Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1569 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released
24. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released Oct 24, 2014, 15:06 Slashman

Fion wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 14:42:
Have you heard about the Long War mod? It's the most popular XCom: EU/EW mod that ups the difficulty, choices and really puts that classic feel into the game. I suggest you check it out.

I'm sorry, but beating EW on classic/ironman almost ended me. Why would I want to UP that difficulty?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released
15. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released Oct 24, 2014, 14:33 Slashman

Sticking to Endless Legend for now.  

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
6. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 15:42 Slashman

Prez wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 15:40:
Are you guys trying to start a flame war or what?

Guess it's a slow Monday...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
30. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 13, 2014, 12:20 Slashman

Quinn wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 11:20:
Slashman wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 11:11:
harlock wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 10:03:
Slashman wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 09:34:
InBlack wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 02:35:
Yeah gotta say the game is growing on me...the mechanics are simplistic and repetetive but there is fun to be had in the game once you start doing more of the side missions and just plain run around wreaking havoc.

Same here. Just got started and my only difficulty is finding out how to properly interrogate a worm. I keep accidentally killing them instead. It's a bit frustrating. Haven't done any of the main story missions...still running around the map.

you can grab a worm whenever, you dont have to beat them down

So I hit the grab button first then hit the interrogate button right? I could have sworn that the last time I did that, he threw me off. I'll give it another try when I get home.

You have to make sure you HOLD the grab button and not tap it. Once you hold the button and you hold the Uruk in a locked grip, you can choose to stab him, drain him or interrogate him. Letting go of the grab button throws the Uruk away.

Now I know what happened and why I threw the last one off the cliff. Dunce

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 13, 2014, 11:11 Slashman

harlock wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 10:03:
Slashman wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 09:34:
Yeah gotta say the game is growing on me...the mechanics are simplistic and repetetive but there is fun to be had in the game once you start doing more of the side missions and just plain run around wreaking havoc.

Same here. Just got started and my only difficulty is finding out how to properly interrogate a worm. I keep accidentally killing them instead. It's a bit frustrating. Haven't done any of the main story missions...still running around the map.

you can grab a worm whenever, you dont have to beat them down

So I hit the grab button first then hit the interrogate button right? I could have sworn that the last time I did that, he threw me off. I'll give it another try when I get home.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 13, 2014, 09:34 Slashman

News Comments > Star Citizen at $56M; CitizenCon Friday
32. Re: Star Citizen at $56M; CitizenCon Friday Oct 8, 2014, 12:42 Slashman

Prez wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 10:33:
On the subject of Elite Dangerous, will I be able to play singleplayer, or at least host my own private server?

That's about all I want from ED. Not really interested in the multiplayer aspect so I hope the single player is not gimped in any way.

News Comments > Space Rogue Announced
5. Re: Space Rogue Announced Oct 7, 2014, 20:29 Slashman

Isn't Space Rogue a game by Paul Neurath and Origin back before Wing Commander?

Remember playing it on my C64.

News Comments > Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations
16. Re: Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations Oct 7, 2014, 20:20 Slashman

Ravor wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 20:09:
The game is decent, but mot spectacular.

My issues after 20 hours:
-Very repetitive Gameplay
-Very linear skill progression (unable to unlock skills before attaining a certain amount of power is absolutely stupid)

Story is good.
Graphics are good.
Stealth Gameplay is good.

I'd give it a 7/10.

Apparently that wasn't good enough for WB.

News Comments > Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations
10. Re: Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations Oct 7, 2014, 19:46 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 19:34:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 18:54:
Wow, rather surprised WB would go this route, as the game is pretty solid on it's own and with Batman Arkham Knights right around the corner.

Why surprised? Arkham City was a cluster fuck, so they obviously want micromanagement all over this in the event it was more of the same.

I don't have a problem with demanding this sort of thing...so long as every reviewer makes it known - in very clear terms like the summation here - what it is that's being asked of them. Then people don't have to waste their time and go see real reviews somewhere else.

Think you mean Arkham Origins.

News Comments > Project Spark Released
3. Re: Project Spark Released Oct 7, 2014, 11:57 Slashman

Omni wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 09:12:
"MS wants to sell more windows 8" would be a more fitting headline.

I thought it was dead and buried and that Windows 10 was the new golden goose.

News Comments > Game Reviews
10. Re: Game Reviews Oct 6, 2014, 10:27 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 02:56:
Slashman wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 19:26:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 16:36:
I enjoy reading reviews from that perspective. It adds a flavor you don't see elsewhere, and he's small enough not to have been coopted like the bigger ones.

Having a blast with DG2, BTW. It's still DG, but there are several new features which changing things up a lot. It's much more tactical. You can't just pack the towers in like before. You have to think more about how and where and why to place towers. Highly recommended.

I like DG 2 as well. My real problem is that #%^*%! Creston and his stupid-high scores! I'm still trying to beat each of them in the campaign levels. It's like he has dev-level knowledge or something. CRESTOOOON!!!!!!!! Furious2

How does that work exactly? Just whoever is in your Steam friends list?

Pretty much. If you're friends on Steam and both own the game then when you start a level, you see a comparison of scores and also when you finish the level a side-by-side comparison of your stats. You can change it so you only get compared to your own high scores though. But I've sworn to beat Creston on every level.

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Oct 5, 2014, 19:26 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 16:36:
I enjoy reading reviews from that perspective. It adds a flavor you don't see elsewhere, and he's small enough not to have been coopted like the bigger ones.

Having a blast with DG2, BTW. It's still DG, but there are several new features which changing things up a lot. It's much more tactical. You can't just pack the towers in like before. You have to think more about how and where and why to place towers. Highly recommended.

I like DG 2 as well. My real problem is that #%^*%! Creston and his stupid-high scores! I'm still trying to beat each of them in the campaign levels. It's like he has dev-level knowledge or something. CRESTOOOON!!!!!!!! Furious2

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 Launches
11. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 Launches Oct 3, 2014, 22:17 Slashman

Tom wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 21:55:
Before beta 2 I was a bit discouraged with the VR experience. After trying 2.0x, I feel a lot better about the future. Visual quality is greatly improved. Performance is greatly improved. Judder is all but eliminated. The galaxy map is usable - still not registering mouse input properly but at least it doesn't crash the game now. The game feels good enough in VR now that I don't expect to ever play it on a monitor again, unless I experience a hardware failure or something. And things are only going to get better.

I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying this will be a killer app for VR. The gameplay, while far more forgiving than the original Elite, is still too difficult and open-ended to get the kind of mainstream exposure one typically associates with a killer app. But it will certainly achieve a great deal of success.

You are wise to wait. I couldn't. For me it was just too long without a good space sim, too much love for the genre, and too little willpower to stay away.

WEAKLING!!!!!

News Comments > X-Rebirth DLC Free to Preorder
29. Re: X-Rebirth DLC Free to Preorder Sep 29, 2014, 20:13 Slashman

harlock wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 14:47:
Slashman wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 09:11:
They quoted 'GTA in space' as how they wanted to make the gameplay.

GTA in space? Seriously?

GTA in space is totally possible, personally i think it would be super awesome

but the x series is not even close to it

That was my point. Nothing in the X series is, or has ever been, close to that.

25. Re: X-Rebirth DLC Free to Preorder Sep 29, 2014, 09:11 Slashman

InBlack wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 06:15:
Kajetan wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 05:53:
Rebirth was a nearly dead project, because Egosoft couldnt get it right after years of developement and the rescue operations by Koch Media ruined the game finally for good. This game is BROKEN by design.

Nobody releases a broken product by design. I agree that it was released as a broken and flawed product, and that many design attributes plainly just dont work. But thats incompetence, not intent.

I'm thinking that what Kajetan meant was that they made bad design decisions. Several of those decisions were told to the community and they were questioned but ignored, because in Egosoft's own words: "The community may not like it but we're making a game to appeal to a wider audience."

They wanted to make the 'casual gamer's X'. The problem is that this type of game cannot really exist. X is complex not just by design, but to a great extent by necessity. It combines a combat space flight sim, with trading, station/empire building, exploration(kind of not implemented in Rebirth) and mission based gameplay. You can't really 'simplify' that forumla past a certain point. People are going to have fleets of ships under their command that need to be managed and controlled. They are going to want fine control over how their stations produce and trade wares.

The point is that there is no 'casual X audience'. I don't know who or what they were trying to appeal to but their pre-release vids pained an extremely misleading picture of the game. They quoted 'GTA in space' as how they wanted to make the gameplay.

GTA in space? Seriously?

12. Re: X-Rebirth DLC Free to Preorder Sep 28, 2014, 20:46 Slashman

As a developer, you should not nurture a pattern in your studio where you release an unfinished game and then take a year or more to get it into a playable and decent state.

OK, you did it once and then again. Does it really mean you need to go for a hat-trick? How can anyone be proud to manage a dev studio like this?

Not to mention the stuff that will never get fixed like the horrible character models, less than grade-school level voice acting and the useless co-pilot who can't actually DO anything.

6. Re: X-Rebirth DLC Free to Preorder Sep 28, 2014, 15:21 Slashman

NeOCidE wrote on Sep 28, 2014, 14:49:
Competition is going to be fierce in the space sim genre. I fear for Egosoft. You need to nail the product before it ships or your just going to drive your customers to other alternatives.

The tricky bit is that there isn't a real alternative to Rebirth in terms of empire building gameplay. ED does space combat exceptionally well but it just offers trading. Star Citizen is an MMO, so really, Egosoft had the perfect opportunity to release something unique that no one else was offering. Right now, the only alternative would be Limit Theory but that isn't out yet either.

News Comments > Triad Wars Beta Signups; Trailer
7. Re: Triad Wars Beta Signups; Trailer Sep 23, 2014, 10:56 Slashman

How in the hell is this a follow-up to Sleeping Dogs?

How much more retarded can marketing execs get?

If you don't want to make a sequel fine. But don't make something else and pretend that you're making one. How stupid do you think people are?

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 21, 2014, 15:10 Slashman

Where the hell is Endless Legend?  

1569 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo