Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Al

Real Name Al   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dr. D. Schreber
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 15, 2008, 07:06
Total Comments 911 (Graduate)
User ID 51686

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft II Protoss "Mini-Campaign"
4. Re: StarCraft II Protoss "Mini-Campaign" Jan 2, 2010, 14:40 Dr. D. Schreber

All this "Episodic gaming for regular prices each time" crap makes me glad I've never cared about this series. Need to get around to reinstalling DoW2...  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > US PC Game Retail Sales Sag
9. Re: US PC Game Sales Sag Dec 2, 2009, 23:29 Dr. D. Schreber

Bad as you think it is now, it was a hell of a lot worse in the mid-90s, where it was routine to spend close to $1000 for an entry-level PC that had no chance of running at least a third of the software in the same store where that PC was sold. If the big problem now boils down to whether a prebuilt system has (or can be upgraded with) a $50 discrete video card that greatly enhances generalized capabilities and allows newer games to at least creak by, that's relatively easy to fix.

Yeah, sometimes I wonder where I was during the "good ol' days" everyone seems to remember fondly. Nostalgia is really just a nicer word for "delusion" in most cases.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Trailer
4. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer Dec 1, 2009, 23:57 Dr. D. Schreber

...Wrex?

Goddammit.

News Comments > ARMA 2 Interview
12. Re: ARMA 2 Interview Dec 1, 2009, 03:18 Dr. D. Schreber

They've made many choices between fun and simulation and consistently chose the latter. Thing is, it's not even a very good simulator either. It fails at that too.

The real problem isn't even the boredom, it's the fact that, despite having so many gameplay mechanics based on realism, the game does not, at all, allow for suspension of disbelief. All the character models look and move like stiff planks of wood, and the Microsoft Sam squad chatter is inexcusably jarring. There's such a thing as acceptable breaks from reality; take Modern Warfare 2: Why does the modern Russian army use Soviet-era equipment plus guns not from Russia that aren't in use even in the countries that make them? Who cares, it's easy to ignore and enjoy the game regardless. ARMA 2 just breaks reality, period. For all of its dumbed-down "consolization," I had a much, much easier time getting into Dragon Rising. Even America's Army 3 gives you a more convincing environment.

News Comments > ARMA 2 Interview
7. Re: ARMA 2 Interview Dec 1, 2009, 00:35 Dr. D. Schreber

Hang in there and remember these guys are offering up one of the few alternatives to the console pc crossover watered down dumbed down vanilla generic experiences other companies are releasing.

Shame the game is so bogged down by awful performance and terrible presentation that it isn't any fun.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2009, 06:42 Dr. D. Schreber

Lets take responsibility for our actions before we start blaming others, k?

We're rather poor at that, sadly.

On a sidenote, I wonder if anyone who ever says "Nuke Country X to solve all our problems!" actually knows what Mutually Assured Destruction is and ever stops to think that there's a reason it hasn't actually happened other than the government being run by hippie tree loving gay-rights-giving liberal wieners.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details
29. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 17:20 Dr. D. Schreber

Anyone complaining about the inventory system clearly never played the console version, where it was infinitely worse. The PC version's inventory was like bread from heaven compared to that.

Bioware, you guys rock. Seriously.

Id like to see you guys in a modern warfare against other electronic arts and wanna be code masters. You guys are the true rockstars of PC gaming.

Obsidian doesn't have quite the pedigree Bioware does (especially considering Knights of the Old Republic 1 Vs. 2) but Alpha Protocol is basically Mass Effect IN SPACE IN THE ESPIONAGE GENRE.

News Comments > Deus Ex 3 a PC Exclusive?
2. Re: Deus Ex 3 a PC Exclusive? Nov 25, 2009, 17:17 Dr. D. Schreber

Now, if only there can be some assurance that they've managed to come up with a plot that is both awesome and capable of fitting before the first game takes place...

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2009, 17:18.

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Nov 24, 2009, 14:49 Dr. D. Schreber

I'm waiting for Bioware to mix things up just for shits and giggles by having the gay romance option in Mass Effect 2 be Grunt. Imagine those headlines...  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2009, 02:08 Dr. D. Schreber

Since I'm gay, do I have N-Word Privileges with homophobic slurs?

...sorry, had to say it.

News Comments > Crysis Back to the Future DeLorean
12. Re: Crysis Back to the Future DeLorean Nov 23, 2009, 18:02 Dr. D. Schreber

DOC: So, it may not be my name that ends up on that tombstone, it may be yours.
MARTY: ....great scott.
DOC: I know, this is heavy.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2009, 17:08 Dr. D. Schreber

Someone needs to tell Userfriendly that Modern Warfare is about as realistic as Unreal Tournament when it comes to ballistics and a John Wayne World War II movie when it comes to gore.

Besides, more hilarious VOIP chatter tends to occur in World at War when someone blows themselves up on their own Bouncing Betty, turns out to have Martyrdom on, and kills one of your teammates with that afterwards.

News Comments > New MW2 PC Petition
72. Re: New MW2 PC Petition Nov 22, 2009, 23:57 Dr. D. Schreber

Fun fact: the console versions actually render it in less than 720p and then stretch it out. I guess we're really getting on in years for the current-gen consoles...I don't even remember the last time I saw AA in a console game, that alone certainly makes a difference in this title on account of the resolution sillyness.

One of my roommates has it for the 360 and I had some grand ol' fun explaining this to him and showing him the difference. The fact that I run my PC to a 37" 1080p TV certainly helped. It's really striking, the way a decent PC title, even a straight-up port, looks like compared to the consoles at max-resolution with AA and AF enabled. Despite all the talk about how "graphics aren't going to get much better" etc etc, there's still plenty of ways to make games look better.

And then just to be a dick, I had him play maxed-out Crysis, too.

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Patch Plans
11. Re: Battlefield 2142 Patch Plans Nov 22, 2009, 21:41 Dr. D. Schreber

As with all of the BF games, I still despise how a guy can take multiple hits with an assault rifle at close range but the knife is an insta kill. Just thought I'd mention that...

You'd be surprised how often that situation is realistic. Probably not so much when you managed to dump half the mag into 'em, but it's quite common for people mortally wounded by bullets to still be on their feet and able to fight for a minute or two, just imagine they got the knife between your and through your heart as a justification for your instant death.

News Comments > Steam Bans Grey Market MW2 Keys
3. Re: Steam Bans Grey Market MW2 Keys Nov 20, 2009, 21:53 Dr. D. Schreber

Old wisdom: if a deal looks too good to be true, it is.  

News Comments > PC MW2 Outsells CoD4
7. Re: PC MW2 Outsells CoD4 Nov 20, 2009, 21:46 Dr. D. Schreber

Did anyone really expect a winning situation here? From I-Ward's perspective, either it would still sell well and validate their decisions, or it wouldn't sell well and invalidate their efforts in PC gaming. No way to win.

On the flipside, I'd say it's pretty much a given that those of us who bought it did so on the hope that we could trust the original's quality to shine through the bad decisions made for it, a hope that, so far, seems largely validated if for no other reason than enough people having bought it for the matchmaking to function properly. I don't think this is necessarily the start of a trend just because other developers have been "watching it closely." Other developers don't have the same advantage of brand recognition/loyalty that guarantees a success regardless of controversy; I'd wager even id doesn't have that guarantee with Rage, as much as they might think so. It's like when Steam was much newer and everyone hated it; Valve got away with requiring it for Half Life 2 because it was Half Life 2.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2009, 21:52.

70. Re: New MW2 PC Petition Nov 20, 2009, 14:37 Dr. D. Schreber

You know...gaming isn't all about "you". This is getting comical how upset some people are getting over the supposed disrespect toward PC gamers when they are LITERALLY being treated equally! HOW DARE YOU! "I'm not some lowly console gamer! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM!? I'm a PC GAMER SIR! How dare you treat me like every other gamer!!"

What does PC gaming self-centeredness have to do with this? I'm talking about business logic.

This isn't a company that caters to one audience, they make games for everyone and god forbid they treat everyone equally...

All platforms shouldn't be treated equally. That's absurd. Do developers downscale the graphics on the PS3 and 360 to be in-line with the Wii version of a game so everyone gets equal visuals? If the Wii is the lead SKU, does the developer simplify the controls or outright require the classic controller so the appeal of the system's motion controls doesn't give it an advantage over the other versions?

PCs as a gaming platform offer several advantages over the consoles, especially as you get into the later years of the current console generation. Better graphics in many ways (you don't even need better textures; crank the resolution up and throw on AA and see how the same textures look compared to 720p or MW2's fake 720p,) a better interface for some genres, and the ability to have dedicated servers, an objectively superior way of implementing multiplayer, which the closed nature of consoles doesn't allow.

But I shouldn't be annoyed when a developer takes a game I've looked forward to for some time and strips down these advantages to bring it more in-line with the consoles, especially after having a track record of taking advantage of these things in the past? The only possible reason for it is business.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2009, 14:04 Dr. D. Schreber

All of it is true. Our guild uses Vent. We had a couple members that constantly said very strong racial things. It got to the point where others had to ask them to stop. One even said, "You know my grandmother is black. Could you please stop saying nigger all the time. It hurts." I might add those that said those racial slurs are no longer with the guild. It's been very nice since they left. Of course we have more than a few girls in our guild who raid. Most of them are cool with the constant sexually suggestive comments via vent. I think most of the comments are innocent stuff (e.g. "I have no idea what your saying, I just like hearing your voice"). Some of them even play along.

This is the mentality I see more often than not. I think we're long passed the point where the phenomenon itself has become so saturated and overblown that those of us who have been on the intertubes for even just a couple of years and have half a brain cell have stopped caring to the extent that our behavior has turned into a pastiche of it. Groups of people who have played together for any amount of time can quite easily make what would be otherwise offensive jokes at each other for nothing more than a good laugh the lulz.

News Comments > Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors
9. Re: Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors Nov 18, 2009, 21:26 Dr. D. Schreber

I can't imagine a CoD MMO would be anything but related to the existing games in name only. You can't believably have any kind of free-roaming when your characters are in the military. I'd bet on it being set twenty years from now and every player-character works for a PMC.

MAG is beating them to this, really.

66. Re: New MW2 PC Petition Nov 18, 2009, 20:26 Dr. D. Schreber

Interesting. Evidently the code for leaning was left in the game. I wonder why they decided to take it out? It's almost like they wanted to piss off the PC community in every way possible.

This comment pops up everywhere there's controversy over a port, and the answer should be obvious; they do want to piss PC gamers off. They want the platform to die, because there is simply so much more money to be had on the consoles. I-Ward themselves said that they had to fight to get Activision to let them make CoD games on the consoles in the first place, because they were thought of as a PC developer. They actively sought to change this, and we can see how much of that change has actually happened; the 360 is their lead SKU and they're deliberately stripping out features that are considered standard on the PC. It's been said time and again that IWNet is nothing more than a way of turning PC multiplayer into Live, and the comparison is entirely valid. Even those of us who have bought the game and have had relatively little problems getting it to function wouldn't argue that.

It's no different than Microsoft deliberately delaying the Halo 1 and Halo 2 ports (back when they were under the impression PC gamers would actually go gaga for Halo) because they wanted PC gamers to buy their console to play it. Large publishers literally do not want our money anymore, because even if they make a hit game for the PC, it's a small fraction of what they can make on the consoles. It's a win-win; PC gamers will jump ship, meanings more in DLC revenue, or they just quit the hobby entirely in protest of the corporate mentality changing it these days; those who do the latter are meaningless, because if you're not willing to support the most efficient business model, they don't want anything to do with you.

I-Ward's effort is a little different; they're trying to bring the PC in line with the consoles so that the same business model will function on a platform which has always resisted the efforts of profit-driven business mentality to wring more dollars out of it. The end result is still the same; anyone who jumps ship is simply an undesirable whose small amount of money they don't want since others will commit to giving them a lot more over a period of time.

The fact that this thought process is somewhat erroneous is why PC gaming isn't actually dead; others reject this mentality because they see there's still money to be made on the PC when you have DLC that would be akin to what us old timers used to call expansion packs (in other words, DLC that PC gamers who actively revolt against corporate money-making mentality will still find worthwhile and buy) as well as the lack of licensing fees.

911 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo