Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1611 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Homeworld HD and Homeworld 2 HD Announced
25. Re: Homeworld HD and Homeworld 2 HD Announced Jul 20, 2013, 22:29 Slashman

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 21:51:
I don't have high hopes that Gearbox can do this.

Do what? Add high rez textures and widescreen options onto an already finished game? I'm thinking they can at least do that much...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Homeworld HD and Homeworld 2 HD Announced
21. Re: Homeworld HD and Homeworld 2 HD Announced Jul 20, 2013, 19:28 Slashman

Totally buying these!!!

I loves me some Homeworld!!!!

News Comments > Valve's Young Developer Pipeline
9. Re: Valve's Young Developer Pipeline Jul 15, 2013, 14:41 Slashman

Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 11:07:
Valve Opens Teen Sweat Shop, World Rejoices!

Creston

Standard 14-hour work day full of joy and merriment!!! Whip

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jul 15, 2013, 12:00 Slashman

Is this guy a nutjob?

Of course EA won't run back and add more stuff to a game. This is EA we are talking about. That's the entire reason people want to back Kickstarters. It's because big publishers would never do stuff like that. They'd add it in as DLC.

Kickstarters are about goodwill and rewarding people for backing something that would otherwise not have a chance to be created. There's always going to be another Madden or CoD or Battlefield.

You can't say the same about Wasteland or Shadowrun or Planetary Annihilation.

News Comments > Star Citizen Economy Trailer
44. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 8, 2013, 09:31 Slashman

Wildone wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 08:51:
So many haters out there, if it wasn't for CR no one would be even trying to make a space sim, its worth my $45 just for the attempt its been so fucking long...

That's BS. X: Rebirth is still being made. And other people have made space sims in the time Roberts was out of the picture.

I loved the Wing Commander and Privateer games. I'm not saying that he didn't make quality stuff in the past. That doesn't automatically mean he can make a project of this magnitude work.

There is a direct conflict between his online model and his single player model. Players hosting their own fully moddable universe while he offers a locked, P2W online experience seems more than a little crazy.

That's like WoW letting you host your own WoW instances only you can mod them AND never pay any more money to them than the initial cost of the game. It makes dubious business sense at best.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - DARK
16. Re: Ships Ahoy - DARK Jul 5, 2013, 13:02 Slashman

I watched Let Me In last night. It's a really good film. Not sure why anyone would find it boring.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

News Comments > Killing Floor: Free Week; Patch; Sale; More
8. Re: Killing Floor: Free Week; Patch; Sale; More Jul 5, 2013, 12:14 Slashman

Prez wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 09:04:
Yeah, great game. I've played a few coop games with asshats, but it's a popular enough game that finding a server with decent teammates is pretty simple.

I'd like to see a sequel soon, though.

Got this on my Steam list and played a single round of single player once. I really should give it a try online.

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - DARK Jul 4, 2013, 18:19 Slashman

ItBurn wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 16:18:
Slashman wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 15:56:
ItBurn wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 15:18:
My opinion is far grimer than the previous ones :p

So it's dirty then? Grime is really hard to get rid of.

Google says

grimer
Web definitions
(grimness) ghastliness: the quality of being ghastly.

There's also

grimmer comparative of grim (Adjective)
Adjective
Forbidding or uninviting.
(of humor) Lacking genuine levity; mirthless; black.

Not valid? I think "ghastly" is actually better than just "uninviting"
Use "more grim" if you prefer

grim
/grim/
Adjective
Forbidding or uninviting.
(of humor) Lacking genuine levity; mirthless; black.

Grimer isn't a word. It is, however, a pokemon.

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - DARK Jul 4, 2013, 15:56 Slashman

ItBurn wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 15:18:
My opinion is far grimer than the previous ones :p

So it's dirty then? Grime is really hard to get rid of.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 21:14 Slashman

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 20:52:
Because consoles are the bastion of light against the darkness of piracy.

You shall not pass!!!

News Comments > On the Future of Diablo III
9. Re: On the Future of Diablo III Jul 2, 2013, 12:07 Slashman

Xero wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 11:46:
Actually, you and everyone else would have bought it because it said Diablo III on the cover. The fact that it turned out so horrible did not come to light immediately for all. I was in the beta and already saw some of the bad stuff but had hope for the final. Unfortunately there was no saving grace for this game.

I just don't like how you act like you were so intelligent for skipping it when in fact you just heard what everyone else has to say about it.

I skipped it because the always online DRM requirement, lack of modding, and auction house were all BS. The fact that Blizzard kept providing additional reasons for me not to ever be tempted to pick it up does indeed make me feel much better about my decision as time goes on.

The fact that you had first hand knowledge of some of the shortfalls from your time in beta and still picked it up might make one question your judgement.

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Jul 1, 2013, 19:45 Slashman

NKD wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 16:47:
MMOs can be challenging and hardcore, you just have to have a greater focus, and be more mindful of your budget. It's only if you're looking for a quick cash-in that you want to cater to the casual MMO players who will only play your game for 6 months.

Pick a niche, do it well, and you'll have a modestly sized game but one that grows over time, with a dedicated player base, instead of one that is slowly collapsing over time with a revolving door player base.

MMOs started going down hill once they went out of their way to attract players who, quite frankly, don't even like MMOs.

This is so very true. All of a sudden the games industry has become all about getting people who really don't like games, or can't bother to learn them properly, to play them.

EVE picked a niche and stuck with it. It worked very well. No one else seems to even be able to grasp that concept. Not everyone will like your game if you go for a niche, but that's OK. Not everyone has to.

News Comments > Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga
25. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 1, 2013, 17:31 Slashman

JediPunisher wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 16:33:
I am very surprised that the headline doesn't read...
Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Sony
... especially after the great job he did at E3 convincing Xbox fanboys to preorder the PS4.

Riiight...because they want it to happen in the other direction now!

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jul 1, 2013, 11:33 Slashman

Illumin wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 11:00:
Yes, the original EQ bent you over and made you its bitch and we liked it. A solo warrior fighting a blue mob would be a 10 min battle sometimes and there were good odds you would die, and even better odds a roamer and his friends would find you before the fight was over. Then after the fight you might get a silver or a tuft of wolf hair.

I think it's just the fact that you worked for something. The fact that the world was a dangerous place and that it wasn't holding your hand.

I'm fairly sure that most developers now don't understand what made EQ interesting or compelling. There were a lot of flaws with it, but they didn't need to be corrected by hand-holding and negating any consequences for failure.

MMOs have gone in a direction that basically shows them up for what they are(boring hotbar fests with no sense of urgency, skill or tactical thought required), and completely killed what they could have been: Dangerous, interesting and beautiful worlds whose secrets you wanted to discover while keeping yourself alive long enough to do so.

People kind of hoped that Vanguard would lead the way back to that old school feel, but it turns out that the entire dev team was too stoned or busy having extra-marital affairs to really make the game properly.

I'm done with them. Have been for a long time. I much prefer a good single-player RPG or 4x game these days.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 30, 2013, 21:11 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 20:07:
No, but I have grown to want a motivation to play them. What's the point of playing Endless Space more than once? You can't influence shit in this game, nothing new or ground-breaking different ever happens. Battles are always going to be a race to the best weapon research. Best fleet combo is always the same (even across species). Development of planets is always the same.

Yeah they added super wonders (Which hardly do anything) but apart from the motivation to destroy the enemy with boring battle after boring battle the game has nothing to offer. Yes it's super pretty, but I found myself just autoing every battle after a while.

I got massively bored with this game ;/

Did you look at some of the changes they made in the expansion? Different races actually have more distinction now. They also changed a lot of the how the FIDS bonuses work for planets.

The Harmony play rather different than any other race because they cannot use dust at all.

If you don't like 4x games, you never will. If you have to look for motivation to play them, perhaps they just aren't for you.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 30, 2013, 19:22 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 19:11:
I am a bit sad Disharmony for Endless Space adds nothing that could motivate one to actually play the game. It's still a "0 plot" sandbox. Where every game is the same (gameplay wise). Sad!

At least the combat got a bit less of a random mess in this Addon...

You play 4x sandbox games for the plot? Really?

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2013, 13:55 Slashman

Wow...I used to think I wouldn't mind visiting Sweden someday... Speechless  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Endless Space: Disharmony
4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Endless Space: Disharmony Jun 27, 2013, 16:22 Slashman

dj LiTh wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 08:21:
RTS 4x? Stardrive.

2D combat...not really my thing.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Endless Space: Disharmony
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Endless Space: Disharmony Jun 26, 2013, 22:27 Slashman

Whiskers wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 21:49:
Do you actually get to control the ships in battle now or is it still those boring movies where you "pick a card"?

You will never get RTS control in battle for Endless Space. That was a deliberate design decision.

They added the ability to direct targeting and the ability to use formation commands to determine which ships bear the brunt of an enemy attack. Then they added fighters and bombers to be used in ship combat and planet invasions.

If you want RTS in a 4x, you can play SoTS 1 and 2 or Sins of a Solar Empire.

News Comments > Avellone: Kickstarter Inspiring Old School RPG Renaissance
31. Re: Avellone: Kickstarter Inspiring Old School RPG Renaissance Jun 26, 2013, 20:33 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 19:07:
There's actually a renaissance of midrange games coming out these days thanks to digital distribution, which makes it feasible to launch at the $20-30 price point. Examples: Prison Architect, Ride to Hell, Xenonauts, Rising Storm, Expeditions: Conquistador, War for the Overworld, Zeno Clash 2, Stardrive, etc. And many games launch at $40, a far cry from $60: Airland Battle, FE: Legendary Heroes, Pro Cycling Manager, Moto GP, Deadpool. These aren't quite AAA games, but not casual indie games either.

I know and that's great. I was more referring to larger publishers not wanting to fund more mid-range games in deference to AAA titles.

1611 Comments. 81 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo