Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1499 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
35. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 1, 2014, 00:14 Slashman

I agree that sexism is an issue. The thing I don't agree with is the way people try to combat it. I especially dislike a lot of the dishonesty and hidden agendas from the people who claim to be championing the cause.

I always have to ask, when these game discussion start, if women are being turned off and pushed away by sexist games, why aren't those droves of women flocking to games and communities where those things are much less or even absent?

Where are the droves of women playing Civ games, or other 4x stuff like Endless Space or Sword of the Stars? Where are the women playing Frozen Synapse or Fallout or Skyrim? There are plenty of games that aren't sexist and yet have no female following.

If people want to cure sexism, then I suggest starting with parents or those about to become parents and in turn have them raise their children with semblance of respect and common decency. Until society starts doing that, it won't matter how much you attack game companies and gamers, they will continue to be a product of the society that births them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pandora: First Contact on Steam; Free Expansion Added
4. Re: Pandora: First Contact on Steam; Free Expansion Added May 30, 2014, 12:07 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on May 30, 2014, 11:41:
Prez wrote on May 30, 2014, 11:38:
Wow, Alpha Centauri 2!! Well that is my first impression anyway. Might have to get this because I LOVED AC.

It's sadly NOTHING like AC

What is it actually like?

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. Re: Morning Previews May 29, 2014, 18:00 Slashman

Cutter wrote on May 29, 2014, 12:21:
Ugh, I really hate Early Access but I so want this and the feedback is so good on it so far.

No question I'm going to get it...but I can wait for release.

got enough on my plate to play right now.

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Delayed
33. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Delayed May 29, 2014, 10:20 Slashman

SpectralMeat wrote on May 29, 2014, 10:14:
Prez wrote on May 29, 2014, 10:06:
definitely stop giving release dates for anything.
Unless they know for sure they can deliver.
They've been trying to deliver this dogfight module for about 6 months now.
By all means take the time and make it right but why bother with unrealistic release dates and then keep coming up with excuses.

Looking at the weekly news letters and stuff I think they do so many things at the same time as opposed to focus on making the game.
They have these "TV show" style videos with space ship competitions and stuff.
Couldn't this wait until after the game is finished?

You mean put some breaks on the hype-train and do some actual programming? What the hell are you smoking???

News Comments > Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms Early Access Next Month
6. Re: Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms Early Access Next Month May 28, 2014, 12:24 Slashman

Why the hell hasn't someone made another Hexen or Heretic game? Really...WHY?!?!?!?!?!  

News Comments > X Rebirth 2.0 Released
55. Re: X Rebirth 2.0 Released May 21, 2014, 15:42 Slashman

netnerd85 wrote on May 21, 2014, 14:01:
I meant first person character perspective, not FPS. There doesn't need to be the shooter element. I have Wolfenstein for the FPS genre

I'd like to be able to get out of the captains chair and go fix something on the ship or just move around and explore, rather than be stuck in a chair pushing UI buttons.

Well Rebirth is still not the game for that. Nothing of worth doing on stations (not to mention that all the character models seem to have been drawn by people competing in some kind of ugly-art contest).

In this case, Egosoft could have left that part out and simply concentrated on creating more of the game. Heaven knows why they would decide to add station walking a year before release when it was never going to be there in the first place.

They could have just drawn a nice variety of scenes with the NPCs in them and have the player transition to them as representing movement through stations without trying for an FP experience.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2014, 17:07.

52. Re: X Rebirth 2.0 Released May 21, 2014, 13:28 Slashman

netnerd85 wrote on May 21, 2014, 09:01:
Slashman wrote on May 21, 2014, 08:54:
netnerd85 wrote on May 21, 2014, 07:21:
InBlack wrote on May 21, 2014, 05:58:
netnerd85 wrote on May 21, 2014, 05:05:
SpectralMeat wrote on May 20, 2014, 10:47:
I don't know if they can redeeem themselves in time. Some big space games are coming out soon that will blow this terrible mistake called X-rebirth out of the water.
Such a missed opportunity.
This past weekend I broke down and paid into the Elite Dangerous beta. Been playing the single player portion over the weekend. It is fantastic. Can't wait for the beta to start in 2 weeks.

http://youtu.be/GcyMAOZg8ds

http://youtu.be/74XVP7bWJ20
What other games?

Does Elite Dangerous have explorable space stations/first person?

Really? Thats what you want? Explorable space stations, first person? This is what you are looking for in a space-sim EXPLORATION/FIGHTING/TRADING game???
Christ...
Yes, minus the christ part, I don't want any religion in my games thank you!

That's really the main part I am looking for

Perhaps a true FPS game is more what you need.
Do you know a FPS game where you can travel through space on a ship, battle and trade?

No. And there is a really good reason for that:

Mixing all that crap together and making it come out as an engaging and coherent whole is next to impossible, Not to mention, unlikely to be worth the time and effort.

Different genres of games exist or a reason. They don't all go well together. If you like FPSes, you should play them. If you like space sim/trading/exploration you should play X3:AP.

41. Re: X Rebirth 2.0 Released May 21, 2014, 08:54 Slashman

netnerd85 wrote on May 21, 2014, 07:21:
InBlack wrote on May 21, 2014, 05:58:
netnerd85 wrote on May 21, 2014, 05:05:
SpectralMeat wrote on May 20, 2014, 10:47:
I don't know if they can redeeem themselves in time. Some big space games are coming out soon that will blow this terrible mistake called X-rebirth out of the water.
Such a missed opportunity.
This past weekend I broke down and paid into the Elite Dangerous beta. Been playing the single player portion over the weekend. It is fantastic. Can't wait for the beta to start in 2 weeks.

http://youtu.be/GcyMAOZg8ds

http://youtu.be/74XVP7bWJ20
What other games?

Does Elite Dangerous have explorable space stations/first person?

Really? Thats what you want? Explorable space stations, first person? This is what you are looking for in a space-sim EXPLORATION/FIGHTING/TRADING game???
Christ...
Yes, minus the christ part, I don't want any religion in my games thank you!

That's really the main part I am looking for

Perhaps a true FPS game is more what you need.

25. Re: X Rebirth 2.0 Released May 20, 2014, 14:14 Slashman

PunkiBastardo wrote on May 20, 2014, 14:08:
What would you guys say are the best or must-have mods nowadays for albion prelude?

XRM is your one stop shop. It has a bit of everything. New ships, new weapons, rebalanced economy, better NPC behaviour, more action in contested zones, better fleshed out relations between races(races that don't like each other really fight it out etc.).

I use that and nothing else, but some folks add more stuff on top of it. You just need to make sure that you're not conflicting with it when you use other mods.

22. Re: X Rebirth 2.0 Released May 20, 2014, 13:35 Slashman

Creston wrote on May 20, 2014, 11:50:
Slashman wrote on May 20, 2014, 11:46:
Yeah...the mass traffic removal mod. Removes the clutter of small ships around stations that don't do anything(which they explicitly said took part in the in-game economy).

I still don't get why Bernd felt the need to lie out of his ass so much when he was doing the preview videos. Every X fan was already going to buy the game, so why set yourself up for failure like that? It took approximately 30 minutes for people to figure out that the "Every ship is tied into the economy in some way" rhetoric was just bullshit.

Most likely desperation. I suspect they HAD to launch due to money issues and the launch i.e. preorder numbers HAD to be big enough to sustain them throughout the process of finishing the game. So what better way to frontload a cash infusion than by riding the hype train?

Yeah, it was a deceitful thing to do and they have lost most of my trust because of it. Even more than the state of the game.

No official apologies either. Just carrying on with the work on the game as if it was somehow an 'above and beyond' type of effort from them.

There are still a few people on the forums who claim that anyone who bought the game should have known what to expect, and that everyone should be grateful for the fact that Egosoft is still working on it, because their after launch support is second to none. I sincerely hope that cup of Koolaid never passes within 500 meters of my lips.

16. Re: X Rebirth 2.0 Released May 20, 2014, 11:46 Slashman

Creston wrote on May 20, 2014, 11:25:
Frags4Fun wrote on May 20, 2014, 09:40:
Does anyone know if they improved performance yet? Last I checked, I was getting approximately 30 fps with GTX 680s in SLI.

There have been some performance improvements, but they've been rather minor, unfortunately.

There is a mod that cuts the amount of NPC ships by 75%, which makes your FPS go up by like 30, though.

Yeah...the mass traffic removal mod. Removes the clutter of small ships around stations that don't do anything(which they explicitly said took part in the in-game economy).

11. Re: X Rebirth 2.0 Released May 20, 2014, 10:01 Slashman

Quboid wrote on May 20, 2014, 09:43:
I'm glad this hasn't been abandoned. I can imagine buying it when version 4.0's release coincides with an 80% off sale.

That's the only way I'm going to buy it for sure. Still only one ugly-ass ship and no proper fleet commands. No aesthetic customization options. Crappy upgrade choices for said ship and nothing even remotely resembling late game objectives or challenges. Nothing worth exploring the universe for.

Still cannot purchase smaller ships. No free look. No external views. No freaking turrets for a supposed corvette-sized ship. No ability to properly command from the deck of a capital ship.

The game needs a LOT more work and Egosoft should have known/done a lot better than they did.

P.S. Oh did I mention a UI designed to work with a gamepad which still doesn't work all that well with a gamepad?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
46. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 11:54 Slashman

I'm keeping my eye on Starforge. I can't take the look of Minecraft. I just don't know why Notch hasn't made a Minecraft 2 that looks 10x better. He has more than enough money by now.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander This Month
26. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander This Month May 18, 2014, 01:18 Slashman

Prez wrote on May 17, 2014, 23:27:
I haven't put so much as a penny towards this yet, so it isn't MY 50 million bucks. I'll put 40 bucks out if and when the thing ships and isn't a complete train wreck. If that makes me an ex-star wars geek wannabe who has never had sex then okay. Kinda wondering where my son and daughter came from though...

The Stork?!?!? Idea

News Comments > Transistor Launch Trailer
5. Re: Transistor Launch Trailer May 17, 2014, 19:50 Slashman

Is that a trailer with actual gameplay in it??? What is the world coming to???  

News Comments > Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor's Edition
35. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor's Edition May 14, 2014, 15:06 Slashman

nin wrote on May 13, 2014, 21:44:
Slashman wrote on May 13, 2014, 21:41:
Cutter wrote on May 13, 2014, 20:45:
jomisab wrote on May 13, 2014, 20:11:
I would just like a game that's as good as DA1, thanks.

So not good at all then? That's easily done.

You're in the minority on that one Cutter. DA 2, on the other hand, was the real let down.

DA1 was the last good thing bioware did...

And yet DA 2 sold a lot worse...

10. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor's Edition May 13, 2014, 21:41 Slashman

Cutter wrote on May 13, 2014, 20:45:

So not good at all then? That's easily done.

You're in the minority on that one Cutter. DA 2, on the other hand, was the real let down.

3. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor's Edition May 13, 2014, 20:26 Slashman

That makes most of us...

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 13:29 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on May 13, 2014, 13:12:
It didn't help that I was really hyped for that.... it taught me a valuable lesson. Now I only buy stuff I absolutely want to play

May not be any consolation but there were a bunch of other people who got fooled by their pre-release promises and videos. No company is above this kind of thing it seems.

I do not pre-order stuff any more unless I know for sure what I'm getting. And even then...most games are not high enough priority that I can't wait for it to be out for a while and get some patches under its belt.

I must say I was pretty happy with Shadow Warrior and XCOM: Enemy Unknown though.

News Comments > Risen 3: Titan Lords in August
4. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords in August May 8, 2014, 01:01 Slashman

PUBLISHER BOARD MEETING

Voice 1: Well ladies and gentlemen, we have a fair bit of extra money in the Titan Lords' budget. What say we funnel it to the dev team so we can deliver an even more polished experience?

*SILENCE*

*SILENCE*

*SILENCE*

*Cacophonus laughter erupts throughout the boardroom*

Voice 2 through tears of laughter: You really had us going there for a minute buddy. Hahaha! OK...who does our CGI trailers again? Yeah, call those guys.

1499 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo