Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1742 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer
5. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer May 7, 2015, 13:39 Slashman

Raptor wrote on May 7, 2015, 13:23:
I suppose this is a perfectly appropriate time to have a boner right?

Permission granted!!!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EverQuest Emulator Legal
20. Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 6, 2015, 12:15 Slashman

The EVE crowd are not your typical MMO crowd though. They would be closer to the competitive multiplayer crowd, except that they generally have more patience.

For a game like the original EQ, there were a number of different factors that contributed to what made it so appealing. There was nothing else like it at the time is the first thing.

The difficulty and setup of the game game world meant that soloing was extremely unprofitable. It didn't just encourage group play, it demanded it.

At the time, social networking was nowhere near as popular as it is today (if you could even say it existed apart from MSN Messenger and ICQ in the mainstream). EQ combined social networking with a vast open world and stuff for you to do with the people you were chatting to.

Finally, the spontaneous and unforseen situations which could happen in that kind of environment are impossible to create in today's MMOs, precisely because they are all so much about hand-holding and theme parking. Anyone who remembers the infamous trains in the Estate of Unrest would get what I'm talking about.

The modern MMO is so much about tightly controlling the player experience, that there is no way to revisit those days.

As a consequence, even the new ones which come out and claim to be about recapturing that same magic, can't do it. It wasn't just a matter of harsh gameplay that demanded grouping, it was about the unfettered nature of the game world and how that allowed so many awesome moments to happen naturally.

News Comments > EverQuest Emulator Legal
14. Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 5, 2015, 17:33 Slashman

harlock wrote on May 5, 2015, 16:40:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 5, 2015, 16:37:
All these other video games are crazy boring because there's no risk.

retarded argument since you can easily customize how much "risk" you take during gaming with saves, difficulty, rogue-likes, etc.

but of course, it does require some creative thought and self-control... things which i doubt the MMO crowd has in abundance

When that risk is entirely under your control as a player, it is absolutely not even close to the same thing.

News Comments > Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Released
11. Re: Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Released Apr 29, 2015, 14:32 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 12:33:
It isn't an RPG. It's pure combat. It has more in common with XCOM than Shadowrun Returns or Dragonfall.

But does it have an actual story and overarching narrative? Or is it just random missions?

Do you level up your runners and buy gear for them etc?

I don't mind the format. Just would rather it not be random generated/generic missions.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Gameplay Trailer
34. Re: Just Cause 3 Gameplay Trailer Apr 29, 2015, 08:34 Slashman

harlock wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 07:55:
Krovven wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 00:55:
Reactor wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 21:20:
Krovven wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 17:38:
I just hope that the mouse control is better and snap-to-aim isn't a requirement. I ended up using the gamepad to play this because I couldn't stand that the crosshair would snap to chests when I was aiming at heads, using the mouse.

I'm not 100% sure, but couldn't you turn that off?

If there was I missed it. I forget what the options were. All I know is after experimenting with both I went with gamepad.

of course you can turn it off... but some people just want to bitch

Bitching about controllers is now the in thing. I still find people who say Arkham games are easier with a controller to be pretty funny.

8. Re: Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Released Apr 29, 2015, 08:31 Slashman

Well I'm not looking to buy it right away. So right now it's just curiousity more than anything.

Wonder at what point they made the switch from MMO to single/multi RPG.

3. Re: Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Released Apr 28, 2015, 23:21 Slashman

Question is: Is it any good?

Reviews seem to suggest it is...but...

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $80M; Accepting Subscription Contributions
25. Re: Star Citizen Passes $80M; Accepting Subscription Contributions Apr 28, 2015, 09:49 Slashman

Klaus Flouride wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 07:49:
It's trying to do to many tings. Ultimately it is going to fail somewhere.

It'll be miraculous if it ties all of them together with any kind of coherence. I just don't see it happening.

20. Re: Star Citizen Passes $80M; Accepting Subscription Contributions Apr 28, 2015, 00:30 Slashman

Darks wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 23:42:
Next they will be taking your mothers as payment.

Pretty sure some folks already sold theirs to buy ships.

They had already sold off the mother-in-laws... Giggle

11. Re: Star Citizen Passes $80M; Accepting Subscription Contributions Apr 27, 2015, 20:40 Slashman

Seriously people...wtf

Who are the crazy people still pouring money into this?????

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 EULA vs Griefers
6. Re: Killing Floor 2 EULA vs Griefers Apr 25, 2015, 02:18 Slashman

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 01:50:
This is going to be worse then a communist soap opera

I thought 'Deep in the Red Love' was a very well-done and thought-provoking daytime drama. Oh wait! That never got made...

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Kaiju-A-GoGo
3. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Kaiju-A-GoGo Apr 24, 2015, 14:36 Slashman

Yeah...not so much that.  

News Comments > Skyrim Free Weekend
17. Re: Skyrim Free Weekend Apr 24, 2015, 12:18 Slashman

Drayth wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 12:03:
lol

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65034/?

OK that was pretty funny.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Kaiju-A-GoGo
1. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Kaiju-A-GoGo Apr 24, 2015, 09:36 Slashman

I am thoroughly enjoying my mad rampage across the cities of the world, forcing them to bow to my will or be destroyed!!!!

Seriously. This is a fun little game with some base building and management elements thrown into the mix along with 99+ possible skills to unlock for your giant, rampaging, robot dinosaur.

News Comments > Overlord: Fellowship of Evil Announced
6. Re: Overlord: Fellowship of Evil Announced Apr 23, 2015, 13:28 Slashman

Overlord: Return to Idiocy... Wall  

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced
17. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced Apr 23, 2015, 09:15 Slashman

I dunno. Space Hulk Ascension is a pretty decent game.

I think a TW 40k game would be odd to execute though. The races in 40k aren't the least bit interested in political maneuvering or diplomacy.

Not quite sure how it would work out. The Orks just want to fight. The Eldar don't settle on planets except for a small subset of the original whole. The Humans are prejudiced against everything in the galaxy that isn't human. The Chaos forces just want to consume everything. Uhhh...not much of a good setting for a 4x there when you get right down to it. And don't even get me started on the Necrons and Tyranids.

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! Unchained Beta 2
1. Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained Beta 2 Apr 20, 2015, 09:58 Slashman

Thanks screwing up the Orcs Must Die! franchise with this F2P nonsense that no one asked for.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 20, 2015, 09:01 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 03:36:
Suppa7 wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 01:39:
Not to mention people who are buying PoE are getting it off GOG.COM or some other website besides steam. There's no reason to buy a DRM free game on steam. So the steam numbers are skewed to only those who use steam for gaming.

You say that like Steam users are a small fraction when the likelihood is that it's a vast majority.

It's the old 'Steam doesn't have as many users as most sensible people know it has and I want to pretend it is much less relevant than it is'argument.

Oh and that's on top of the 'most gamers really really care about Steam DRM' argument.

News Comments > Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Developer Switch
9. Re: Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Developer Switch Apr 20, 2015, 08:55 Slashman

Fun times in game development...

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Gratuitous Space Battles 2
10. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Apr 17, 2015, 19:39 Slashman

Honestly, for the price point, I can't justify this game.

There are currently good 4x games like Star Ruler 2 and Stardrive 2 that let you do a similar kind of ship design while providing a whole empire building/conquest game as well. And they have actual 3d combat instead of just the fixed top down view.

It just doesn't grab me. The first one got old very quickly as well for me.

1742 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo