Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1843 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Satellite Reign Next Month
9. Re: Satellite Reign Next Month Jul 12, 2015, 22:13 Slashman

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 21:13:
Slashman wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 17:51:
I don't mind supporting a dev who follows through and releases a good game from EA. Too many games stuck in EA forever.

EA has only existed as a Steam concept for 28 months... You make it sound like we're dealing in dog years or something. Learn some patience.

You mean have patience for games like Starforge? It's not like the devs abandoned it and made Reign of Kings or anything...oh wait!

Or how about Planet Explorers. In early access alpha even before it went on Steam.

Do some checking around for the number of EA games that haven't even been getting regular updates. That's apart from the games that were just plain scamming.

I don't hate early access as a whole, but it is way too easy for developers to throw some junk up and then abandon it when they realize they don't have talent or resources to finish it with no downsides to them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Satellite Reign Next Month
5. Re: Satellite Reign Next Month Jul 12, 2015, 17:51 Slashman

I've been keeping my eye on this for a while. If it's solid at release I'll definitely pick it up.

I don't mind supporting a dev who follows through and releases a good game from EA. Too many games stuck in EA forever.

News Comments > Op Ed
50. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2015, 12:12 Slashman

PHJF wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 10:38:
I bought Elite on Friday and yesterday encountered a Wanted pilot named Chris Roberts.

Needless to say, I vaporized his ass.

Laugh2 Cheers

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Jul 11, 2015, 19:43 Slashman

I honestly just wanted a new Wing Commander type game to play through.

I think a lot of people wanted that. All of a sudden, feature after feature got added until a multiplayer capable persistent world became a full blown multi-genre MMO. But hey, there was no feature creep right? We know because they told us in their last PR blog post.

Mixing genres is freaking hard enough to do in linear, single player games. When you add an MMO on top of that, what kind of realistic expectations for a smooth ride can you really hope for?

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Map Pack DLC & Mod Support
13. Re: Into the Black Jul 11, 2015, 09:43 Slashman

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 21:20:
Slashman wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 18:25:
But I will give kudos to Stardock for creating a game framework so mundanely number based and by-the-books that making better AI for it was much easier. All they needed to do was sacrifice interesting combat and races to do it. Yay I guess...

Just in case people come in here thinking it's a game universally thought to be boring, it isn't.

Still not sure why you are making combat comparisons between a turn based game and a real time game.

Try carefully reading again. I compared the exploration aspect of two 4x games. I never compared the combat. But while we're at it, Endless Space is a turn based game and has better combat. At least being somewhat interactive and allowing you some basic decisions at the point of engagement. Not perfect, but I at least can respect it.

But hey, it sure does cut down dev time and costs to have crappy, non-interactive combat. And that new and awesome 'combat viewer' surely makes all the difference. Woohoo

11. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Map Pack DLC & Mod Support Jul 10, 2015, 18:25 Slashman

verybad1 wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 16:47:
Would have to agree with this. I like space 4x games and while GalCiv has some interesting features (well spaceship design at least) It wasn't a game that kept me playing for very long. It seemed very repetitive.

I just didn't enjoy it enough to play more than about 15 hours or so.

It is extremely repetitive. And the races were very similar. It just wasn't something that made me want to keep going.

Mostly people talk about how great the AI was. And I guess it was pretty decent. But decent AI in a boring game is still going to make for a boring game.

There was no wow factor of any kind with GalCiv 2. It was research laser 1...then laser 2. Better.

But I will give kudos to Stardock for creating a game framework so mundanely number based and by-the-books that making better AI for it was much easier. All they needed to do was sacrifice interesting combat and races to do it. Yay I guess...

7. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Map Pack DLC & Mod Support Jul 10, 2015, 13:21 Slashman

dj LiTh wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 12:03:
Slashman wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 09:13:
Its a meh game. Like Gal Civ 2 was a meh game.

Luckily you said this at the beginning and I wasnt required to read further.

And yet you still took time out to comment. Thanks for reading!!

News Comments > CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns
129. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 10:14 Slashman

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 09:54:
Derek's here to spread more propaganda against Star Citizen. Brilliant. Did you get bored of making your failed games and filing lawsuits against anyone who looks at you funny?

I may not be into his games or like his attitude on some things, but I don't think he's said anything so far that is inaccurate wrt Star Citizen. Like it or not, he is somewhat qualified to speak about this kind of game and its scope.

Not saying he's a prophet or anything, but he does seem to at least understand what CIG is dealing with (and seemingly failing at).

News Comments > Into the Stars Early Access
23. Re: Into the Stars Early Access Jul 10, 2015, 09:16 Slashman

Been lurking the Steam forums for it a bit. There is still a lot of work to be done but I am definitely going to be keeping a close watch.  

5. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Map Pack DLC & Mod Support Jul 10, 2015, 09:13 Slashman

Its a meh game. Like Gal Civ 2 was a meh game. The combat is only marginally better than Gal Civ 2 and that's not a compliment in any sense.

The exploration aspect is laughable. In Star Ruler 2, I explore and find ancient planet killer dreadnaughts, a new means of FTL travel or the means to spawn a new planet(to name a few). In Gal Civ 3 I find 30-40 credits...over and over again.

The new and innovative planet development system's claim to fame is that if you build buildings of the same type adjacent to one anther you get a small bonus. Yay!!!! Bet it took years to come up with that.

The ship designer is absolutely great...as was the previous one. Except that all the ships you make are still wholly unimpressive in actual combat. But they sure can be purty!

The AI doesn't impress me. The AI personalities don't impress me.

Honestly, I believe that the Gal Civ series is one of the most overrated things that Stardock has ever made. And I actually usually like Stardock games. I think Legendary Heroes is a really solid fantasy 4x. I just can't see what all the fuss is about with Galciv.

News Comments > Into the Stars Early Access
8. Re: Into the Stars Early Access Jul 9, 2015, 15:02 Slashman

I kind of skipped FTL but this definitely has me interested.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
12. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 9, 2015, 12:40 Slashman

harlock wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 12:17:
did you forget to take your medication today?

or do you just babble incoherently all the time?

Pretty sure its the latter...

News Comments > No Man's Sky Gameplay Video
32. Re: No Man's Sky Gameplay Video Jul 7, 2015, 16:31 Slashman

Sir Graves wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 16:04:
Don't care at all about this game anymore until they finally give us a release date. One can only stay hyped for so long.

Let the hype flow THROUGH you!!

News Comments > Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated]
61. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs? Jul 6, 2015, 16:12 Slashman

SlimRam wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 15:16:
I could have sworn that one of the stretch-mark goals was to dig Ginger Lynn Allen's fat ass out of the Twinkie induced coma she's been living in. Unfortunately, time and the extra 100 pounds have done little to bolster her amazing career *cough*. The last thing I have been able to find online is a cheap video that looks like it was shot on someone's cell that shows her chunky frame blowing a guy in the backyard of what looks like a trailor park.

Images we could all do without in our heads. Thanks.

News Comments > Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated]
51. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs? Jul 6, 2015, 14:37 Slashman

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 13:54:
Yeah. And as we can see FPS getting added to Squadron 42 was the $29 million stretch goal, unlocked on 11/22/2013. It was added in almost a full year after the KS campaign. The original backers never pledged for this bloated shit. Quote:

Enhanced Mission Design for Squadron 42 – The team at Foundry 42 has big plans for Squadron 42, and we’re going to provide extra funding to make it a true spiritual successor to Wing Commander! Squadron 42 can go above and beyond anything you’ve seen before. From opening with an epic battle instead of a training patrol to missions that seamlessly combine boarding and space combat, we aim to put you right into the action! Additional funding will let the team realize this, with enhanced mission design and more resources and animations to enhance fidelity.

Yeah. They are totally going to pull this off without a hitch. Plus the MMO part too...no problem. Wall

News Comments > CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Trailer
1. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Trailer Jul 6, 2015, 11:12 Slashman

So now I need to get around to actually playing the first one which is sitting in my Steam library installed and ready to go.

Where oh where is my time machine so I can clear my Steam library?

News Comments > Op Ed
77. Re: Op Ed Jul 6, 2015, 00:39 Slashman

shihonage wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 23:22:
What I really don't care for much, is all the polite devs spouting generic PR garbage because they're afraid of upsetting their friends in the community, or afraid for their "job security".

When you have a publisher over you, you really can't just say whatever you want.

That said, I prefer direct honesty about something versus BS PR speak.

That still doesn't mean that Derek Smart has the right balance in dealing with the community.

I can't really argue with his Star Citizen observations though. I still don't think they really know how they are going to fit it all together.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered
20. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 5, 2015, 22:38 Slashman

Overon wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 22:03:
Once customers get used to refunds on steam, there will be a domino effect where they will demand the same thing on every other platform. Then we shall have better polished games on release.

I'd like to think that is going to be the end effect but I still think we'll get our fair share of stinkers.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 5, 2015, 15:40 Slashman

nin wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 13:15:
Nice bump for Terraria. Looking forward to trying Styx albeit on the ps4, as it's free there in July.

So you're basically a low-down, rotten traitor to the PC master race is what you're saying... Police

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Jul 4, 2015, 19:22 Slashman

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 19:01:
That's a very interesting article, and it presents an honest view of Star Citizen/current Kickstarter nonsense. Don't disregard it just because Derek Smart wrote it.

I think we all pretty much agree that the parts he wrote relating to Star Citizen have some merit.

Chris Roberts has always been a very good seller of ideas. He sold the idea of Wing Commander to a publisher with NOTHING to show for it. No working code, no concept art etc.

1843 Comments. 93 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo