced
59. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 21:16 Slashman

I'll say that, after all the years I've spent gaming, I can pretty well tell when I'll like something or not.

I can also tell when my not liking something is simply the product of it being a different genre than I like(like point and click adventure games) vs. it being simply a game designed in a way that turns me off.

There are games that will cause a large portion of Bluesers to be split down the middle. Then there are games which a lot of folks will say aren't worth it. Those games will still find people who like them. And some people will literally play anything in a given genre and say it is great.

In terms of pre-judging a game, it is absolutely sometimes valid to form an opinion based on what is presented by the developers. Especially when they tout certain features as major selling points that you greatly dislike. If a developer makes a game and sells it based on including QTEs as often as possible, for instance, than you can pretty much bet I'll hate the hell out of it. And nothing you can say will make me say it's going to be a great game.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced
26. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 14:54 Slashman

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 14:45:
Darks wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 14:20:
If the fucking shoe fits than wear it, got it Veron? I post what I did because of the same shit like this. Got it??

The internet tough guy routine just makes you look silly Derks Glasses2

I honestly don't get it. There have been a million other games that people on Blues have said they hated before they launched. What makes this one so special to Darks?

Some of them have been spot on too. I remember the days of some folks staunchly defending Dragon Age 2. Then it actually came out...

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Revealed for Next Year
4. Re: The Witcher 3 Revealed for Next Year Feb 5, 2013, 08:54 Slashman

Wash Washburne wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 08:43:
I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing is happening

Convert it into gold and throw that. You're bound to get a reaction of some sort...

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Revealed for Next Year
1. Re: The Witcher 3 Revealed for Next Year Feb 5, 2013, 08:42 Slashman

So yeah...GIMME ALREADY!!!!!  

News Comments > Three Dog on Fallout Tease Fallout
26. Re: Three Dog on Fallout Tease Fallout Jan 21, 2013, 18:00 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 17:38:
Slashman wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 17:00:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 14:50:
Slashman wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 13:54:
Rattlehead wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 12:40:
I have a good theory I why many people don't like 3dog. Hint: Because he's black.

Strange is the day I find myself in agreement with Rattlehead...

Because that matters how exactly? He's a VOICE actor. WTF indeed.

That's exactly the point. He's a voice actor.

He did a pretty decent job. What the hell would it matter if he appeared in the next Fallout game for whatever reason?

What's the actual reason for people not liking him? Hell, everybody thought Claptrap was great in Borderlands and you can't get much more annoying than that. What's (unfortunate) about him being an NPC in the game?

Who would have been a better choice for the part and why?

Sorry, Slash, it sounded like you were agreeing with Rattlehead, but it sounds like you didn't read his vile "hint". Or perhaps I misread Rattlehead. He gave a disgusting reason that people didn't like 3Dog, but perhaps he was talking about other people, and not something he personally subscribed to.

I didn't think he was implying that he meant the reason for himself(or at least I hope he wasn't).

Although, I have seen plenty of times on internet forums where people express dislike for an actor or character and sometimes that's the only conclusion I'm left with because the people or characters they compare them to aren't any better.

I thought he pretty much did his part well.

22. Re: Three Dog on Fallout Tease Fallout Jan 21, 2013, 17:00 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 14:50:
Slashman wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 13:54:
I have a good theory I why many people don't like 3dog. Hint: Because he's black.

Because that matters how exactly? He's a VOICE actor. WTF indeed.

That's exactly the point. He's a voice actor.

He did a pretty decent job. What the hell would it matter if he appeared in the next Fallout game for whatever reason?

What's the actual reason for people not liking him? Hell, everybody thought Claptrap was great in Borderlands and you can't get much more annoying than that. What's (unfortunate) about him being an NPC in the game?

Who would have been a better choice for the part and why?

11. Re: Three Dog on Fallout Tease Fallout Jan 21, 2013, 13:54 Slashman

News Comments > Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III
49. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 20, 2013, 13:36 Slashman

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 13:22:
I simply couldn't keep playing a shallow game like an ARPG over and over again. MMO's even have more hooks to keep one playing longer. I also wouldn't spend more then a $25 on a top/down ARPG game, it's old-school, small team material now. Bring that up into a nice 3rd person perspective, with the same over the top action, now you can get my fifty. But when it's Blizzard...

For me, Torchlight 2 was the right kind of game for the right kind of price.

29. Re: Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III Jan 20, 2013, 00:20 Slashman

I think the saddest part is that Blizzard's reputation alone will continue to let them do whatever they feel like and still be a successful company.

When Ubisoft pulled this, they felt the loss in sales and people not supporting their products as much as before to the point where they stopped with online only DRM. But if Blizzard pulls it, complaints are as far as it gets.

Everyone excuses them. From game reviewers to blind players, because if it is a Blizzard product, it must be worth the money, inconvenience and dissatisfaction to play it.

22. Re: Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III Jan 19, 2013, 21:51 Slashman

Prez wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 21:37:
They're listening alright. They're listening to the sound of $600 million rolling in from the 10 million sales of Diablo 3. With that kind of validation for the deliberate regression of a once-great franchise they have no mandate to do anything differently.

They'd listen more if people voted with their wallets instead of internet forum rage.

I have neither D3 nor Starcraft 2 and I managed to live without them.

People knew that D3 was designed around forcing you to the auction house to cash in on RMT and bought the thing anyway. Mixed messages like that only serve to make them think we really do want any crap they dish out.

6. Re: Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III Jan 19, 2013, 18:01 Slashman

NKD wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 17:43:
Paketep wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 17:23:
Fuck those losers (Wilson and Pardo).

Glad to see that even the blizzard fanboys are seeing the truth.

It doesn't matter what they see if they keep handing over the money. Gamers have NEVER had a problem complaining, they have a problem making a stand on those complaints. Talking a lot of shit to people anonymously on the web is easy. Putting down the crack pipe instead of just bitching about the low quality of the crack is a lot harder.

But this is Blizzard, so even then. They only ship a title every so often, and they have enough cash flow to survive multiple flops. By the time the next title is ready, the rage will have subsided and people will just buy the shit because its Blizzard.

So true...

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Hint?
3. Re: The Witcher 3 Hint? Jan 15, 2013, 16:44 Slashman

Stop dropping hints about hints already. If you have an announcement, then just make it.  

News Comments > TERA Going Free-to-Play Next Month
17. Re: TERA Going Free-to-Play Next Month Jan 9, 2013, 19:32 Slashman

I'd like to know why they all use the same stupid price point. When is someone going to get creative and release a $5 or $10 subscription MMO with realistically decent content and some innovation?

News Comments > Firefly Universe Online
4. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 5, 2013, 17:33 Slashman

I'd still like to punch the idiot who pulled the plug on the series in the mouth(while wearing steel knuckles).  

News Comments > Op Ed
56. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2012, 09:18 Slashman

Draugr wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 00:01:
You're anecdote boils down to 'I don't think women really are into games because when I went to LAN parties I think one of the women only played because of her boyfriend, and the other two I don't consider good enough to be real gamers'...Strange how bad players at LAN parties who have penises aren't written off in such a fashion. No one questions them about being 'real gamers' they're just shitty players.

The other two(one of whom is a good friend of mine) were basically there because they were friends with the group of us who played games together. Neither of them played much outside of LAN parties. Certainly neither of them invested into gaming systems or even bought games with the rest of us.

I think it's silly to take an anecdote as evidence alone, which you're basically doing. The very fact that your anecdote has 3 women in it kind of proves the point that there are women who play these kind of games. Certainly it is a male dominated hobby, but they aren't just conjured up or only there to play because of a man as you and others seem to imply. I mean there were three examples in your story, but you focused on the woman who was there because of her boyfriend, the only one of the three that reinforced your argument.

Well here's some more anecdotal evidence for you. I've been a computer tech and IT admin for 17 years and have the opportunity to see thousands of systems as they come into our workshop for repairs. I have yet to see a system belonging to a woman come in with games like those that weren't installed by her kids or boyfriend. And more often than not, they want them uninstalled. But maybe all those women are too embarrassed about the fact that they play Dawn of War and Counterstrike, so they blame it on their kids and husbands.

If I told a story about how there were no black people at the LAN parties I attended growing up, and therefore it leads me to believe that black people aren't into video games (or aren't into the same video games as white people,) I think you'd consider that pretty absurd. This is what you're asking us to do with your anecdote.

If you grew up in a predominantly white neighborhood, then even though I'd say your argument was flawed(and you were probably overly sheltered), I'd at least understand why you made it. However, we aren't talking about a specific ethnicity that is concentrated in a specific region, we are talking about a gender that's pretty much everywhere(unless you're a monk living in a male-only monastery). Women actually outnumber men where I live.

There are also probably more female players that play the kind of games you say they don't than you'd think. You play hundreds of faceless people when you play online, some of those people are going to be women. Obviously you'd be none the wiser unless you asked.

Except I do ask quite often. As I said, I see thousands of computers belonging to all sorts of people due to my job. Generally when I find games on them, I ask who installed them because a lot of people get upset over the fact that their kids are using their PCs for games.

I'm not saying that women gamers who play those games dont' exist at all. I'm just saying that I seriously doubt that their numbers are very high. I can totally believe that they flourish in the casual market. I just don't think that the numbers for more traditional hardcore games are there.

Because some people would prefer things to change, and do what they can to affect it instead of just keeping their head down. The consolation prize I guess, is people like yourself who don't want to play halo because of toxic environment can reap the benefits. As you said you don't play these games for the very reasons she is talking about them anyway, so if this is really where the focus is I don't see why you would be concerned.

I don't have an issue with people wanting to change XBox Live(and goodluck trying to correct bad parenting from the internet side). My issue is that all these articles lump all aspects of gaming into the same boat as if XBox Live represents every gaming community for every genre of game ever made. If there is a problem with behavior on XBox Live, then fine. That doesn't mean that the community for Endless Space has the same problem. Or that the community for Tribes Ascend has the same problem.

1555 Comments. 78 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo