Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tim

Real Name Tim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Doombringer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 23, 2008, 15:24
Total Comments 100 (Novice)
User ID 52021

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
18. Halo, Destiny Jul 12, 2014, 22:04 Doombringer

XBox gamers complaining about PS4 exclusive items/access...

Really. Tell me about your problems.

I'm a PC gamer who recalls seeing Halo originally announced at a 1999 Macworld. I'm a PC gamer who, along with my Mac gamer friends, brought Bungie up from infancy by playing and loving their games like Marathon and Myth. I'm a PC gamer who felt betrayed by Halo's sudden XBox exclusivity, and again insulted by the limp-wristed PC port of it that came eons later, and wasn't even ported by Bungie themselves.

So. Yes. You really have room to complain, XBox gamers. Now you know what it's like to get a slap in the face from a company you poured a lot of love into over the years, only to watch them turn on a dime and arrange platform exclusive deals that make them a ton of cash and spit in the faces of their fans.

I suppose I should be lucky that Blizzard still supports PC and Mac gamers as part of their company creed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Is Destiny Destined for PCs?
11. Bungie, traitors to their heritage Apr 28, 2014, 19:05 Doombringer

Bungie isn't Bungie any more. Hell, when Bungie went to MS, they stopped being Bungie.

Halo was debuted at a god-damned MacWorld conference, let's not forget. It barely made it to PC as a lousy port, years later. People think Duke Nukem Forever was a joke... no, the original Halo is a better example of a dev studio completely hosing their fans and customers (and expecting us to like it).

News Comments > Croteam on Windows 8 Issues
40. Wow... Nov 17, 2012, 19:10 Doombringer

I'm seeing a lot of "gasp!" and "the sky is falling!" regarding Windows 8's "Metro" or RT apps...

I suppose it wouldn't be so shocking if Microsoft said "hey, it's like iOS. Get it?"

Because that's what it is. It's a walled garden. You can't install whatever you'd like on an iOS device, and yet, somehow Apple can't sell enough of them. People are eating them up. Did you think Microsoft *wasn't* going to want a piece of this?

News Comments > Valve on Linux Plans
3. Valve on Linxu Plans Oct 29, 2012, 21:14 Doombringer

This reeks of Gabe thumbing his nose at Microsoft simply because he can, and his subordinates trumpeting the same message. Yet, has Valve done the same for Apple? iOS is just as closed as Windows RT in terms of app development, but I haven't heard Gabe rallying the troops against Cupertino? Is he still OK with Sony and the Playstation, but hating on XBox? This guy needs to learn a little about consistency and hypocrisy. A closed platform is a closed platform, a walled garden is a walled garden.

Unless Windows 8 somehow patches out its classic Desktop environment, I can't see it being omg-horribly-detrimental to gaming.

News Comments > Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt
85. Re: Minecraft Patent Lawsuit Sep 27, 2012, 20:39 Doombringer

But this guy had no problem certifying Minecraft as an iOS app? Hypocrite much?

I love these people who give Microsoft crap for their pursuit of a closed platform, but give Apple a pass on A) iOS in total, B) the Mac App Store, and C) Gatekeeper.

News Comments > Minecraft Patent Lawsuit
9. Re: Minecraft Patent Lawsuit Jul 22, 2012, 16:38 Doombringer

Notch may be in the right, but his smug approach makes me want him to fail. The "I'll throw piles of money at them!" is little more than a boast. It isn't "cool" and it doesn't put him in a "good guy" light.  

News Comments > The Old Republic Lead Designer: "We Are Looking At Free-to-Play"
24. Re: The Old Republic Lead Designer: "We Are Looking At Free-to-Play" Jun 15, 2012, 00:05 Doombringer

The thing is... TOR is not a bad game. You can tell the devs put effort into it, and are continuing to put effort into it. Their design was simply flawed. They really should not have set out to make a MMO like TOR -- it tries to be too many things for too many people, like WoW. They should have looked at Rift, Guild Wars, and EVE and seen that appealing to a niche market wouldn't be a bad thing. Perhaps they could have went after the hardcore WoW vets.

WoW was a perfect storm in the MMO space. It launched when competition was lacking. It launched with a strong IP and a strong team backing it. It was "retard friendly" as someone here put it, but also offered top-end challenges... and it gained a foothold that remains difficult to break. Today, it is only surviving because it narrowed its focus to please the largest part of their player base (casual or semi-casual)... not every part of their player base.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. May 24, 2012, 01:52 Doombringer

Agent.X7 wrote on May 23, 2012, 20:53:
This show/game thing will fail so bad. I'd love for them to do something awesome, but you just know they are going to cheese the hell out of it. The "interactivity" is all pre-planned. They want you to think what players do will matter, but you can tell they've already scripted it out.

No doubt a lot of it is scripted, but I think they leave some wildcards in to keep the gimmick going. And it's really a pretty cool gimmick. Most shows tend to have a "b" plot in the series/episodes, and that's a perfect target for this sort of integration.

The only trouble I see is that most episodes are shot long before they actually air. That gap will have to be closer if they really want the show to touch on happenings in the game world.

News Comments > Diablo III Claims Sales Record
118. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 24, 2012, 01:16 Doombringer

Prez wrote on May 23, 2012, 23:05:
I have mixed feelings about this amazing success. It's by no means a surprise of course, but the sheer magnitude of its success is astounding. On one hand it's awesome to see a PC game proving that PC gaming is alive and well. On the other hand, I worry that other publishers will extrapolate erroneous information from this and use it to further screw up singleplayer gaming. Diablo 3 was not a success simply because it can't be pirated; Blizzard is one of the biggest names in gaming and Diablo has a one-of-a-kind pedigree. Always-online singleplayer is a horrendously bad idea (and offensive to gamers) that needs to die, but I expect other publishers will feel this is a successful proof of concept for the hated practice.

We'll definitely see more of 'online authentication' and DRM-style locks, especially on consoles. As others here have said, publishers despise the secondary market that used games creates -- they see zero revenue from it. And really, I can't blame them for that.

The best solution will likely be to cut down on distribution/packaging costs and move toward the download model (even allowing gamers to bring memory cards into stores to complete their downloads there), if games are going to be locked to an 'account' and no longer tradeable. Lower the cost per game to close the gap and gamers will have less to complain about. It's the $49-$59 pricetag that drives a lot of players to buy used or go the rental route, after all.

News Comments > ZeniMax Trademarks Dragonborn
7. Re: ZeniMax Trademarks Dragonborn May 20, 2012, 17:28 Doombringer

Overon wrote on May 20, 2012, 16:37:
Dragonborn appears in Dungeons and Dragons. How can they trademark that?

It's like tramemarking "elf"

I imagine they can trademark certain uses/appearances/flavors of 'dragonborn' (i.e. anything involving their IP) but not all of "dragonborn." As you say, Wizards of the Coast used it before Bethesda, and someone else probably had it in a book somewhere a few decades ago, as well.

News Comments > Hold Your ME3 Save Games
3. Re: Hold Your ME3 Save Games Feb 4, 2012, 16:07 Doombringer

I'm thinking Mass Effect MMO, maybe MMO-FPS, picking up where 3 leaves off.  

News Comments > More Diablo III Cuts
49. Re: More Diablo III Cuts Jan 28, 2012, 10:23 Doombringer

I truly have to wonder... when I look back to the other changes they recently announced, and how one of the D3 devs left Blizzard right around that time...

I'm no tin-foil-hat type guy, but it seems really suspicious that all these changes would come very late in the game's development cycle, and at least one dev would publicly, though amicably, leave the company at the same time.

Perhaps some edicts came down from upper-upper management that at least one guy did not like. I can just imagine the brass saying "cut this, change this, we want X, Y and Z for future profits..."

28. Re: More Diablo III Cuts Jan 28, 2012, 00:10 Doombringer

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 22:39:
You folks do realize Vivendi already owned Blizzard and still hold a majority stake in ActivisionBlizzard prior to their merger with ACTV, right? I'd chalk this more up to Blizzard project management being permanent riders of the failboat than Activision.

Don't be naive. Blizzard's merger with Activision created... wow, ActivisionBlizzard. And it is at that time we started seeing some "interesting" changes in regards to how they were handling WoW, then SC2, and now apparently D3 (thank you, RMAH).

You could say Davidson & Associates had a "stake" in Blizzard... and then Vivendi... but I don't remember either of those entities grossly affecting how Blizzard made games. Nowadays, they're slipping in monetizations that would have had their devs rolling their eyes back in the 90's.

20. Re: More Diablo III Cuts Jan 27, 2012, 22:29 Doombringer

Whatever happened to When It's Done?

You can bet these will return as part of a patch/expansion with a dollar amount attached. In the case of "pets" I'm sure we'll see some on the Blizzard Store at the same time.

I remember those heady days of Warcraft 2, when it was more about making a kickass game... and not trying to milk a buyer's money-teat.

News Comments > Ads in Titan?
9. Re: Ads in Titan? Jan 23, 2012, 21:25 Doombringer

LOL. Well, there you go. It finally happened.

Or will happen. Bobby's strategic monetization group within Blizz has truly made its mark. The Blizzard of Olde is no more.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 22, 2012, 16:20 Doombringer

I truly do not understand how a company can fly so high... and then plummet so quickly. Hubris, I suppose.

They should have realized that, like Coke, you just don't mess with the formula. The minute they started fudging with the DVD versus Streaming portions of their business was the minute they started pissing off their customers.

News Comments > The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up
7. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 20, 2012, 23:37 Doombringer

Creston wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 23:18:
and again Bioware punishes people for playing their broken game in a way that's allowed by the system. Creston

Because this is the first time this has ever happened in any MMO, ever, and Bioware is the first developer to punish players for "creative use of game mechanics" ...

RIGHT. If I had a dollar for any time a developer had to rollback or take action against a player, guild or raid group for cheesing a loot system, Honor system, or in general using a bug to their advantage... I'd be a rich man.

Don't make Bioware out to be some huge badguy here. This happens very often, in many MMOs. Just recently, Blizzard took action against raids who cheesed the LFR loot system, exploiting it, in patch 4.3... a patch that was on PTR for weeks upon weeks.

News Comments > Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs
2. Strange... Jan 20, 2012, 21:29 Doombringer

Hmm. Just today, they announced they were making some major changes to the game... late in development. Removing a few features, reinstating the Town Portal, changing stats...  

News Comments > The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up
1. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 20, 2012, 21:25 Doombringer

Blizz would have rolled back Honor for everyone if these were shenanigans in WoW, so for BW to investigate and selectively penalize is a step in the right direction.  

News Comments > The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer
13. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 16:10 Doombringer

For one, canceling because of the Slicing or Biochem nerfs is ridiculous. That is the MMO equivalent of a child's rant, like stamping your feet or holding your breath. These professions were fundamentally Too Good and could not exist fairly alongside the other professions. Anyone who got upset about these nerfs would have probably also cancelled WoW when Stormherald's stuns were nerfed... again, because those stuns were simply Too Good. Look beyond the end of your own nose -- things might be great for you as a Biochem expert, but the guy who didn't get Biochem is feeling he made the wrong decision. Balance is key. And often, balancing and rebalancing happens many times throughout an MMO's lifetime.

But the Bioware goof with the cancellation option being unavailable or generally difficult to use? A major gaffe. They definitely have egg on their face for that.

Then again, I remember the Customer Service nightmare that was WoW in those initial months. And the subsequent nightmare, a few years later, with the Blizzard Store and BlizzCon tickets. Sometimes, these companies cannot perfect their backend systems... something breaks somewhere... nor can they always fully prepare for demand.

100 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo