Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tim

Real Name Tim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Doombringer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 23, 2008, 15:24
Total Comments 98 (Suspect)
User ID 52021

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
45. Re: id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms Oct 7, 2011, 23:52 Doombringer

Wow. This guy is a titan of the industry, and he basically took a dump on PC gamers everywhere. Nice. As if the buggy RAGE wasn't already a thumbed-nose.

Never forget your roots, John. They're what bought you those Ferraris and got you where you are today, after all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers
27. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers Oct 1, 2011, 12:42 Doombringer

If you don't want 'scripted' or 'highly scripted' then play Serious Sam. Most modern FPSes have some scripting or 'on rails' feel to them, because if they didn't then other players would be crying that there's no "story" or that the game is "too freeform and lacking direction."  

News Comments > Howard on Bugs and Why Skyrim is Not an MMOG
4. Re: Howard on Skyrim Bugs and Why Skyrim is Not an MMOG Aug 31, 2011, 21:10 Doombringer

I like that they're sticking to their guns, and making a game they want to. I would argue that they're 'dumbing it down' a bit for console gamers (easier control scheme, less complicated gameplay systems)... but it would be far, far worse as an MMO.  

News Comments > Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced
30. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 21:44 Doombringer

What dipshit at the top of Razer decided the world needed another extreme gaming laptop? Seriously.

The world of PC gaming is not lived on the bleeding edge. Your average gamer will not have that kind of setup; they can't afford $2800. For a laptop. $2800 for hardware that's obsolete in 2 years or so? Yeesh. Spend half... no, spend a third of that and get a pretty screamin' desktop rig instead.

You can see why a lot of gamers skip the PC releases of titles and buy them on XBox or PS3. The console cost them at most $300-ish and the games are the same price. Plus they can trade them in. A $2800 laptop with 'adaptive' keys... I say again, yeesh.

No, Razer. This is not PC gaming. PC gaming right now is strong in the indie market, because those games aren't going to consoles. Unless they get insanely popular (I'm looking at you, Notch). And these games don't need a whiz-bang laptop to play them. Get with it.

News Comments > Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced
11. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 12:50 Doombringer

Wow. Most of you people are joyless, jaded twats. This trailer wasn't bad at all.  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Notch on Being Courted by EA
13. Re: Quoteworthy - Notch on Being Courted by EA Aug 6, 2011, 08:21 Doombringer

Creston wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 00:52:
I can just see EA's sales pitch:

"Notch, join us! We'll pay you like 200 million bucks, and you'll retain all freedom to do whatever you want, and to make the games you want to make, for the platforms that only you want, and the way you want them to, and we'll never interfere and...

"Okay, I can see don't believe me. Shit. That idiot from Bioware swallowed that whole fairy tale hook, line and sinker. Yeah, the truth is we'd delay your next game by a year so we can make shitty console versions of it, then we'll force you to cut half your content so we can sell it as DLC, we're going to make you shit out a game every year, oh, AND you'll only get to make sequels to the properties that look like they might compete with Call of Duty or ones we can squeeze for a name recognition dollar. In short, you'll never again make something that you really love.

"Sounds great, right? Notch? Notch?? Where are you going? NOTCH?!"

Creston

Amen to that. Sounds like the line Kotick fed to Blizzard. And they bought it, too.

News Comments > WoW Drops More Subs
66. Re: WoW Drops More Subs Aug 4, 2011, 22:08 Doombringer

They dropped the ball by making Cataclysm's heroics and entry raids more difficult than similar content was in Wrath. That turned a lot of players off, particularly those who came or stayed onboard during Wrath. Those folks expected easy heroics. Plus players new to Cata see a streamlined, easy leveling experience and then are hit with hard heroics/raids. From their point of view it's off-putting. Vets would say "learn to play."

The shared 10/25man are also killing pick-up raid runs now that Tier 11 is nerfed - in Wrath, it was very common that someone who ran a regular 10man would throw together a random 25man sometime in the week to do Sarth/Archavon/Naxx for giggles. This kept people interested and playing, with the ability to score some extra loot for their main or to start gearing an alt. In Cata, there's a lot less of this because people are locked out. Plus, even with nerfs, fights like Nef and Cho'gall will chew and spit out most PUGs.

Plus, attrition. The game is 7 years old. If you've been playing since Classic, you're probably getting tired. They're trying to bring in new blood, but these 'kids' can level 1 to 85 in a week and not understand their class. They're then tossed into the Dungeon Queue with veterans, they don't know how to tank/dps/heal or CC, and the result is a self-destructing PUG.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jul 26, 2011, 17:51 Doombringer

I hate to say it, but take a look at EA... at least they made a bid for PopCap, and got it. They realized "hey, we need some new blood... these guys are pretty hot." Evidently someone there said "we can't live on Madden forever."  

News Comments > Epic on Bulletstorm Sales
23. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 15:25 Doombringer

All these Bulletstorm detractors... it goes to show you, people who say they want something like Duke Nukem 3D with today's graphics really do not want Duke Nukem 3D with today's graphics.

I'm not going to say Bulletstorm was a great game by any stretch of the imagination, but it tried - and in some ways succeeded in - tapping the DN3D vibe.

There's just no pleasing some people.

News Comments > Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live
45. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 15, 2011, 23:54 Doombringer

Teddy wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 22:08:
http://classic.battle.net/war3/undead/units/deathknight.shtml

Care to try that again? The Death Knight class came from the Death Knight hero class in Warcraft 3, which vastly predates anything Age of Conan did.

Dislike a game if you want, dislike a company if you want, but you really should draw the line at libel. It doesn't take more than a handful of seconds to actually look something up, try it once and a while and you won't look so stupid.

I agree with you, but I had to laugh when you pointed to Warcraft 3 as being the source of an original idea. I'm a huge fan of Blizzard, but damn, they cribbed a LOT from Games Workshop.

News Comments > The Old Republic Doesn't Require Origin
24. Re: The Old Republic Doesn't Require Origin Jun 17, 2011, 06:13 Doombringer

If you actually thought Origin was required to RUN the game... wow. Just, wow.

Anyway, I'm glad there will be boxed copies, to satisfy those people who really, really want the cardboard.

News Comments > DNF Review Dust Up
94. Re: DNF Review Dust Up Jun 15, 2011, 23:03 Doombringer

What surprises me most is the "omg the game has base humor!" critique. This, coming from people who have lauded Grand Theft Auto 3, VC, SA, 4, etc. despite them having the same sort of humor, or worse. At least Duke laments killing the impregnated women, and he's not scoring points for mowing down civilians by the truckload. Gouranga?

Regarding gameplay... I started appreciating DNF more when I stopped expecting it to be Duke 3D.

If your problems with the game are technical issues (glitches, etc.) then there's nothing I can defend there. It hasn't been buggy for me, knock on wood.

News Comments > Kotick Buying Myspace?
14. Re: Kotick Buying Myspace? Jun 9, 2011, 20:22 Doombringer

After being snubbed by EA during their E3 preview of Battlefield 3 (hilarious), Kotick was reported as saying, "I don't need you guys! I can buy new friends!"

And so, he is purchasing MySpace.

News Comments > id Happy to be Done with Engine Licensing
6. Re: id Happy to be Done with Engine Licensing Jun 8, 2011, 21:50 Doombringer

The industry got some truly amazing games out of id engine licensing. They shouldn't be so quick to poo-poo it.

They're also not particularly relevant, not like they used to be. RAGE may change that, but it'll be a flash in the pan if anything... they're not licensing its engine, so there's less to get excited about. RAGE comes, goes, and has no legacy. Wolf 3D, Doom, Quake... those games lived on because of both the precedents they set, and because of what others did with the tech.

Heck, non-id, there's all the Build licensing that went around in its heyday, the Unreal engines are still getting licensed, the Source engine is still a powerhouse...

News Comments > RIFT Sells Nearly 1 Million
30. Re: RIFT Sells Nearly 1 Million Jun 8, 2011, 18:43 Doombringer

Let him gloat. I'm a little tired of Blizzard, and more specifically their fanboys, lording their 'top spot' over the entire goddamn MMO industry. It's about time someone took a potshot at them.  

News Comments > The Old Republic Origin Exclusive, Intro Trailer Released [Updated]
22. Re: The Old Republic Origin Exclusive, Intro Trailer Released Jun 6, 2011, 19:09 Doombringer

Fion wrote on Jun 6, 2011, 18:54:
Doombringer wrote on Jun 6, 2011, 18:51:
I haven't bought a game from a brick-and-mortar store in a dog's age. It's either Amazon or Steam all the way.

We aren't saying this is a bad idea because we cant buy the game in a retail store. I haven't purchased a game from a store in ages either. It's that the game will ONLY be available via EA's shitty download service.

It's a little stifling, I agree, if that's the only option they're giving. You don't know how 'shitty' it will be, however. Steam launched years ago and was a steam-ing pile of crap, but it's shaped up since then and is a great content delivery service.

Maybe EA is greedy, or maybe this is simply their way of standardizing their content delivery, multiplayer and account management backends, anti-piracy, merchandise sales, etc, etc, into a single platform. I'm shocked, shocked, that gamers of all people, somewhat tech-savvy folks in general, aren't going at this with at LEAST an open mind. So many folks here will laud Steam and decry Origin, but forget exactly how Valve's service launched way back in the day. Or they'll be the types who are A-OK with Apple's iron grip on their App Store, or will slobber all over Notch's knob despite Minecraft's single-point-sales scheme, but will dump on Origin... geez people.

News Comments > The Old Republic Origin Exclusive, Intro Trailer Released [Updated]
19. Re: The Old Republic Origin Exclusive, Intro Trailer Released Jun 6, 2011, 18:51 Doombringer

If you're so hung up on buying the game from a store... well, I'm sorry for you. I haven't bought a game from a brick-and-mortar store in a dog's age. It's either Amazon or Steam all the way. Better prices, direct download, easier patching... I'll take any or all of those, and I don't get them from EBGames. Origin is just EA's Store/version of Steam and Battle.net.

Did you people boohoo when WoW went direct download from Blizzard's Store? Sure, they still sell boxed copies, but I know a number of friends who skipped the box for Cataclysm and just bought a digital copy. And it was NEVER available from Steam... what's with all this "omg if they eschew Steam they'll lose so many customers!"

Boxes are being phased out in an app-store/direct-download world. The old publishing lifecycle is dying out. Get with the program.

News Comments > Sunday Screenshots
12. Re: Sunday Screenshots Jun 6, 2011, 08:19 Doombringer

While I didn't play the demo, I have seen coverage on it. I'm not very impressed. :/ I've been a Duke fan since the early platformers, and DN3D was probably the greatest thing to happen to my young-adulthood, but DNF just doesn't seem to 'get it.'

Limited to 2 weapons? No mighty boot? 'Objective' style levels and 'ammo drops'? Lots of T&A but not much else. The graphics I couldn't care less about... fun gameplay is more important. The devs should have went more 'Serious Sam' or 'Bulletstorm' and less 'Modern Warfare.'

News Comments > Prey 2 Trailer
15. Re: Prey 2 Trailer Jun 4, 2011, 22:41 Doombringer

They're clearly developing the alien backstory here. It's a big universe. Now we're seeing another facet of it, Beyond the Mothership.

Imagine if Mass Effect 1 focused on a few human colonies and nothing more. Now imagine Mass Effect 2 introducing the Citadel and more alien races, and how it all fits together.

And it's got freakin' Johnny Cash!

News Comments > Call of Duty Paid Service Revealed
93. Re: Call of Duty Paid Service Revealed Jun 1, 2011, 00:36 Doombringer

I like WSJ's mention of Netflix. Because somehow a pay-to-play FPS will offer anywhere near the enormous value of a $8 or $10 Netflix subscription.

WoW's next on Bobby's list. I'm betting.

98 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo