Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tim

Real Name Tim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Doombringer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 23, 2008, 15:24
Total Comments 100 (Novice)
User ID 52021

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > Prey 2 Trailer
15. Re: Prey 2 Trailer Jun 4, 2011, 22:41 Doombringer

They're clearly developing the alien backstory here. It's a big universe. Now we're seeing another facet of it, Beyond the Mothership.

Imagine if Mass Effect 1 focused on a few human colonies and nothing more. Now imagine Mass Effect 2 introducing the Citadel and more alien races, and how it all fits together.

And it's got freakin' Johnny Cash!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Call of Duty Paid Service Revealed
93. Re: Call of Duty Paid Service Revealed Jun 1, 2011, 00:36 Doombringer

I like WSJ's mention of Netflix. Because somehow a pay-to-play FPS will offer anywhere near the enormous value of a $8 or $10 Netflix subscription.

WoW's next on Bobby's list. I'm betting.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Elite Beta Signups
10. Re: Call of Duty: Elite Beta Signups Jun 1, 2011, 00:31 Doombringer

And for Bobby's next trick... World of Warcraft: Elite Access.  

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed
10. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 28, 2011, 05:27 Doombringer

The issue is that there is no standard for a value-added product here. Some CoDs came with a zombie/survival mode, some do not. With that inconsistency, it isn't surprising that gamers would want more value from the product, included in the purchase price, as some titles in the series have already provided.  

News Comments > Premium WoW Cross-Realm Play
41. Re: Premium WoW Cross-Realm Play May 18, 2011, 21:17 Doombringer

Teddy wrote on May 18, 2011, 20:17:
The LFG system that functions across realms is already in place. I doubt that allowing you to queue with those same people beforehand is anywhere near as complicated as you're making it out to be.

Exactly. Instead of a random algorithm pairing you with 'Bob-MalGanis', you right click on your RealID friend, invite, and you're paired with 'Joe-Argent Dawn.'

Anyone who thinks 90% of this system isn't already in place is a fool. They built it, we've been using it, and now it dawns on them that they should be milking us to make full use of it. If you buy Blizzard's BS line, I got a premium bridge I'd like to sell you.

News Comments > Premium WoW Cross-Realm Play
33. Re: Premium WoW Cross-Realm Play May 18, 2011, 19:13 Doombringer

The Pet Store opened this door. This cross-realm pay-to-group nudges it open a bit further.

A few years ago, a feature like this would have been included in an Expansion Pack or a Content Patch. It would be part of your subscription fee. Now... they're monetizing it.

It goes way beyond a mobile Auction House app. That required a team to develop an iPod and Android application from scratch, and various infrastructure tweaks to have it operate over 3G. This cross-realm play? It's part of Battle.net. It's 5-manning, in the game... the only difference is you're inviting friends from another server. Instead of inviting strangers from another server.

To say that required a great deal of dev time and that it somehow justifies making this (or any part of it) a premium fee is ridiculous. To charge someone to play with their friends... unthinkable. What UI or functionality tweak is on the block next? Tabard Manager? PREMIUM ONLY, FOLKS!

Bleh. Pardo made his quote denouncing crap like this in 2008. A few years later... here's where we're at. Funny how things change.

News Comments > WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10
6. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 9, 2011, 22:51 Doombringer

A flat-out PVP and PVE separation is a gamble. It could work in their favor, it could not. The game is 'almost' there now, with PVP progression and gear being discrete from PVE... perhaps they should make the final step...

Radical class changes were a bit of a problem at the beginning of Cata, as were the changes in heroic/raid difficulty. I think those two decisions backfired on them. The difficulty isn't hard to overcome, with time and patience, but it was nevertheless jarring for many of the players who came on during Wrath.

As for content... 4.1 is an example of content they're pushing out fast to satisfy people, and it isn't very satisfying at all. They shouldn't sacrifice quality for quantity, because they will lose players either way. Stick with quality, take your losses on the chin, and don't make any drastic design changes at any point. WoW is 6 years old, you're going to see some drop-off in subscribers.

News Comments > SOE Security Update
6. Re: SOE Security Update May 2, 2011, 23:03 Doombringer

Two systems compromised within a 30 day period. Wow.

I wonder who's hubris led them to think the SOE DBs were safe, after the PSN intrusion.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Interviews
1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Interviews Apr 30, 2011, 13:49 Doombringer

I like the Flashpoint concept. It seems to bring a lot of storytelling to your typical 'dungeon' encounter, and should make the MMO feel a little more 'intimate' for the players involved.  

News Comments > Jurassic Park: The Game Delayed
2. Re: Jurassic Park: The Game Delayed Apr 26, 2011, 21:04 Doombringer

ldonyo wrote on Apr 26, 2011, 20:46:
Isn't this about 20 years too late already?

Clearly the IP holder is trying to resurrect interest in the franchise, just like BTTF. The way to do that nowadays appears to be with a video game.

News Comments > Valve Done with the "Isolated Single-player Experience"?
34. Re: Valve Done with the Apr 25, 2011, 18:27 Doombringer

I don't read this as an end to the single-player experience overall... I think we will always have single-player. What Gabe might be shooting for is more social integration, possibly through sharing Achievements with friends via social networking, or buying/trade of in-game items, an open marketplace for maps, etc.

I think back to the multi-player aspects of games like Neverwinter Nights, and how a 'DM' would create map(s) for players to join and partake in, oftentimes with a story attached, creating something of a mish-mash between single-player and multi-player.

News Comments > Portal 2 Countdown?
27. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 10:36 Doombringer

Teddy wrote on Apr 23, 2011, 08:00:
Loved the game, but I do have to agree with him that limiting where the portals can be so drastically made the puzzles much easier for me.

There is more and more of this lately, in gaming. Accessibility. In some cases, it isn't a bad thing - entire genres or sub-genres that were typically reserved for the 'elite' (MMOs) can now be enjoyed by a wider variety of players. Yet in others, it can detract from a title that would historically be more challenging (a puzzle game) as it is 'dumbed down' to guide players through, or to simply conform to a less capable control scheme (consoles).

I suppose Portal has become less a puzzle game and more an adventure game with puzzle elements. It's a happy medium, I think. This world is simply too fun to play in to not make it available to almost anyone

News Comments > Portal 2 Countdown?
20. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 01:26 Doombringer

briktal wrote on Apr 22, 2011, 23:23:
I started to go through the game again with commentary, but there's just so little commentary. There's something like 50 more nodes total in Portal 1, and in Portal 2 they are also spread between sp and coop modes.

It's true, there are very few commentary nodes. I was actually surprised, because Portal 2 is obviously a much more polished effort than Portal 1.

The commentary nodes that did exist were pretty great, however. Not many were overly-technical. I enjoyed the insight into their development process, especially their playtesting... it was surprising to see how much feedback they get and how they change the game based on this feedback. Plus there's insight into how the writers - inadvertently at times - crafted the storyline, my personal favorite.

News Comments > BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule
14. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 13, 2011, 07:32 Doombringer

The charity dinner is worth going to at least once, because you can meet people like Chris Metzen and Samwise Didier and actually talk with them a bit and get their autograph (just don't be a leech and take up too much of their time - other fans want to meet them, too). That said, it's $500 a head. Steep, these days.

The Con itself... well, it's not your traditional fan convention. You'll find only a handful of vendors, and everything is Blizzard-focused (naturally), rather than it being sort of an overall geek mecca. You can run into some real bro-gamers there, too. The panels are great, but typically you end up in a back, back row (unless you park yourself very early and get a closer seat, and then you're missing out on other con-stuff) and you end up watching most of it on an overhead screen. For years, people have been claiming entire rows of chairs for their friends by stringing crap across seats (they really should put a stop to this), making seating an issue.

The overall quality of the goodie bag has gone down in the past few years. The 'big thing' has always been pretty awesome, but the auxiliary items... eh. My first BlizzCon was 2008, and they gave you a whole load of little goodies in addition to the 'big thing.' It was a nice little treasure trove of stuff. In 2009 and 2010, the bags had less and less in them.

All in all, if you just want the news (which is the major thing for the Con), you can save yourself $100+ and get it at home via the stream.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2011, 08:05.

News Comments > The Old Republic Trailer, Guild Program Details
14. Re: The Old Republic Trailer, Guild Program Details Mar 12, 2011, 13:21 Doombringer

If you want a game like Ye Olde Tie Fighter, then don't come to an MMO. Seriously, people... the space portions are a minigame and that's it.

I loved Tie Fighter back in the day. Space combat sims were my cup of tea. I'd love a Tie Fighter remake with modern tech... but I don't expect to get it in an MMO.

News Comments > True Crime and Guitar Hero Cancelled
6. Re: True Crime and Guitar Hero Cancelled? Feb 9, 2011, 18:08 Doombringer

Wow. This will put a lot of pressure on Blizzard. More expansions/add-ons, faster pace... stressed dev teams, lower quality.

Or... we'll see WoW/Starcraft/Diablo spin-off games (ala the canceled 'Starcraft: Ghost') in the near future, developed outside of Blizzard but still under the Activision umbrella.

News Comments > On StarCraft II in Korea
13. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 14, 2010, 09:22 Doombringer

I haven't closely followed the whole Starcraft e-Sports thing, so I'm not entirely sure what the problem is here... but it seems to be IP related? These days, your IP is your lifeblood in this industry. Were the Korean broadcasters infringing on this somehow?

What I *have* seen of the Korean e-Sports stuff does seem like they took things and ran with it, and Blizzard basically gave them carte blanche to do so. I can't really blame them for wanting to rein things in. If YOU made a product that somehow spawned competitive, ranked matches based on it... I think you'd want a big piece of that pie, too.

I liken it to the creator of the rubber chicken wanting in on any nationally or globally-televised, high-profile rubber chicken prize fights.

News Comments > TF2 Maintenance Tuesday
16. Re: TF2 Maintenance Tuesday Nov 6, 2010, 17:44 Doombringer

Is TF2 positioning to become an MMO? Maybe as a spin-off? Seems like they are testing some distinctly MMO features... microtransactions, crafting, trading, and achievements were already there. Interesting.

I think it should definitely stay an FPS, even with these features... but maybe Valve is considering a separate MMO project.

News Comments > 9 Months to Turn Around APB
3. Re: 9 Months to Turn Around APB Nov 6, 2010, 16:58 Doombringer

The problem with "releasing a broken game" is generally this: the teams working on the game are not given enough time to do it right. Now, this could range from bad business processes... work that is done is done poorly or with bad design that needs to be cleaned up or re-done... or perhaps the team is undersized... or...

I think the APB team genuinely wanted to turn out a good game. I think they fell short. The publisher pushed it through anyhow, to recoup some of their losses before it became too great a mess and fell apart. APB *is* a pretty interesting, and ambitious, concept for a game... basically a two-faction GTA MMO. It's a shame it didn't get a fair shake, and a 'finished' status.

News Comments > Kotick: Audience "Clamoring" for Subscription CoD
30. Re: Kotick: Audience Jun 20, 2010, 17:06 Doombringer

What are they clamoring for, exactly? Do they want something like MAG? Massive multiplayer FPS? How do you justify the monthly cost? What is a gamer's dollar going to get them?

MMOs keep players playing because of two things: their character can be improved in many ways (armor, weapons, showpiece items, mounts, glowy effects, etc), and the world their character plays in desperately needs their freelance help (quests, dungeons, PVP). Call of Duty has, at this point, been about the modern military in the real world (WWII and up). The only way a pay-for-play model would work is if you offered them a sandbox world to go crazy in, ala MAG or APB... perhaps a third world country controlled by rival warlords who employ Private Military Contractors left and right to do their dirty work?

That might work, but that means changing the face of CoD. You can't just take what CoD is now and slap a fee on it and expect people to pay. Online multiplayer FPS matchmaking for basic CTF/deathmatch/etc. is basically a god-given right in the market these days... no game hoping to make sales will ever charge for that basic service.

100 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo