Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1574 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Limit Theory Video
1. Re: Limit Theory Video Feb 3, 2014, 09:16 Slashman

If it hasn't already been said here, then I'll say it now:

This guy is awesome. I am constantly surprised by what he manages to accomplish by himself, when so many other developers with larger teams, budgets and more resources disappoint so frequently.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA Class Action Suit Plans
15. Re: EA Class Action Suit Plans Feb 1, 2014, 21:43 Slashman

As far as Sim City goes, I doubt it cost anywhere near what BF4 did in terms of development and marketing. It was a PC only title, afterall.

It only really made a splash in the PC gaming community.

News Comments > Brad McQuaid/Richard Garriott Kickstarter Cross-Promotion
3. Re: Brad McQuaid/Richard Garriott Kickstarter Cross-Promotion Jan 31, 2014, 19:53 Slashman

Darks wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 18:33:
Shroud of the Avatar is an Absolut disappointment. This game is a is going to be another one on RG's resume as a failed attempt.

I haven't looked at it lately. What's wrong with it exactly?

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jan 31, 2014, 13:12 Slashman

Task wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 13:08:
angry joe's review of ACM, a pile of a game, is the best thing eva :-D

+1

News Comments > Warlock 2 Trailer; Editor Plans; Livestream Today
4. Re: Warlock 2 Trailer; Editor Plans; Livestream Today Jan 30, 2014, 15:59 Slashman

Necrophob wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 13:46:
I sure hope this game isn't related to the Warlock movie from the 80's.

Dude...those movies are CLASSICS!!!

News Comments > Spicy Horse Downsizes Due to Akaneiro Debt
13. Re: Spicy Horse Downsizes Due to Akaneiro Debt Jan 29, 2014, 23:24 Slashman

Well I never expected much from this so I can't say I'm disappointed.

With 2 million, they could/should have made a more worthwhile game...

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock II Details and Screenshots
4. Re: Legend of Grimrock II Details and Screenshots Jan 27, 2014, 20:11 Slashman

wtf_man wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 20:02:
I'm still waiting for the $#@^&%#! IOS version.

Huh? Huh

News Comments > SOE Boss: Next Game "Dedicated" to Star Wars Galaxies Fans
13. Re: SOE Boss: Next Game Jan 26, 2014, 17:33 Slashman

Wildone wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 17:19:
Every-single-person-here-will buy it

Huh?

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Jan 18, 2014, 16:21 Slashman

InBlack wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 11:17:
Those horseless wagons sure are useless. I see no reason why we should all be switching to them when our regular wagons are so much cheaper and more efficient.

Seriously? You went there? SteamOS isn't a major new thing. It is just an alternative at this point.

News Comments > SimCity Offline Mode Coming
6. Re: SimCity Offline Mode Coming Jan 13, 2014, 09:38 Slashman

Verno wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 09:27:
What a clusterfuck EA made of this game. Offline mode is a good start but doesn't really fix the game being designed around smaller city sizes due to underpinning online functionality where none was necessary.

It's like the extra ingredient in a secret sauce...made of crap!

News Comments > Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?
15. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 12:20 Slashman

Prez wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 11:45:
Origin actually has gotten somewhat useable. If Steam didn't beat the snot out of it in every category it might even be an acceptable alternative. The worst part about Origin, of course, is the company it belongs to. They are equal parts despicable and moronic.

That actually takes some doing...

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up
3. Re: Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up Jan 5, 2014, 12:13 Slashman

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 12:00:
So Prez ya want to add me to your sharing list?

Dibs on the first 400 games in Prez's library!!!

News Comments > Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed
46. Re: Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed Jan 2, 2014, 19:57 Slashman

Deathbishop wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 19:03:
The point is that yes, they can do that but to what end? I hope folks understand that the day Steam starts removing games from libraries with abandon is the day Valve destroys the very reputation is has as the premiere digital distrubtor, not just from consumers but from devs/publishers as well. Millions upon millions of dollars it would cost Valve. I do not think it would be in their best interest to screw over customers and in turn, the industry.

Dude. Stop saying stuff like that because then we'd have no grounds for fear mongering and conspiracy theories about controlling the entire digital distribution industry.

Where would we be then, huh? HUH?? Mad

News Comments > Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed
4. Re: Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed Jan 2, 2014, 11:40 Slashman

Blue wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 11:16:
Looks like I got distracted amid re-writing that. We need a "report this post as incoherent" button.

You need to get right on that!! Whip

News Comments > Steam Hits 7.6M Concurrent User Record
108. Re: Steam Hits 7.6M Concurrent User Record Jan 1, 2014, 19:46 Slashman

avianflu wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 16:31:
Slash re: your statement that Steam would be around "till we all die"

That is a very 20th Century statement. Few businesses of any sort large or small last that long these days. I couldnt take that idea at all seriously.

I do think Steam will be completely viable for another 5 years. After that? Who knows.

It really only needs to be around for as long as I'm interested in gaming. I'm not the type to lament over old games that I'm never going to play again anyway. There are very few games old games that I actively play over, and even if for some reason Steam did shut it's doors, I'm not worried that I won't be able to get games that I want to play. I can go and buy the whole Wing Commander series on GOG right now. How old is that series?

The thing is that you keep ignoring that developers and publishers ultimately hold the final say in what restrictions are placed on their games. Steam does not. And they aren't interested in doing so. So bashing or hating on Steam is pointless. It has downsides like everything else. In my opinion it has way more upsides than than down.

104. Re: Steam Hits 7.6M Concurrent User Record Jan 1, 2014, 16:03 Slashman

avianflu wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 11:16:
Slash, you explain the advantages for the devs re: the Steam client, which is all great for devs.

Did you properly read my post? How is my first paragraph about advantages for developers?

However, for consumers? Suggesting that Steam will be around "to the day we die" is not likely convincing to most folks.

If Steam's longevity wasn't convincing to most folks, most folks wouldn't be using Steam. The fact is that most folks do and most folks have no issue doing so.

Lastly, you have ignored the most important point about Steam. Valve isn't forcing those large publishers or smaller indie devs to exclusively use its service. They actually encourage them to sell their games as many places as possible and there are no contract restrictions in place to prevent them doing so.

So why are you blaming Steam for how a game is distributed and DRMed when it is entirely possible to sell a Steam game without DRM? Go and criticize all the developers and publishers who choose to sell their games in a manner that you think is pro-DRM/anti-consumer.

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Fallout Games
11. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 1, 2014, 15:52 Slashman

Julio wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 14:47:
Blame Bethesda and Steam for their tight pro-drm stance. Hopefully everyone that wanted these got them by now.

How is this Steam's fault again?

News Comments > Deadpool Game Disappearance
4. Re: Deadpool Game Disappearance Jan 1, 2014, 12:39 Slashman

Now I'm regretting not getting it big time...  

101. Re: Steam Hits 7.6M Concurrent User Record Jan 1, 2014, 09:14 Slashman

avianflu wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 06:53:
Steam is in effect a game renting service with mandatory game client.

You dont own your games if Steam goes away.

Pro Steam folks make some good points but sorry guya, the truth is that your game library is a rental library.

First, most people aren't pro-Steam as much as practical about where they buy games from. Ease of use and access, friend lists and reviews. Frequent and decent sales. No hassle auto updates and even free stuff now and then.

The whole rental angle is just a scare tactic in an attempt to make people panic over something that they are very unlikely to need to panic over. If all my Steam games are 'rentals' and they are all available til the day I die, do I really give a crap? Do most people give a crap?

Last and most important point. Steam does not force the system on developers who use it. A developer can sell a game to you on Steam and make that game work just fine without it. Or even give you access to a no-DRM version. Egosoft did this with Terran conflict/Albion Prelude. Gratuitous Space Battles run without the Steam client and GOG gave me a download link to a DRM free copy of The Witcher 2 even though I bought it on Steam.

If you look at the Steam page where Valve offers its services to developers, they outright say that they don't have any interest in restricting how developers sell their games outside of Steam or the other methods by which they do it.

So instead of putting the blame on Valve for whatever crime you think they are committing, put it where it belongs: The developers who choose to use the service without exercising their ability to tailor how their games run on it.

76. Re: Steam Hits 7.6M Concurrent User Record Dec 31, 2013, 07:54 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 06:53:
@ Jerykk, I agree with pretty much everything you said, but Ladron's got a point: Steam is a defacto monopoly, and that's problematic. A benevolent dictator is still a dictator. I have 270 games on the system, and I love its features, but it's scarily dominant. I spent most of this year avoiding buying games on Steam, instead buying them on Gamefly and Humble. As the year went on, more and more games from those platforms included or required Steam keys. Valve has PC gaming by the balls, and so far they've been gentle. But I'd prefer my balls to be in no one's hands. Keeps me from being locked in, or losing all my marbles if the monopoly sells out or goes belly up. I lost access to a lot of games when D2D sold out to Gamefly. If Steam did that, it would be a nightmare.

The problem is that no one is stepping up to offer truly better alternatives.

GOG will NEVER be embraced by game devs and publishers, no matter how many experiments CD Projekt Red runs to show that piracy isn't a factor in game sales.

The other online retailers either got in the game way too late or simply don't have a system as appealing to the majority of game consumers.

Valve didn't put Steam in the position it is in today, the people who buy games did that.

I mean maybe someone will come up with a system that offers all the features of Steam(but better) while allowing offline installs, offline activations and a no DRM guarantee. The problem then becomes who will sell their games there.

1574 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo