Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1737 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 May 25, 2015, 01:25 Slashman

I don't think people realize just how diverse the PC gaming audience is.

PC gamers are much more prone to fall into genre locks than console players. There are much fewer games which every PC gamer has to play than is the case for console.

There are people who only play turn-based 4x games(and those further subdivided), people who only play sims, people who only play racing games, people who only play historic grand strategy games. Or at the very least many people who only spend day 1 money on those genres. Console gamers tend to embrace multiple genres of games more easily and readily.

Every now and there there will be a Skyrim or Total War which will grab whole swatches of PC gamers, but that's not the norm, it's the exception.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dark Future: Blood Red States Announced
4. Re: Dark Future: Blood Red States Announced May 23, 2015, 21:15 Slashman

Not impressive...  

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong Trailer; Shadowrun Sale
13. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Trailer; Shadowrun Sale May 23, 2015, 09:06 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on May 23, 2015, 04:26:
I guess we just have different priorities. For me, combat animations are pretty much at the bottom of the list when it comes to RPGs. Things like quest design, skill checks, dialogue, customization, story, etc, are all much more important to me and Dragonfall handled all those things very well.

They wouldn't be that high on my list if they didn't jarringly make a character that I created seem so much the opposite of what he/she is supposed to be. If I was playing a wizard or decker, I would likely not care, because they use other means of fighting.

If I create a martial artist, it is especially annoying to me to see that character look like something else entirely in combat. The animations aren't passable, they are downright laughable. Who holds a katana like that? What type of hinges would your joints be attached to to kick or punch effectively like that? It looks really bad. It breaks my immersion.

8. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Trailer; Shadowrun Sale May 22, 2015, 11:03 Slashman

Task wrote on May 22, 2015, 09:12:
Yes we have seen the animations. Just use your imagination like when playing pen and paper ;).

I don't do PnP. Never have. I play PC games because they offer the visuals in addition to the other mechanics. If they fall short there, then I could just as well play PnP and forget the PC.

6. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Trailer; Shadowrun Sale May 22, 2015, 08:50 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on May 21, 2015, 23:13:
Slashman wrote on May 21, 2015, 19:46:
Unless there is marked improvement in the melee combat animations, I'm skipping. I don't want to play a martial artist who kicks and punches like an 84 year old granny with acute rheumatoid arthritis. Wall

...really? That's the dumbest reason I've ever heard for skipping an RPG, especially an isometric one.

How is a reason that kills my immersion dumb? If I choose to play a certain character and that character fails to convince me that they are what the description says, then it pisses me off. Have you actually looked closely at the animations for the sword and unarmed combat in the game?

3. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Trailer; Shadowrun Sale May 21, 2015, 19:46 Slashman

Unless there is marked improvement in the melee combat animations, I'm skipping. I don't want to play a martial artist who kicks and punches like an 84 year old granny with acute rheumatoid arthritis. Wall  

News Comments > CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades
58. Re: CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades May 21, 2015, 17:35 Slashman

Well I remember when X Rebirth came out and there were (and still are) people on their forums saying that everyone else is crazy for not expecting the game to be shit at release and fixed up later with patches. And furthermore, no one should have believed the pre-release advertising anyway. But it's a great game!

Now Witcher 3 is obviously a great game, downgraded graphics or not, but that doesn't make it right for CDPR to lie and then switch up stories conveniently when they are caught.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patched
21. Re: The Witcher 3 Patched May 21, 2015, 15:06 Slashman

Soooo...I'll just be waiting for more patching and stuff before I buy. Too much stuff to play right now anyway.

Maybe the enhanced version will hit before I actually get around to this.

News Comments > CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades
10. Re: CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades May 21, 2015, 09:38 Slashman

No one is questioning their long term support for their games or how well they treat their customers.

That still doesn't make it alright to say in one interview that all you did was 'optimization' and then a few weeks later come out with a different story. Even if that different story is the truth this time.

The reason people are harder on you than other developers, is because you've shown yourself to be capable and willing to operate at a higher standard. If you had come out and said this before, no one would have solid grounds to complain.

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Game Reviews May 17, 2015, 12:36 Slashman

Combat has always been my biggest gripe with Gal Civ games and GC3 isn't that much better than it's predecessor in that regard.

I will never understand the weird viewpoint of some of the Gal Civ die hards that somehow better combat will infringe on the game and somehow make it less enjoyable.

It certainly is better to have bad combat from Stardock's POV, it's way cheaper from a dev standpoint to do that than to do something interesting like real time combat. And three weapon types only sure is easier as well. Rock paper scissors and all that.

News Comments > Space Rogue Early Access
4. Re: Space Rogue Early Access May 15, 2015, 16:30 Slashman

Funny, I thought Space Rogue was this.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule
63. Re: The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule May 12, 2015, 15:33 Slashman

I'm tottering on the edge of 'do I get it now' or 'do I wait'?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 May 11, 2015, 09:13 Slashman

I might hold off on Witcher 3.

I still haven't finished my second playthrough of Witcher 2 yet and I honestly have way too many games on my plate right now.

I need some kind of gaming chamber that sits outside of the normal space-time continuum. Then I can just binge for a few days of non-stop gaming while only having had maybe an hour pass in the real world. Pouting

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Steam Keys For All Players Coming
27. Re: Elite: Dangerous Steam Keys For All Players Coming May 10, 2015, 09:34 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on May 10, 2015, 02:21:
Alamar wrote on May 9, 2015, 19:15:
Was just checking this game out earlier... Played some Strike Suit Zero, but the crashes are making me want to say 'fuck it'... Also realized my Origin acct has a few Wing Commanders, so I may give that a whirl...

Don't much care for Elite's current price, so was thinking about looking for alternatives, but now I can't pick up a key (on ebay or wherever), as I can't be sure it's not one linked to this announcement... The extra key isn't meant for extra people; just convenience... But they'll be sold... A lot...

There are a couple of free versions of Elite out there:

Pioneer

and

Oolite

I checked those out a while back but I'd have to say that Evochron Mercenary is a better Elite alternative than any of them. Apart from them being free of course.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Steam Keys For All Players Coming
17. Re: Elite: Dangerous Steam Keys For All Players Coming May 9, 2015, 11:14 Slashman

Quboid wrote on May 9, 2015, 08:58:
jacobvandy wrote on May 9, 2015, 04:47:
Well, Steam is getting their cut from copies sold through them. And I'm sure they'd rather have people using Steam to access their game than not. It's pretty well-known among indie devs that free keys is a solid perk they offer compared to other services that may charge you a fee and/or have a limit on how many free ones you get. They don't charge for activation of Steamworks games sold through retail or other digital stores, either. They serve dozens of petabytes of data per week... All 300+ thousand of those pre-Steam Elite players would have to download the game at once to even make a blip. This is how they grow the user base; eating some bandwidth costs here and there is more than made up for by attracting more people that will stick around and buy stuff, etc.

Do you have a source for this? It makes sense as Valve are clearly determined to get people on to their service but I'd like to know for sure. I'd be very surprised if Frontier are paying Valve the full 30%.

It's a weird thing, but most people assume things about Steam and Valve without actually going to the Steam page for developers and reading what they offer. Steam really seems to be the best game in town when it comes to pricing and all the perks that devs get for free from them.

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer
5. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer May 7, 2015, 13:39 Slashman

Raptor wrote on May 7, 2015, 13:23:
I suppose this is a perfectly appropriate time to have a boner right?

Permission granted!!!!

News Comments > EverQuest Emulator Legal
20. Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 6, 2015, 12:15 Slashman

The EVE crowd are not your typical MMO crowd though. They would be closer to the competitive multiplayer crowd, except that they generally have more patience.

For a game like the original EQ, there were a number of different factors that contributed to what made it so appealing. There was nothing else like it at the time is the first thing.

The difficulty and setup of the game game world meant that soloing was extremely unprofitable. It didn't just encourage group play, it demanded it.

At the time, social networking was nowhere near as popular as it is today (if you could even say it existed apart from MSN Messenger and ICQ in the mainstream). EQ combined social networking with a vast open world and stuff for you to do with the people you were chatting to.

Finally, the spontaneous and unforseen situations which could happen in that kind of environment are impossible to create in today's MMOs, precisely because they are all so much about hand-holding and theme parking. Anyone who remembers the infamous trains in the Estate of Unrest would get what I'm talking about.

The modern MMO is so much about tightly controlling the player experience, that there is no way to revisit those days.

As a consequence, even the new ones which come out and claim to be about recapturing that same magic, can't do it. It wasn't just a matter of harsh gameplay that demanded grouping, it was about the unfettered nature of the game world and how that allowed so many awesome moments to happen naturally.

News Comments > EverQuest Emulator Legal
14. Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 5, 2015, 17:33 Slashman

harlock wrote on May 5, 2015, 16:40:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 5, 2015, 16:37:
All these other video games are crazy boring because there's no risk.

retarded argument since you can easily customize how much "risk" you take during gaming with saves, difficulty, rogue-likes, etc.

but of course, it does require some creative thought and self-control... things which i doubt the MMO crowd has in abundance

When that risk is entirely under your control as a player, it is absolutely not even close to the same thing.

News Comments > Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Released
11. Re: Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Released Apr 29, 2015, 14:32 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 12:33:
It isn't an RPG. It's pure combat. It has more in common with XCOM than Shadowrun Returns or Dragonfall.

But does it have an actual story and overarching narrative? Or is it just random missions?

Do you level up your runners and buy gear for them etc?

I don't mind the format. Just would rather it not be random generated/generic missions.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Gameplay Trailer
34. Re: Just Cause 3 Gameplay Trailer Apr 29, 2015, 08:34 Slashman

harlock wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 07:55:
Krovven wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 00:55:
Reactor wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 21:20:
Krovven wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 17:38:
I just hope that the mouse control is better and snap-to-aim isn't a requirement. I ended up using the gamepad to play this because I couldn't stand that the crosshair would snap to chests when I was aiming at heads, using the mouse.

I'm not 100% sure, but couldn't you turn that off?

If there was I missed it. I forget what the options were. All I know is after experimenting with both I went with gamepad.

of course you can turn it off... but some people just want to bitch

Bitching about controllers is now the in thing. I still find people who say Arkham games are easier with a controller to be pretty funny.

1737 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo