Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1993 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > BATTLETECH Expanded Merc Campaign Coming
3. Re: BATTLETECH Expanded Merc Campaign Coming Oct 18, 2015, 12:05 Slashman

I don't think the AI should be a problem since it will only have to deal with tactical turn-based battles. It's not a 4x.

The odds will likely always be against you anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Endless Series Sells 2M
5. Re: Endless Series Sells 2M Oct 16, 2015, 18:09 Slashman

I strongly suspect that Endless Space 2 will suffer from this problem as well.

The issue is that most 4x developers can't do proper combat so we get these flimsy-ass excuses like "We don't want people to micro-manage in combat" or "If we do tactical combat, the people that like empire management will complain'.

No one wants to say, "we really just suck at this". And unfortunately, that's exactly the case.

That's partly why no one else has been able to do decent combat like Sword of the Stars. It's sad...

News Comments > Endless Series Sells 2M
2. Re: Endless Series Sells 2M Oct 16, 2015, 12:56 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 10:48:
What about Diana Ross & Lionel Richie's My Endless Love?

Ah the classics!

News Comments > The Age of Decadence Begins
4. Re: The Age of Decadence Begins Oct 15, 2015, 14:17 Slashman

Whoohoo!!! They've saved RPGs. Praise the Lord for them! Nary a soul before them knew how to do it right! Sarcasticclap  

News Comments > Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access
130. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 15, 2015, 09:53 Slashman

IF anyone is interested for some actual valid input on the casting: I talked to a developer recently and he basically said that most of the Hollywood star types will do game voice-over work for a lark.

So it is highly unlikely that the casting cost a huge amount. Not trivial, but not crippling either.

I have no idea how much a MOCAP studio costs to build and run though.

News Comments > Warhammer: End Times Vermintide Trailer
7. Re: Warhammer: End Times Vermintide Trailer Oct 14, 2015, 09:09 Slashman

harlock wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 12:54:
Wallshadows wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 10:26:
KilrathiAce wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 04:47:
Its not w40k but it looks like w40k shovelware cash grab.

Uh, what?

clueless moron, thats what

Unfortunately I think I have to agree. That made no sense whatsoever. What the hell is a w40k shovelware cash grab?

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Director's Cut Released
4. Re: Wasteland 2 Director's Cut Released Oct 13, 2015, 09:57 Slashman

Shineyguy wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 09:49:
I'm still not quite sure why a crowd funded game, which was a digital release would have a "Director's Cut"? Should the game release ALREADY BE the "Director's Cut"?

You build the game according to the funds you get and then after that, if it sells well enough, you add a bunch of extra things that you couldn't before based on the campaign.

Not sure how that's hard to understand.

News Comments > Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer
45. Re: On the upside Oct 9, 2015, 14:31 Slashman

ELITE wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 13:35:
On the upside these guys weren't working on the new Star Wars movie.

For some reason I'm kind of optimistic for the new Star Wars movie. I want to believe...

News Comments > Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer
9. Re: Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer Oct 9, 2015, 10:14 Slashman

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 10:10:
So they're still tweaking explosions but Squadron 42 is still coming out this year, right

It'll be in your stocking for Christmas.

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Oct 9, 2015, 09:24 Slashman

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 08:58:
It boils down to the fact that Smart has never had much merit to begin with and if any of his points did actually contain some merit they just get buried under his diatribe.

The thing is that we can look at what CIG is currently offering, what they have said, what they have done and what they have promised and still come away with some troubling questions without relying on Smart. I think that is the actual point.

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Oct 9, 2015, 08:13 Slashman

Great White Shark wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 07:43:
Roberts worst, unfinished game from 1994 is better than the combined efforts of a lifetime from dork snort. Even comparing them in the same sentence is a disservice to Roberts.

Which means what exactly? Because all that matters here is if the things that Smart is saying about SC are true or not.

So let's assume that Smart is the worst/slimiest bastard on the face of the planet and that he eats babies for his 3 squares. If he's pointing to something that looks very likely to have some merit, what does it matter apart from that?

News Comments > No Man's Sky on Late Show
37. Re: No Man's Sky on Late Show Oct 4, 2015, 22:35 Slashman

DangerDog wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 22:29:
They're a small dev team so we have to cut them some slack, right?

They're a small dev team so they should probably try to be as realistic in their goals as possible. You don't make something huge and empty and then not have the manpower or resources to fill it with interesting gameplay. If that's the case, make something smaller.

News Comments > Master of Orion Gameplay Trailer
8. Re: Master of Orion Gameplay Trailer Oct 4, 2015, 01:13 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 3, 2015, 22:09:
JohnBirshire wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 21:24:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 19:52:
I hope they don't fuck up the age old problem of auto resolve vs manual resolve... (they only showed auto-resolve, but manual is planned... which is kinda meh, I hated combat in MOO...)
I'd have to disagree, and I would think you are an overwhelming minority. It was a lot of fun designing your own ships and seeing your newly developed weapons in combat.

Yeah, but it wasn't fun to do manual combat the 742th time...

Well it sounds like GalCiv is the 4x series for you.

I'm hopeful that there are still developers who realize that gutting one aspect of their game doesn't make all the others better.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
11. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 1, 2015, 00:03 Slashman

Slick wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 23:42:
the real question here is:

"what's the last disc-based game you've bought?"

The answer is: "I can't frakkin' remember!!!"

News Comments > Cloud Imperium Games Layoff Report Follow-up
31. Re: Cloud Imperium Games Layoff Report Follow-up Sep 26, 2015, 22:45 Slashman

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 22:30:
Dirwulf wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 22:22:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 19:13:
Krovven wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 16:02:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 01:10:
I don't know David Swofford so I have no reason the doubt him but he does work for a man who is a known, documented liar.

Derek Smart is a known and documented liar. But you've picked your poison.

I have written evidence of Chris Roberts lying. I have no evidence of Derek Smart lying. So let's see your evidence. By the way speaking brutal truth isn't lying.

Derek Smart says his games are good. That is a lie.
Proof provided. Case closed.

Oddly enough I don't recall where I ever hear him say his games are good. I DO recall him saying they are not for certain people and insinuating that if you don't like them then you're not all that smart...but outright good...hmmm.

In any case...good is subjective opinion, not delivering something promised is less open to interpretation.

News Comments > Cloud Imperium Games Layoff Report Follow-up
19. Re: Cloud Imperium Games Layoff Report Follow-up Sep 26, 2015, 14:53 Slashman

Nucas wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 14:12:
JAGUART wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 23:28:
Wallshadows wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 21:10:
We're going to fire people to hire people.

This happens all the time in large companies and many small ones. They'll easily chop heads to buy new office furniture and then rehire new people six months later. They simply don't give a damn about intellectual capital.

i've seen this happen repeatedly at my own company. "sorry, we need to reduce the management payroll, we're letting 4 of you go." less than a month later, new hires brought it.

i'll never understand the american corporate mentality that sees them use people up and discard them, rather than cultivate and develop them.

Yeah that's really American because here you can't just remove someone's job position and fire them, then rehire people for that same job position you just made redundant.

Yay America I guess...

News Comments > Star Citizen Departures?
58. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 25, 2015, 15:17 Slashman

Sugarman wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 14:04:
Ha, maybe fired for leaks, but the rest of this is as usual, pure bs. CIG downsizing, not likely, the sky isn't falling, check out the funding page, if anything the sky is raining money.

It was quoted quoted before so I'll say it again, if the funding completely stopped as of today, not one more dime came in, CIG would still be able to finish Star Citizen.

And look at it this way, if it's anyone's fault that the current people got fired it's DS's fault, he just won't give up his crusade because his games are terrible, so he's trying his best to damage the one's that are successful. Hell, he'd probably have made some good progress on his current turd if he wasn't so busy creating drama.

Derek is the worst thing that has ever happened to the space game genre, hands down, not only does he produce some of the worst games out there but he's doing his best to ruin the good ones. And the gamers are the only ones who'll suffer because of it.

What are you talking about? What other games has Derek Smart gone after besides SC?

There have been plenty of space games come and gone in the time that he has been making games. The X series. Elite Dangerous. The Freespace series. The Evochron series. Which of those has he gone after because they were better or more successful than his games? Because I personally think that most of them are better than his games(IMO) but still.

My point is that you are trying to make it out that he is pursuing SC because he feels his game is inferior. It doesn't really look that way to me.

The issue at hand is that SC smells full of shady shit that makes you think you are smelling a scam of some sort.

News Comments > Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking
60. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 24, 2015, 17:53 Slashman

deqer wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 12:53:
Those voice audio files are saved and re-used millions of times. Every time that any one plays the game. That's a lot of use for the little $ that the company paid for it.

How is that different or more significant than the guy who built the UI for the game? Shouldn't he be getting those royalties as well?

News Comments > Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking
57. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 24, 2015, 08:54 Slashman

hello newman wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 05:23:
performing is also an art.
without the actors' voice and style for example Thiefs' Garret would not be Garret.
Just choose your favorite character with a voice in a video game and turn the sound off for a bit.
Or better yet just try to record yourself 5 minutes of voice-over for a game you play and listen to yourself afterwards.

Yes but are they doing more than the programming guy creating the framework for the game in the first place?

Games are a slightly different kettle of fish than a stage play or TV series. Lots of people put in more time and effort than voice actors. And honestly, games can be perfectly fine without voice overs. Great, in fact. Not so much without programmers.

Sure they may be some games that are based around the voice actor. Bastion is a great example in terms of the narrator. Not sure it should be a hard and fast rule that they get royalties across the board though.

News Comments > Age of Decadence Next Month
6. Re: Age of Decadence Next Month Sep 19, 2015, 19:41 Slashman

Ah so that's what this is? I remember these guys making long posts about how Witcher 2 wasn't an RPG and how nothing has been an RPG in forever.

Great that they are still bent on showing the rest of the world how to do things properly and what to like. Sarcasticclap

1993 Comments. 100 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo