Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1500 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III
6. Re: Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III Jan 19, 2013, 18:01 Slashman

NKD wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 17:43:
Paketep wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 17:23:
Fuck those losers (Wilson and Pardo).

Glad to see that even the blizzard fanboys are seeing the truth.

It doesn't matter what they see if they keep handing over the money. Gamers have NEVER had a problem complaining, they have a problem making a stand on those complaints. Talking a lot of shit to people anonymously on the web is easy. Putting down the crack pipe instead of just bitching about the low quality of the crack is a lot harder.

But this is Blizzard, so even then. They only ship a title every so often, and they have enough cash flow to survive multiple flops. By the time the next title is ready, the rage will have subsided and people will just buy the shit because its Blizzard.

So true...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Hint?
3. Re: The Witcher 3 Hint? Jan 15, 2013, 16:44 Slashman

Stop dropping hints about hints already. If you have an announcement, then just make it.  

News Comments > TERA Going Free-to-Play Next Month
17. Re: TERA Going Free-to-Play Next Month Jan 9, 2013, 19:32 Slashman

I'd like to know why they all use the same stupid price point. When is someone going to get creative and release a $5 or $10 subscription MMO with realistically decent content and some innovation?

News Comments > Firefly Universe Online
4. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 5, 2013, 17:33 Slashman

I'd still like to punch the idiot who pulled the plug on the series in the mouth(while wearing steel knuckles).  

News Comments > Op Ed
56. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2012, 09:18 Slashman

Draugr wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 00:01:
You're anecdote boils down to 'I don't think women really are into games because when I went to LAN parties I think one of the women only played because of her boyfriend, and the other two I don't consider good enough to be real gamers'...Strange how bad players at LAN parties who have penises aren't written off in such a fashion. No one questions them about being 'real gamers' they're just shitty players.

The other two(one of whom is a good friend of mine) were basically there because they were friends with the group of us who played games together. Neither of them played much outside of LAN parties. Certainly neither of them invested into gaming systems or even bought games with the rest of us.

I think it's silly to take an anecdote as evidence alone, which you're basically doing. The very fact that your anecdote has 3 women in it kind of proves the point that there are women who play these kind of games. Certainly it is a male dominated hobby, but they aren't just conjured up or only there to play because of a man as you and others seem to imply. I mean there were three examples in your story, but you focused on the woman who was there because of her boyfriend, the only one of the three that reinforced your argument.

Well here's some more anecdotal evidence for you. I've been a computer tech and IT admin for 17 years and have the opportunity to see thousands of systems as they come into our workshop for repairs. I have yet to see a system belonging to a woman come in with games like those that weren't installed by her kids or boyfriend. And more often than not, they want them uninstalled. But maybe all those women are too embarrassed about the fact that they play Dawn of War and Counterstrike, so they blame it on their kids and husbands.

If I told a story about how there were no black people at the LAN parties I attended growing up, and therefore it leads me to believe that black people aren't into video games (or aren't into the same video games as white people,) I think you'd consider that pretty absurd. This is what you're asking us to do with your anecdote.

If you grew up in a predominantly white neighborhood, then even though I'd say your argument was flawed(and you were probably overly sheltered), I'd at least understand why you made it. However, we aren't talking about a specific ethnicity that is concentrated in a specific region, we are talking about a gender that's pretty much everywhere(unless you're a monk living in a male-only monastery). Women actually outnumber men where I live.

There are also probably more female players that play the kind of games you say they don't than you'd think. You play hundreds of faceless people when you play online, some of those people are going to be women. Obviously you'd be none the wiser unless you asked.

Except I do ask quite often. As I said, I see thousands of computers belonging to all sorts of people due to my job. Generally when I find games on them, I ask who installed them because a lot of people get upset over the fact that their kids are using their PCs for games.

I'm not saying that women gamers who play those games dont' exist at all. I'm just saying that I seriously doubt that their numbers are very high. I can totally believe that they flourish in the casual market. I just don't think that the numbers for more traditional hardcore games are there.

Because some people would prefer things to change, and do what they can to affect it instead of just keeping their head down. The consolation prize I guess, is people like yourself who don't want to play halo because of toxic environment can reap the benefits. As you said you don't play these games for the very reasons she is talking about them anyway, so if this is really where the focus is I don't see why you would be concerned.

I don't have an issue with people wanting to change XBox Live(and goodluck trying to correct bad parenting from the internet side). My issue is that all these articles lump all aspects of gaming into the same boat as if XBox Live represents every gaming community for every genre of game ever made. If there is a problem with behavior on XBox Live, then fine. That doesn't mean that the community for Endless Space has the same problem. Or that the community for Tribes Ascend has the same problem.

News Comments > Op Ed
49. Re: Op Ed Dec 27, 2012, 18:28 Slashman

Overon wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 16:57:
Slashman wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 12:51:
Overon wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 02:01:
I have a novel idea, rather than speculating on why women don't go to LAN parties, I think it would be better to ask them in an environment where they can say what they really think freely without fear or intimidation or any other social pressure.

Why don't you enlighten me on what you think the reasons are.

Personally I am way less interested in the fact that none of them wanted to participate at a LAN party than I am in the fact that they still don't play those games in the privacy of their own homes. So I'd say it has way less to do with social pressure than a general lack of interest in hardcore gaming.
I don't know. I haven't looked. That's why I said we should ask them what is unappealing about gaming.

Do we really need to? I mean, this is anecdotal evidence of course, but I find most women aren't attracted to the same things in gaming that men are. They don't generally see the value of competing for competing's sake. They won't sit down and play a game like Civ 5 or Sword of the Stars. There is generally not enough emotional investment in it apart from the drive to win(which is enough for most men) but not really a big motivating force for women.

In my LAN party days, there were only about 3 women who would set up and play with the rest of the group. Of those 3, there was one who was really good at FPS games and she repeatedly kicked a lot of our butts in UT and Quake(including mine). At the end of the day though, as good as she was, she really wasn't that into gaming for itself, she just had a boyfriend who was hardcore into gaming and she picked it up from him. It was way more about doing something with her boyfriend than anything else.

Basically, I think that's your answer. While as a male, I'm going to respond to scantily clad women and similar attempts to appeal to my base male urges, in the end I'm going to respond way more to great gameplay and the challenge of pushing myself to overcome both human and AI opponents in a game. In general, women will respond way less to those things.

The reason I question articles like this is because the women in them seem to have such a narrow focus in gaming. Halo and CoD on XBox Live. Never anything else mentioned. What are they expecting to get from a bunch of immature, teenaged brats? Why even put yourself into that environment? I don't even want to go there as a male.

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed Dec 27, 2012, 12:51 Slashman

Overon wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 02:01:
I have a novel idea, rather than speculating on why women don't go to LAN parties, I think it would be better to ask them in an environment where they can say what they really think freely without fear or intimidation or any other social pressure.

Why don't you enlighten me on what you think the reasons are.

Personally I am way less interested in the fact that none of them wanted to participate at a LAN party than I am in the fact that they still don't play those games in the privacy of their own homes. So I'd say it has way less to do with social pressure than a general lack of interest in hardcore gaming.

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind 2 Presale Deal
9. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Presale Deal Dec 27, 2012, 02:00 Slashman

Why anyone would make a game like this a 2D side scroller is beyond me.  

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed Dec 26, 2012, 21:29 Slashman

You know what I find funny?

In all these articles, people are only ever referencing Halo, COD or Gears of War.

I've yet to see complaints of sexism in reference to Civilization, Skyrim, Fallout, Homeworld, Portal, Torchlight 2, Sword of the Stars or any game that's deeper than the latest fragfest.

If you're trying to run with a crowd made up almost entirely of teenaged/pre-pubescent boys who have just discovered the anonymity of the internet, what exactly are you expecting?

I've been in the forums and in communities for countless games where I've never seen any of that. And guess what? I've seen almost no women trying to be part of those communities.

It's like going to a strip club and complaining that the patrons aren't shocked and appalled to find women with no clothes on dancing on stage.

I've run LAN parties and tournaments where women were invited and welcomed to participate. And I sure as hell would have kicked out anyone who got out of line. You know what? Most women just aren't interested in playing hardcore games(sexist content or not). Not a one ever experessed an interest in Starcraft, C&C Generals, Unreal Tournament or any games that were being played. Not even when encouraged by their boyfriends or husbands.

On the other hand, I've lost count of the number of times some woman gets a hint that I'm a computer tech and wants me to help her get The Sims to work on her computer.

I'm tired of people setting up these stupid arguments. 'Boohoo, the Halo crowd are a bunch of jerks.' Well yeah, have you tried playing something else? Is every gaming community made up of immature jerks?

There are countless games out there that are just that: Great games. Seems like no one is interested in talking about those though.

News Comments > On Sale
21. Re: On Sale Dec 25, 2012, 18:54 Slashman

Someone gift me Evochron Mercenary!! It only got down to 40% off

To folks who are on the fence about it, Endless Space has had a lot of improvements since release. Including AI upgrades...so it is worth a look at $10.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2012, 18:11 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 16:24:
Too bad Xcom didn't make the list. It was on sale too. I hope it is still selling well.

I was only a small percentage off though, unlikely to be able to compete with things that are very heavily discounted.

News Comments > Project GODUS Funded
3. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 22, 2012, 12:39 Slashman

Blahman wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 12:37:
Dmitri_M wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 12:31:
That this got funded is truly a sign of just how spineless gamers are.

Explain.

Seriously. I want to hear the explanation too. Because I think it took guts on the part of gamers to fund something by such a seriously deluded individual just because he made a few good games in the past.

News Comments > THQ Files for Chapter 11; Plans Sale
35. Re: THQ Files for Chapter 11; Plans Sale Dec 19, 2012, 19:18 Slashman

Dev wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 19:13:
Beamer wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 16:31:
Do the execs want to get paid for doing a good job here? Yes. Yes they do. But they're not dumb enough to take money out of the coffers when they're struggling to stay alive at a time that they know that being bought out will mean even more money for them.
And yet, thats pretty much exactly what the Caen bros did with Interplay's corpse. Essentially, they got more in bonuses than fallout online got in dev funds during the years they pretended to do something with it, so they wouldn't forfeit the IP to beth per the contract. I checked Interplay's financial statements for those years, and that was pretty obvious.

If they had instead used all that money to do actual substantial development, they might have had a leg to stand on and keep the MMO IP, and perhaps even get it released and made money off of it.

Now I doubt anything like that will happen with THQ, but my point is, greed can be very stupid and outweigh any logical thought.

Dude...he totally needed that third Ferrari!!

News Comments > THQ Files for Chapter 11; Plans Sale
24. Re: THQ Files for Chapter 11; Plans Sale Dec 19, 2012, 17:19 Slashman

zombiefan wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 17:09:
WOOHOO!!! Champagne for everyone! Kiss my ass, THQ.

(passes around cigars)

Huh? Headscratch

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Patched
3. Re: MechWarrior Online Patched Dec 19, 2012, 01:04 Slashman

So is it officially released or still in beta??  

News Comments > The Secret World Subscriptions Now Optional
6. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 12, 2012, 11:39 Slashman

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 11:31:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 11:20:
The problem being without a demo or trial people will still not ever buy it.

I think that is still a very valid point. It's still $30 to try, BtP has that barrier, where FtP does not. Both will try to sell you stuff in their crap shops no matter. So imo if you want the masses to try it FtP is more inviting.

So how does Guild Wars 2 work again?

News Comments > Valve Living Room PCs Next Year?
45. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 20:34 Slashman

Prez wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 20:16:
Trevellian wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 19:41:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 16:50:
If it makes PC gaming easier for the masses I'm for it.

Though I would argue that PC gaming is already pretty damn easy these days.

Please no. I'd appreciate if the Brotards stuck to their console COD slop and left the PC gaming to intelligent people.

"Here we see the curious, solitary animal known as the "PC Elitist" in a web forum, its natural habitat! Look how he encircles his prey with insults and silly, baseless arrogance before he pounces! This is amazing!"

Too bad you can't type in an Australian accent - it would have given it a more authentic nature show feel.

Good one!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3: Painful Memories
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3: Painful Memories Dec 5, 2012, 11:55 Slashman

TheBigVlad wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 10:28:
I know there's not a lot of love for this game here but I absolutely loved it. For me the issues with the frequent cutscenes and stylistic presentation were drowned out by how engaged I was in the story. I also admit I'm a little biased since the first two games were some of my favorites of all time, so getting to play as Max again really satisfied my nostalgia. Haven't touched multiplayer though.

I think that's the point here.

I love the single player part of it. Max Payne was built on that. The fact that no DLC is anything other than MP is really odd in my mind.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Sword of the Stars II: Enhanced Edition & Free DLC
10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2012, 13:46 Slashman

Lobster wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 13:37:
Most game companies have that kind of zeal and put in that kind of effort. They just call it "alpha testing" and do it before the game comes out.

Most game companies do not update and support a game 5 years after it comes out. Which is what they also did for SoTS1.

I'm not excusing the bad launch at all, but most game companies would simply cut and run after a launch like that. Take a look at Legends of Pegasus and Novacore.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Sword of the Stars II: Enhanced Edition & Free DLC
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sword of the Stars II: Enhanced Edition & Free DLC Dec 3, 2012, 13:28 Slashman

I waited for the all clear and was going to fire it up, then got distracted by my stupidly long Steam backlog.

I then heard about the expansion and decided to wait for it.

I finally fired it up this weekend and I have to say I'm impressed.

I really enjoyed my time with it. Granted I'm still a newb and learning the game, but I like what I have seen so far.

If this gets the same level of committment that SoTS1 got, then it is an investment worth making. Even now I think it's worth the price.

Also, the download was really small because they have been sneaking the content in with previous patches.

1500 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo