Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1591 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Avellone: Kickstarter Inspiring Old School RPG Renaissance
29. Re: Avellone: Kickstarter Inspiring Old School RPG Renaissance Jun 26, 2013, 08:30 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 04:22:
Back on topic, I'd love it if the big publishers started making mid-budget games again. A traditional CRPG could easily be made for less than $5 million.

That's the problem right there. They don't want to make smaller games. Why would you not diversify your offerings as much as possible?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Avellone: Kickstarter Inspiring Old School RPG Renaissance
27. Re: Avellone: Kickstarter Inspiring Old School RPG Renaissance Jun 25, 2013, 22:57 Slashman

Golwar wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 21:25:
That's what we all think. Among those who are generally well informed about games. We don't need advertisement.

But considering that those who spend the money on marketing, should be as suspicious as everyone else is about the efficiency of their investments, I'd wager that we are probably wrong.

I think that we do underestimate the need for marketing when a game is is a certain size and scope.

At the same time, I think there is a huge amount of waste in AAA game development. CGI cutscenes are one major expense that can happily die. They add so little that a decent in-engine cutscene couldn't do. Hiring all-star casts of Hollywood actors to voice your games is another area to cut the hell back on. You do not need Patrick Stewart to do voice work in your game to make it a success.

I don't think it's big or ambitious games that need to die. It is the AAA formula and mindset behind it that really needs to go.

News Comments > Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification
17. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 16:34 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 16:14:
And that works to get around the "This game is not available in your region" ?

Well bizarrely enough I own Batman:Arkham City even though it is listed as unavailable in my region. I pre-ordered it based on owning a copy of Asylum for the 20% discount. All of a sudden, a few weeks after my preorder, the title was listed as unavailable.

However, it still unlocked on the stated date and allowed me to install and update.

News Comments > Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification
4. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 10:45 Slashman

Stupid things are stupid...  

News Comments > Sword of the Stars: The Pit MindGames Next Week
5. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit MindGames Next Week Jun 25, 2013, 00:21 Slashman

Dev wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 21:15:
I've enjoyed this game too.

If you just remember that this has NOTHING to do with sword of the stars (they really should have called it something else), then you are good.

All of the creatures and lore in it are from the SoTS universe though. So it's not like it's a bad name. Although I guess I see where you're coming from in that it's not a 4x space strategy game.

News Comments > Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance
81. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 13:56 Slashman

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 11:04:
It is unprecedented. What I see is the official one will be like a public costume party, the socialites that are all about "see me". And then the introverted personal servers, cheap, modifiable, etc. I wish more mmo's did this in general, I never wanted a mmo, just a coop RPG. This promises to give us both, but as you said... "never done before", so it is hard to say how it will turn out. I think there are enough "see me's" out there for it to work.

Here's my line of thinking. MMOs don't allow personal servers because that kills a line of revenue for them. Either they lose monthly subs or they lose people buying stuff from their item shops etc. That is pretty significant.

They say they will allow fully moddable personal servers to run. How do they prevent a modder from modding in all the new stuff they add to the main game that they want people to pay for?

If they release a new ship, what stops a modder from grabbing the model data from that ship and adding it to his or her own personal server and then offering that as modded content for free download? That doesn't even begin to address how easy something like that makes it for cheaters etc. to mess up your official servers.

If they were doing one or the other, I could understand. What kind of investor would want that kind of potential risk to their revenue stream? Do they even understand what Roberts is planning?

49. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 00:09 Slashman

Jivaro wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 23:43:
I understand what you are saying ItBurn, but that doesn't change the practical reality. I think when people read "this won't be Pay2Win" they are not expecting to read on the site that certain ships will be available via microtransaction. They aren't the first developers to use this version of the definition though. It is basically what everyone is doing now. They sell mounts, they sell bank slots, they sell potions....all of which can be earned in "MMO #365" by playing normally....or you can shorten the "earning time" by just paying some money. Customers call that Pay2Win, developers call that "a customizable playing experience".

If this was truly not P2W, all you'd be able to buy would be cosmetic customization options. Once you start selling ships and weapons etc. you are selling things that give a definite advantage. And only someone totally naive would think that purchasable ships and equipment would provide no significant gameplay benefits.

I am also extremely curious as to how they balance that with running personal servers. I can't see a company having an official, dedicated server-run game which depends on transactions to keep it going and expanding, offering that same experience(with full mod support)to anyone who wants to host their own server.

19. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 22, 2013, 19:37 Slashman

ItBurn wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 19:11:
They're hosting a mmo-style server because it's awesome and profitable... No other reason. They'll continuously update the universe and add new things with the cash they earn this way. But if you want, you can host your own server and even do mods.
Of course, that's what they "say". You have to encourage projects that do stuff you want. You can continue paying 60$ for call of duty if you prefer.

What about paying for neither? I'm not. No idea why CoD would even be mentioned in a news post about a space sim.

I honestly just don't trust this enough to back it. I don't buy into the idea that the only way to make and maintain a good space sim is to go the F2P MMMO route. And the single player campaign sounds to me like it will be a series of missions and not an open world sandbox.

I'm fine with waiting until release and reviews come out.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Magrunner Dark Pulse
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Magrunner Dark Pulse Jun 20, 2013, 13:45 Slashman

Creston wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 13:13:
"Gruckezber Corporation".

No. Just no. Google "Random Name Generator", hit "I'm feeling lucky" and try again.

In other news, the trailer looks pretty cool. Is this on Steam yet?

Creston

Dude...that is a name full of win. I think I'm gonna name my next RPG character in whatever game I play 'Gruckezber'. It's the right thing to do!!!

News Comments > Steam Game Sharing Planned?
28. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 12:53 Slashman

J wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 12:34:
Knowing my luck, all I'll get is nin trying to share snuggle truck with me

Yeah. Anybody who tries to share Snuggle Truck with me...well...there's going to be trouble!

News Comments > Endless Space: Disharmony Next Week
1. Re: Endless Space: Disharmony Next Week Jun 18, 2013, 23:12 Slashman

Good stuff. Looking forward to this!  

News Comments > It Came from E3 2013, Part Six
96. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 17, 2013, 20:09 Slashman

Beamer wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 15:51:
Most women that are "bothering" are picking bigger, more vital fights than video games.

Bingo!

And even Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King needed white allies to actually listen to them rather than criticize them on a messageboard.

So you're being the 'white ally' needed by all the non-existent, oppressed female gamers who haven't really spoken about the issue because white, male journalists are primarily the ones posting these stories. Well I guess it's good you found a cause and purpose.

News Comments > IO Interactive Lays Off Staff; Cancels Projects
10. Re: IO Interactive Lays Off Staff; Cancels Projects Jun 17, 2013, 19:45 Slashman

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 19:30:
It sold almost 4M copies but the idiots at Square Enix expected it to sell something like 6M. These are the same executives who called Tomb Raider a failure despite it selling more than any previous iteration in franchise history ever did.

How does someone even come up with projections like that? I mean...what would lead you to believe that your game would sell more than its prequels ever have by that order of magnitude?

80. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 17, 2013, 14:34 Slashman

Beamer wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 13:18:
Have you seen what this board turns into whenever women and games are mentioned? Probably the only two things there is close to consensus on is Deus Ex and "women needing to shut up." Just search in the sidebar for "sexism" or "feminism" or "tropes." You'll find more than a handful of people comparing women wanting equality to Naziism.

I've been here for a few of those articles and while there are some insensitive morons around(like there are pretty much everywhere), what I find is that people get way too wrapped up in the emotional side of things to ever be truly objective. A lot of the time, people aren't saying that no sexism exists. What they question is the severity and scope of it. And also the number of women who are really even interested in the gaming industry as a whole. Most of the time, one person writes an article about a single bad experience in gaming relating to women and then proceeds to single out every single male gamer in the world as being ultimately responsible for the unacceptable actions of the few. We're not. Trying to somehow pass the guilt of what some idiot said or did online onto me because I happen to be a male gamer, is just plain offensive.

So, if you're a woman, why would you even bother standing up? It's like standing in the Mississippi river and trying to reverse its direction with your hands.

I'm sure plenty of people sat around and said "well, I guess black people deserve equal rights, but until a sufficient amount of them stand up for it, status quo is ok."

Right...because Rosa Parks never bothered. Martin Luther King Junior never bothered. All the black civil rights leaders and the countless people who stood with them. Guess they couldn't stand having their feelings hurt so they did nothing. Just sat around waiting for all the white folks to realize how unfairly they were being treated and to change the system for them. No black people bled or died to make a change for the betterment of their lives and their children's lives.

64. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 17, 2013, 12:46 Slashman

Beamer wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 12:06:
And what industries are heavy-gender-leaning against females? Strippers? Hooter's Waitresses?
Even areas that tend to be very female leaning, like fashion and HR, typically have men at the top. How many female fashion designers can you name off the top of your head? How many males?

Wait. Aren't most fashion designers gay males? Are you saying that gay males are discriminating against females in the fashion industry?

I, as a straight black male, tend to agree with NKD. There needs to be sufficient female gamers ready to stand up for what they want before we see any forward momentum in this area.

61. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 17, 2013, 12:26 Slashman

PHJF wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 11:45:
Or maybe the lack of women here has to do with women not being "hardcore" enough to frequent PC gaming-centered, text-heavy news web sites? Sure a lot of women game nowadays but they don't seem to care about them beyond playing them. It takes a pretty geeky geek to show up here posting diatribes about the fall of id Software or the rise of the MOBA.

I think it's more a question of what they play. Mostly it seems like casual games and MMOs.

Women just aren't that interested in the traditional hardcore types of games that the majority of males are into.

56. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 17, 2013, 10:40 Slashman

mag wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 05:16:
Have you really never been playing TF2 or something and had the pleasure of listening to the way the guys act on voice chat as soon as they hear a female voice? Same in every other game too. Even if it's just a girly Steam userpic or username or whatever the hell.

What is the inevitable age group of these guys? Because almost everytime I have heard that behaviour, it has come from some stupid teenaged moron who is getting off on internet anonymity and wants to sound cool to all the other pre-teen/teenaged jerks who they play with.

There are game communities that are more mature. Women portrayed in these types of articles, however, inevitably end up gravitating toward the places where that type of immature behaviour is at its peak. Because hey...if it isn't the Xbrat Live CoD community, it's not gaming.

I will totally buy that most of the ladies really just aren't into shooters and whatnot. But if you witness what happens to the ones that are into them? Holy shit. I would not doubt that the 'community' scares the vast majority of them either away from it entirely, or into hiding.

Quite honestly, if you want to eliminate that type of behaviour entirely, you're going to have to start making parents into better people who are more involved in their kids lives and can teach them some basic manners and respect. Good luck to you on that.

There isn't a town, neighbourhood or community that doesn't have its share of asshats. Just like it's unlikely you'll find a completely pristine internet gaming community. That doesn't mean there aren't decent gaming groups a woman could join if she wanted to look for them. I have just not seen many women who are interested in doing so apart from women who play MMOs.

47. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 17, 2013, 03:48 Slashman

mag wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 01:58:
You're talking to the guys that think they're just complimenting women when they yell "SHOW US YOUR TITS" and "WILL YOU GO OUT WITH ME" when they meet them in a game. Or see them on youtube. Or pretty much anywhere that doesn't require them to actually talk to girls face-to-face. I think this is going to be lost on them.

Stereotype much?

Seriously. Why is it that people can't make a point or counterpoint without this immature 'You live in your mom's basement so no wonder you'd think that' crap?

I don't think the issue is as widespread and all-encompassing as some people make it out to be. Personally I don't think booth babes add much to E3. The women who do it don't really care about gaming. They care about getting paid. It's kind of a relic from the past that game companies hold onto because it's familiar I guess.

That said, I still don't buy into there being all these untold millions of female gamers just itching to get into the industry and play the same sorts of games traditionally played by males, only all the sexism is preventing them from doing so.

Considering that I've spent years fixing PCs and all the ones I've fixed for countless males and females alike, I can't name the last time I found anything resembling a hardcore RTS, shooter or RPG on a PC owned by a female. I've found plenty of Sims installations. I've found plenty of pointless casual games like Luxor, Bejeweled and Bubble Witch. But pretty much nothing in the realms of games that guys usually play.

So I guess my question is: Where are all the droves of gaming females we're offending in this industry?

3. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 17:50 Slashman

Just out of curiosity, that 45% of female gamers. What are they playing?  

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha
79. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 16, 2013, 10:10 Slashman

Dev wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 03:11:
Prez wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 21:57:
I was just worried that was going to be the FINAL price! Their reasoning for charging that much in Alpha is sound though.
Their final price is going to be like $20 or $30 I think.

Which is why I said I'm waiting for the final release to buy.

There is no big payoff for getting in early on an alpha like this. People who really want to are more than welcome to. This isn't rocket science. And no one is twisting anyone's arm to make them buy in now. It's by choice.

1591 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo