Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1817 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast
15. Re: New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast Jul 26, 2015, 17:40 Slashman

Slick wrote on Jul 26, 2015, 17:22:
Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2015, 15:13:
Acleacius wrote on Jul 26, 2015, 14:01:
I decent, COOP is far more important than single player alone.

Lmao, this is id. It's not like they are a bastion of single player greatness. I'll just go ahead and puke now before someone tries to pretend id is a great story teller. Puke Hahaha_no

Decent? Dissent?

i think he's referring to Descent, a much better SP game than anyone from ID has ever put together

Retrovirus. How has no one heard of this???

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Victor Vran Released
27. Re: Victor Vran Released Jul 26, 2015, 10:34 Slashman

I'm thinking I'll pick this up. Grim Dawn's full release is still a ways away and I want to play it through from start to finish when it launches.  

News Comments > Smedley Leaves Daybreak
9. Re: Smedley Leaves Daybreak Jul 23, 2015, 14:08 Slashman

EQ was a really unique experience and I am pretty sure no one will ever create anything that brings that back.

Who could ever forget the trains in the Estate of Unrest? Sweatdrop

News Comments > Hearthstone Grand Tournament Expansion Next Month
11. Re: Hearthstone Grand Tournament Expansion Next Month Jul 23, 2015, 14:03 Slashman

descender wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 10:37:
The only way Hearthstone could ever be "pay to win" is if they let you buy mana boosts or cards no one else has free access to, which is not the case. "Pay to not spend 1000 hours earning gold for packs of cards" is very different. All you can buy is convenience, you can't even purchase the specific cards you want directly.

The thing is that spending real money will still get you a very real advantage. Especially versus a guy who isn't spending, who has only started recently. I'm not saying it is a guaranteed win every time as skill and luck still play a big part, but most of the time, the cards from expansions are superior to what came before.

Obviously they have to support the game and server costs so I can't really say that it is a grossly unfair system versus some other games, but I also don't pretend that someone who comes along and drops a few hundred dollars on all the expansions and 20 or so packs of cards is not going to be in a vastly better place than someone who has only been playing and not spending for a month or 2.

On a side note, I really like that the new Tavern Brawl gets you at least one pack of cards a week with no money spent. It's also a lot of fun.

News Comments > Hearthstone Grand Tournament Expansion Next Month
7. Re: Hearthstone Grand Tournament Expansion Next Month Jul 23, 2015, 08:54 Slashman

Luke wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 08:15:
As always Lazy people will always Buy to Win

That's what the entire business model is based off of. There is no surprise here.

I never spent (nor intend to spend) a cent on Hearthstone. People with the 'gotta catch them all' mentality will.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Free DLC
40. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 22:23 Slashman

Ludomancer wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 21:55:
I love the voice actors in this series. Witcher 3 has an unheard of amount of consistency between sequels. When it comes to terrible voice acting examples, I still love this exchange from the first game:

Grandmother: "You're drunk!!"
Drunken Geralt: "Not truuuuuuueeee......."

LOL! I remember that!

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Free DLC
5. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 09:26 Slashman

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 09:16:

Publishers are getting greedy.

This would make sense if this game had a publisher apart from the actual developer. It doesn't.

Also, this is one of the few games that I think is actually worth the high price. Whereas many of the higher priced games do not give you even close to the same value.

Tell me the last AAA game you saw that gave away 15 free DLC packs. Or even had significant patching a month or two past release that added more options and features.

News Comments > Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts
25. Re: Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts Jul 19, 2015, 18:33 Slashman

ViRGE wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 17:43:
Ant wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 13:08:
What happens to previous EA accounts with the same e-mail addresses?
I don't think there are any other accounts, are there? There's just Origin accounts as far as I'm aware.

Slick wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 17:17:
now they're going back to EA whatever... why?
Maybe they're getting away from selling 3rd party software? At one time they wanted to be a Steam competitor, but this certainly makes it sound like they want to go completely vertical now.

I don't think they've been very successful with the 3rd party sales. Which is kind of why Origin is so nonsensical.

At least Ubisoft has the sense to not limit its sale of games from Steam.

News Comments > Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts
7. Re: Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts Jul 19, 2015, 13:20 Slashman

So is Origin going to be called EA something then?

I'm a bit confuzzled... Confused

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC
7. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC Jul 19, 2015, 11:42 Slashman

Are the performance improvements in the patches actually making it perform better on lower spec hardware as well? I'm curious about that.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
46. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 18, 2015, 21:25 Slashman

walrus1 wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 16:57:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 23:22:
Basically confirms that skills have been replaced with perks, ala Skyrim. That, coupled with the 4-option dialogue wheel and voiced protagonist, probably means that skill checks are a thing of the past. Disappointing but probably not that great of a loss considering how awful they were in FO3. Really wish Obsidian was making this instead of Bethesda.
My thoughts exactly. I know everyone is comparing this to F3 but I'm comparing it NV and boy is it lacking. Exploration seems curtailed, the dialogue looks crappy, skills seem nerfed, and you seem to be able to kill anything is seconds with the power armor. I'm not optimistic about this one.

You do know that they doctor gameplay for demo purposes right? Like when everyone was complaining that incoming aliens in Xcom 2 were getting free attacks. Except that was just for the demo video.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
37. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 18, 2015, 09:23 Slashman

Lorcin wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 05:54:
Rattlehead wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 21:02:

You're either blind or trolling if you think this looks worse than Fallout 3 with a few mods. Also, you have no idea about the plots, characters, dungeons, surprises or anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJk75wxAF7Q

You think that's better? They replaced a dead land with lush greenery. They replaced some textures and made things that are supposed to look ancient look like they just came off an assembly line.

Still no exterior shadows.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Trailer
12. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Trailer Jul 18, 2015, 09:01 Slashman

Keilun wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 00:53:
Vall Forran wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 20:27:
Rome 2 was so horrible that I cannot fathom spending money on this game for a long, long time.

I've tried both Medieval 2, Napoleon and Shogun 2 and each time I played it, I didn't enjoy it. I think a lot of it was that I ran into a lot of bugs especially in Shogun 2. But the games get glowing reviews so there's clearly another audience out there that this is catered to and maybe I just don't fit into that category.

I do like Warhammer though. Too bad it's in a TW game.

You ran into bugs in Shogun 2? I'd have to say my experience has been almost the exact opposite. Maybe because I started playing after they had patched it up but I never found many bugs. Definitely none game-breaking for sure.

The most I can complain about is an occaisional crash to desktop...but that was so rare as to be not a thing. Inquisitive

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2015, 21:26.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Trailer
7. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Trailer Jul 17, 2015, 23:44 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 22:44:
verybad1 wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 21:19:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 20:55:
ok ok.. empire and orcs.. what about chaos, undead and eldar.. ehm.. Elves ?

DLC. obviously.

First one is supposed to have Empire, Dwarves, Orcs, and the Vampire Nation (so undead) though.

You know what I REALLY want? A proper WH40k RPG alá Mass Effect... sigh.

I thought someone was making one called Inquisitor - Martyr or something like that.

News Comments > Satellite Reign Next Month
9. Re: Satellite Reign Next Month Jul 12, 2015, 22:13 Slashman

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 21:13:
Slashman wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 17:51:
I don't mind supporting a dev who follows through and releases a good game from EA. Too many games stuck in EA forever.

EA has only existed as a Steam concept for 28 months... You make it sound like we're dealing in dog years or something. Learn some patience.

You mean have patience for games like Starforge? It's not like the devs abandoned it and made Reign of Kings or anything...oh wait!

Or how about Planet Explorers. In early access alpha even before it went on Steam.

Do some checking around for the number of EA games that haven't even been getting regular updates. That's apart from the games that were just plain scamming.

I don't hate early access as a whole, but it is way too easy for developers to throw some junk up and then abandon it when they realize they don't have talent or resources to finish it with no downsides to them.

News Comments > Satellite Reign Next Month
5. Re: Satellite Reign Next Month Jul 12, 2015, 17:51 Slashman

I've been keeping my eye on this for a while. If it's solid at release I'll definitely pick it up.

I don't mind supporting a dev who follows through and releases a good game from EA. Too many games stuck in EA forever.

News Comments > Op Ed
50. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2015, 12:12 Slashman

PHJF wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 10:38:
I bought Elite on Friday and yesterday encountered a Wanted pilot named Chris Roberts.

Needless to say, I vaporized his ass.

Laugh2 Cheers

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Jul 11, 2015, 19:43 Slashman

I honestly just wanted a new Wing Commander type game to play through.

I think a lot of people wanted that. All of a sudden, feature after feature got added until a multiplayer capable persistent world became a full blown multi-genre MMO. But hey, there was no feature creep right? We know because they told us in their last PR blog post.

Mixing genres is freaking hard enough to do in linear, single player games. When you add an MMO on top of that, what kind of realistic expectations for a smooth ride can you really hope for?

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Map Pack DLC & Mod Support
13. Re: Into the Black Jul 11, 2015, 09:43 Slashman

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 21:20:
Slashman wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 18:25:
But I will give kudos to Stardock for creating a game framework so mundanely number based and by-the-books that making better AI for it was much easier. All they needed to do was sacrifice interesting combat and races to do it. Yay I guess...

Just in case people come in here thinking it's a game universally thought to be boring, it isn't.

Still not sure why you are making combat comparisons between a turn based game and a real time game.

Try carefully reading again. I compared the exploration aspect of two 4x games. I never compared the combat. But while we're at it, Endless Space is a turn based game and has better combat. At least being somewhat interactive and allowing you some basic decisions at the point of engagement. Not perfect, but I at least can respect it.

But hey, it sure does cut down dev time and costs to have crappy, non-interactive combat. And that new and awesome 'combat viewer' surely makes all the difference. Woohoo

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Map Pack DLC & Mod Support
11. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Map Pack DLC & Mod Support Jul 10, 2015, 18:25 Slashman

verybad1 wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 16:47:
Would have to agree with this. I like space 4x games and while GalCiv has some interesting features (well spaceship design at least) It wasn't a game that kept me playing for very long. It seemed very repetitive.

I just didn't enjoy it enough to play more than about 15 hours or so.

It is extremely repetitive. And the races were very similar. It just wasn't something that made me want to keep going.

Mostly people talk about how great the AI was. And I guess it was pretty decent. But decent AI in a boring game is still going to make for a boring game.

There was no wow factor of any kind with GalCiv 2. It was research laser 1...then laser 2. Better.

But I will give kudos to Stardock for creating a game framework so mundanely number based and by-the-books that making better AI for it was much easier. All they needed to do was sacrifice interesting combat and races to do it. Yay I guess...

1817 Comments. 91 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo