Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1520 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - SimCity Cities of Tomorrow
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity Cities of Tomorrow Nov 13, 2013, 09:49 Slashman

Are people really still playing this?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending
15. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 13, 2013, 08:28 Slashman

Fibrocyte wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 07:54:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 07:43:
"We’re starting work to get Shadowrun Returns available on GOG.com right now - not sure how long that will take but we’ll let you know as soon as we have an answer."

Sooner you do, the sooner I buy! No more money for Gabe Newell's DRM.

Steam is so convenient and non-intrusive that I would hesitate to categorize it with typical DRM. Why must people whine so damn much about nothing?

It makes them feel important and like they are taking a stand for something. The actual reality is much different, but they just stick their fingers in their ears and chant mantras about protecting their rights.

Because you know, videogames is serious business...

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $26 Million
23. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 22:23 Slashman

EkimDeLhi wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 22:11:
$28 million Stretch Goal - The ability to fly. Like not in the game, but in real life. We've been planning anti-grav belts since the start. Soar around your neighborhood and impress your friends!
$20k+ backers only
(pewpew sounds not included)

Heh heh!

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
3. Re: Saturday Consolidation Nov 2, 2013, 12:09 Slashman

Your identity protected. Now get back to getting busy!!!  

News Comments > Valve: Steam Offline Mode "Designed to be Indefinite"
18. Re: Valve: Steam Offline Mode Nov 1, 2013, 23:36 Slashman

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 22:41:
No it's them PR'ing covering their ass. It has a specific month timer, if you don't login to steam for a month you can't go into offline mode.

I know because I've encountered it. It's WAY TOO specific to be a bug, it's a DRM feature to ensure that gabe can monitor your playtime when you play offline games.

So why doesn't everyone get it?

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns for Linux Released
11. Re: Shadowrun Returns for Linux Released Oct 31, 2013, 16:07 Slashman

I've never played a Shadowrun game so I'm not sure what to expect from this one. Is It worth it?  

News Comments > Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts
13. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 15:09 Slashman

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 14:49:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 12:56:
I would imagine (looks at stats) that Steam is only 20 Million actual accounts. The rest are dupes and 2nd,3rd,4th accounts (see mess that was holiday sale).
I was gonna guess 5 million when you don't count abandoned accounts. Might be higher than that...

It cannot be 5 million if their usage numbers regularly hit 4.5 million. The world doesn't exist in a single timezone.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players "Aren't Gamers"
29. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 14:54 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 14:49:
Well it would explain why they have such poor taste. These are the assholes that keep reality tv alive and well too. Yeah, because watching people do daily chores like driving a truck is just interesting beyond fucking words. Rolleyes

There are people who watch people cutting down trees that think it makes great entertainment.

You could at least make a small case for the repo-man shows(provided that crap isn't staged anyway). But yeah. Reality tv is bottom-feeder territory.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 27, 2013, 18:33 Slashman

Why was it even taken away from Rocksteady? Did anyone give a reason or did Rocksteady just not want to work on it anymore?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 27, 2013, 12:54 Slashman

Wow. Naruto at number 3. Unexpected...  

News Comments > Devolver's Blood Hint
12. Re: Devolver's Blood Hint Oct 23, 2013, 16:29 Slashman

Shadow Warrior was awesome. I have no idea why they went to low key with the marketing.  

News Comments > X Rebirth Trailer & LE Details
13. Re: X Rebirth Trailer & LE Details Oct 21, 2013, 18:02 Slashman

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 11:43:
Do the X games still have that shitty flight mechanics that feel like your just fighting the controls rather than flying?

Pretty impressive visually here I have to say.

I have no idea what the hell you're talking about with fighting the controls. The flight controls in X games have never been an issue.

You have the choice to use flightsticks, gamepads and mouse and keyboard. I use a Sidewinder Precision flightstick myself. Never had a problem with them.

News Comments > More Free Endless Space DLC Next Month
7. Re: More Free Endless Space DLC Next Month Oct 20, 2013, 00:05 Slashman

Flatline wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 15:58:
Crustacean Soup wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 01:16:
Fifth? I haven't played since around launch, how much has the game changed since then? Anyone?

I came in to ask the exact same thing. Launch had promise but was deeply flawed and I just never went back.

The thing is that this is a difficult question to answer easily.

The core gameplay is the same as launch, but a lot of things have been added or expanded.

When you add in the Disharmony expansion, it is a huge list of stuff. Plus some of that stuff then got changed/added to in subsequent patches.

If your only experience is with the game at launch, then you're in for a big info dump if you jump in now. The experience is a lot better for sure.

Off the top of my head though: 1) New invasion mechanics(further enhanced by fighters/bombers)

2) Interface tweaks.

3) Diplomacy tweaks(some folks still want more expansion in this area)

4) Weapon overhaul. This is a big one. Weapons work differently and you should take the time to get to know the new system

5) Random events/exploration events. Some of these require tough choices.

6) Graphic enhancements to the galaxy map.

The list goes on. And I'm sure I missed some other stuff too.

Hope that helps a bit.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Oct 18, 2013, 10:42 Slashman

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 06:21:
Flak wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 01:59:
Cutter wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 00:44:
No they're not. Because as he put its childhood as we know it is only a few decades old and still not a reality for a lot of the planet anyway. Much as I hate the meme, this is really a "first world problems" puff piece.

Considering that many children in the western world only ~100 years ago were working in factories, I'd say video games are the least of people's concerns, they should probably pull their head out from their arses and take a look around at what else is going on in the world right now.

Ofcourse anyone with half a brain-cell knows that 8-10 hours of video gaming (or anything else for that matter) for a child would be destructive, but it just feels good to blame video games and pass off responsibility to something/someone that isn't the parents of the child in question, something modern parents seem to be awfully good at (video games, types of music/movies, junk food, etc..). You're the one who brought another life into this already overburdened world, do your god damn job and stop blaming other people for your failures as a parent.

Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.

The problem is that it only makes a difference when the parents of the children who are being raised incorrectly feel this way.

I've had a father tell me that he works to too had to spend time bothering what his daughter is doing on her PC in her room. It keeps her occupied, and that's what is important. Rolleyes

News Comments > 2K Marin Layoffs
1. Re: 2K Marin Layoffs Oct 18, 2013, 09:01 Slashman

Damn...PR BS speeches from companies who just fired a bunch of staff just makes my skin crawl.

I'd be happier if they just said: 'Yeah, we let a bunch of staff go. Yeah, it's gonna suck for them but too bad. The higher ups still have their Ferraris, so everything is cool.'

Or at least say SOMETHNG that doesn't sound like this was some brilliant tactical maneuver that you had planned all along.

This last part especially: 'Our goal to create world-class video game titles remains unchanged.'

You're a friggin' game studio. What OTHER goal would you possibly have? Making world-class donuts?

News Comments > Arkham Games Ditch GFWL
19. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 17, 2013, 23:08 Slashman

Awesome additional fact: Both my Arkham games are now GOTY. I have city with all the extra DLC whereas I just had the base game before!!!  

News Comments > Thief Dropping XP System
7. Re: Thief Dropping XP System Oct 17, 2013, 09:44 Slashman

gray wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 09:05:
More back-scrabbling, seems to be very common these days (180/SimCity). I'm not confident it will be enough though, the core design seems to be fundamentally off with this one. All they had to do was make the same damn game, so sad.

No they didn't have to make the same game. But that doesn't mean they had to make some kind of action/superhero game. Thief - Arkham City of Origins isn't what the the franchise needed to turn into.

We already have Dishonored.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Announced for 64-bit PCs
20. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Announced for 64-bit PCs Oct 15, 2013, 17:16 Slashman

Gonna hold off celebrating until I'm assured that combat is something more than a horrible snoozefest that looks like it was designed by a half-drunk, blind man with narcolepsy.  

News Comments > The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Revealed
8. Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Revealed Oct 15, 2013, 00:11 Slashman

nin wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 12:21:
El Pit wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 09:44:
The third movie was not as good as its brilliant predecessors (especially Spider-Man 2), but still better than the mess the reboot is. So it would have been worth every penny to get Raimi on board for Spidey 4 (which was already in preproduction when the producers decided to reboot it altogether).

As bad as the reboot was, I still thought 3 was the worst - I nearly walked out of the theater when the Evil Tobey Dance Number started up.

But I agree, 2 was the best. I'd go so far as to say maybe the best super hero movie, at least until Dark Knight came along.

Totally agree. They tried to cram 2.5 movies worth of stuff into one movie and on top of that, the whole Venom and Black Suit Spidey story was way out of whack.

The black suit never made Peter Parker into an evil version of himself. The problem was that it made him too much Spiderman. So much so that even when he was sleeping, it would animate his body and take him out crime fighting.

In any case, they could have used that third movie just to wrap up the Goblin story-line and I think it would have been fine without 2 additional villains. One of which, no one cared about anyway. Sandman? Really?

News Comments > DICE: Linux Needs "One Killer App or Game"
40. Re: DICE: Linux Needs Oct 14, 2013, 10:24 Slashman

DanteUK wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 07:47:
I've played a number of games, mostly from id Software as they did native Linux ports but recently I've been playing games using 'wine'. It's tricky to make it work and it's not perfect but then last time I played a game on Windows 7 I got a few random crashes and a hung machine ( Skyrim, I'm looking at you ).

Skyrim has never crashed on my Win 7 system apart from me badly installing some mods and as a sign that my motherboard was finally giving up the ghost. Considering that I run no less than 28 mods, I'd say that it's very unlikely that Skyrim was the issue.

I hear my wife and kids and colleagues at work all complaining about Windows 8 and Windows 7 crashes / hangs / slowness / general issues, this hasn't changed in forever. I like saying "I don't have that problem, I don't run Windows!" - That doesn't mean I don't have problems, Linux is software, therefore it's not perfect, but it's harder to complain about something that's free ( and don't make that point that time is not free so time solving problems = cost - I spend no more time with problems on my Linux machines than an average Windows user! ).

Most people who have problems with Windows 7 systems, are responsible for their own issues. Bad surfing habits. Installing every program without ever looking at install options(hey...let everything run at startup even if you'll never use it! Totally makes your system speedier!)

I've been using my current Win7 installation for years. It's just as fast as ever and I've moved it across at least 3 generations of hardware. I do minimal maintenance apart from a weekly deep malware scan(which never finds anything because I don't install crap), registry clean and general system cleanup.

Linux is just not suited for your average user. I don't think it ever really will be unless it is a very controlled experience. And then you are back to a console kind of setup.

So my final comment is simple, if you guys like paying M$ for their OS and like paying for lots of Commercial Software then keep ignoring Open Source. Linux and Open Source software is everywhere and doing very nicely thank you.

The problem is that the experience is different on each OS. And for most people, not comparable or comfortable enough to be worth the switch.

For me, as a gamer, it certainly isn't worth it. As a tech, I can run either one but I really don't feel the urge to try to wrangle a Linux box into a workable gaming box. The payoff just isn't worth the effort.

1520 Comments. 76 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo