Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1703 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Mar 6, 2015, 07:28 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 02:33:
That's the whole you-only-get-one-spaceship-and-you-can't-change-it thing?

Yes that is it. And it's an ugly as hell spaceship complete with an annoying as hell co-pilot with a personality so grating, you want to throw her out the airlock. Which would actually do nothing to the game as she can't even fly the damn ship if you switch to VR mode to control a remote drone.

X-Rebirth. Tossing out everything that came before and replacing it with meh...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Source 2 Games Must Use Steam
42. Re: Source 2 Games Must Use Steam Mar 5, 2015, 23:59 Slashman

Slick wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 16:52:
1) The bandwidth cost of a game, even if I download it 100 times, costs literally pennies. The one thing I've taken from the recent FCC title ruling is that upon close examination, the ISPs make over %99 profit on their internet sales. That's including all their own costs, employees, marketing, infrastructure. %99+ profit. I think that %30 of a $60 game is an outrageous cost for the bandwidth used.

That's irrelevant since Valve isn't an ISP. They pay ISPs the same as everyone else for bandwidth.

2) the difference, again, with valve and EA/bliz/Ubi is that the latter makes games, and they're offering a service for their own in-house games. very big difference. using Steam to buy battlefield makes as much sense as buying Half-Life on Origin. You're just handing $20 a copy to the competition for no real reason, as they put exactly zero dollars towards building and developing the game.

For large, AAA titles it makes sense to want to sell it on your own service if you're a large publisher. The majority of games on Steam aren't from large publishers. And unless you think every game developer should create their own digital distribution service, complete with high level tools for stat tracking, updating and online bug tracking of all their own games, you have no point.

Again. The people who should be complaining about this (the actual developers), don't agree. Most devs want to use Steam. You seem to think that all Steam is, is a storefront. Talk to actual developers who use the service and you will see that it is not. Even putting out patches for games is a headache on other digital distribution platforms. With sometimes weeks required to get an update that is available on Steam on day 1 due to how their service works.

Stop talking out of your ass about stuff you don't know and talk to the people who actually use this stuff to make their living.

Also. People go on about this 30% that Steam charges. Show me some proof that other digital retailers are offering more competitive pricing as well as all the other tools that Steam gives to developers for free.

News Comments > Source 2 Games Must Use Steam
27. Re: Source 2 Games Must Use Steam Mar 5, 2015, 14:56 Slashman

Slick wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 13:47:
Also, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. All someone needs to do is code a launcher program which manages all of your, well, launchers. All you'd see is your list of games, and then when you doubleclick them, it automatically launches the e-store which corresponds, and then the game. You'd never have to interact with the e-store, you'd wait a few seconds, and then your game would start. it's brilliant I tell you!

Then you'd be able to support the developers themselves by not buying from 3rd party corporations. Instead of letting a corporation which had NOTHING to do with the game's development skim %30, (of gross, which is insane. %30 of net would be a hard pill to swallow. But %30 of gross? that's insane) More money would go directly to the developers. Is altruistic at worst, and will come back in the form of higher game budgets for us gamers to enjoy at best.

It's the perfect solution, I don't know why anyone hasn't thought of it yet. The ability to somehow manage games from all sorts of competing developers, with the sense that your collection was still somehow all in the same place. Oh wait, they did. It's called "placing a shortcut on your desktop"

fucking gamers *shakes head*

I'm not saying your 'manage all' app is a bad idea, but have you actually ever talked to developers about Steam? Most of them do not have any kind of hatred for the platform. 30% is considered extremely reasonable versus the hit taken for publishing through a brick and mortar traditional business and from what I've seen, other digital retailers don't necessarily charge less either. Unless you can bring me some numbers to show the cut that GOG, Gamersgate and others take.

Add to that, Steam gives away for free, a bunch of developer tools, including debugging/logging tools and the ability for developers to push their own updates anytime from anywhere with no additional bandwidth charges, no matter how many people download, re-download and patch their games.

This is all stuff I've gotten from talking to developers. Steam is simply a good deal for most of them. The only people who dislike the 30% cut they ask is large publishers like EA who want to have their cake and eat it too.

I'm not saying Steam is perfect, but the people who should really be ready to rail against it aren't. Mostly because it actually works well and does what they want for cheap.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Announcement at E3?
18. Re: Fallout 4 Announcement at E3? Mar 2, 2015, 11:40 Slashman

PHJF wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 11:06:
I had more CTDs in Skyrim than in any other game I've ever played, by orders of magnitude.

Likely something on your end then. I've been playing Skyrim with over 33 mods on average. Some of which warned I should expect some crashes and Skyrim has been rock solid for me from the get go.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Mar 1, 2015, 22:52 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 17:25:
SPA looks scary. Do you play it and cry like a little girl a lot?!

Y-Yes... Uhoh

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Space Hulk: Ascension Salamanders
6. Re: Ship Ahoy - Space Hulk: Ascension Salamanders Feb 24, 2015, 17:02 Slashman

Tumbler wrote on Feb 24, 2015, 16:28:
Wait, I didn't think the newer space hulk game was out yet...did I miss the release?

...searching....

Oh I see. The newer one is called Space Hulk Deathwing and looks a lot better visually. Youtube

Ascension is another release in 2014, the first was in 2013. People seem to like the 2nd release a lot better, improved visuals and it seems like the genestealers look better.

It's confusing why they call it ascension edition. It's not an edition of the space hulk game, it's a seperate game, space hulk owners don't get upgraded or anything like that...

Found this:

To cut it clear and short:

Space Hulk = a digital boardgame conversion. Dice rolls, original physical version rules and all

Space Hulk Ascension = a single player video game TBS RPG in the Space Hulk setting

Neither game replaces the other - they complement the Space Hulk experience. Some like one, some like the other and some both.

Weird, now I want that newer one...

It's pretty decent. If only my growing backlog would allow me time to play it. Wall2

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Space Hulk: Ascension Salamanders
3. Re: Ship Ahoy - Space Hulk: Ascension Salamanders Feb 24, 2015, 12:54 Slashman

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 24, 2015, 12:36:
Cutter wrote on Feb 24, 2015, 09:27:
Haha post that salamander pic again! They should make that DLC. :)

Came here to do just that.

http://i.imgur.com/5zOsAM3.png

So much awesome!!!

News Comments > Sunday Patches
3. Re: Sunday Patches Feb 23, 2015, 08:46 Slashman

Indeed. I keep forgetting that this exists. I really need to go back and play it. Would be good to have it on Steam with some of the better levels available for play in an easy-to-get format.  

News Comments > Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy
85. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 22, 2015, 10:28 Slashman

Sugarman wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 10:16:
How much does someone spend in a year that smokes 1-2 packs of cigarettes per day, or someone who drinks often, or someone who uses drugs often?

There are plenty of people out there that spend far more than I have on things that I feel are ridiculous, but that's their decision, and even if I think it's a complete wast of money I realize it's really none of my business.

In effect, this is something of a strawman argument. Looking back at the first few pages of the thread, people aren't saying that people can't put however much money they want into something they love. What people were saying (myself included) is that we're doubting the ability of the developer to actually deliver on all that was promised. This, along with the fact that the funding thrust of the whole thing changed from 'help us get enough to bring this great game to market' to 'keep giving us money so we can finish this thing because we keep making it bigger.

People are absolutely entitled to spend their money however they please. Of course, that in no way offers them any kind of protection from other people having an opinion on the validity of that spending. Since this is an open forum, expect to hear both sides of the argument.

30. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 15:42 Slashman

StealthR6 wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 15:32:
LOL you people are on crack.

I wonder what actual "games" you play sometimes...

So far no one has posted a better space game. Waiting...

There are people who enjoy SC, if its not you tough shit then.

You enjoy being on a different wavelength from everybody else and then pretending to be special don't you?

No one here has said crap about the gameplay of AC one way or another. No one has said anything about anything apart from the topic at hand. The article isn't about how good SC will play or how great AC is and those things are entirely irrelevant. We are talking about monetizing a non-finished game which grows ever more absurd by the headline with more stuff to sell and then adding useless crap on top of it like REC.

Try paying attention. It helps you not look like an idiot.

2. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 10:56 Slashman

Why the hell do they not just concentrate on getting the game out already?

Why introduce more complicated crap at this point? It's bad enough you're selling ships for hundreds of dollars, but come on. This is just retarded extra nonsense piled on top of an unfinished game with a scope so wide just them completing it would surprise me.

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Collection Trailer
5. Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection Trailer Feb 21, 2015, 00:35 Slashman

Lorcin wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 21:45:
TL:DW Actually got so bored by the guys voice halfway through the video I turned it off. That doesn't bode well.

It doesn't bode well for your attention span or his career as a narrator? Because I'm not sure what that has to do with the actual game.

News Comments > DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed
82. Re: Into the Black Feb 19, 2015, 20:53 Slashman

Slick wrote on Feb 19, 2015, 15:18:

more stuff

Well I'm thrilled that you think it is impossible for people to actually make poor decisions and that we can always take whatever some random random corporate entity says as fact.

I seem to recall previous versions of DirectX having tech demos. I recall all sorts of gaming tech having tech demos that proved any number of wonderful applications for a certain technology were possible. Then I recall the actual product not being all that great or revolutionary. But why should I let past experiences influence my thinking when I can ride the wave of hype?

News Comments > DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed
77. Re: Into the Black Feb 19, 2015, 14:41 Slashman

Slick wrote on Feb 19, 2015, 09:04:
alright I think i've over extended myself in this thread, and it's starting to turn into an ordeal, and i'm like 6 beers deep. here we go.

stuff

Well here's the thing for me, as someone who lived through the Doom, Wolfenstein, Wizardy etc. era of the 90s:

People's values also shifted over time. Their perception of what makes a game, or any piece of technology, have value went through many adjustments.

We live in a time and place where most of the younger crowd have little to no idea of what the core purposes of today's latest and greatest things are. They don't know what they actually extract from them or how they exploit them.

It's that oblivion that allows social media to dominate their lives and tell them what to think, how to think and how to have fun etc. That same environment has allowed larger game publishers to thrive by making the same damn thing over and over and still successfully sell it.

You think it's a simple matter of the people choosing. I think it has a lot to do with shepherding easily manipulated masses into purchasing habits that allow exploitation by the major players.

Now I'm going to be fair and say that there are some devs who refuse to play by those rules. CD Projekt Red is a prime example. How is it possible to make AAA quality games and give away all DLC free if the market demands extra monetization to just break even?

There is a lot of crap in today's modern gaming market that is sleazy and underhanded. Not all DLC is a rip-off, but there is a hell of a lot of it that absolutely doesn't merit payment to own. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who have fallen into this pattern of 'if it says it makes game x better and I liked game x, then it must be worth the money' insta-buy-without-thought!!

Being skeptical about something until you have some kind of definitive proof is just plain common sense. Especially with claims like the one in the headline.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Hand of Fate
2. Re: Ship Ahoy - Hand of Fate Feb 18, 2015, 10:31 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 09:43:
This looks interesting. Any good?

That's what I'd like to know. I haven't seen many bad user reviews for it on Steam at the very least. In fact, reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

News Comments > Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth to Add 100-200 Hours of Gameplay
10. Re: Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth to Add 100-200 Hours of Gameplay Feb 18, 2015, 09:15 Slashman

Just could never get into this.

Ziggurat is my all-time, favourite roguelike ever.

Nothing to top it currently IMO.

News Comments > Terraria: Otherworld Revealed
2. Re: Terraria: Otherworld Revealed Feb 16, 2015, 20:32 Slashman

How is this NOT Terraria 2?

And yay for more 2-D, side-scrolling stuff I guess.

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence
44. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 09:24 Slashman

It's weird to me how he can say in an interview that he recognizes the patterns he's fallen into, the damage he does by talking publically without retraint and how it has happened over and over but repeat this cycle.

'I'm going to stop talking to the press. You know...like I said I would before. And I've even had people in the past whose job was to keep me from making wild promises in public, but...I'm done now. Just gonna give these 3 other interviews a shot and then I'm done. Yeah, I'm also not gonna mention to this interviewer my intentions to do more interviews even though I just said I wasn't doing more.'

It's just kind of sad to see this. And you may be inclined to feel a bit sorry for him but then you get an interviewer having to make suggestions that he follow through on promises he made to the winner of the Curiosity game. And he's like. "Yeah...we should do something for him." Really? You think?

His past successes and contributions to the industry do not excuse this from a veteran of his years. He's not some 20 year old kid who's just now getting a taste of game development.

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Trailer
11. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Trailer Feb 13, 2015, 13:13 Slashman

Primalchrome wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 13:09:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 12:32:
You do realize that this CG trailer was very likely outsourced and has nothing to do with the developers, right?
Sure. But if they don't care that the trailer looks like crap, and used it instead of gameplay footage....that does not bode well for the end product.

The game has been demoed to the press and there are several written accounts of it if you care to take the time to google it. Blues posted a link to one such preview already.

Can we all please stop acting like we don't what the deal is with game trailers now? It's getting kind of retarded.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Trailer
11. Re: Just Cause 3 Trailer Feb 13, 2015, 13:09 Slashman

I can't believe there is someone complaining about the 'complexity' of Just Cause 2 controls. Really?

The game is about using your grapple tools and the environment to do outrageous shit! That is all! Destroy everything is the whole point of the game. In that respect, it delivers 150%.

If you don';t like the type of game, fine. It ain't for you, but too many controls? Really?

1703 Comments. 86 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo