Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Al

Real Name Al   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dr. D. Schreber
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 15, 2008, 07:06
Total Comments 910 (Graduate)
User ID 51686

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > New H.A.W.X. 2 Details
12. Re: New H.A.W.X. 2 Details May 27, 2010, 02:55 Dr. D. Schreber

Bet wrote on May 26, 2010, 17:49:
Haha, yeah, the plot is indeed terrible in 6. The action is pure, though. PSP, damn. Was hoping it would be for 360 or PS3. Alas. Thanks for brightening my day, I was afraid they were canning the series entirely.

Flight semi-sims really are falling into a niche like you said. Russians don't seem to be stepping in to fill the void like Oleg Maddox is with the IL-2 series/Storm of War, or the DCS developers, which is unfortunate.

I think the cycle seems so broken because Project Aces worked on some bizarre Japan-release-only air combat game based on another IP for the Wii after Ace Combat 6, so all the AC franchise has gotten are the leftovers (PSP and iPhone games.) As a wild guess, I think they're avoiding Strangereal because they're starting to realize that each time they advance the timeline, it gets closer and closer to Electrosphere and has to be written with that in mind. (That, and they're starting to run out of countries that haven't tried to conquer each other.)

Part of the reason I want more Ace Combat is to get another soundtrack. Goddamn but the guys who do the music for that series are good.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Patched, Mac Editions Released
18. Re: Half-Life 2 Patched, Mac Editions Released May 27, 2010, 02:42 Dr. D. Schreber

Thank you. I wish I'd known that.  

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Patched, Mac Editions Released
7. Re: Half-Life 2 Patched, Mac Editions Released May 26, 2010, 17:26 Dr. D. Schreber

Improved graphics? I imagine it's too much to ask that vanilla HL2 now has full HDR?

Ah well, I've been meaning to replay from the beginning for awhile, achievements are as good an excuse as any. I just wish Black Mesa Source would hurry up and finish.

5. Re: New H.A.W.X. 2 Details May 26, 2010, 17:22 Dr. D. Schreber

Ace Combat: Joint Ops, June 29th on the PSP.

Ace Combat 6 is nice, but I just can't stomach the plot. I can't imagine them ever topping 5 and Zero in sheer epicness.

Although, at least 6 didn't have that damned destroy-the-radar-in-synchronized-fashion BS mission.

News Comments > On The Next Splinter Cell
6. Re: On The Next Splinter Cell May 26, 2010, 15:51 Dr. D. Schreber

Glad I kept this as a rental. The gameplay has good ideas, but it's just ultimately mired in simplicity and linearity. The writing is like Modern Warfare had sex with 24 and out popped an autistic child. I never did get around to Double Agent so I don't know how it measured up, but previous installments didn't make me feel like I should be munching popcorn like I do for a mindless action flick; Conviction feels more like something you use to point out how silly and tacticool the Tom Clancy brand is, rather than something you'd use to defend it.

I'll get my sneaky-sneak fix when Peace Walker drops.

3. Re: New H.A.W.X. 2 Details May 26, 2010, 15:44 Dr. D. Schreber

I've never understood why everyone had a problem using the third-person cam, it made the game way too easy for me; I just want them to make it more challenging this time around, give me actual rewards for using the pathfinding mechanic. Also, make the game longer and the writing less retarded.

Of course, it never made much sense that everyone was somehow expecting any sim-like qualities, either, when it was clearly direct competition to Ace Combat from the start.

Really not looking good for this genre. This one'll be a console rental on account of Ubisoft's DRM sillyness, and the next Ace Combat isn't even set on Strangereal. I guess the genre's not much less niche than actual hardcore flight sims at this point.

News Comments > MS Gaming Shakeup?
7. Re: MS Gaming Shakeup? May 25, 2010, 13:31 Dr. D. Schreber

Let's not forget that a sale of a PC version of any game is more money for the publisher/developer since they don't need to pay the licensing fee, which is why 100k has always been the equivalent to selling a million on the consoles.

You're not going to see keyboard and mouse support on the next generation of consoles. The console market is seen as too casual for it; it may or may not be true, but the impression is that nearly all console gamers would find KB/M input too much trouble or too complicated. I can't be the only one who's had to listen to completely inane arguments about how a controller is superior for absolutely every game that consists of little more than "It just is!" It's not even a console gamer thing, just the usual human "I will never admit I don't have the superior method in any way, shape or form" thing.

Motion control is partially to blame for this. The games industry is, as a whole, not just PC gaming, locked in a cycle of stagnation right now. Gamers as a general rule are hard to impress and have short attention spans; we constantly need new things, be they graphical shinies or actual innovation, to keep us interested. When the Wii was first announced, a lot of its buzz wasn't over motion control, it was over being something new and different. Problem was, it failed to live up to that, so now we've got everyone copycatting something that's not bringing true innovation while the risk-aversion attitude stifles anything that might actually break the mold this generation. Input devices more complex than a standard controller will have to come eventually to keep people interested, but the short-term planning that goes on in this industry is incredibly short-sighted. If there's another big crash, there will be no amount of endless bickering and finger-pointing over who and what caused it, when the reality will be that the industry simply refuses to plan for anything that stops players form getting bored.

News Comments > Singularity Trailer
2. Re: Singularity Trailer May 22, 2010, 00:16 Dr. D. Schreber

I've kept up on some of the media and interviews, and it seems like there are pretty heavy balance mechanics to go along with it. Age and Revert take time (no pun intended) for their full effects to follow through on your target, so you can't just age a room full of bad guys by a hundred years and call it a day. You get upgrades later in the game to shorten the time it takes for the full effect to work. Since you can still be shot at while using the TMD, it's supposed to be just as much about manipulating the environment as it is pointing it right at an enemy, like reverting wrecked boxes to make cover, or aging the enemy's cover into dust so you can shoot them easily. I'm guessing Deadlock will have a hefty refire delay.

Also, parts of the game take place in the past where the island was still fully occupied by the Red Army; they're poorly-trained conscripts with inferior weapons, but they come in much greater numbers than the present-day Russian spec-ops and, assuming the game design actually holds up to what they've said they're going for, you'll have to use the TMD smartly to even the odds.

News Comments > SEGA Genesis Games for PCs Next Month
27. Re: SEGA Genesis Games for PCs Next Month May 22, 2010, 00:08 Dr. D. Schreber

With the dirt-cheap prices I'll gladly pay to own re-releases of these; 16-bit emulators just never feel quite right to me, though I imagine I'm just weird in that respect.

C'mon, Sega, gimmie Sonic CD and Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side.

Actually, as long as I'm being wishful, give me a new Eternal Champions on a current-gen system.

News Comments > Top Gun Announced
9. Re: Top Gun Announced May 20, 2010, 23:38 Dr. D. Schreber

I remember the Top Gun game for the PS1. It had a cover of "Highway to the Danger Zone" sung by the chick who does the english dub for Major Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell; made the song a lot less flaming. The plotline, such as it was, dispensed with Goose, gave you Merlin played by someone less dorky-looking than Tim Robbins from the get-go, kept James Tolkan as the CAG, and was all-around more entertaining and less gay than the movie. It'll probably be better compared to the new one.

This is also better than the actual movie.

News Comments > Prima Guides on Steam
7. Re: Prima Guides on Steam May 20, 2010, 23:32 Dr. D. Schreber

The overlay functionality is actually pretty clever. I don't need the convenience of not alt-tabbing to Gamefaqs when I need a guide so much that I'll pay for it, but I imagine some will find it worth it. It's about time strategy guides have actually innovated; I can't imagine how they've still sold as more and more people have gotten easier Internet access.

Also, Prima is dildos. Anyone remember Versus Books? Those were some damn nice guides; many laughs over the Resident Evil Happy Fun Land alone.

News Comments > Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme
46. Re: Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme May 19, 2010, 18:57 Dr. D. Schreber

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on May 19, 2010, 13:50:
Wonder how far away we are from the endings being in new purchase only and 10 bucks extra for used.

CliffyB was talking about this concept like it's a genius idea after Hears 2 dropped, after he raged about twice the amount of people playing than the number who bought it.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 "Point Man" Trailer
11. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 "Point Man" Trailer May 19, 2010, 18:49 Dr. D. Schreber

...uh, yeah.  

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 "Point Man" Trailer
4. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 May 19, 2010, 15:59 Dr. D. Schreber

Caveman wrote on May 19, 2010, 15:34:
Wow Monolith way to butcher your games even further. First off, where the hell did Paxton come from? You shot him in the fucking face in the first game. Also, no more replica soldiers? Why is there a co-op mode in a horror game? It's going to destroy the little atmosphere left. I mean I love the first game, the second was alright, but this is not FEAR. And since when did Pointman get a face that looks almost like Nicolas Cage? What's the deal with Beckett and pregnant Alma?

Shame on you Monolith, FEAR 1 is one my favorite games ever(still scares the crap out of me for the most part) but this is just not cool at all.

I will only get this if they bring Norton Mapes back.

How Fettel comes back is covered up-front in the Fear 2 DLC. There's no co-op bot if you don't have a second player, Fettel will only appear in cutscenes if such is the case. With two players, Fettel has less health than the Point Man, but he can possess enemies, use telekinesis, and find shortcuts (possibly leading to supply caches or supplemental plot) with his psychic powers. If it turns out to work how they're saying it will, it won't be like L4D where cooperation is necessary for progression. Whether or not Point Man and Fettel share resources and how well they cooperate is up to the players; the ending will be ultimately determined by how the players behave towards each either, either one converting to the other's cause or both coming to blows.

The game picks up nine months after Fear 2 just before Alma is set to pop with Beckett's kid. The child will an immensely powerful psychic and Alma's plan is to use it as the anti-christ. Helping or stopping her is one of the choices both players will have to make, possibly in opposition to each other.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins - The Darkspawn Chronicles Released
11. Re: Dragon Age: Origins - The Darkspawn Chronicles Released May 19, 2010, 02:52 Dr. D. Schreber

It also cuts down on credit card transactions, which means they pay less to the credit card companies since plenty of customers know they're going to buy a lot from the marketplace and buy more points than they need for just their next purchase. There are some articles floating around the intertubes on people getting temp-banned from Live for buying low-point values multiple times a month.

This is why the Playstation Network uses real money values but still has a "wallet" you can only add certain amounts to before spending on actual online-store purchases.

News Comments > On Aging Gamers
8. Re: On Aging Gamers May 18, 2010, 03:33 Dr. D. Schreber

The larger challenge for any part of the entertainment industry is convincing the younger demographics to put serious time and energy into their product. Not that personal responsibility should just be thrown aside, but society encourages a culture of workaholism to the point where people are guilt-tripped for having free time, enjoying it, looking forward to it, etc. If you want to stop gamers from giving up their games as they get older and have more to do in the real world, you need to convince them it's a hobby instead of a time-waster.  

News Comments > Epic on Piracy and PCs
11. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 13:08 Dr. D. Schreber

Natural Selection 2, Primal Carnage and Interstellar Marines are fine examples of games giving people what they want, quality.

Mount&Blade:Warband has made quite a profit and though it's ugly, it's one of the most fun games I've ever played in years.

That's hardly convincing. Even if I cared about all four of those games, four games over the course of the several years they've been/are being released at is hardly a robust library. And I don't, not even because I think there are quality problems, but because the ideas don't interest me in the slightest.

By and large, video games cost money to make, and any good developer who knows how to make a good game can always do more with more money regardless of their skill. Dudes toiling away in a garage hoping they can finish a few more lines of code and ship before starving to death feels like the high ground because we like to root for underdogs.

News Comments > Epic on Piracy and PCs
6. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 12:50 Dr. D. Schreber

...much as I enjoy World of Goo and Audiosurf, I somehow doubt indie devs taking over the PC will somehow either result in actual full-sized games or a return to the supposed golden-days of PC gaming. Everyone seems to think Deus Ex was made in a garage.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization May 15, 2010, 23:12 Dr. D. Schreber

The only thing about Hulk Hogan anyone should ever pay attention to is this.  

News Comments > New CoD Domains
8. Re: New CoD Domains May 15, 2010, 12:11 Dr. D. Schreber

I'd be happier with another expansion for Battlefield 2142.  

910 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo