Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1682 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gone Gold - Dungeons 2; Specs Released
3. Re: Gone Gold - Dungeons 2; Specs Released Mar 25, 2015, 15:27 Slashman

ItBurn wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 11:23:
To me, if there's no first person view, there's not much interest.

Ummm. OK. Dizzy

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dungeons 2 Pre-Purchases
5. Re: Dungeons 2 Pre-Purchases Mar 24, 2015, 15:01 Slashman

El Presidente's work is never done.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed
79. Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 23, 2015, 10:35 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 00:02:
saluk wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 15:48:
Got to love the community at blues that in a report that contains such hyperbole as "most exciting and overwhelming experiences I have experienced in my 33 years gaming life" that everyone jumps on "controller felt superior to playing with a mouse".

Don't y'all ever tire of being so predictable?

Well why are you here if hate PC games and PC gamers so much? Plenty of console sites out there. So bye!

Exactly my thoughts. Why hang around a place you find so predictably bad? Why even bother to comment?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 22, 2015, 14:18 Slashman

[VG]Reagle wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 13:36:
City building games are so lame. Call me when you can kill all the people and add nuclear weapons. Its right up there with the Sims.

Anno 2070 kind of fills this niche. Lots of war ships and nuclear subs even. I'm actually playing it right now.

70. Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 22, 2015, 14:06 Slashman

harlock wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 13:02:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 11:34:
I don't know, could it be that people enjoy a better experience using the keyboard mouse? Button mashing with the controller gets old fast IMO and if directional buttons come into play, good luck with that.

theres quite a difference between having a simple preference, and the frantic display in the comments below - thats what im talking about.. the same as Jeryk - the freak outs

i dont care what controls you prefer.. thats not the issue - its the outbursts and "FUCKING CONSOLES!!!" bullshit... its retarded

thats my opinion, so it should please you to see it

You seem to be the one having more problems and outbursts than anyone else. Just as some people like some things, people also dislike some things. Sometmes those things are consoles and gamepads. If they don't want to buy a game because it is 'best played' with those things', why are you upset about it? If they miss out, they miss out. They can always relent and buy it later.

Forums are for people to state opinions and debate them. If you disagree with something, maybe you should just take a leaf from Jeryk's book like you noted, and present a decent counter argument.

49. Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 21, 2015, 19:36 Slashman

"Feels better with a gamepad" is just perception. Very few games, fighting or not, feel better with a gamepad to me on the PC. Other people may have different views on that.

Now if the game actually makes gameplay suffer for not using one controller over another, that is entirely different. That is something that needs addressing. TW2 did not do this. There is no combat scenario in the game(and I played it on hard from the start), that ever made me think it would be better with a gamepad. Most of that is just perception.

Unless they have gone backwards from TW2, then this guy is just stating an opinion. One that may be coloured by his console preferences.

34. Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 21, 2015, 13:58 Slashman

If controls are done properly, then they are done properly.

I'm not one of the people who think the Arkham games are better with a controller. The fact that I have better combat scores than several of my friends who play on console in that game means that there is nothing wrong with the M/KB controls for Arkham. Being able to move the camera independently (and precisely) of my character is a huge plus from me in a 3rd person game because I can see more of the battlefield easily.

If the controls are at least comparable to the second Witcher game, then I'm not worried.

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie Trailer
13. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Trailer Mar 19, 2015, 21:08 Slashman

Multiplayer only though so meh...  

News Comments > Descent: Underground Single-Player Details
13. Re: Descent: Underground Single-Player Details Mar 15, 2015, 19:27 Slashman

Most games have either SP or MP as the most played aspect. Rarely are they ever equal.

MP is great but has a ton of downsides. Is your net connection good? Are you good enough to play and not get thrashed all the time, thus making you not want to play anymore?

SP is all about being able to take your time and enjoy a game at your own leisure.

I have no idea how many people actually want to play a game like this in multiplayer. And it seems like the devs don't either. That's the key. More than likely, 6DOF shooters are not quite that popular (nostalgia aside).

News Comments > Fighting Cities: Skylines Piracy with Customer Support
19. Re: Fighting Cities: Skylines Piracy with Customer Support Mar 15, 2015, 00:09 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 23:00:
Warskull wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 21:29:
ASeven wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 15:12:
And this is how you fight piracy. No mandatory online shit, no DRM shit, just provide a great service and people will have incentive to buy it.

Not that EA or Ubisoft will ever understand this.

It is surprisingly effective too. Tell people you pirate The Witcher and they will call you a number of names. There is a social pressure to not pirate games from good companies.

I wonder if that's true outside of Europe/USA.

It isn't, and that is where the majority of piracy takes place.

There are economic factors as well as supply factors. Region blocking/locking also play a role.

Essentially, not pirating is much more attractive in the US than it is in the Czech Republic and Croatia. The choice between paying for entertainment or eating is not really weighted in favour of the gaming company.

News Comments > Fighting Cities: Skylines Piracy with Customer Support
15. Re: Fighting Cities: Skylines Piracy with Customer Support Mar 14, 2015, 20:47 Slashman

A lot of that stuff listed against STeam isn't Steam's doing.

Region locks and region pricing are to do with local laws and publishers/developers setting prices for their games. It doesn't only happen on Steam. Origin does the same crap, if not worse.

The DRM aspect of Steam is entirely optional to a developer. Gratuitous Space Battles can run without the Steam client even if you buy it on Steam. Most games have the ability to do this. That is up to the developer.

The customer service I can agree with. That needs a lot of work.

News Comments > X Rebirth Patch & Linux Alpha
10. Re: X Rebirth Patch & Linux Alpha Mar 13, 2015, 12:20 Slashman

The main problem is that the people who love the new style REALLY love it. And they see it as a big improvement over the past games.

If you are a strict empire builder type, it does have more to offer in terms of building stations and cap ships. It also emphasizes large-scale trade. So freighter-level ships for that or nothing. The downside is that the process is slow as hell.

If you're looking for combat gameplay, the AI is just as idiotic if not more so than X3. They just disabled collision damage so that the idiocy doesn't equal auto suicide now. The Skunk is the only combat ship you can fly and it is very limited compared to the more capable cap ships. The problem is, again, the AI is dumb so your long-range type cap ships won't stay at long range and shoot and your carrier type cap ships won't depend on their drones...they deploy the same number as other ships. Add to that that carriers can't actually carry fighters(though fighters are in the game). YMMV

If you're into exploration, there's crates to scan and shoot the locks off of in space. Boarding is a bit more fleshed out now, but since you can't fly cap ships or properly command them or your other ships from the bridge of one, getting a new cap ship isn't likely to be all that exciting.

Nothing was done to the horrible character models and voice overs in the game since launch. Walking around stations is still pretty much a pointless waste of developer resources. A whole year's worth if taken at Egosoft's word.

The main complaints that people still have about the game are:

1) Highly inadequate asset control with many hoops to jump through to tell your ships to do basic things. When you own large fleets, the headaches multiply exponentially

2) The automation aspects of the game that should take of this are still terrible.

3) No endgame content and none in sight. Building a huge empire has no purpose.

4) Single, ugly ship with limited upgrade options and no cosmetic customization. But hey at least it's 'unique'. Oh and comes complete with highly annoying and useless female co-pilot (complete with a skintight outfit and boob-window in said outfit).

5) Nothing to really push it past the greatness achieved by X3:Albion Prelude with the XRM mod installed. Yay for seven years of development I guess.

News Comments > Steam Gift Restrictions Tighten
31. Re: Steam Gift Restrictions Tighten Mar 12, 2015, 18:06 Slashman

Valve doesn't choose to region restrict games.

It follows the directive of the game owner. That goes for pricing too.

It is right there in the Valve rules for Steam and the developers/publishers who use it. The most Steam can do is suggest to a company that they change pricing or region policy. It does not, and cannot, force any game creator/owner to comply.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Cities: Skylines
16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Cities: Skylines Mar 11, 2015, 08:24 Slashman

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 01:44:
I'd give it a week to see what warts are found as the people get deeper into it.

Bugs are going to be inevitable, as they are for all games. But I don't think there will be anything huge or game breaking.

This is likely the city builder we've all waited for.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Cities: Skylines
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Cities: Skylines Mar 10, 2015, 20:24 Slashman

Word is the max size area you can build is 36 km. This is versus the hefty 2km limit of EA's Sim City. Don't you just love EA and Maxis?  

News Comments > Another Total War: WARHAMMER Clue?
5. Re: Another Total War: WARHAMMER Clue? Mar 10, 2015, 20:16 Slashman

Really wish it was 40k instead.

"Only in death does duty end!"

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Mar 10, 2015, 15:09 Slashman

The problem comes down to volume. Any attempt to tighten up on the quality of the approval process will inevitably lead to a slower approval process.

I don't think even the most enthusiastic gamer would want to sit and go through title after crappy title to pick the diamonds out of the mud.

At least with Steam Greenlight, no one can say that people didnt get what they voted for. Even if that turns out to not be what they exactly wanted.

News Comments > On Sale
17. Re: On Sale Mar 6, 2015, 11:14 Slashman

My new favourite tower defense game is Deathtrap!  

News Comments > Source 2 Games Must Use Steam
45. Re: Source 2 Games Must Use Steam Mar 6, 2015, 07:37 Slashman

Armengar wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 07:05:
Slashman wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 23:59:
For large, AAA titles it makes sense to want to sell it on your own service if you're a large publisher. The majority of games on Steam aren't from large publishers. And unless you think every game developer should create their own digital distribution service, complete with high level tools for stat tracking, updating and online bug tracking of all their own games, you have no point.

Not true, there are plenty of AAA titles on steam, look at total war franchise, GTA, CoD etc. Even Ubisoft sell on steam.

Did you actually read what I posted? I said it would makes sense for a large AAA publisher to WANT to sell on their own service. That would depend on them actually having a service in the first place. It would also depend on if they minded sharing profits with Valve from DLCs as well as main sales. Since I believe that is what started the whole EA title pull from Steam in the first place.

Yes, there are a lot of AAA titles on Steam. Are the majority of games on Steam AAA? I think the answer there is no. Indie games and games from smaller developers heavily outnumber the AAA titles on Steam.

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Mar 6, 2015, 07:28 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 02:33:
That's the whole you-only-get-one-spaceship-and-you-can't-change-it thing?

Yes that is it. And it's an ugly as hell spaceship complete with an annoying as hell co-pilot with a personality so grating, you want to throw her out the airlock. Which would actually do nothing to the game as she can't even fly the damn ship if you switch to VR mode to control a remote drone.

X-Rebirth. Tossing out everything that came before and replacing it with meh...

1682 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo