Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1567 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Rogue for PC Possible
3. Re: Assassin's Creed Rogue for PC Possible Sep 17, 2014, 11:17 Slashman

Why even bother making games for last gen consoles? What is the point?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Magicka 2 Karaoke Trailer and Contest
4. Re: Magicka 2 Karaoke Trailer and Contest Sep 13, 2014, 20:53 Slashman

Dang I'm gonna have to buy it now...  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Fable Anniversary
11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Fable Anniversary Sep 12, 2014, 23:20 Slashman

PHJF wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 22:28:
So they removed the mouse support in the UI (which was in the original game). The dev rep can be quoted as saying, "we only had time to do mouse controls or mod support, and we chose mod support."

What the hell???

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Nears; New Trailer
6. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2 Nears; New Trailer Sep 11, 2014, 15:12 Slashman

Too many games but I want this too!!! Wreck  

News Comments > Endless Legend Next Week
5. Re: Endless Legend Next Week Sep 10, 2014, 16:06 Slashman

Get in and play it Cutter. I want to know if the AI is up to scratch or if I should just wait for some post launch patches.

No reason not to get Endless Space. It's a fun game. As some mentioned, the combat isn't for everybody but it is way more interactive than GalCiv 2. If you're going to get it, get it along with the Disharmony expansion pack. It will be much more satisfying that way.

News Comments > Raven's Cry Pre-Purchases
6. Re: Raven's Cry Pre-Purchases Sep 10, 2014, 09:16 Slashman

Still can't believe people are using DRM on top of Steam. Are we regressing now? I thought the last of this crap had finally dried up.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
27. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 8, 2014, 10:03 Slashman

harlock wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 08:42:
you might expect everyone to agree with you, but yeh - thats really stupid

Actually I just expect that someone who doesn't agree actually presents a valid argument besides "the game is this...because I say it is. So there." That whole reasoning and common sense thing is hard I know but it helps to lend some validity to your statements. Don't let me stop you from being you though. Carry on.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 7, 2014, 23:29 Slashman

harlock wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 21:05:
Slashman wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 19:25:
Omni wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 18:35:
harlock wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 17:47:
Omni wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 16:10:
Lichdom: Battlemage is kinda repetitive if you ask me.

its basically an old school doom type game

Doom had speed and weapons you didn't get bored of after hours of play. Kinda sad you compare that game to an old school game.

Doom had no story and no ability to craft your own spells. I'd compare it more to Hexen or Heretic. Neither of which had any kind of spell crafting. I'm not finding it boring at all. Just misunderstood by some people who don't want to put any effort into the spell crafting system.

its a corridor shooter, with a handful of enemy types and some bosses

nuff said

Ah sorry man, my bad. I started out expecting some kind of reasoning and common sense in your analysis. I'll try not to make that mistake in the future.

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 7, 2014, 19:25 Slashman

Omni wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 18:35:
harlock wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 17:47:
Omni wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 16:10:
Lichdom: Battlemage is kinda repetitive if you ask me.

its basically an old school doom type game

Doom had speed and weapons you didn't get bored of after hours of play. Kinda sad you compare that game to an old school game.

Doom had no story and no ability to craft your own spells. I'd compare it more to Hexen or Heretic. Neither of which had any kind of spell crafting. I'm not finding it boring at all. Just misunderstood by some people who don't want to put any effort into the spell crafting system.

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 7, 2014, 15:17 Slashman

No Lichdom: Battlemage?

Kinda disappointed. Great game...

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Sep 6, 2014, 18:55 Slashman

nin wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 14:04:
Saboth wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 08:24:
I asked the guy at the register if they had Skyrim yet, and he replied "did you preorder it?" "No" "Then we don't have any copies" (in a rude manner).

Had the exact same experience many years ago, and it was the last time I set foot in their stores.

People go to stores to buy games?? Shocked

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Layoffs; Struggling Financially?
32. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Layoffs; Struggling Financially? Sep 4, 2014, 09:04 Slashman

sauron wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 08:23:
Honestly, I think the MMO formula has had its day. I played them for 10 years. There simply aren't enough new ideas coming in the new games in the genre to keep players interested. I think it's really that simple.

Studios want to keep taking the same route for MMOs over and over. It just isn't sustainable for a subscription-based game.

EVE works because it is unique and because it offers limitless freedom. The problem is that it is definitely so niche that, even though it has a huge following, most people aren't going to give it a chance because of its oftimes merciless nature and boring bits.

The MMO space is full of contradictions. For example, dedicated MMO players will often reject gameplay mechanics that lean to any kind of skill-based play. This leads studios to stick to the 'tried and true' hotbar skill system. But this inevitably leads to boring gameplay. Click this, then this and now this. They want a system they can min-max and power-level through.

Lots of other issues too. Designing static gameworlds even when they promise all this dynamism. You don't want newer players to miss a particular piece of content, so it never changes even when it has long since lost it's usefulness or meaning.

The MMO space needs a major shake-up. But the fear is that when it comes, MMO players will run from it and not embrace it.

News Comments > Op Ed
37. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 10:25 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 03:28:
It's much cheaper to educate yourselves. My feeling is that most devs are not sexist, they just use tropes without really thinking about it. And I think that's what a lot of this is all about.

Exactly. There is also the reality that many game companies aren't on the same footing. Some companies barely have the resources to finish the game they started without going bankrupt, much less combing through their content for anything that might be offensive to some people.

Also, cultural differences exist in different countries where one thing may be perfectly acceptable to have in a game/movie/tv show that is frowned on by people in another country.

It isn't a simple matter of 'remove the tropes' and 'write better characters'. There is no simple, universal fix. That's even assuming you can get people to agree on the exact things that need fixing. And judging by several of the bad examples given by those championing the cause, that's a task all on it's own.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2014, 10:34.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 00:52 Slashman

Squirmer wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 19:29:
That's really simplistic. Assuming there's some truth to the claim that those games are more appealing to men due to their design rather than content (and there might be truth to that, I don't think anyone knows for sure), the fact remains that plenty of women do still play those kinds of games. You can't use a simple percentage stat as an argument for treating female characters like shit.

First, that's based on years of observation from both being a PC tech and network admin and working at companies which do a lot of home PC repairs. Also from years of hosting and being involved in local LAN tournaments and gaming in general.

I have yet to find a truly significant number of women who are dedicated players of games like GTA or Just Cause 2. Sims? Sure. Casual social games? Sure. MMOs? Sure.

With regards to treating female characters like shit: Sometimes...even most times. Game story writers are not all that great at writing characters. And most of the time a badly written female character is a reflection of poor character writing skills period. It's not some attempt trivialize women.

Take The Last of Us: I don't have raw numbers, but I get the impression that plenty of women played that and really enjoyed it, including because the female characters in that game were treated comparatively respectfully. And the game still had tons of violence and killing. Overall, I'm sure more men than women played it. But is that because it has a lot of violence, is it because more men own PS3s than women, is it because all games have more male than female players, is it due to the cultural-historical reason that games have always been aimed at men and not women and so that's how the audience has been built, is it for some other reason?

The Last of Us, like The Walking Dead games, is a story-driven game. Women do like story driven games. Action driven games, much less so.

As to why game studios wouldn't make better female characters, money may have something to do with it. If you need to bring in a professional writer every time you make an action game just to 'nice up the female characters' in it, who is paying for that? And what kind of financial gain is to be had from it? Last time I checked, patting yourself on the back doesn't balance books.

You can also ask most developers, characters and story pretty much take a back seat in most games because they get fit in after the major framework of the game is done. So unless someone is writing a story or character driven game, those things are going to be secondary.

"Women don't like those kinds of games" seems really reductionist and lacks any evidence.

Feel free to go out and gather evidence you think is relevant and let me know what you find.

Also, I have no idea why it is a crime for women to be attracted to different game types than men. Someone probably wrote that rule while I wasn't looking.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 31, 2014, 22:20 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 22:16:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 18:28:
I don't understand the logic behind pre-ordering a digital download either.

I think civ V is the last civ game I'm likely to buy... I've gotten way more enjoyment out of victoria II/crusader Kings 2/EU 4 to the point where I haven't even considered any of the civ V DLCs. Compressing the timeline (like eu4 does) makes the game so much more immersive.

I did contracting work on civIII so that nostalgia is still there, but I just don't find the games fun anymore.

The DLC really makes Civ V what it should have been from the get go. Anyway, I'm amped for Beyond Earth!

I feel slightly more amped for Endless Legend for some reason.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 31, 2014, 19:17 Slashman

Frijoles wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 14:41:
Slashman wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 13:59:
Really surprised that Lichdom:Battlemage isn't up there. It's not a bad game at all.

I've been really tempted to buy that one, but if you click anywhere in a Let's Play video, you'll see the same gameplay and monsters. The player is moving backwards in a long corridor while they throw fireballs of different colors at the enemies to kite them. It just doesn't look like there's much else to the game. Looks fun for an hour or two, but I'm afraid I'd lose interest after that. I'll probably grab it at 50% off.

I'd say that's more people choosing to play a certain way than that being all there is to the game. It is one of those gamesw where if you are lazy and don't like to read descriptions of things, you get stuck in a pattern.

For instance, you can go toe-to-toe with almost anything in the game if you craft the right spells and shields. 2 of the 3 shield types in the game allow you to use a timed block to negate any attack while triggering a nova of varying effects depending on the type of spell you have equipped. For me, beating the first boss required me to unlearn the whole running away thing and press the attack.

Most of the people complaining about repetition aren't crafting new spell types or using the synthesis options fully.

There is an extensive in-game journal telling you exactly what does what but people insist on not reading it I guess.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 14:10 Slashman

Silicon Avatar wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 13:53:
Stop treating women in games, which are at least half the paying audience, like stripper poles.

That's just it. Women are NOT half the audience for most of the games people are discussing and arguing about with regards to sexism. They are likely less than 5%

Women have much higher percentage of the audience for games in the casual and social category. And perhaps MMOs.

If you niced up GTA 5 so that women were 'treated better' in it. You likely wouldn't sell one copy more because most women don't want to play a game like GTA 5 or Quake or Unreal Tournament or Far Cry 3 or Sleeping Dogs.

That's what's so funny about all of this. Women for the most part aren't playing these games for the same reasons they haven't been all along. They aren't into them.

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 31, 2014, 13:59 Slashman

Really surprised that Lichdom:Battlemage isn't up there. It's not a bad game at all.

I posted to Blue about the release but haven't seen a post for it come up yet.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
15. Re: Saturday Previews Aug 31, 2014, 10:18 Slashman

I'm not in on the beta but I'll likely be picking this up as soon as it comes out.  

News Comments > Op Ed
205. Re: Op Ed Aug 30, 2014, 23:20 Slashman

Sho wrote on Aug 30, 2014, 19:38:
The Walking Dead is actually one of the most violent games I can readily think of, because a lot of its more violent moments are made a point of and they happen directly at the hand of the player character. Few games have went to such lengths to point out to me I'm currently bashing someone's head in or hacking their limbs off. But the violence is also usually integral to the story, with the aftermath of violence often getting into themes about responsibility, do-ends-justify-means, revenge, etc. (But not in a ham-fisted, black-and-white way, either. It's well-written, plus multiple-choice dialogs allow player expression.)

Well first, The Walking Dead is an extremely popular show with men and women alike. Second, I'm not familiar with the gameplay in the games, but I'm thinking it's not like a FPS or 3rd person melee/shooter right? Third, it is a story driven game. Not every game can work as a story driven game. This is especially true for games that allow a wide range of freedom like open world action games ala Just Cause 2, Sleeping Dogs and GTA. Those games depend a great deal more on the player to tell their own story and are much more action-driven. The story elements are just there to flesh out the world.

I have a friend who got his wife playing Diablo 1 and 2. She would play for hours. I recently built them a new PC and they have some recent games. She now happily prefers to play Bubble Witch Saga or whatever mix and match game she can find, Farmville clones etc. Needless to say my friend isn't happy with that change in her gaming habits but nothing seems to make her want to play anything more substantial.

I've worked as a PC tech and network admin for over 17 years and I can pretty much tell you that I've seen thousands of PCs from men and women alike. I have yet to work on more than 1 or 2 PCs from any female which contained FPS/3rd person action games or even RTS games to any great degree. The interest, in general, is just not there. And it really has nothing to do with sexism and misogyny in the games themselves.

1567 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo