Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1605 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation Early Access Spotted at Retail
28. Re: Planetary Annihilation Early Access Spotted at Retail Jun 30, 2014, 16:27 Slashman

Topevoli wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 15:29:
Last time I checked EA releases and unfinished Battlefield game every few years. At least these guys are being honest and saying its not done.

They are a small company and I'm pretty sure they need money to feed their families like the rest of us. People seem to villify companies that take the quick pay day and sign on with a big publisher, but if they try to finance themselves with advanced sales then they are being deceiving.

They will probably fool a few people into buying it thinking its a complete game, but that is not their fault. A fool and his money...

These guys aren't EA. They are already selling the game via early access digitally. And that is where it should stay IMO. What's the point of printing boxes and pressing discs for an unfinished game?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Planetary Annihilation Early Access Spotted at Retail Jun 30, 2014, 10:36 Slashman

Blackhawk wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 10:23:
Unless they are actively trying to deceive people into thinking it is a finished product, I don't see what the big deal is.

Is it not the consumer's responsibility to take a few seconds to look at what they're buying before they spend their money? A game in-progress, openly marketed as a game in-progress with a price tag on it isn't dishonest. They are telling you what you get. They are telling you what you have to give them in return. You have 100% control over whether you decide to take advantage of that. They aren't deciding for you.

In theory I agree. The problem is that it just forms yet another avenue for misunderstandings and bad publicity.

From what I see of the game on the community hub, it is turning out quite decently. But it isn't retail ready. If they are going to do retail boxes, why not wait until launch? Are they going to spend the money to print up a second batch of boxes which says the game is complete once it launches? Why spend money twice?

I'm not going to say it's some kind of deception. I just don't think much thought went into it.

1. Re: Planetary Annihilation Early Access Spotted at Retail Jun 30, 2014, 09:24 Slashman

Not quite comfortable with this. I think Early Access is fine as long as it stays relegated to digital distribution.

The danger of this kind of thing is that people with sub-par net connections get this and have trouble updating the game or misunderstanding when all their saves are wiped after a major update. It just seems like a recipe for confusion and misunderstandings.

I mean, even with digital only EA, there is no shortage of apparently illiterate people who think they bought a game in retail form. Adding physical boxes to that seems like not a great idea.

News Comments > X: Rebirth Goes 64-Bit
14. Re: X: Rebirth Goes 64-Bit Jun 28, 2014, 18:41 Slashman

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 18:15:
Slashman wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 14:27:
And according to this interview, the CEO still doesn't get why people don't like the game and has no intention of really making the big changes needed.

It's like he's saying they made a great game and people just don't get how great it is.

When did He Who Shall Not Be Named start working for Egosoft? Actually, their name is oddly fitting when you think about it.

I think he was there from the beginning. One of the founders if I'm not mistaken.

News Comments > X: Rebirth Goes 64-Bit
5. Re: X: Rebirth Goes 64-Bit Jun 28, 2014, 14:27 Slashman

And according to this interview, the CEO still doesn't get why people don't like the game and has no intention of really making the big changes needed.

It's like he's saying they made a great game and people just don't get how great it is.

News Comments > Sleeping Dogs Developer Making F2P Game
4. Re: Sleeping Dogs Developer Making F2P Game Jun 26, 2014, 13:13 Slashman

Oh for the love of... *FACEPALM*  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $47M
31. Re: Star Citizen Passes $47M Jun 24, 2014, 15:23 Slashman

Creston wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 11:21:
You guys just don't get what the plants signifies. At 52 million, they will incorporate Plants vs Zombies Space Warfare into the game.

After that, they'll merge in Space Pirates and Zombies!!! Because what is gaming without some SPAZ?

News Comments > More Crytek Rumors
4. Re: More Crytek Rumors Jun 24, 2014, 14:24 Slashman

nin wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 14:21:
I luvs me some Cevat tears, but it really sucks the rest of the folks aren't getting paid. Favorite line:

One common complaint among staff is that the company has shifted gears from making big-budget shooters like Far Cry and Crysis to free-to-play games like the upcoming Arena of Fate and the unfortunately-titled shooter Warface, which bombed everywhere but Russia, according to three employees.

Early last year, Crytek boss Cevat Yerli told VentureBeat they planned to transition to making only free-to-play games, which worried a number of employees, even as they continued working on Ryse and the upcoming Homefront: The Revolution, both $60 console games.

Yep, FTP is the future, Cevat!

Yes, but the future of what?

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 23, 2014, 19:42 Slashman

Looks interesting at least. Could be fun for a few hours...  

News Comments > MS: "We Are Continuing to Support the GFWL Service"
34. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 12:32 Slashman

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 12:06:
Verno wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 10:53:
I like to imagine a scenario where Microsoft realizes the error of its ways and rebuilds its PC gaming image and helps lend more credibility to the industry for AAA releases. Plus I'm just a positive person

Is that positive or something else?

The thing about it is that it wouldn't be at all hard for them to do something. Push some decent PC exclusive releases in the right genres, add some actual useful functionality to Windows for better game support. Maybe create a small division with the purpose of actually getting in touch with the PC gaming community and learning what their needs are.

There are quite a few little things that they can do which they steadfastly refuse to do. They hosted a small breakfast event on my island recently to celebrate the launch of Office 365 in our region. How much more difficult would it be to do something similar for PC gaming? They have so many resources available to them and cannot be bothered.

That's pretty much all the statement I need from them.

30. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 09:52 Slashman

Verno wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 08:31:
I would really like to be optimistic about these things but Microsofts commitment to their own platform is just a string of broken promises and missed opportunities. They should have been Steam and instead are now neglecting their own platform entirely.

Why would you like to be optimistic? They've never done anything!

That's the point. They've never been supportive of PC games to any tangible degree. There is no leeway for optimism. They make these statements almost every year.

22. Re: Into the Black Jun 23, 2014, 00:01 Slashman

It's as if they think they are pulling some sort of major deception by saying one thing and doing the opposite year after year.

Can they really be naive enough to think that people don't KNOW that they have done jack squat for PC gaming over the last decade?

It's not like people are forming angry mobs outside their offices to protest their crappy treatment of PC games and their horrible GFWL service. So why even bother to make these statements that can be proven false less than a year later just by casually observing their actions?

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown for Linux Released
7. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown for Linux Released Jun 19, 2014, 22:27 Slashman

Paranoid Jack wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 20:42:
I'm happy for them. The more people that get to play this game the better. This game needs to be on every platform. It's just that good.

I pray they are working on another add-on or better yet the sequel. If so I am down with going early access for a game of this caliber by developers of this caliber.

They need to work on a Terror from the Deep remake!!!

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
22. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 19, 2014, 14:43 Slashman

jimnms wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 14:34:
I'm tempted to pick up XCOM:EW, but only if the game has XCOM been fixed. I haven't noticed any patches since I bought it, except the patch that added support for EW. I quit playing the game because it got too buggy. I was pretty far into the game, then all of the sudden the hit percentage indicators stopped working. No matter what the situation, the hit percentage only showed 1% or 99%.

I have never had that problem...EVER.

I haven't noticed any bugs in EW. They fixed a lot of stuff with it apparently.

Classic difficulty is now truly hell. Thin men will make you their bitch... Pimp

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
12. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 19, 2014, 14:17 Slashman

Evilness attempting to take over my wallet. Cry  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2014, 10:15 Slashman

So she references Witcher 2 and Mass Effect 2?

Aren't most of the sorceresses in Witcher 2 more powerful than Geralt? And isn't one of them a man-hating hardcore lesbian?

Mass Effect 2 is full of powerful female characters including the ability to play one as the main protagonist.

I'm also wondering how you can portray prostitutes and prostitution in a game without portraying the women as sex objects? I mean, do we pretend that prostitution doesn't happen, and hasn't been happening throughout the whole history of the human race? Do we pretend that there aren't countries where it is a legal profession? (Hello Amsterdam)

She's mad because a PROSTITUTE in a game offers you sex? I've had a prostitute jump in front of my car, kick her leg up and do a pirouette. Should I complain to the game designer of reality and tell him 'Not cool dude'?

She says these things are added to give a gritty and sexual edge to the game. Here is a newsflash: Real life is gritty and sexually edged. It happens every day over throughout the entire world. How is pointing your fingers at a video game company helping to combat this stuff?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 15, 2014, 19:35 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 19:28:
I went EA on Starbound and wish I didn't. I've gone EA on Endless Legend and even though it's still really early I love what I'm seeing so far. So long as they finish and deliver what they've promised I'll be playing it for years. But that's the trick, isn't it? I think it's safe to say most of us can resist most EAs pretty easily anyway, so it's really not that big a deal.

Man I'm tempted by Endless Legend but I think I can hang on until release. It does look good though.

In any case, I agree. Pick the stuff you really think is worth doing EA for and just wait and see for the rest.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 15, 2014, 18:35 Slashman

I much prefer early access to blind pre-orders.

People can at least voice their displeasure with the game's direction with early access and have a decent chance to be heard.

I imagine there are a bunch of people who wish Egosoft had done early access instead of releasing X:Rebirth. I can name a bunch of games which might have benefited from EA.

Some promising ones to look out for are: Starpoint Gemini 2, Starforge and Planetary Annihilation.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 15, 2014, 17:25 Slashman

There is nothing wrong with the concept of Early Access. Developers who use it correctly can make much better choices about what to include in their games based on community feedback. They also tend to have more dedicated testers since these people own the game, and many will want a hand in seeing it become the best it can be.

Here is a great example of Early Access done right.

I bought it and I think I made a decent investment.

News Comments > THQ TM to Return
8. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 15:19 Slashman

THQ published more than its share of decent games.

It was just really badly managed. If I had a choice, I'd still take them over Activision any day of the week.

1605 Comments. 81 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo