Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1569 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Avalanche Steampunk Game on Hold
4. Re: Avalanche Steampunk Game on Hold May 16, 2013, 22:06 Slashman

I dunno. I don't think that people are so burned out on Just Cause games that a sequel wouldn't be welcomed.

If a game series keeps improving and has great gameplay, I don't think people mind sequels. It's usually when a series is clearly stagnating and offering nothing new that people ask for new IPs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Sanctum 2
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sanctum 2 May 16, 2013, 08:42 Slashman

Tomas wrote on May 16, 2013, 04:00:
Yeah...I don't remember it having hard controls either.

That said, I'm not sure what to think about this one. Some of the changes didn't necessarily sound for the better. Hopefully I just misinterpreted the news I was given.

I'm playing it. It is definitely better than the first one in most ways I can think of. The levels are more interesting and actually interactive. Even the workers in the facilities will pick up arms and shoot at the monsters. If you hunt around the levels between waves you can find extra stuff like trip mines etc.

The classes seem to have been done decently(only played the shotgun guy so far and he's only level 3).

The monsters actually will chase you down if you get close. They all have unique attacks as well. Like the large walkers doing a leaping slam that deals AoE damage. Some of them have ranged attacks(screamers). Apparently some monster are large and tough enough to destroy towers but I have yet to run into any(only on the third level). Way more levels than the first game on launch.

My one complaint is that the detailed monster descriptions for each monster type seem to be missing. You can see icons representing what monsters are coming next, but no writeup on their behaviour or attributes. Not sure if I just don't know how to access the info in the game.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Sanctum 2
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sanctum 2 May 15, 2013, 21:50 Slashman

Brumbek wrote on May 15, 2013, 21:36:
Here's hoping it has vastly improved controls because the first Sanctum was a fantastic idea totally ruined by clunky, awkward controls.

Wait...what?

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews May 14, 2013, 15:20 Slashman

I think I'll pick this one up.

I played the hell out of the first one. This one seems to really be worth the money. Especially with enemies now attacking the player and player classes. Plus a lot more levels!

News Comments > Square Enix's "Extraordinary" Losses
10. Re: Square Enix's May 13, 2013, 12:03 Slashman

Sleeping Dogs really was a great game. I hope it gets a sequel...but it looks really iffy at this point.  

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale May 10, 2013, 10:51 Slashman

Prez wrote on May 10, 2013, 03:35:
Jerykk wrote on May 10, 2013, 03:17:
I'm pretty sure the publishers are the ones giving the keys to third-party sites. Valve would likely prefer that everyone buy their games directly from Steam but I think they're happy enough if people are just using Steam.

Once you have Steam installed Valve already has you. Sure you bought your last game from somewhere else but it's just so easy to buy your next one through Steam, since you already have it installed and you realize how much functionality and convenience it provides. Not everyone of course, but most do.

I'll see if I can resist buying anything for the summer sale. Wreck

News Comments > Command & Conquer Trailer
11. Re: Command & Conquer Trailer May 10, 2013, 10:43 Slashman

Ant wrote on May 10, 2013, 09:24:
Jerykk wrote on May 10, 2013, 03:19:
Generals had better gameplay than every other C&C. Gameplay > FMVs.
Ditto. Beside most cutscenes are cheesy.

That was the whole point of C&C cutscenes.

News Comments > Evening Previews
5. Re: Evening Previews May 3, 2013, 22:06 Slashman

Cutter wrote on May 3, 2013, 20:14:
“At the beginning he was really scared. You could see that on his face,” Mateusz laughs. “There have been attempts at Cyberpunk games in the past and each of them was bad, and he was scared it would be the same again.

Really? Deus Ex/(HR) and System Shock 1/2 were bad were they?

I think they meant specifically games based on the Cyberpunk PnP world. Not cyberpunk in general.

News Comments > Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit
26. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 11:22 Slashman

ViRGE wrote on May 1, 2013, 11:01:
Cutter wrote on May 1, 2013, 10:59:
It's likely they're not looking to get rich on this but punish Sega/Gearbox and open the way more easily for a class-action suit. Let's hope they win.
But who does a class action suit help? It doesn't help consumers and it doesn't help publishers.

The lawyers don't mind them at all...

News Comments > Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit
19. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 10:15 Slashman

SpectralMeat wrote on May 1, 2013, 10:07:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 1, 2013, 10:05:
Here is a way to fix this: You wanna release a game on Steam or in any other store, unrestricted reviews have to be allowed -1- week before release. Problem solved.
How about stop preordering games? Problem solved?
What's the point of preordering anyways? Are the digital copies going to run out or something?
Unless you are absolutely certain the game will be amazing and you won't have regrets after buying it, do not preorder games

There is some wisdom here. You have to be really sure about a game before you throw money into a pre-order. There are only a few games that I've ever pre-ordered. They were either from devs that I trust implicitly or so cheap as to not leave me bitter if they turned out to be less than stellar.

These days, waiting is actually a boon. Even if the game is great, patches a week or two after release generally make them even better. If you can wait a month or so, then better still.

News Comments > Defense Grid 2 Announced
7. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 25, 2013, 23:42 Slashman

Where the hell is my DG nemesis? Crestoooooooon!!!!  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer?
5. Re: Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer? Apr 24, 2013, 13:43 Slashman

And so it begins: The decline of a great series.  

News Comments > Anno Online Closed Beta
5. Re: Anno Online Closed Beta Apr 24, 2013, 08:59 Slashman

I'm going to pick up 2070 next time its on sale for cheap on Steam.

Browser based games can go die in a dark corner.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified
8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2013, 14:41 Slashman

Rigs wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 14:34:
Stupidity apparently knows no bounds. I had to read that news blurb three frakin' times before I completely understood the situation. This isn't even good enough to be half-assed backwards! It's more like inter-dimension, mirrored inside out - assed upside down! Having DRM for DRM's sake? Can't it just frakin' DIE already?! Obviously no one likes DRM, nor does it actually accomplish the very reason it's implemented! Geezus...

=-Rigs-=

You're asking for logic and reason from corporate suits... Mad

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Concludes
40. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 7, 2013, 20:03 Slashman

Dev wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 02:51:
Slashman wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 19:15:
I don't think you need billion dollar graphics and animation to convey things through animation and graphics. Bastion wasn't a million dollar game and I was very into it's story and world. It mostly had narrated dialogue and cleverly done world design.
Are you CERTAIN that bastian wasn't a $1 mil game? It wouldn't surprise me if it was about that much, remember it was published by WB. If you had said that it wasn't a $10 mil or $100 mil game, I would have agreed with you, and I agree with your other points.

Bastion was made by seven people total. I remember them saying that it exceeded their expectations on sales by a good bit. I think it was around 600K copies at the time. It cost 14.99 at release but I know there were a lot of sales on Steam for it too.

32. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 19:15 Slashman

I don't think you need billion dollar graphics and animation to convey things through animation and graphics. Bastion wasn't a million dollar game and I was very into it's story and world. It mostly had narrated dialogue and cleverly done world design.

I'm not talking about making a Mass Effect-like experience either. That was more into the territory of an interactive movie.

I don't mind a lot of text to convey character depth in terms of feelings, thoughts and moral dilemmas. But I don't want that to be used to convey moments where the action of a character would be better shown via animation.

26. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 08:36 Slashman

Yifes wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 08:20:
El Pit wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 07:26:
storytelling IN WORDS instead of letting the player experience it. Sometimes it felt like reading a book instead of playing a game.

You can express more with words than you can with just animation and dialogue. The depth of storytelling that I experienced in PS:T surpassed any other game that I've played. Reading is a part of the gameplay experience, and that's not a bad thing.

Funny thing, Chris Avellone agrees with you and thinks that it's one of the weaknesses of the game. Personally though, I think it's one of the best aspects of the game, and put it on a level above his later works like KOTOR2 and NWN2

Playing a game should be a different experience than reading a book. The problem is that most developers cannot properly marry the two types of story telling and pick one over the other instead of achieving a decent synergy of both.

There are situations and events in a game that may be better related through actions and animation than through reading words on a page. The opposite is also true. Much of the time, developers make the wrong choice regarding which is which. But doing it all one way (and neglecting other avenues) doesn't always equate to a better game.

I don't want to play a game that feels like a choose-your-own path novel. I want it to be a game. I want it to use the capabilities of my computer to let me feel like I'm living it while remaining a deep experience.

News Comments > Rhode Island Alleges 38 Studios Deception
20. Re: Rhode Island Alleges 38 Studios Deception Apr 5, 2013, 18:54 Slashman

Hump wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 17:35:
From statements by him and his wife, they appear to have basically lost pretty much their entire fortune on this deal. While he's still making a nice salary by being on Baseball Tonight for ESPN, and there's no need to feel sorry for him, I do find the idea that they're now trying to pin criminal actions on him to be fucking disgusting.

The stories of his financial losses have been called into question. Im sure he got hit hard but depending on which story you read its all pretty vague.

What IS know about Schilling thats been backed by individuals who have done projects with him (sports memorabilia dealers, etc) he is described as a difficult person to work with (another quote "a real prick"). Not sure if that played into this but Im sure it didnt help

Unless he as making design decisions, I can't see how that matters. He fronted cash. He wasn't a designer or programmer.

If they had just done the RPG and moved from there, they might have had a chance. But this MMO-rush mentality killed everything.

News Comments > Crytek Plans Darksiders Bid
15. Re: Crytek Plans Darksiders Bid Mar 29, 2013, 19:54 Slashman

ItBurn wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 17:41:
Playing Darksiders 2 right now. About 20 hours in. I'm giving it a 76.8342%. It's fairly long, maybe too long. Everything is well made, it's not like there's too much filler, but I don't know, it's not quite engaging enough. I think that the second game is better than the first in every way. I like it, but I can't say I'm really wanting more...

The games work great with a mouse.

I think that covers my view pretty much. I think it may just be the story and setting that gave 2 the off feeling. I think more people would have liked it to focus more on earth during the time when it was literally going to hell and not so much after. And not a totally different world that no one cared about for so much of the game.

I do like the way Death fights though. And I played and finished both with a mouse and keyboard.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
6. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 25, 2013, 08:05 Slashman

As an android user I think gaming on tablets is pointless.

My opinion would be the same were I an Apple user.

This is what PCs are for.

1569 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo