Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tim

Real Name Tim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Doombringer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 23, 2008, 15:24
Total Comments 100 (Novice)
User ID 52021

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Parties Like It's 1999
6. Re: BioShock Infinite Parties Like It's 1999 Jan 19, 2012, 11:53 Doombringer

Yakubs wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 10:45:
So 1999 Mode is their attempt at making an actual game rather than a entertainment experience? I guess they get some credit for at least being self-aware.

It's a game, not a mortgage commitment.

Listen, I liked depthy games too... back when I was in high school and had entire weekends to devote to them. Old school XCOM? Yep. Today? I'm lucky if I have an hour after work and one or two on the weekends. Gaming has grown up... more adults are playing, but they have time constraints. Developers have to adapt to this change in the market or they'll close their doors entirely. So, would you rather have the dreaded "console-ized" games... or no games at all?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems
16. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 19, 2012, 00:27 Doombringer

The PVP exploit: not the first, not the last, in any and every MMO. Players find ways around content blocks and even the best bug-hunting. I can't tell you how many times WoW has PTR'd a patch for months... it launches... and bugs still abound. Often, they are bugs that were even reported many times in PTR.

The faction imbalance: again, this is news? It happens. People want to play what they want to play, and where they want to play it. For years, many WoW servers were plagued with this problem... any open-world PVP saw more Alliance players over Horde, or more skilled Horde over Alliance, etc, etc. All a matter of perspective. Cross-realm PVP would balance this, but any per-realm PVP will always be subject to however that server's factions are "stacked." Fact of life. If players clamor for "open world PVP" they have to accept the reality of their server's faction landscape.

What boggles me most is that some people are treating this as if its the first time this has ever happened in an MMO. Hello? Every MMO has these problems. WoW has, and still has, these problems... 7 years in!

News Comments > Diablo III Dropping RMT in Korea?
15. Re: Diablo III Dropping RMT in Korea? Jan 14, 2012, 19:20 Doombringer

Paketep wrote on Jan 14, 2012, 16:25:
nin wrote on Jan 14, 2012, 15:17:

Interesting that they would buckle there but not elsewhere. I'd love to have been a fly on the way during D3s development and controversial decisions being made. Surely not everyone there is fond of the direction the final produce appears to have taken.

If they aren't, they certainly disguise it really well.

If I worked at Blizz, seeing what they've been doing with SC2 and now D3, I'd have left long ago. They're pissing all over their history.

What's really amazing is the amount of people that will defend them whatever they do. Fanboyism is sad.

Amen to that. This isn't the Blizzard of the 90's, folks. They're big on monetization now. I suppose we should be thankful they've kept it *relatively* low-key to this point... where they could have gone heavier on the cash shop in WoW while still keeping the sub cost.

But hey, give Kotick time. It's now more about making Great Business and less about making Great Games.

News Comments > CD Projekt RED Ceasing Witcher 2 Piracy Witch Hunt
11. Re: CD Projekt RED Ceasing Witcher 2 Piracy Witch Hunt Jan 12, 2012, 13:39 Doombringer

Those "torrent IP address" witch hunts have too great a chance at either coming up empty, or false accusations. We don't really need another 50 stories about computer-less grandmothers in Uganda getting slammed for supposedly downloading a torrent. Trying to stop piracy after the fact is really too late in the process.

Use always-on DRM if you must. Sure, people will gripe about even that... but if you do not have high-speed always-on internet these days, you're probably not in possession of a modern gaming PC anyhow. These things tend to go hand in hand.

People will always moan and groan about any method you choose... but they'll also get over it when they realize they're connected to the net 99% of the time their PC is on, anyway.

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Jan 11, 2012, 20:38 Doombringer

Something needs to be done, that I agree with.

Right now, you are looking at developers who begin to greatly prefer console development not simply for the ease of development or expanding their market... but because the pirating scene is far less prevalent (but not entirely absent) with consoles compared to PC games.

This leads to a general decline in feature-rich PC gaming, as games become "simplified" (dumbed down) for console controller interfaces and the sort of "pick up, put down" gameplay associated with switching on a console for a quick game. Games may also be console-exclusives, eschewing the pirate-rich PC market altogether if devs/publishers feel the profit won't outweigh the piracy.

And really, pirates are scum. Devs work hard to create these games, and pirates literally pluck the profits from their pockets with each hack and torrent they release. I really don't blame any developer for saying "persistent internet connection or no-go" at this point. It's become a matter of protecting their investment (triple-A game titles require a great deal of time, money and manpower to produce).

News Comments > Scroll of Resurrection on Cooldown
2. Re: Scroll of Resurrection on Cooldown Jan 11, 2012, 11:13 Doombringer

I translate this as "we're losing money, no more freebies."  

News Comments > Layoffs at id Software
45. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 06:52 Doombringer

arnold wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 04:15:
stalker????? one of the most boring game i played.........

You missed the point of Stalker, entirely. Just because it wasn't a fast deathmatch-style game doesn't mean it was "boring." It simply wasn't your cup of tea.

News Comments > Layoffs at id Software
24. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 00:17 Doombringer

Prez wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 23:20:
Why do these company layoff press releases have to come across so callous and impersonal? They sound like they are talking about emptying the cafeteria garbage bins. These are actual, real live people who are losing their jobs in a bad economy. Would it kill them to at least pretend they care?

Because companies seldom care. If you happen to find a company nowadays who truly values their employees... well, hold onto that one. They're rare. Most will not care if you've worked 5, 10 or 20 years... in fact, the longer you're on the payroll, the bigger a target you become. All those raises you've accrued over the years? They're a bullseye. When HR can get a zit-faced kid to do your work for $10+ less an hour, they'll dump you and get him. Occasionally, they'll even make you train your replacement.

You're doubly boned if you work in an employment-at-will state. This effectively allows the company to fire you for any reason, at any time, without warning -- if you think you've been mistreated, then the only thing you can do is litigate.

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 11:02 Doombringer

PropheT wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 03:04:
Doombringer wrote on Dec 31, 2011, 21:55:
Krahulik should have stayed out of it. He can spin it however he'd like, but it boils down to "I think I'm pretty important since I run PA and PAX, so I'm going to throw my weight into this bit of arm-flailing."

Between this ridiculousness and the Notch/Yogscast Twitter debacle a few weeks back, the "gaming community" is looking more and more like "kindergarten."

That's absolutely ridiculous.

It might also be worth noting that since PAX, the show the guy was touting that he'd be at, wouldn't exist without Krahulik...he doesn't have to think he's important, he is. If he doesn't want someone with that sort of behavior being on the floor at his show then I think it'd be irresponsible for him not to say something. It's part of why PA is as popular as it is, because they aren't just going to let it slide because someone is paying them money...they actually care about what's going on.

As much as I hate the gaming community in general, the actual event that people are talking about is one of the positive examples of it. The stupidity surrounding it and the juvenile actions of random people who aren't involved with the story sucks (including Kotaku here), but it's pretty silly to think that's a gaming community thing and not a general internet thing.

And further dragging this into the public eye accomplishes... what, exactly?

Krahulik was showboating as the "defender" here plain and simple. He could have easily put the kibosh on that nitwit's attendance without all the limelight. Nobody here was particularly gracious in their handling of it, and it really boils down to Nerd Wars. "Arm the Twitter Trebuchets, men!" and completely unprofessional behavior all around.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Dec 31, 2011, 21:55 Doombringer

Krahulik should have stayed out of it. He can spin it however he'd like, but it boils down to "I think I'm pretty important since I run PA and PAX, so I'm going to throw my weight into this bit of arm-flailing."

Between this ridiculousness and the Notch/Yogscast Twitter debacle a few weeks back, the "gaming community" is looking more and more like "kindergarten."

News Comments > Blizzard Downtime
3. Re: Blizzard Downtime Dec 24, 2011, 14:29 Doombringer

Deger, while I'll agree that Blizzard is really a shadow of its former self... I wouldn't equate "time sink" with their current MMO (WoW). If anything, there are systems in place where I play the game less for more reward (Looking for Dungeon/Raid).

Now, I suppose if you're talking about the WoW of "olde" ... i.e. Classic or Burning Crusade ... then yes, there were a great many time sinks.

News Comments > EverQuest Cheaters on Notice
9. Re: EverQuest Cheaters on Notice Dec 3, 2011, 13:25 Doombringer

They're not banning them outright for the same reason Blizzard won't likely ban DREAM Paragon after their recent 4.3 LFR exploits.

They're subscribers. They're paying.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer
16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 26, 2011, 07:08 Doombringer

Veterator wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 23:52:
What bothers me about this beta weekend is that they got thousands of people downloading 20-30 gigs worth of data. Waiting upwards of a week for more info. And they let them in Saturday at 10AM and it ends Sunday at midnight. That's not even 48 hours of opportunity to login for all your time invested up to this point.

I mean Ive been in the beta for awhile, and that pisses me off. I have friends who I had to convince to get in and they didn't even give them the holiday and the weekend to mess around. Gave them a day and a half at best if there are no problems....and they are going to take the servers down (probably wipe the temp servers) so that means you have repeat yourself the next time they give you 36 hours to try to login.

And the game prior to this massive influx of people has been having huge lag spikes, whether it's due to code or server issues. I hate to see my friends just flat out waste their time for a bunch of downloading/sign-up/lag/other problems the chance to play won't even make up for. And both of them are star wars fans.

It's a stress test. The game launches in less than a month! Criminey. They're not going to give you weeks of beta access so you can burn out and not buy the retail product. If your friends are fans, and your experience with the beta has been relatively positive, then tell them to buy the game when it's out.

These kids nowadays... it's like "beta test" means "free game."

News Comments > I Am Alive PC Follow-up
4. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 24, 2011, 13:27 Doombringer

B-b-b-b-backpedalling!

I could see one or two words getting mixed up and lost in translation, but he went on about how a PC version wouldn't sell well, possibly only 50k units, and seemed convinced no PC user would buy it (they'd only pirate it).

News Comments > WoW Law Enforcement Guide Leaked?
3. Re: WoW Law Enforcement Guide Leaked? Nov 21, 2011, 19:19 Doombringer

I have a friend who works for Verizon Wireless doing similar work. Subpoenas, cell traces, etc. It's pretty surprising how accurately they can triangulate your position based on the cell towers you're using. Great field to get into -- a little techy, a little criminal-justice, and the pay isn't bad.  

News Comments > Minecraft Version 1.0
13. Re: Minecraft Version 1.0 Nov 19, 2011, 11:58 Doombringer

Played it in beta. Single player, I created a sprawling little 'fortress' for myself to stand against the zombies. Multiplayer, I joined a very popular, successful server and created a replica of a fictitious skyscraper... worked on it for two weeks... only to have the server completely change maps right around the time the 'powered rail' update came out. Lost all that work.

I got my money's worth out of Minecraft, and am done with it.

News Comments > Skyrim Ships 7M
6. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 16, 2011, 22:58 Doombringer

30 hours in and I've done so little! I say about 3/4ths of the realm is still unexplored. It boggles the mind.

Every day I play, I have some interesting story to tell -- a quest or two completed, and something random that occurred or something unexpected I discovered. Amazing.

News Comments > Jurassic Jeep and Chaos Theory
7. Re: Jurassic Jeep and Chaos Theory Nov 15, 2011, 02:32 Doombringer

If I were the Jeep owner, I'd have hit them with a per diem rate up front -- no freebies -- and I definitely would have required closed-container shipping.

There's one thing I've learned: freight carriers do not care about you or your item. I have seen everything from bathtubs to snowblowers be handled poorly by freight carriers, including the "loss" of a $1500 generator (because those can just go missing in warehouses!) and the insurance claims process is slow and wretched. Telltale FINALLY did what was right, which was pay out of pocket for the guy's jeep while they worry about the insurance claim on their own time.

I'm sad it took an internet smear campaign to get the TTG CEO to wake up and smell the java. Which are you, TTG? Small developer with a big heart or soulless big developer with a legal team to hide behind? Sounds like you wanted to be the latter, until the guy you're jerking around stopped putting up with it and called you out.

News Comments > EA Forum Bans Still Earning Game Bans?
47. Re: EA Forum Bans Still Earning Game Bans? Nov 14, 2011, 18:23 Doombringer

I wanted to give EA/Origin a fair shake... and I did... but this is BS.

I like Steam... though their recent compromise has shaken my faith in their security. Still, hackers are jerkoffs no one can fully prepare for. This Origin/EA ban business is a POLICY, or severe lack thereof. Ugh.

Horrible.

News Comments > Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology
90. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 29, 2011, 09:25 Doombringer

Showing the Corpsegrinder video was a dick move. Plain and simple. Raging man-child slinging profanity and cross-faction hatred... yeah, great choice for a convention where you want to bring fans together and have them enjoy their favorite franchises.

I don't need to be a CEO of Blizzard to tell that it would be a poor choice for ANY part of the convention, including the ending concert.

100 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo