Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1428 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > X Rebirth Preorders
17. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 11:09 Slashman

ItBurn wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 10:51:
The X games are in no way mainstream... I'm not saying they're not profitable, but they're made for a small section of the hardcore gamer population... Sure, lots of people like them... All I said is that a lot of other sandbox games have that "spark" that X lacks, for me. If you don't like X, it doesn't mean you don't like sandbox games.

X3 has it's share of problems, but most of them are a result of engine limitations. There were simply things that the AI could not do that the player could and the fact the games were using the same engine since X-BTF really began to hinder them once Terran Conflict came out.

I just don't agree that the key to a great sandbox experience is hand-holding. Yes, the tutorial sucked. I freely admit it. And yes, some mechanics were downright odd. Still, the game had more options and ways to make it in the universe than any other game of it's type out there.

For a sandbox game to be good, doesn't mean you have to have a forced plot and unlocks tied exclusively to that plot. Which is what they are doing in Rebirth. It will still likely be a great game, but I'm not happy with a single ship that you can never change in appearance and a linear plot with a linear upgrade path for said ship.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > X Rebirth Preorders
5. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 09:30 Slashman

nin wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:23:
Techie714 wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:18:
I always wanted to get into the X games but every time I booted up I was like "Ok what the hell do I do now?"

Exactly.

I always thought that the point of sandbox games was that you do whatever the hell you felt like doing. There is no 'right way' to start. Why does that scare people? You're supposed to discover stuff.

News Comments > Sword of the Stars: Ground Pounders Announced
12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2013, 21:35 Slashman

Armengar wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 10:10:
I gave up on sots 2 long ago. My beloved hivers were hamstrung completely. Want to put a gate up in an unknown system? Then why cant I send a fleet from the other side of the universe to a point, then survey, then deploy, they colonize? I could with sots1 (survey excepted of course).

But noooooo. And god help the places you have gates in at the end of each turn....

So you want to survey, gate and colonize with the same fleet?

You can survey and gate with the same fleet if you have enough endurance...not sure you can also colonize with it.

You can chain missions now. Have been able to for a while. You just have to have the necessary supplies/endurance to do it. Along with the correct fleet composition.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2013, 09:30 Slashman

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 06:16:
Choobeastia wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 00:01:
Oh, I think the Pit is a deviation as well. They made something fun, but it just wasn't what I (and I know a few others) hoped for. Basically, I would like them to either make SotS II amazing somehow, or make a new one that is.

Effectively, I'm looking for a space-based multiplayer 4x game that's fantastic and stable. This new game might be tons of fun, but it's just not what I hoped I see from them next.

Surely you understand, that they're broke? These little off-shoots are not the result of some new creative direction to go low-budget-indie... They have no choice. It's either this, or go bankrupt trying to do nothing but polish up SOTS 2 and/or make SOTS 3. If you want more 4X out of them, you should be supporting their smaller releases.

That was my point.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 23:07 Slashman

Choobeastia wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 22:59:
I'm made really sad by what this company has been producing. I loved Sword of the Stars, and I enjoyed The Pit for what it was. Sword of the Stars 2 never managed to be properly functional for TONS of people, and this doesn't look to be anything that I'm interested in. Basically, I would like for them to continue making classic Sword of the Stars things, but I just don't love the angle that they're taking with their new products.

I just hope things turn around.

SoTS 2 is functional. Pretty much everything works. The AI has even gotten somewhat decent. Exceptions being Zuul and Loa.

They have never stopped working on SoTS 2. However, they cannot produce new expansions or add-ons for it themselves. That is up to the publisher.

Most of the new games they are making are actually to help fund continued development of SoTS2. It takes people and resources to keep updating the game. And if they want to be able to do bigger updates, they need to have other revenue sources.

There is a new patch that is currently in beta right now actually.

News Comments > SimCity Traffic Improvements
12. Re: SimCity Traffic Improvements Aug 10, 2013, 22:40 Slashman

Dev wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 21:47:
ViRGE wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 16:00:
Panickd wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 14:32:
Kind of impressed that anyone at Maxis is still working on this.
Indeed. Credit where it's due: they screwed up the launch badly, but they've been making an honest effort to fix it since then. Very few games would get this kind of post-launch support.
Not that much of an effort. Its like what, 6 months later and they are just now getting around to fixing the traffic?

What was the other stuff they were prioritizing during that time again? Allowing people to actually log on? Jester

News Comments > X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers
71. Re: X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers Aug 10, 2013, 11:14 Slashman

Pyremes wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 04:12:
I believe there was enemy leveling based on your combat rank, which rises as you kill things (and is not tied to how powerful your ship is). If you sit around idle for a long time (say, leave your computer on overnight so that your autotraders can make you your fortune), the combat rank drops.

That's exactly how it is. Your combat rank determined the difficulty of enemies, not your weapons. And combat rank wasn't something that increased at breakneck pace unless you were doing nothing else but fighting.

News Comments > Sword of the Stars: Ground Pounders Revealed
6. Re: Sword of the Stars: Ground Pounders Revealed Aug 10, 2013, 11:10 Slashman

It's not a card game.

From Mecron:

"Welcome to the newest SotSverse game, GroundPounders! SotS:GP is an old-school, beer and pretzel wargame in the tradition of the classic Panzer General. It will play quick and introduce you to battalion-level ground combat in the SotS universe and is intended for various platforms. Its planned it will be fully multiplayer-capable across platforms. This game will be presented on Kickstarter and an alpha level demo will be released soon. Please look over today's teaser trailer and feel free to ask any questions at all. And get ready to get your hands dirty "

News Comments > X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers
28. Re: X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers Aug 8, 2013, 16:15 Slashman

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 15:52:
PHJF wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 15:46:
Wait a minute, you don't get to buy other ships? I knew there would be no player-piloted capital ships, but NO other ships??? Fuck that noise!

It's not noise. you get to buy plenty of other ships, including capital ships. See the Q&A that I linked.

Despite that I am still disappointed that the flagship you fly doesn't change. I don't much like the look of the Skunk personally.

I'd prefer to have a choice of at least a few different ship types/looks.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
22. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 20:47 Slashman

Impressive resume or not, that still sounds like the standard corporate BS spiel.

The whole AAA mentality is exactly what keeps screwing the industry over as everyone has to have the next CoD, AC and whatever other stupid acronym is the big game buzzword.

How about someone executes an idea for a game and realistically sets a budget that doesn't include voiceovers from Patrick Stewart or Liam Neeson?

It's cute when you mention TF2, but no one else seems to actually want their players to make money off their games but Valve. Haven't seen that from EA and I doubt we'll see it from Ubisoft.

So what you're really saying is: 'We don't want things to change, we just want to make more money off them. I hope we can cash in on the stuff that makes indie games so great but keep screwing you gamers over so you THINK you're getting a good deal. When we drive this truckload of DLC up to your door, we hope you have your credit cards ready.'

News Comments > Betrayer Announced
20. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 15:45 Slashman

Necrophob wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 15:25:
What's next, a game where you play a blind character? The screen is black the entire game, and you try to avoid the zombies using your remaining senses?

Actually, that sounds kinda interesting...

News Comments > Betrayer Announced
8. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 11:42 Slashman

It's freaky the sort of things that sound cool inside a game developer's head. Goofy  

News Comments > id: RAGE "Not Dead"
38. Re: id: RAGE Aug 4, 2013, 22:22 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 21:48:
Oh mah gawd, like what ever.

Did you say that out loud with a 'valley girl' voice?

News Comments > XCOM Enemy Within Announcement This Month?
10. Re: XCOM Enemy Within Announcement This Month? Aug 1, 2013, 11:57 Slashman

I'll take one!!!  

News Comments > Saints Row IV Still RC Down Under
5. Re: Saints Row IV Still RC Down Under Jul 29, 2013, 11:51 Slashman

There's drug use in Saint's Row 4?

I can't even remember any in Saint's Row 3...

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
22. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 28, 2013, 11:25 Slashman

FU wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 07:42:
Vote with your wallet. Oh that's right, amd cpu tech is rubbish.

ZING!

News Comments > On Sale
27. Re: On Sale Jul 21, 2013, 11:53 Slashman

nin wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 11:38:
J wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 07:01:
Thank you for that link, Dev. I've already found one hidden gem in the sale: Sacrifice. I'm watching the TB video on it now.

I never played that one, but everyone seemed to speak highly of it, back in the day...

Sacrifice is an awesome game! I think what hampered its success may have been the weird art style. But I have never seen anyone make anything like it since.

It also took a lot of getting used to for people. I guess everyone was expecting a bog standard RTS but from a 3rd person perspective. It's a lot more complex than that.

With some love and balance tweaks, I think I would gladly pay $50 for a full remake.

News Comments > Homeworld HD and Homeworld 2 HD Announced
25. Re: Homeworld HD and Homeworld 2 HD Announced Jul 20, 2013, 22:29 Slashman

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 21:51:
I don't have high hopes that Gearbox can do this.

Do what? Add high rez textures and widescreen options onto an already finished game? I'm thinking they can at least do that much...

News Comments > Homeworld HD and Homeworld 2 HD Announced
21. Re: Homeworld HD and Homeworld 2 HD Announced Jul 20, 2013, 19:28 Slashman

Totally buying these!!!

I loves me some Homeworld!!!!

News Comments > Valve's Young Developer Pipeline
9. Re: Valve's Young Developer Pipeline Jul 15, 2013, 14:41 Slashman

Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 11:07:
Valve Opens Teen Sweat Shop, World Rejoices!

Creston

Standard 14-hour work day full of joy and merriment!!! Whip

1428 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo