Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1742 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Borderlands Creative Director Joins Robot
6. Re: Borderlands Creative Director Joins Robot Jan 7, 2015, 14:46 Slashman

Beamer wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 11:10:

I disagree with everything you're saying, for a few reasons:

1) Yes, F2P often sucks. I honestly haven't even played any P2W games, but I have played some P2P ones, meaning that they hit the point that you literally can't do something, even fail, without either waiting upwards of a week or paying. But some companies do it right. If it's a company with a history of doing things well, why start panicking on forums and declaring them dead before you see anything at all? Why do games forums have so much endless hysteria?

It's interesting how these counter arguments all start with: 'Yeah F2P sucks most of the time.'

The reason F2P sucks most of the time is that it is hard to get the formula right. If it was, in fact, easy to get right, then we'd have a lot more well-done F2P games. As it turns out, we don't.

I have no idea where you're getting the hysteria vibe from. I'm not claiming that the developers are going under or whatever. I'm predicting that they won't bother to make another single player OMD if Unchained does well enough, which is the only thing I'm interested in from them.

2) Paul Hellquist is a huge name. Huge. But OMD:U is about to be released. Simple math means that he can't contribute much to it, but he's almost certainly getting a huuuuuuuge paycheck. They hired him for a project, and it isn't OMD:U. So, then, they have something very big planned, very very big, regardless of how OMD:U performs.

Since neither of us have any idea of what this supposed 'big thing' is, then I'm fine not assuming it's another OMD sequel.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Borderlands Creative Director Joins Robot Jan 7, 2015, 08:39 Slashman

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 06:16:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 02:55:
F2P and P2W are not synonymous. DotA2 is F2P and the only things you can buy are cosmetic items. As with all things, it's a matter of implementation.
Exactly. It comes down to the implementation, though admittedly Valve is about the only company to get it right.

So it's about implementation but most developers are crap at implementing it. That pretty much equates to the same thing.

I have no confidence that OMD 3 will ever get made. An F2P game from a small company doesn't leave a whole lot of room for separate development projects.

If we see an OMD 3, it will probably mean that Unchained failed. Selling trinkets, XP boosts and OP weapons for a game you already made is way easier than producing a new game. Once they get a taste of that easy money, I don't see them clamoring to make a better single player version of the multiplayer game they are milking for micro-transactions.

1. Re: Borderlands Creative Director Joins Robot Jan 6, 2015, 22:14 Slashman

Why the hell would they turn a decent series like OMD into F2P garbage?

Will nothing be free of this F2P/P2W taint?

Robot Entertainment was one of my favourite devs too.

News Comments > Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams
5. Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams Jan 5, 2015, 18:27 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 17:55:
Actually just shot Levine a message on FB that we need a new Freedom Force so he should get to work on doing a KS for it!

You are so so so right! Nothing in the 40s though! Enough WW2 stuff. Set it in the 70s or 80s and keep going from there.

News Comments > Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: "No Finish Line"
47. Re: Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: Jan 3, 2015, 13:33 Slashman

Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 13:25:
I heard it as "please keep us employed for the next 5 years because we all hate corporate bs". Part of me can relate to that, because top heavy management generally f's up every company and can slow the pace way down. But on the other hand, when you don't have anyone cracking the whip, there's risk it will never get done.

I think that sums up the problem with the corporate management system of big publishers. It isn't that sometimes a whip cracking is needed, most of the time the suits just don't know when and where it is needed.

News Comments > Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: "No Finish Line"
33. Re: Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: Jan 3, 2015, 08:52 Slashman

Wow. The fact that this still doesn't worry people who invested huge sums is rather impressive.

Squadron 42 gone to an episodic delivery system (we all know how well that worked out for HL), the game will never be finished and we never have enough money because every time we get more we expand the scope of the game and put actually achieving it out of our reach.

Good job Roberts and crew. Let's keep pushing for that 100 million stretch goal where you'll add a fully integrated RTS and 4x game for planetary management. Oh...and space monkeys!!!

News Comments > Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes Free Weekend
1. Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes Free Weekend Jan 2, 2015, 17:48 Slashman

This is a surprisingly good game.

While I wait for the devs to get the Endless Legend AI whipped into shape, I find myself playing this a lot. There are still major update plans in the works for it as well.

News Comments > Shadowrun Hong Kong Revealed
3. Re: Shadowrun Hong Kong Revealed Dec 30, 2014, 21:22 Slashman

Would be great if they made it with a better graphics engine though.

Nothing against the 2D stuff they used in SRR and Dragonfall but I'd like to see some major improvements going forward.

News Comments > Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight
44. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 15:08 Slashman

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 14:59:
Stupid game by a dumber company. Just going to make the games are bad groups more vocal.

I am all for freedom in game design, but there are limits which should not be crossed. This game pushes those limits.

Just don't see how anyone can say anything good about this game.

If the game actually has good gameplay then one could probably say that once they played it.

The game may have horrific content, but that doesn't make the core mechanics or gameplay bad by default. And no, I don't know what it plays like so I'm not going to preemptively call it completely bad.

News Comments > New Steam Concurrent User Record
11. Re: New Steam Concurrent User Record Dec 29, 2014, 20:47 Slashman

Trashy wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 18:58:
20 million, 100 million.. 11 years of having a steam account I guarantee at least several million can get off my lawn.

Danged whipper-snappers!!!

News Comments > Talos Principle Punishes Pirates
25. Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 18:48 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 15:25:
Aww, I was hoping it was some sort of dominatrix punishment. Oh yeah, getting their little asses spanked would be so hot!

Oh wait, I hope I didn't just think that out loud right now.

Of course not. No one noticed anything strange... Shifty

News Comments > Etherium Gameplay Video
4. Re: Etherium Gameplay Video Dec 27, 2014, 00:04 Slashman

Jonjonz wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 08:07:
Looks like a mix of Homeworld and Supreme Commander, I don't see anything new or improved here.

Ever notice when they want to sell RTS games the videos show battles, lots and lots of battles. What they never show you is how 99% of these games are all about resource gathering, and build trees, as in how fast can you get your economy up and running and go on the offensive. That is neither fun or attractive to me.

I won't touch another RTS until they swap the balance to (90% action, 10% resource gathering/base building).

In fact I promise to buy at retail the first RTS to come out that does away with resource gathering and base building entirely, and plays more like a giant toy chest. You simply pick and choose what units you want, the battle location, and get to lay out your and the enemy units however you see fit. A battle sand box. Now someone go and make a fortune off that.

So apparently you want Dawn of War 2 which sucked ass.

News Comments > CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced
24. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced Dec 26, 2014, 20:29 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 25, 2014, 22:14:
And yeah it imo needs repeating but the devs at Egosoft literally cannibalized x3 content from the mod community and sold that as "expansions". The actual behind the scenes engine improvements you can count with your fingers on one hand. Rebirth is just what happens when they have nothing to cannibalize from. Same for X3, by the way.

Yeah. All the bonus pack content and trading scripts etc that the community made really makes X3 what it is.

But.. well yeah. We got Rebirth. It is imo the end of egosoft. They will pander this game until it's dead because they don't want to innovate anymore. And Rebirth made them rich. That's the real sad part about the entire thing...

I have to hand it to them for that marketing campaign. I really do. All those preview videos with all those promises. "GTA in space!"

I had my finger on the pre-order button like the rest of the hypnotized masses but something made me hold off.

So many problems that the old games had not rectified and so many new problems that obviously no one thought of. On top of that the new DLC is nothing but a new zone and some new ships.

I guess we now know what they are capable of. Making impressive space visuals.

Even their official behind the scenes threads talk about nothing apart from the graphics side of the game. No discussion on any other aspects, including fleet commands.

22. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced Dec 25, 2014, 09:21 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 25, 2014, 03:28:
Well.. you know how people are But as there is no sign of Egosoft seeing the error of their ways I doubt it even becomes relevant. If they don't even HINT at developing X4 you know they really gave up. They have no clue what made x3 good. (Which really, was a game that was easily moddable and thus had way more life than it deserved by itself) Take the community mods (Which means X3 AP and X3 TC) out and you are left with a barren carcass of a game even after years of patching.

I think at some point Egosoft turned from a sandbox developer to a dev that thought they had what it takes to make a real game.

I just don't get what they were thinking or how they even perceive their games.

I've seen statements from Bernd that they didn't expect people to play their games as long as they did. That people playing X-BTF after the plot was over for so many hours was shocking. But then they make no actual endgame content in any of their successive titles. Including XR.

The community takes time to mod in piloting other ships which they then include in all their games right up to Albion Prelude. And then they somehow have this brainfart that releasing a game with a single (exceedingly uninteresting and ugly) ship is the way to go.

They claim they built the new engine to solve their past AI and pathing issues but actual collision damage is turned off and ships still get stuck in things and enter loops.

I really want to see what their next game announcement will be like. Out of morbid curiosity.

20. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced Dec 24, 2014, 20:52 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 17:36:
Can you blame Paradox for a dev coding an engine that can't handle the game they are making?

If they don't give the developer adequate time to finish the game and they keep interfering in the dev process, yes I can.

And a dev that implements ideas that literally nobody wants in an turn based 4x (turns taking in excess of 5 minutes)?

You actually think that long turn times was somehow an idea by a developer? Or anyone? What are you smoking?

I mean I get your point, but Paradox was the gatekeeper that failed, while Kerberos was the dev that failed.

I look at the history of the developer and see that this is their ONLY game that came out like that. These are the guys who made Homeworld Cataclysm and Homeworld 2. They don't have a history of releasing games in that state.

What decent publisher stops a developer from patching a game at no cost to itself? Paradox says one thing and then does something else entirely. A lot of smaller publishers operate just as bad or worse than the Evil Overlords (EA, Activision) that we all love to hate.

Now take a look at Egosoft's history.

And yeah.. the problem is Egosoft made a shit-ton of money from Rebirth from all the fans that (stupidly) bought into it. From what I hear it was enough to keep Egosoft afloat for 10+ years. And that a studio slacks off and basically just recycles in such state is sadly reality ;(

I keep hoping that people stop rewarding that kind of behaviour when it repeats itself so often, but I have my doubts.

18. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced Dec 24, 2014, 08:55 Slashman

SOTS2 was a screw-up mostly attributable to Paradox. That became apparent the more I learned about the whole thing.

X Rebirth was a screw-up totally attributable to Egosoft.

The history of the developers alone will tell you that if nothing else.

Egosoft needs to learn it can't keep doing the same crap over and over. How many more failed launches will it take for them to get it?

3. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced Dec 23, 2014, 10:58 Slashman

NamecaF wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 10:15:
nin wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 09:47:
They had a rough launch, so I'm glad they're giving it another shot. I'll prob back them again.

Did you ever play the first one nin? Is it any good/worth grabbing?

I'd say yes, but I'm not that far into the first one. Got distracted by a bunch of other things. Very detailed game world and lots of choices, even in just the early tutorial part of the game.

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released
35. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 22, 2014, 07:35 Slashman

InBlack wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 07:04:
They can stick their first ten missions of the 'episodic' Squadron42 where the Sun dont fucking shine. The last time I fell for that bullshit I still thought Halflife 3 was just around the corner. Fuck that. Im with MoreLuckThanSkill here. If and when he releases the FULL single player game (which is basically what everyone wanted before the MMO fanbois became the dominant voice in the Starcitizen kickstarer) I might jump on board. Call me a hater if you like. I do hate dishonest bastards, although I usually reserve that feeling for people I actually know in real life. In this case Im more annoyed with the army of fanbois who believe they are dictating the development of a game, and paying for the privilege of doing so.

So hold on. Squadron 42 is now episodic?? I thought it was a full campaign on release. Yeah...this keeps getting better.

It's like no one can just make the game they promised. X Rebirth a total FUBAR on launch that still hasn't recovered. ED cancels the offline mode. Now SC and all its 70 million promises that keep changing.

Someone needs to donate a couple million to the guy that makes Evochron and have him make a decent space sim for current gen PC systems. I at least trust him to deliver what he said.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 20, 2014, 08:33 Slashman

vacs wrote on Dec 20, 2014, 04:28:
Like most tools like this one, they actually do more harm than help. I personally avoid this programs, especially the registry cleaner part...

And once again, ignorance speaks loudest. Will it ever be muzzled?

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale Begins
31. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 18, 2014, 17:34 Slashman

Pr()ZaC wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 17:18:
Endless Legend is also on sale... Cheesy

Keep twisting that knife in 'em. Who needs a life outside their PC anyway?

1742 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo