Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 1555 (Pro)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > X-Rebirth DLC Free to Preorder
29. Re: X-Rebirth DLC Free to Preorder Sep 29, 2014, 20:13 Slashman

harlock wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 14:47:
Slashman wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 09:11:
They quoted 'GTA in space' as how they wanted to make the gameplay.

GTA in space? Seriously?

GTA in space is totally possible, personally i think it would be super awesome

but the x series is not even close to it

That was my point. Nothing in the X series is, or has ever been, close to that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: X-Rebirth DLC Free to Preorder Sep 29, 2014, 09:11 Slashman

InBlack wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 06:15:
Kajetan wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 05:53:
Rebirth was a nearly dead project, because Egosoft couldnt get it right after years of developement and the rescue operations by Koch Media ruined the game finally for good. This game is BROKEN by design.

Nobody releases a broken product by design. I agree that it was released as a broken and flawed product, and that many design attributes plainly just dont work. But thats incompetence, not intent.

I'm thinking that what Kajetan meant was that they made bad design decisions. Several of those decisions were told to the community and they were questioned but ignored, because in Egosoft's own words: "The community may not like it but we're making a game to appeal to a wider audience."

They wanted to make the 'casual gamer's X'. The problem is that this type of game cannot really exist. X is complex not just by design, but to a great extent by necessity. It combines a combat space flight sim, with trading, station/empire building, exploration(kind of not implemented in Rebirth) and mission based gameplay. You can't really 'simplify' that forumla past a certain point. People are going to have fleets of ships under their command that need to be managed and controlled. They are going to want fine control over how their stations produce and trade wares.

The point is that there is no 'casual X audience'. I don't know who or what they were trying to appeal to but their pre-release vids pained an extremely misleading picture of the game. They quoted 'GTA in space' as how they wanted to make the gameplay.

GTA in space? Seriously?

12. Re: X-Rebirth DLC Free to Preorder Sep 28, 2014, 20:46 Slashman

As a developer, you should not nurture a pattern in your studio where you release an unfinished game and then take a year or more to get it into a playable and decent state.

OK, you did it once and then again. Does it really mean you need to go for a hat-trick? How can anyone be proud to manage a dev studio like this?

Not to mention the stuff that will never get fixed like the horrible character models, less than grade-school level voice acting and the useless co-pilot who can't actually DO anything.

6. Re: X-Rebirth DLC Free to Preorder Sep 28, 2014, 15:21 Slashman

NeOCidE wrote on Sep 28, 2014, 14:49:
Competition is going to be fierce in the space sim genre. I fear for Egosoft. You need to nail the product before it ships or your just going to drive your customers to other alternatives.

The tricky bit is that there isn't a real alternative to Rebirth in terms of empire building gameplay. ED does space combat exceptionally well but it just offers trading. Star Citizen is an MMO, so really, Egosoft had the perfect opportunity to release something unique that no one else was offering. Right now, the only alternative would be Limit Theory but that isn't out yet either.

News Comments > Triad Wars Beta Signups; Trailer
7. Re: Triad Wars Beta Signups; Trailer Sep 23, 2014, 10:56 Slashman

How in the hell is this a follow-up to Sleeping Dogs?

How much more retarded can marketing execs get?

If you don't want to make a sequel fine. But don't make something else and pretend that you're making one. How stupid do you think people are?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 21, 2014, 15:10 Slashman

Where the hell is Endless Legend?  

News Comments > Endless Legend Launches
2. Re: Endless Legend Launches Sep 18, 2014, 19:44 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 19:21:
Cool! I'll have to get around to playing this soon.

Hurry it up and let me know if the AI is decent. I'm on the verge of buying it.

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Trailer
4. Re: Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Trailer Sep 17, 2014, 20:12 Slashman

I just can't take space battles that aren't in 3d. It's like eliminating the whole point of fighting in space. Don't limit me to one plain of movement.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Rogue for PC Possible
3. Re: Assassin's Creed Rogue for PC Possible Sep 17, 2014, 11:17 Slashman

Why even bother making games for last gen consoles? What is the point?  

News Comments > Magicka 2 Karaoke Trailer and Contest
4. Re: Magicka 2 Karaoke Trailer and Contest Sep 13, 2014, 20:53 Slashman

Dang I'm gonna have to buy it now...  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Fable Anniversary
11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Fable Anniversary Sep 12, 2014, 23:20 Slashman

PHJF wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 22:28:
So they removed the mouse support in the UI (which was in the original game). The dev rep can be quoted as saying, "we only had time to do mouse controls or mod support, and we chose mod support."

What the hell???

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Nears; New Trailer
6. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2 Nears; New Trailer Sep 11, 2014, 15:12 Slashman

Too many games but I want this too!!! Wreck  

News Comments > Endless Legend Next Week
5. Re: Endless Legend Next Week Sep 10, 2014, 16:06 Slashman

Get in and play it Cutter. I want to know if the AI is up to scratch or if I should just wait for some post launch patches.

No reason not to get Endless Space. It's a fun game. As some mentioned, the combat isn't for everybody but it is way more interactive than GalCiv 2. If you're going to get it, get it along with the Disharmony expansion pack. It will be much more satisfying that way.

News Comments > Raven's Cry Pre-Purchases
6. Re: Raven's Cry Pre-Purchases Sep 10, 2014, 09:16 Slashman

Still can't believe people are using DRM on top of Steam. Are we regressing now? I thought the last of this crap had finally dried up.  

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 8, 2014, 10:03 Slashman

harlock wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 08:42:
you might expect everyone to agree with you, but yeh - thats really stupid

Actually I just expect that someone who doesn't agree actually presents a valid argument besides "the game is this...because I say it is. So there." That whole reasoning and common sense thing is hard I know but it helps to lend some validity to your statements. Don't let me stop you from being you though. Carry on.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 7, 2014, 23:29 Slashman

harlock wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 21:05:
Slashman wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 19:25:
Omni wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 18:35:
harlock wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 17:47:
Omni wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 16:10:
Lichdom: Battlemage is kinda repetitive if you ask me.

its basically an old school doom type game

Doom had speed and weapons you didn't get bored of after hours of play. Kinda sad you compare that game to an old school game.

Doom had no story and no ability to craft your own spells. I'd compare it more to Hexen or Heretic. Neither of which had any kind of spell crafting. I'm not finding it boring at all. Just misunderstood by some people who don't want to put any effort into the spell crafting system.

its a corridor shooter, with a handful of enemy types and some bosses

nuff said

Ah sorry man, my bad. I started out expecting some kind of reasoning and common sense in your analysis. I'll try not to make that mistake in the future.

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 7, 2014, 19:25 Slashman

Omni wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 18:35:
harlock wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 17:47:
Omni wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 16:10:
Lichdom: Battlemage is kinda repetitive if you ask me.

its basically an old school doom type game

Doom had speed and weapons you didn't get bored of after hours of play. Kinda sad you compare that game to an old school game.

Doom had no story and no ability to craft your own spells. I'd compare it more to Hexen or Heretic. Neither of which had any kind of spell crafting. I'm not finding it boring at all. Just misunderstood by some people who don't want to put any effort into the spell crafting system.

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 7, 2014, 15:17 Slashman

No Lichdom: Battlemage?

Kinda disappointed. Great game...

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Sep 6, 2014, 18:55 Slashman

nin wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 14:04:
Saboth wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 08:24:
I asked the guy at the register if they had Skyrim yet, and he replied "did you preorder it?" "No" "Then we don't have any copies" (in a rude manner).

Had the exact same experience many years ago, and it was the last time I set foot in their stores.

People go to stores to buy games?? Shocked

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Layoffs; Struggling Financially?
32. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Layoffs; Struggling Financially? Sep 4, 2014, 09:04 Slashman

sauron wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 08:23:
Honestly, I think the MMO formula has had its day. I played them for 10 years. There simply aren't enough new ideas coming in the new games in the genre to keep players interested. I think it's really that simple.

Studios want to keep taking the same route for MMOs over and over. It just isn't sustainable for a subscription-based game.

EVE works because it is unique and because it offers limitless freedom. The problem is that it is definitely so niche that, even though it has a huge following, most people aren't going to give it a chance because of its oftimes merciless nature and boring bits.

The MMO space is full of contradictions. For example, dedicated MMO players will often reject gameplay mechanics that lean to any kind of skill-based play. This leads studios to stick to the 'tried and true' hotbar skill system. But this inevitably leads to boring gameplay. Click this, then this and now this. They want a system they can min-max and power-level through.

Lots of other issues too. Designing static gameworlds even when they promise all this dynamism. You don't want newer players to miss a particular piece of content, so it never changes even when it has long since lost it's usefulness or meaning.

The MMO space needs a major shake-up. But the fear is that when it comes, MMO players will run from it and not embrace it.

1555 Comments. 78 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo